Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Duskwight Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Duskwight Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=2947)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Eva - 08-15-2013

Aye, and with the possibility of server transfers a few weeks after launch it's always a good idea to keep an open mind. While I can certainly see the draw to a brand new server, that novelty may wear off in time and switching to another server to change things up will definitely be an option, but only if that's how you feel at that time. As much as I want more Duskwight friends I'm not trying to twist anyone's arm! But it's just something to consider down the road perhaps.

To kind of bring the thread back on topic a little bit [or at least help guide it away from ye olde server debacle], I was thinking about something earlier that I'd posted in another thread awhile back pertaining to the enhanced sense of hearing and cave lifestyle.

I don't know how other Duskwights RP the hearing thing exactly, but pertaining to Eva, she has a harder time picking out one voice in crowded areas or where there's a lot of background noise. Trying to endure this long enough will eventually result in her getting a headache. Moreover anything really high-pitched, or shrill will also aggravate her, particularly if it's enduring. For awhile there were a couple of aetherite nodes that were purple (where most of the rest were blue) - such as the one to get to the Bowl of Embers from 1.0. Eva would get a headache if she remained around it for more than just a few minutes because of the noise.

I've heard others suggest that duskwights might have better night vision than the other races/clans, but I've seen nothing in the lore to really substantiate this other than the assumption that their eyesight might have adapted over a long period of time for low light conditions. Without anything directly referenced I've been hesitant to make any sort of assumption about her ability to see in the dark. She does suffer a minor case of hyperopia (farsightedness) enough such that she requires spectacles to read - which she does a lot. It's another of those things she's self-conscious about. Her father from the age of 30 or so suffered photophobia, having to wear shaded spectacles when going outdoors (and later in his life even indoors as well). I'm not sure if there's any lore basis for this or if it's even a duskwight thing or something specific to him, but it seemed worth making mention of as well. He would get terrible headaches after even only a few minutes of exposure to daylight - even on an overcast day.

That crossed my mind earlier today and I figured I'd throw it out there.

Another thing I've wondered - do you suppose we experience sunburn more easily than other clans? Given the paleness of her skin, I once stated after she moved to Ul'dah that she got a really bad sunburn, but this got me thinking about how even those duskwights with darker gray skin might face exposure to the sun.

Also any other interesting medical angles or conditions you think we might face as a result of being a duskwight?

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - LeCard - 08-15-2013

(08-15-2013, 01:08 PM)Eva Wrote: I don't know how other Duskwights RP the hearing thing exactly, but pertaining to Eva, she has a harder time picking out one voice in crowded areas or where there's a lot of background noise.  Trying to endure this long enough will eventually result in her getting a headache.  Moreover anything really high-pitched, or shrill will also aggravate her, particularly if it's enduring.  For awhile there were a couple of aetherite nodes that were purple (where most of the rest were blue) - such as the one to get to the Bowl of Embers from 1.0.  Eva would get a headache if she remained around it for more than just a few minutes because of the noise.

I've heard others suggest that duskwights might have better night vision...

Another thing I've wondered - do you suppose we experience sunburn more easily than other clans?  Given the paleness of her skin, I once stated after she moved to Ul'dah that she got a really bad sunburn, but this got me thinking about how even those duskwights with darker gray skin might face exposure to the sun.

Also any other interesting medical angles or conditions you think we might face as a result of being a duskwight?
Regarding the hearing aspect, something I have been toying with is part of Rogiers appearance, his ears. I was thinking about making him play down the better hearing aspect and having his family be slightly deficient in that area(his fathers side, passed on to him). This could be resulting in his almost Hyur looking ears.
Anyone think I could get away with this lore wise? Also the LeCard family has been in very shallow caves for a long time now, more like using them as huts than something to get further down and away from the surface.
(also would be playing down night vision, though an interesting idea indeed)

As far as sunburn works, I suppose they could be more susceptible to sunburn, but that would be a question of how melanin affects skin tone in the different races. if it works the way it does IRL then the darker skinned DW would have more resistance to the sun, but if it works the opposite then yes DW would burn much easier.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Teardrop - 08-15-2013

I remember reading your comments about the enhanced hearing in the other thread, Eva. I think you manifest that aspect of Duskwight physiology in a realistic manner. I'd like to remember to work that sort of thing into Isobeau's role play as applicable. It's in the lore, why not work it into your character's repertoire of interesting things Smile ?

LeCard makes a good point as far as the darker shades of Duskwight would have an increased resistance to the sun's effects (if it works the same way as it does here on Eorzea Smile )...that's probably why you got a sunburn, Eva Tongue I do role play the fact that when possible, Isobeau will choose to stand or rest in the shade, out of direct sunlight (and with her back against natural rock, preferably Wink )

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 08-16-2013

I recall that discussion as well, Eva. Might have even participated... I forget. Lol
But seems there was a difference of opinion there: either dw's had really bad eyesight overall (I believe blind cave critters were referenced) or quite acute. My take is... Sensitivity. Like you and Izzy have mentioned. Photophobia- whether mild or severe... Would be logical. 
I did reference in my character story, how totally unaffected Chiané's grandfather is at being blind. Because of the acute hearing already lore confirmed, and the fact that when one loses a sense, the others become more acute.
Anyway, great discussion!

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 08-20-2013

Was the duskwright linkshell ever created in phase 4?

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Teardrop - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 08:49 AM)Kyatai Wrote: Was the duskwright linkshell ever created in phase 4?

You know what is funny? I was thinking that EXACT thing not minutes ago Laugh !

Quit stealing mah brainwaves, Kyatai Tongue !

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 08-20-2013

hehehe

But... but... I -like- them!

Meanwhile... Twin! *waves* did you want us to sent in pictures for our Clan relatives for your genealogy?
ALSO!!!
Do you need any more info?

Lastly... are we planning any kind of IC DW 'group' get-together to just... yanno... get to know those that we might be IC calling on for 'assistance' at some point in time, maybe?

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Rosekitten - 08-20-2013

The sun sensitivity is a interesting idea. I was thinking about that the other day actually. If most DW's do stay underground/shaded area would they be effected by the sun differently or even have issues seeing in certain lighting without adjusting properly. 

Wish there was more lore confirming some of this though.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Twinflame - 08-21-2013

(08-20-2013, 05:47 PM)Kyatai Wrote: Meanwhile... Twin! *waves* did you want us to sent in pictures for our Clan relatives for your genealogy?

Yes! If you wanted to provide me your character's direct genealogy, I could definitely add that to the Duskwight tree I was working on. Go as crazy as you want on that. If I need any more information on a clan, I'll send a PM to that player. It's been awhile since I worked on this cause life happened, but I'll see if I can squeeze in some time before launch. I'm moving cross-country next week so yeah. x_x

I think a meeting would be a great idea. And, I had been wondering about the Dusky LS myself. There were a couple LSes I had meant to join during open beta that I couldn't find, and this was one of them.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - LeCard - 08-21-2013

for any meeting we plan I would suggest that we wait at least until the second day of EA if not until launch itself. This would give people time to finish any OOC work that didn't get done due to errors. it would also let people RP getting into town and actually meeting someone that could direct them to said meeting( I know for Rogier at least it would be very odd for him to randomly have knowledge of a DW group when he has been back in Eorzea for maybe a week).

but with that said, count me in!

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Teardrop - 08-21-2013

Don't forget me!

[Image: Thisduskwight_zps50dd247f.png]

I'd almost like getting a good screenie of all of us and turning it into the header for the Duskwight Clan wiki page Thumbsup Someone's got to have enough photoshop chops to make something nifty Wink

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Twinflame - 08-21-2013

Mm. Any meeting during early access or the first week of play I more than likely wouldn't be able to attend. As said, I'm moving, so I'm going to be preoccupied with driving several hundred miles and settling in to a new culture and climate. Any game-time I do have will be consumed trying to max out my monk so I can do endgame content with my FC.

Don't wait on my account. Just know my situation in case the situations of others align at all.

(08-21-2013, 05:28 PM)Teardrop Wrote: Someone's got to have enough photoshop chops to make something nifty Wink

I could do that.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Eva - 08-21-2013

Family Tree?

Yes, got that (but could easily get some screenshots of the various people rather than just names if it'd help):
Show Content

Also super-excited about the Duskwight-only LS, and a group screenshot would be awesome if it's something we could schedule!  (although I get the feeling Eva might best be situated along the outer edge lol)  I'm sure I could also 'shop something together for the Wiki if Twinflame's got his hands full for awhile.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Myavar - 08-21-2013

Oooh I'd love to do a DW screenie! As long as someone is in Grid for her to hear a rumor about a gathering it should be easy to come up with a reason to go to a gathering. After all, word about something like that is sure to cause a bit of gossip.

I never found the DW LS during phase 4 either, and I haven't seen any posts about it in here for a while, so.... I unno what's going on with that. Maybe someone else will have to start it after EA begins?

Oh, and if anyone wants to find Mya for RP after EA starts make sure to send me a /tell in game (Myavar Hla'rahel), 'cause I probably wont physically be in Grid. I intend to level mah face off <nodnod>. Myavar's current story has her as a fledgling student at the Conjurer's Guild, so going places outside of the city in RP wont be possible for a bit.

THREE MORE DAYS!! Bouncy

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 08-23-2013

Not to put Yssen out there..... But he's created a LS (the Wanderer's Shadows) that seems to be right in line with what we might need here....
Wink