Hydaelyn Role-Players
Post here if you want to be a brat - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Post here if you want to be a brat (/showthread.php?tid=9690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:10 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Writer's block.

I had an idea for a crime caper, started it, and am now petering out in the midpoint. I know where I want my story to go but keep running over plot holes, nonsensical decisions and keep getting the urge to just leap forward in time and get to the "Good" parts.

Oh oh, we can talk about the stuff we hate about ourselves, too? I could go on for days about the little nuances about myself I hate.

Seriously, though, I feel you on the writing thing. It's not so much writer's block for me as it is... petering out of motivation. A large part of it comes from hoping, begging for someone to look at it and let me know something - good or bad. If it's good, I'm perked up and energized to continue. If it's bad, then I can go "Oh, that needs to be fixed" and try to correct what I did wrong.

But if there's... nothing? That's when the petering out occurs. I start thinking that my work is so... blase that it isn't even worthy of attention. Then I start wondering if it's even worth it if no one is going to read it, and it all just snowballs from there. Which is why with my little Gogon story, I keep glancing at the number of views to see if it changed - seeing it tick up by even one or two helps negate that feeling just a little bit.

I've had several other writing projects that I started on that I just... gave up on because all desire and motivation for it evaporated from my own chronic worry that no one cared. It's kinda selfish, really.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Zhavi - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:17 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 01:10 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Writer's block.

I had an idea for a crime caper, started it, and am now petering out in the midpoint. I know where I want my story to go but keep running over plot holes, nonsensical decisions and keep getting the urge to just leap forward in time and get to the "Good" parts.

Oh oh, we can talk about the stuff we hate about ourselves, too? I could go on for days about the little nuances about myself I hate.

Seriously, though, I feel you on the writing thing. It's not so much writer's block for me as it is... petering out of motivation. A large part of it comes from hoping, begging for someone to look at it and let me know something - good or bad. If it's good, I'm perked up and energized to continue. If it's bad, then I can go "Oh, that needs to be fixed" and try to correct what I did wrong.

But if there's... nothing? That's when the petering out occurs. I start thinking that my work is so... blase that it isn't even worthy of attention. Then I start wondering if it's even worth it if no one is going to read it, and it all just snowballs from there. Which is why with my little Gogon story, I keep glancing at the number of views to see if it changed - seeing it tick up by even one or two helps negate that feeling just a little bit.

I've had several other writing projects that I started on that I just... gave up on because all desire and motivation for it evaporated from my own chronic worry that no one cared. It's kinda selfish, really.

I think that it's a normal desire to want to share what you've created. We are social creatures, after all.

I get the same way. I like having feedback, especially with writing stuff, because while it's fun and nice to enjoy your work, it's so much better to experience it with someone else. And when you get nothing, you're right -- it does feel like, in some way, you're doing something terribly wrong and you have no idea how to fix it. It's easy to feel like there is no way to fix it, because it is just that bad.

Learning how to be a fair critic to yourself is pretty much the hardest thing ever, at least for me.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Aya - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:23 PM)Zhavi Wrote: I like having feedback, especially with writing stuff, because while it's fun and nice to enjoy your work, it's so much better to experience it with someone else.
That's just because your writing is amazing Zhavi ^_~

(I get the writer's block issue more often with poetry than stories, I guess I usually write stories in a single sitting so I don't get the opportunity to lose myself, poems though I often find inspiration, get started, and then realize its all gone.. only to leave it unfinished until maybe I can come back to it with fresh inspiration in the future Smile )

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Warren Castille - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:17 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Oh oh, we can talk about the stuff we hate about ourselves, too? I could go on for days about the little nuances about myself I hate.

The evils of the view counter. You could do what I tend to do: completely unsolicited PMs asking people what they think about it. Works especially if you catch anyone in the thread. I've shamelessly peppered folks with rants and ramblings on my work before, and just sent someone a lengthy PM spoiling my whole plot and asking for help.

I like the plot with Gogonji. To be totally honest, I wondered if you were going down an eldritch horror route and were going to have him intellectually frankensteined by the time it ended; I loved the bits about him losing himself in the memories and wondered if we'd see much more of that. An old-fashioned case of being brainjacked and forgetting his research would have been classic horror stuff. Regardless, I'm all on board the current angle. I've often said the difference between revenge and justice is how popular your actions are, and I love seeing that boundary pushed.

You keep writing it, I'll keep reading it!

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Aya - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:26 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I like the plot with Gogonji.
Gogoonji.  Chachan the Goon?

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Maril - 02-06-2015

So living in a country where having a bicycle is pretty essential according to the norm, I wish I could sit people down and get them to understand that people on bicycles with a battery to boost the speed up hills are not challenging them to a race. A race which they will lose, and/or inconvenience the person whom they appear to have challenged by going slowly in front of them. Which is a problem when the bicycle you're on generally speaking also is quite a bit heavier, going up the hill without the battery on is a kind of torture my legs were never meant to go through. So the only option is to stop up and wait for them to get far enough ahead that you can regulate the speed well enough. 

Quite a bit of a first world problem but.. Yeah.. They're designed to go faster than a regular bicycle for a reason ; ; I can otherwise recommend investing in one, it's meant that I do not have to take public transport at all (and I do not need a car either) because I can tackle all of the hills around here (my town is basically just one big hill, a little bit of flat valley and then another big hill on the other side), much cheaper and faster compared to walking, and also gets me a bit of exercise.

...so a couple of PMs and a post later, and I have the most fun thing I've written IC in a long while. Woo!

(02-06-2015, 01:42 PM)Aya Wrote:

Chachan's older brother! He's plot important for the little guy. But that's IG stuff and not so much IRL stuffs. ... Minus all the self-panicking stuff I wrote earlier, since it involves the story with him in it.

Continuing my self-deprecation a little bit. I mentioned several times my dislike of other drivers. However, I find sometimes I find myself getting angry at car wrecks for holding me up. It's usually followed up by me wondering what the hell is wrong with me - people could be seriously hurt or injured and I'm upset at them because it's going to take another few minutes to get by the accident itself.

... Then I usually remember that it's less the people in the accident that upset me so much as ALL THE NITWITS WHO HAVE TO SLOW DOWN TO TAKE A LOOK. I'm still upset at the initial slowdown (which still makes me feel a little angry at myself), but it gets cranked to eleven when a bunch of demented drivers feel the need to ogle the accident and further cause congestion.

YES, IT'S AN ACCIDENT. IT HAPPENS. HOPE EVERYONE IS OKAY AND MOVE ON. Get your damn schadenfreude somewhere where you're not holding up three lanes of traffic trying to squeeze past the wreck.

(02-06-2015, 02:21 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Continuing my self-deprecation a little bit. I mentioned several times my dislike of other drivers. However, I find sometimes I find myself getting angry at car wrecks for holding me up. It's usually followed up by me wondering what the hell is wrong with me - people could be seriously hurt or injured and I'm upset at them because it's going to take another few minutes to get by the accident itself.

... Then I usually remember that it's less the people in the accident that upset me so much as ALL THE NITWITS WHO HAVE TO SLOW DOWN TO TAKE A LOOK. I'm still upset at the initial slowdown (which still makes me feel a little angry at myself), but it gets cranked to eleven when a bunch of demented drivers feel the need to ogle the accident and further cause congestion.

YES, IT'S AN ACCIDENT. IT HAPPENS. HOPE EVERYONE IS OKAY AND MOVE ON. Get your damn schadenfreude somewhere where you're not holding up three lanes of traffic trying to squeeze past the wreck.

Nuh-uh. Not allowed to feel guilty for being mad at rubberneckers. Those people all deserve to have their fingers caught in their doors.

I'm also guilty of the "Someone better be fucking DEAD for all of this delay!" but I've just accepted that as part of myself. I don't earnestly want anyone to be hurt, and I always hope it's just a cop pulling a customer over that causes the delay, but it's natural for people to not want to be inconvenienced. When things don't go accordingly, we get annoyed. That's normal.

This week alone I've had a carbeque turn my 30~minute commute into a 50 minute one, and a cop pulling someone over at a specific junction caused my commute in to work take nearly an hour because the beltway can suck approximately every dick on the east coast.

Like you said: Cars have us as captive audiences. Do what I do: Turn the radio to 98Rock, and if that's in commercials hit DC101. They don't overlap so it should never be commercials (98 is on :15 and :45 while 101 is :30 and :00.).

MUSIC, BITCHES. IT'S AWESOME.

(02-06-2015, 02:26 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Like you said: Cars have us as captive audiences. Do what I do: Turn the radio to 98Rock, and if that's in commercials hit DC101. They don't overlap so it should never be commercials (98 is on :15 and :45 while 101 is :30 and :00.).

MUSIC, BITCHES. IT'S AWESOME.

... Those... those are the exact same two stations I use. What the hell. Laugh

(02-06-2015, 03:41 PM)Gegenji Wrote: ... Those... those are the exact same two stations I use. What the hell. Laugh

That, my friend, is because we have taste.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Naunet - 02-07-2015

(02-05-2015, 02:46 PM)C Wrote: Whilst I won't post my rant about commuting by bike, I will be smug about the amount of maintenance my chosen steed takes. I'd say I spend under $50 a year, most of which is in tires and inner tubes. There's also the extra benefit that my ass is fantastic!

I really wish I could commute via bike.

Alas, I really do not want to ride my bike 20 miles to work in the morning and 20 miles back. Especially not when there's no real way to get to work aside from taking interstates, toll roads, and extremely busy thoroughfares. >_< Was even worse when I was living in far west Houston and commuting to far north.

I don't necessarily mind driving, though. NPR's morning edition is at least entertaining, and if I get bored of that, I can pop in a CD.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Ha'uruh Nunh - 02-07-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:21 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 01:42 PM)Aya Wrote:

Chachan's older brother! He's plot important for the little guy. But that's IG stuff and not so much IRL stuffs. ... Minus all the self-panicking stuff I wrote earlier, since it involves the story with him in it.

Continuing my self-deprecation a little bit. I mentioned several times my dislike of other drivers. However, I find sometimes I find myself getting angry at car wrecks for holding me up. It's usually followed up by me wondering what the hell is wrong with me - people could be seriously hurt or injured and I'm upset at them because it's going to take another few minutes to get by the accident itself.

I extensively cursed out the multiple cars involved in an accident that shut down three lanes of the Beltway the other day.  Felt a bit bad about it afterwards, but better to blister the air with profanities in the privacy of your car than take it out on people who you can actually interact with.

I felt even worse when I saw the complete shreds of one of the cars involved.  I'm a horrible person.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kage - 02-07-2015

Apartment living.

The cable line that also does tv and phone (even though we don't use them) is bad. Cox, my ISP confirms this. Other apartments don't have this bad of an issue but mine does. Shit happens a lot.

Now must get leasing involved because we don't own the line and the apartments do. Need them to give the ok to drop a new line or have an electrician (this one most likely) come in and drop one.

/argh

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Parvacake - 02-07-2015

Computer maintenance and troubleshooting can choke on a fat, disgustingly hairy chode and die.

For realz.

Since my computer went out over a week ago and came back to me on Tuesday, there's been small little problems here and there. For example, my cat knocked over my tower and fucked with my HDMI-to-DVI cable so that the metal encasing around the little connecting bits popped off and you cant just put that back on. Had to get a new one. Showed the guy the part, he gave me one that was shorter and more rounded and said it would work just fine for the scenario I described.

Of course, being a dummy, I took it on blind faith and went back home. It's too fat to fit besides the HDMI for my other monitor, and I'm so used to multitasking with work stuff that having one monitor cuts my system in half. It sucks ; ;

Then I notice that the main fan in the back of the tower is off. Which is alarming. Sooooo I take off the panels and start studying the wiring and poking inside. Took me half an hour before I saw that the switch had gone from 'turbo' to 'silent'. Switched it back and fixed!

While many of these are all small, independent  little tweaks and solutions, they've all been popping up at once lately that it's made me go RRRAAWWWRRRRRR STAAAHHHPPPPP.