Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:12 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If the Au Ra are credited with being the descendants of Shiva and dragons, their existing is going to make things... interesting come 3.0.

Can't wait for the first Au Ra Dragoon to exist.
*long tears* "I'M SO SORRY UNCLE CHUDO!"

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - TheLastCandle - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:12 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I mean, in the myriad pantheons of gods and goddesses I've read, I know that these beings do all sorts of things out of what would appear boredom...but even with that in mind, one has to wonder what would make Shiva look at a dragon and go "Hay bby haaaay".

Could be, though. Seems no more or less reasonable an origin story than anything else.

My guess is going to be a dragon who took mortal form. Fantasy literature is rife with stories like that. Most notably (to my mind) the story of Huma and the silver dragon Gwyneth from Dragonlance.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:05 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Their offspring/the new race, thus forward consisted of petite and pretty females with mostly hyuran features, while the males were taller, broader and more rough looking. 

But that's not how genetics works. :S Extreme dimorphism is usually a result of sexual selection.

I have trouble swallowing "an entire race came from one couple", too, but my suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Warren Castille - 12-22-2014

Magical ice woman and dragons have children. Umbrage is with them not following biology.

(12-22-2014, 01:19 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 01:05 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Their offspring/the new race, thus forward consisted of petite and pretty females with mostly hyuran features, while the males were taller, broader and more rough looking. 

But that's not how genetics works. :S Extreme dimorphism is usually a result of sexual selection.

I have trouble swallowing "an entire race came from one couple", too, but my suspension of disbelief can only go so far.
The limitation of one's suspension of disbelief hardly has anything to do with what is possible in a world where a lady can fuck a dragon. That's your limitation, not theirs!

I wonder if Shiva had trouble swallowing. OH GOD I'M SO SORRY THAT JUST WENT THROUGH MY MIND AND NOW I'M BROKEN.

Anyway, it may not be how genetics works here on good ol' RL earth, but we know nothing about how it works on stinky little Hydaelyn!

Besides, speculation requires one to hang up one's hang-ups sometimes. It's what I did when I started on that thought train. 

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kage - 12-22-2014

Or the fact that Shiva wasn't the only one getting warm with them Dravanian hordes.

I mean.

What.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Gegenji - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:31 PM)Kage Wrote: Or the fact that Shiva wasn't the only one getting warm with them Dravanian hordes.

So others found out she had done it and thought it was... pretty cool? Dodgy

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-22-2014

Meh. I'm not really willing to jump through logic hoops to try and justify yet another "strong, muscular male/dainty, fragile female" race trope in video games. It is what it is, but I'm not gonna go giving SE encouragement. xD

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kage - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:32 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 01:31 PM)Kage Wrote: Or the fact that Shiva wasn't the only one getting warm with them Dravanian hordes.

So others found out she had done it and thought it was... pretty cool? Dodgy
Well, she's the only one Eorzeans and Ishgardians know of! I'm sure there were probably others.

I mean...

Maybe the sex is kinky. >.>;

Maybe some Hyur somewhere else got their socks warm too.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Crisiet - 12-22-2014

I dunno how I feel about them. I'd have to see more about their lore and see how SE go about it in-game.

I don't like the design on the females. They really do look like midlanders with some dragon features slapped on.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Warren Castille - 12-22-2014

We don't even know if the Au Ra come from this alleged union so it's just thought exercise since SE decided to give us all pictures and no words.

I beat the "realism" drum around here a lot and will continue to do so, but once things clearly become magical it's a lot easier to let go of the argument.

...do you think she laid eggs, though?

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Edgar - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:35 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: ...do you think she laid eggs, though?

[Image: 0103bc08_mayakaisnotimpressed.jpeg]

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Oli! - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:12 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Can't wait for the first Au Ra Dragoon to exist.

I'm expecting this class combo to be a solid 90% of their entire population, honestly.

(12-22-2014, 01:35 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: We don't even know if the Au Ra come from this alleged union so it's just thought exercise since SE decided to give us all pictures and no words.

I beat the "realism" drum around here a lot and will continue to do so, but once things clearly become magical it's a lot easier to let go of the argument.

I HAD AN EXTREMELY VIVID AND MIND-BREAKING MENTAL PICTURE OF THAT -- and then I realized human women squeeze out kids. Suddenly an egg don't seem so bad...

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Steel Wolf - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:40 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 01:35 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: We don't even know if the Au Ra come from this alleged union so it's just thought exercise since SE decided to give us all pictures and no words.

I HAD AN EXTREMELY VIVID AND MIND-BREAKING MENTAL PICTURE OF THAT -- and then I realized human women squeeze out kids. Suddenly an egg don't seem so bad...

Except, y'know...maybe it was a clutch of eggs.... O_O

...oh gods, why am I doing this to my brains?