Hydaelyn Role-Players
Feedback for moderation policy post - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Feedback for moderation policy post (/showthread.php?tid=11381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - ChewableMorphine - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 11:01 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 10:58 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: [Farts]

There are a lot of words here but I'm not sure what the argument you're trying to make with them is.

tl;dr
  • Rules covering obvious crap are irrelevant 
  • Throwing warnings at people for useless things that made some babby angry will likely be abused and end in unnecessary bans.
  • I just flat out don't trust a majority of the mods whatsoever, not like it matters at all. 
  • This is stupid and people should just not get all whiny over dumb things. Like what I'm contradicting myself with right now. 
  • [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXMQ6jsGa9X7SBnq3mNd1...zQLxTEFTHE]

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - PerkPrincess - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 10:58 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: Oh hey this looks like a normal thread with a wholesome topic not about triggers or any other asinine things not related to roleplay on FFXIV's Balmung serv-- 
[Image: fire_community.gif]

I threw money at a forum hoping to be able to discuss anything freely as so long as it falls under reasonable rules and guidelines and from what I read this is turning into the next Gamergate. Under what circumstances would posting in your signature another means to contact the user be wrong or even questionable. Especially when you can flat out put it in your profile. Triggers are just a means for sheltered folks to stay more sheltered and penned in their little safety box instead of accepting that there are things on the internet that they don't like. It's depressing and an unhealthy way with coping with what makes you uncomfortable. In addition, if there is a link to something like say, a five second audio clip related to the user's character (I'm obviously talking about my sig link), is that illegal? Do I need to tag it? Don't even try to disregard anything I say as argument bait either, because I'm actually pretty rustled by this and would want to toss in my five cents before I pop out to browse the less self-destructive threads on the forum. Serious shame for not going a week without some thread that will rustle some chump's tailfeathers. That's what the moderators should focus on. Get tighter on threads that erupt into things like this, because it just turns into a big shitstorm that causes users to quarrel among one another. 

But what do I know? I'm just a stupid teenager, right guys? Thumbsup

I think you've confused several arguments for another thread. The only real thing to talk about here is about what the moderation policies do, which is simply outline that, effectively, someone can't just be an ass to someone. Passively or agressively. This isn't an automatic moderation thing, as in the end it's up to the mods to make a verdict on any post that is reported.

As for your whole point on triggers. Not - really sure at all where you're coming from here. Because there's a huge difference between trying to censor conversation, and not wanting people who have yet to recover from scarred events to feel like utter garbage. Because, you know, that's also part of the whole 'don't be a dick' in the rules.

(04-30-2015, 11:18 PM)PerkPrincess Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 10:58 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: Oh hey this looks like a normal thread with a wholesome topic not about triggers or any other asinine things not related to roleplay on FFXIV's Balmung serv-- 

I threw money at a forum hoping to be able to discuss anything freely as so long as it falls under reasonable rules and guidelines and from what I read this is turning into the next Gamergate. Under what circumstances would posting in your signature another means to contact the user be wrong or even questionable. Especially when you can flat out put it in your profile. Triggers are just a means for sheltered folks to stay more sheltered and penned in their little safety box instead of accepting that there are things on the internet that they don't like. It's depressing and an unhealthy way with coping with what makes you uncomfortable. In addition, if there is a link to something like say, a five second audio clip related to the user's character (I'm obviously talking about my sig link), is that illegal? Do I need to tag it? Don't even try to disregard anything I say as argument bait either, because I'm actually pretty rustled by this and would want to toss in my five cents before I pop out to browse the less self-destructive threads on the forum. Serious shame for not going a week without some thread that will rustle some chump's tailfeathers. That's what the moderators should focus on. Get tighter on threads that erupt into things like this, because it just turns into a big shitstorm that causes users to quarrel among one another. 

I think you've confused several arguments for another thread. The only real thing to talk about here is about what the moderation policies do, which is simply outline that, effectively, someone can't just be an ass to someone. Passively or agressively. This isn't an automatic moderation thing, as in the end it's up to the mods to make a verdict on any post that is reported.

As for your whole point on triggers. Not - really sure at all where you're coming from here. Because there's a huge difference between trying to censor conversation, and not wanting people who have yet to recover from scarred events to feel like utter garbage. Because, you know, that's also part of the whole 'don't be a dick' in the rules.

Literally all I gathered from the talks were what I made my claims on. And in my tl;dr it pretty much makes my point more clear. It's more of a personal gripe than one that can be remedied in it's entirety.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aduu Avagnar - 04-30-2015

So, to sum up, you don't think triggers are a thing?

something that causes someone to regress into having an actual mental or emotional breakdown is not, as you put it 'a means for sheltered folks to stay more sheltered and penned in their little safety box'

has the phrase been used and abused by members of a certain online community as a way to feel special, or for some twisted reason, to fit in with a demographic they normally wouldn't? yes, it has. That doesn't make it any less of a real issue.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Cato - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 11:17 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote:

There are a lot of words here but I'm not sure what the argument you're trying to make with them is.

tl;dr
  • Throwing warnings at people for useless things that made some babby angry will likely be abused and end in unnecessary bans.
  • I just flat out don't trust a majority of the mods whatsoever, not like it matters at all. 
  • This is stupid and people should just not get all whiny over dumb things. Like what I'm contradicting myself with right now. 

I'm not too sure what you're trying to get at either. It feels very much like you're trying to deliberately tick people off or just generally rub them the wrong way to get your kicks. I was hoping that you'd have made some greater efforts to improve your attitude after your heartfelt apology about disturbing role-play in-game not too long ago.

In short? Calling people 'whiny' or 'stupid' does little to forge constructive debate or a pleasant atmosphere. I'm sure there's plenty of other sites you can go to if you want a space to spout memes or complain about 'triggering' in threads were it isn't even all that relevant to the discussion at the time of posting.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Kage - 04-30-2015

Why the fuck are triggers being used as if this is the cause for any of more transparent moderation policies?

Where the hell did that come up? It's not a reason for any rule changes, it's not about people being "babbies" that don't have thick skins. The people talked about this stuff because people who care about the forums did in fact voice their concerns about what they saw the forums heading into. People think they're legitimate concerns. I agree.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-30-2015

Yeah... I feel like we've gone over most of these points throughout the thread.

Freelance has said this:

"Make a provocative point if you want. Just because sure it's provocative because of the point you're making, not because it's aimed to insult people or to be intentionally and broadly rude and offensive.

And again, just because someone reports a post and says they find it offensive does not mean you will get a warning for it."

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aduu Avagnar - 04-30-2015

tl;dr
  • Rules that were there from teh get go, that you agreed to follow and abide by. That aparently need to be there to stop certain groups of people from being assholes, as aparently some people can't help themselves.
  • Report=/=warning. As has been stated many times.
  • If you don't trust the mod team, why are you here?
  • You don't get to decide if the thing someone is whining about is dumb or not, they may very well have a legitamate concern that you are unaware of.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - ArmachiA - 04-30-2015

hahah wow, talk about escalating an argument. Where did the triggers thing even come from?

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Faye - 04-30-2015

Unfortunately, "what if" thinking runs pretty rampant in RP communities.

"WHAT IF we do this RP event and people troll us!?"

"WHAT IF the summit of free companies leads to people trying to police RP!?"

"WHAT IF the mods warn and ban people for nothing!?"

I think everyone needs to take a step back at times and ensure they're not just assuming the worst, because it's rarely how things actually end up going.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aya - 04-30-2015

I feel like I'm through the Looking Glass.

(04-30-2015, 11:30 PM)Nako Wrote:
  • Rules that were there from teh get go, that you agreed to follow and abide by. That aparently need to be there to stop certain groups of people from being assholes, as aparently some people can't help themselves.
  • Report=/=warning. As has been stated many times.
  • If you don't trust the mod team, why are you here?
  • You don't get to decide if the thing someone is whining about is dumb or not, they may very well have a legitamate concern that you are unaware of.
  • Obvious, and what people refer to as being an asshole is objective, some people have paper skin.
  • Likelihood of being misused is the concern.
  • Key word: majority
  • Objective again.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Renee Becquerel - 04-30-2015

tl;dr
A few people have already gone down the list with your frankly incredible post but hey let's go on a journey of discovery together.
  • If you ever run literally anything ever at some point in your life, you will quickly discover that you absolutely, positively have to write rules covering "obvious crap" because there are people who can't tell the difference between "telling it like it is" and being a "tryhard edgelord douchebag" and those people will turn up their nose and complain about being oppressed or somehow having their First Amendment rights stripped if they're held to unwritten rules of basic etiquette.
  • See my first point because wow.
  • Then leave.  This is not a public forum.  This is a service provided to you at the leisure of the people who manage it.
  • See my first point.
  • Just quoting you for the last point:
Quote:But what do I know? I'm just a stupid teenager, right guys? Thumbsup

You're saying it, not me.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - FreelanceWizard - 04-30-2015

So, teachable moment time.

Flynt, the sort of post you made where you call people "babbies" and that this is stupid is the exact sort of thing that will score a warning. It's clear you're not happy about this thread (which, I might add, I started specifically to get feedback) or that we're tightening up moderation. It's fine if you feel that way, but you can certainly phrase it in a way that doesn't call people "babbies" and their concerns "useless." Your first post was fine. Your second was not.

In the interest of being helpful and providing examples, I'm going to handle this in the "tap on the shoulder way" -- don't do that. Next time's a formal warning.

I'm not going to go over the things I've already said several times in this thread again. You can take any abuse of the system to me via PM and we'll talk about it.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aaron - 04-30-2015

[Image: abe-simpson-gif.gif]

Felt people needed a laugh