Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? (/showthread.php?tid=10645)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Verad - 03-20-2015

The Socratic method never actually works, you know.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 03:05 PM)Verad Wrote: The Socratic method never actually works, you know.

It works at getting people mad at least. Maybe he was just trying to piss people off all along, and Plot misinterpreted it as a philosophical system.

Socrates, History's first recorded troll.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 02:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: The reason I'd asked was to demonstrate. I have no ownership over Nat's characters (her "brands" so to speak) but I've got free reign to ask to use them if needed. That still doesn't give me permission to do anything outlandish with them, the question isn't "Hey Nat, can I borrow Eva for a while?" I can't come back later and explain that the road was icy and Eva's in a snowbank somewhere.

Roleplayers shared the world we're all in on a direct level. In world RP, we don't even really have NPCs or anything. I think the fear of being a Sue or godmoding comes from wanting the relative power level to not lean too far in one writer's direction, outside of course of events where you effectively give consent to be there. If I sign up for a snowball fight, I should expect that other writers are going to enact snowballs on me.

Edit: I suppose I should have told her that.

That is a good point Warren. I suppose then it relies on the tact of the person playing the 'mary sue'.

I sort of advise alts for that sort of high powered RP anyway. Being a dragon or a noble or something is cool, but it locks you out of all the day to day, teaparty and dagger RP.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Warren Castille - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 03:10 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 02:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: The reason I'd asked was to demonstrate. I have no ownership over Nat's characters (her "brands" so to speak) but I've got free reign to ask to use them if needed. That still doesn't give me permission to do anything outlandish with them, the question isn't "Hey Nat, can I borrow Eva for a while?" I can't come back later and explain that the road was icy and Eva's in a snowbank somewhere.

Roleplayers shared the world we're all in on a direct level. In world RP, we don't even really have NPCs or anything. I think the fear of being a Sue or godmoding comes from wanting the relative power level to not lean too far in one writer's direction, outside of course of events where you effectively give consent to be there. If I sign up for a snowball fight, I should expect that other writers are going to enact snowballs on me.

Edit: I suppose I should have told her that.

That is a good point Warren. I suppose then it relies on the tact of the person playing the 'mary sue'.

I sort of advise alts for that sort of high powered RP anyway. Being a dragon or a noble or something is cool, but it locks you out of all the day to day, teaparty and dagger RP.

Yeah, precisely. I'm fairly confident saying that the RPC doesn't really have many true "Sue" type characters. I think a large portion of it, actually, comes from just being naive enough to think that a character who is super good at everything, is friends with everyone, and has only convenient weaknesses is functionally a fun or good character for other people to play with. It's not fun to be telling a sleuthing story only for Superman to show up having already caught the thieves, or to be telling a combat story and have Supes throw everyone into the sun, or be telling a dramatic story and have Superman come up and immediately solve everything.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Warren Castille - 03-20-2015

[Image: i-QHvrLCn-1050x10000.jpg]

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Kou - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 03:18 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: [Image: i-QHvrLCn-1050x10000.jpg]
Superman, as a character, makes me so mad.

I have nothing else to add to this conversation.
You're all beautiful people, stay classy.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Kismet - 03-21-2015

(03-20-2015, 11:49 PM)Kou Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 03:18 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: [Image: i-QHvrLCn-1050x10000.jpg]
Superman, as a character, makes me so mad.

I have nothing else to add to this conversation.
You're all beautiful people, stay classy.

Blog post is related... XD

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Blackmanga - 05-26-2015

Quote:A lot of sense, actually, until I decide to dig into it. So here's my two cents. 

The idea that Mary Sue insinuates some sort of hatred towards the female gender,

She said it was sexist, she didn't say it was misogynistic.

Quote:or that female characters alone can be terrifyingly bad, is just wrong.

An she didn't say that at all. Her point is that males are just as bad, but rarely get called out on it. (compared to females). 

Quote:Not long after Mary Sue was coined as a term to describe a specific character mold, and not just the name of a dumb protagonist of a poorly written fanfiction, we came up with a male analogue that meant the same. Whether you call it Gary or Marty Sue, or even John Doe, there exists a term whose mere existence completely contradicts the perceived bias towards women in the bad characters department.

You're not getting the concept pal. CactuarThis is why it's a false equivalence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue#Criticism

She quoted one as saying "Every time I've tried to put a woman in any story I've ever written, everyone immediately says, this is a Mary Sue." Smith also pointed out that "Participants in a panel discussion in January 1990 noted with growing dismay that any female character created within the community is damned with the term Mary Sue."

Smith quotes an issue of the Star Trek fanzine Archives[sup][9][/sup] as identifying "Mary Sue" paranoia as one of the sources for the lack of "believable, competent, and identifiable-with female characters."
Cantor interviews her sister Edith, also an amateur editor, who says she receives stories with cover letters apologizing for the tale as "a Mary Sue", even when the author admits she does not know what a "Mary Sue" is.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue#cite_note-11][/url]

Gary Stu is not nearly as casually and readily applied. Not is it's effect on writers of male characters, ever been documented as inhibiting creativity. Nor has  there ever been a community where any male character created is called a Gary Stu. Nor does this happen with Gary Stu:  At Clippercon 1987 (a Star Trek fan convention held yearly in Baltimore, Maryland), Smith interviewed a panel of female authors who say they do not include female characters in their stories at all. She quoted one as saying "Every time I've tried to put a woman in any story I've ever written, everyone immediately says, this is a Mary Sue.

Female writers not incluing female characters in their stories at all is a highly unnatural and disturbing state of affairs, especially when done out of fear of a two word label. 

If you can get on a panel, you're not likely to be a bad writer, or writing "self-indulgent special snowflake characters who always get their way" But they've been scarred regardless, such is the damaging potential of Mary Sue. Without that label, "critics" would have to admit that they don't want female characters getting involved. Or involved too much, and certainly not the star. 
Does all that apply to Gary Stu? No. So "Gary Stu" is not a valid rebuttal to the idea that Mary Sue is sexist as Mary Sue often masks sexism in a way Gary Stu does not.

Does all that apply to Gary Stu? No. So "Gary Stu" is not a valid rebuttal to the idea that Mary Sue is sexist. We know "Gary Stu" exists. That's not the point.

(Gary Stu has no business being used either)

Quote:These self-indulgent special snowflake characters who always get their way are universally bad whether they are male or female.

Yami Yugi (The Pharoah [Yugioh]) almost always wins (only ever lost twice and once was against the modern day version of himself). Tyson from Beyblade never lost clean in a singles battle in season 2 and 3. Kid Goku from Dragonball GT. All decent. 

If it were a female in Yugi's role though the accusations of Mary Sue woud pile up extremely fast. An ancient spirit titled the queen of games who wins any game she tries to play is admired by her friends and has two dudes one liking the younger and the other the older persona. She wins every tournament she enters and wields the three gods of Egypt.   

MAAAAARRRRY SSUUUUEEEEEE.

Quote: We're not implying bad characters are usually, or even have to be female.

No, but it's evident that the female ones are more readily called bad. And god help her if she tries to romance the fan favourite.

Quote:If I concede anything, Mary Sue did come first, but that's just because of timing, and not malicious intent. Mary Sue would still exist if Marty came first. because stupidity is not prejudiced.

"Marty" would never have come first. Understand that the amount of female power fantasy characters are VASTLY outnumbered by the male ones in published media. Thus females had a greater need to add women avatars to live the power fantasy with characters they could directly relate to, and express it through fanfics. The predictable backlash resulted in Mary Sue.

Quote:If I'm finding anything offensive, right now, I'd say it's the Tumblr post. The question it asks seems loaded, designed to generate as much controversy and hatred as possible, and when broken down, it's quite opinionated. What does this remind me of?

Ask yourself what is wrong with a young inexperienced writer publishing a story that makes her feel powerful. What does calling her character a non-character (Mary Sue) really accomplish beyond being upsetting? I'd say that's troll posting.

Quote:Oh right. Troll-posting.

Dehumanizing the writer has no place in even semi intellectual discourse.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Verad - 05-26-2015

I agree with what you're saying, strange black-cloaked figure engaging in dark and foul thread sorcery, but this is some serious necromancy right here.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Edgar - 05-26-2015

AAAAAAAAAH ZOMBIE

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Verranicus - 05-26-2015

Fact: Tumblr thinks everything is sexist, racist, ableist, etc.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Max - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 06:47 PM)Verranicus Wrote: Fact: Tumblr thinks everything is sexist, racist, ableist, etc.
literally triggered

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Flashhelix - 05-26-2015

if there's one thread that didn't need a necro, it's this one

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - allgivenover - 05-26-2015

Disappointing that a white knight created an account JUST to defend this tumblr post none of us have thought of in months with a quote from a 1987 convention.

Certainly nothing has changed since then.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Blackmanga - 05-26-2015

So what, I'm supposed to start an entire new topic to reply to someone here? 

I won't be silenced by your "necro" crap.