Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? (/showthread.php?tid=10645)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - allgivenover - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 07:19 PM)Blackmanga Wrote: So what, I'm supposed to start an entire new topic to reply to someone here? 

I won't be silenced by your "necro" crap.

Or you could have just let it lie because it hasn't been posted in for months and it was just one corner of the internet that's not all that important and didn't really need you to make an account solely for the purpose of reopening the discussion.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Blackmanga - 05-26-2015

Quote:Or you could have just let it lie because it hasn't been posted in for months and it was just one corner of the internet that's not all that important and didn't really need you to make an account solely for the purpose of reopening the discussion.

I did, because the prevailing opinion here was that the Tumblr feminist was wrong, when she just plain wasn't. She was absolutely right.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Fox - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 07:19 PM)Blackmanga Wrote: So what, I'm supposed to start an entire new topic to reply to someone here? 

You shouldn't be making a post in the first place on a subject that was long since closed, whether it's a new topic or old.
Also lol 'I won't be silenced', we shall see.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - allgivenover - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 07:24 PM)Blackmanga Wrote:
Quote:Or you could have just let it lie because it hasn't been posted in for months and it was just one corner of the internet that's not all that important and didn't really need you to make an account solely for the purpose of reopening the discussion.

Yes, because the prevailing opinion here was that the Tumblr feminist was wrong, as she just plain wasn't.

As a fellow feminist I feel it's not only wrong, but also diverting attention from the real problems in the same way that making an issue out of "Average Joe", "Plain Jane", "Even Steven", etc, would be in a poor effort to be "first to market" in the outrage race.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Verad - 05-26-2015

Yeees, because this way you can start a topic and introduce new discussion without having to worry about the prior context. You can even say "I was reading this thread and saw this particular reply, so I thought I'd start a new line of discussion on it here."

If this is so oppressive that you feel you are being placed under erasure, then I don't really know what to say.

Quote:You shouldn't be making a post in the first place On a subject that was long since closed, whether it's a new topic or old.
Also lol 'I won't be silenced'.

Glad you find it funny. But the discussion was "closed" with a majority against the tumblr poster based on poorly reasoned logical fallacies. Discussions should be left at a poor conclusion because of some arbitrary forum  ettiquette where you're supposed to bite your tongue because 60 days has passed since the last post? That's just dumb.

(05-26-2015, 07:34 PM)Blackmanga Wrote:
Quote:You shouldn't be making a post in the first place On a subject that was long since closed, whether it's a new topic or old.
Also lol 'I won't be silenced'.

Glad you find it funny. But the discussion was "closed" with a majority against the tumblr poster based on poorly reasoned logical fallacies. Discussions should be left at a poor conclusion because of some arbitrary forum  ettiquette where you're supposed to bite your tongue because 60 days has passed since the last post? That's just dumb.

Do you feel like you have tipped the balance?

(05-26-2015, 07:33 PM)Verad Wrote:

Yeees, because this way you can start a topic and introduce new discussion without having to worry about the prior context. You can even say "I was reading this thread and saw this particular reply, so I thought I'd start a new line of discussion on it here."

If this is so oppressive that you feel you are being placed under erasure, then I don't really know what to say.

The prior context is critical to this subject.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Fox - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 07:34 PM)Blackmanga Wrote: Glad you find it funny. But the discussion was "closed" with a majority against the tumblr poster based on poorly reasoned logical fallacies. Discussions should be left at a poor conclusion because of some arbitrary forum  ettiquette where you're supposed to bite your tongue because 60 days has passed since the last post? That's just dumb.

Whether or not you feel it is dumb, the forums have rules. Don't want to follow them? There will be consequence. The site is not public domain and is privately ran. Signing up you accepted the rules upon signing.

(05-26-2015, 07:35 PM)Blackmanga Wrote:
(05-26-2015, 07:33 PM)Verad Wrote:

The prior context is critical to this subject.

And there are ways to include that context through means such as the creation of a new thread and effective paraphrase and restatement of opinions that have come before which do not require the reader to sift through ten pages in order to get to your point. You can also choose to cite the most relevant points in the thread without having to worry about the posting history of people you don't recognize. There are advantages to this that make your point more effective!

As it is, you haven't done much but get a meta-discussion going about how and what constitutes proper netiquette when revisiting old topics, and very little discussion at all about the validity of your points. If this was your goal, then bravo, I salute.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - ansemaru - 05-26-2015

The sheer amount of "hurr hurr we're so much better than those overly sensitive tumblrinas" going on in this thread is giving me a headache.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - OttoVann - 05-26-2015

THE MALE EQUIVALENT OF MARY SUE IS OTTO VANN NOT GARY STU

THANKS

(05-26-2015, 07:37 PM)Foxberry Wrote:
(05-26-2015, 07:34 PM)Blackmanga Wrote: Glad you find it funny. But the discussion was "closed" with a majority against the tumblr poster based on poorly reasoned logical fallacies. Discussions should be left at a poor conclusion because of some arbitrary forum  ettiquette where you're supposed to bite your tongue because 60 days has passed since the last post? That's just dumb.

Whether or not you feel it is dumb, the forums have rules. Don't want to follow them? There will be consequence. The site is not public domain and is privately ran.  Signing up you accepted the rules upon signing.

Or how about you don't backseat moderate.

Most forums have a 120 day rule when it comes to "necroing" and even  then it isn't strictly enforced. If you're annoyed, because you somehow feel compelled to read this then move along.

"And there are ways to include that context through means such as the creation of a new thread and effective paraphrase and restatement of opinions that have come before which do not require the reader to sift through ten pages in order to get to your point. "

The reader can go through as many or as few as they like.

"You can also choose to cite the most relevant points in the thread without having to worry about the posting history of people you don't recognize. "

I don't even know what you're talking about. Why would I care whether I recognize posters of not?

Quote:There are advantages to this that make your point more effective!

My words make my points effective. As for the "netiquette" discussion, that was started by you all, and is a discussion you wanted to have.

(05-26-2015, 07:50 PM)Blackmanga Wrote: My words make my points effective. As for the "netiquette" discussion, that was started by you all, and is a discussion you wanted to have.

If only there were some way you could have prevented it, so that your words would be recognized for being as effective as they are.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Melkire - 05-26-2015

[Moderator Hardhat]

Locked for hopefully obvious reasons.

[/Moderator Hardhat]