Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Restriction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung Restriction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=9805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Atoli - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 03:47 PM)Blue Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 03:21 PM)Kage Wrote: I only have ideas based on what I've seen the servers/worlds operate. Since we don't know concretely the percentages of the population (who's online, what is online), it's harder to know what truly locks it down. Right now? Concurrent logged in people seems to be the forerunner considering that maintenance has a time when people squeeze through

Personally I still think what determines the server lock is the simultaneous log ins. And if you think about it, that is also explained by the fact that the maintenance has a time when people squeeze through. Nobody logs in when a maintenance is about to begin.

You also notice that post-maintenance server openings for character creator are longer when the servers go back up at hours in which NAs are asleep/at work/at school, while they're shorter if the servers come back during NAs prime log in time (afternoon/evening).

That at least is my main suspicion that makes me think currently online people have little blame in server lock out (they might have it in server congestion, but that is another issue, one that when rised will lock transfers from other servers as well), and as such that the AFK boot feature will have little merit in that field. Personally I think the main blame goes to the Lobby Server which, while it has been updated in 2.1 (with the disappearance of the outrageously big log in queues), clearly is still not good enough for the current mass of logging-in players our server has to endure.

Something to also take into consideration is that before maintenance they always ask people to log out before the servers go down, and after maintenance a lot of players have moved on to do other things outside of the game or are logging in again. The latter being said, with that in mind, it actually makes more sense for creation to be based around those currently logged in, especially considering that every server DOES have a maximum players online limit.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kailia - 02-17-2015

God the logic of some of them people in my thread... apparently roleplayers are the number one problem for Balmung, nope not the RMT bots, only RPers. And we should shut up and get off their server, especially if we are paying $14.99 to have more than 1 character on a server. Oh and we should also stay locked out to prevent RMT spam too, instead of demanding SE address the issue. Basically any complaints we have, we should shut up about and go away according to a lot of them posters.

How are these people thinking up this garbage?! They are even also trying to claim character data, that is stored on a different server, is what prevents new characters from being made. And apparently I am the most evilest of people because I have 6 characters, and want to make a 7th. This is just frustrating.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

And this is why the official forums are never a good tool in any game.

(02-17-2015, 05:21 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: And this is why the official forums are never a good tool in any game.

O_o and now I just had my life and my friends lives threatened.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/220295-Dear-SE-please-unlock-Balmung?p=2785692&viewfull=1#post2785692

Quote:I still think my idea is one of the best.

"accidental death" to a group of like 100-200 of you and your friends alts which would make room lol.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kage - 02-17-2015

They're actually just hoping "you and your friends' alts" get deleted and not actually a death threat to your person but still. :/ Uncalled for.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - FreelanceWizard - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 05:21 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: And this is why the official forums are never a good tool in any game.

Properly moderated they can be (CoH had some really good forums, I think), but the official XIV forums, much like the official WoW and EQ forums, are... not. Cry

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 05:36 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Properly moderated they can be (CoH had some really good forums, I think), but the official XIV forums, much like the official WoW and EQ forums, are... not. Cry

I was on those... eh. I just perused the dev tracker because that was the only thing that mattered.

(02-17-2015, 05:36 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

Properly moderated they can be (CoH had some really good forums, I think), but the official XIV forums, much like the official WoW and EQ forums, are... not. Cry

Yeah I mostly goto the official forum now to read the dev tracker posts. But given I been trying to make a gladiator alt for 3 days straight, and am not getting enough sleep cuz getting up every hour to try the server, I thought I'd make a post on the official forums. Some of them people on that forum, can be outright vicious.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Naunet - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 04:11 PM)Kage Wrote: Once it starts hitting it characters stop being able to be created... and we're seeing it.

If the server was hitting some kind of storage cap, people wouldn't be able to even transfer characters. Character creation is on its own lobby server anyway (as evidenced by how you don't even pick your server until the very end), so I am not so sure the problem is some sort of Balmung population-induced cap. I think the blame falls on their horrendous login/lobby servers, which would make sense considering those were the things that have ALWAYS caused the worst of the game's connection problems.

This whole thing just smells really fishy to me. If Balmung was hitting its population cap, they'd shut down transfers too. But oh, wait! Transfers earn them money.

Yup. That's why.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - allgivenover - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 06:54 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 04:11 PM)Kage Wrote: Once it starts hitting it characters stop being able to be created... and we're seeing it.

If the server was hitting some kind of storage cap, people wouldn't be able to even transfer characters. Character creation is on its own lobby server anyway (as evidenced by how you don't even pick your server until the very end), so I am not so sure the problem is some sort of Balmung population-induced cap. I think the blame falls on their horrendous login/lobby servers, which would make sense considering those were the things that have ALWAYS caused the worst of the game's connection problems.

This whole thing just smells really fishy to me. If Balmung was hitting its population cap, they'd shut down transfers too. But oh, wait! Transfers earn them money.

Yup. That's why.

*Quietly hands Naunet a tinfoil hat.*

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Naunet - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 07:13 PM)allgivenover Wrote: *Quietly hands Naunet a tinfoil hat.*

It's so shiny! *polishes*

But seriously.

"We don't have any room for more people here! Completely full! Oh, what was that? You want to send us $18? Well, lookee here, seems I missed an empty space..."

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - allgivenover - 02-17-2015

I think that has more to do with them not wanting to completely eliminate the ability to play with your friends altogether than it is some scheme to force more money out of people. It's just a way to push new people away from the high population servers, and their desire to do that is more about trying to shore up populations with smaller servers than there being a hard limit on Balmung's capacity (I don't think there is one, since SE seems to handle population limits by zone rather than be server).

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 07:39 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I think that has more to do with them not wanting to completely eliminate the ability to play with your friends altogether than it is some scheme to force more money out of people. It's just a way to push new people away from the high population servers, and their desire to do that is more about trying to shore up populations with smaller servers than there being a hard limit on Balmung's capacity (I don't think there is one, since SE seems to handle population limits by zone rather than be server).

Those zones still have to be on servers though. (hopefully split up) ...so I guess a "full" server would be one in which every zone was so full, nobody could move off. ...but I'd have to assume the login server would -never- let it get that bad, because that would be completely stupid. 

...I think this is also why our zones are aren't massive. Imagine a really large zone. Filled with players EVERYWHERE. ...it would probably crash the less-powerful machines, and cause lag for others. 

Transfers won't be turned off until we start hitting that critical amount of people logged in. ...but are supposed to be enough deterrent to -suggest- players play elsewhere.

edit: Naunet pointed out a pretty massive typo. I have now fixed it to what I wanted to convey.

(02-17-2015, 06:54 PM)Naunet Wrote:

Yup. That's why.

Honestly, Square-Enix is no where near the level Electronic Arts is (EA for short lol). If anything, I have a far far greater appreciation and respect for Square-Enix, than I do for companies like Activision-Blizzard or Electronic Arts.

I am convinced though that the reason the server is now locked 24/7, is because of all the RMT bots. I could stand at the entrance of the Sunken Temple of Qarn for 1 hour, and will see about 500 black mage bots appear out of thin air, talk to the npc, then poof out of existence. I don't know what SE is doing, but these bots have been super bad since 2.5 came out. Until 2.5, I didn't see bots like this. But after? They are everywhere.

However, FC mate told me how we can mess up their programming. Open a trade window with the bots then close the trade window. Apparently it breaks their programming cycle and they will sit there afk unless killed by mobs. It's why we see so many in ul'dah's aetheryte apparently. People messed with them by opening a trade.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-17-2015

Is anyone here a network engineer at Square?

No?

Anyone?

Then maybe stop talking like you built the things.