Hydaelyn Role-Players
Feedback for moderation policy post - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Feedback for moderation policy post (/showthread.php?tid=11381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Nero - 05-01-2015

I'd like to go on record as saying that acknowledging inflammatory posts or strawman arguments--such as in my own post above--does more harm than good. Shining light on a bad flower does nothing but help it grow, in a manner of speaking.

I'm not exactly good at leading by example. This I recognise.

In the future when such posts are made, I strongly encourage everyone to do their best to simply ignore it, regardless of its content. Escalating a situation like I just did helps no one, and if your intention is to "get back" at a person or "put them in their place", then apathy, especially on a wide scale, is a far more effective expression of disdain than the most hateful vitriol.

When bombs are being dropped left and right, do as the British did: keep calm and carry on.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Renata Lynn - 05-01-2015

1. I have triggers. But I also realize that while I can ask people to respect that, not everyone will, and I deal accordingly. Trauma that happened to me should not affect the lives of others. Certain triggers, I draw the line at, but others I know are not intended to further traumatized me. Thankfully I am at a point where I can choose to refuse givingthe pperpetrators further power over my life. Not everyone is.
2. What in the everlasting frig did I walk into when I joined this community? The majority of you are great people...but dang, this crepe is crazy. I did not realize the RPC had turned into an online Baltimore.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:14 AM)Nero Wrote: When bombs are being dropped left and right, do as the British did: keep calm and carry on.

Or do what they actually did and build bigger bombers and bigger bombs and BURN THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS DOWN.

Actually wait don't, that's probably a warnable offence.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aya - 05-01-2015

Can't we just.. have fun?  O.O

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Edvyn - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:16 AM)Aya Wrote: Can't we just.. have fun?  O.O
this is kinda fun to read if im going to be honest

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aduu Avagnar - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:15 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 12:14 AM)Nero Wrote: When bombs are being dropped left and right, do as the British did: keep calm and carry on.

Or do what they actually did and build bigger bombers and bigger bombs and BURN THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS DOWN.

Actually wait don't, that's probably a warnable offence.
You forgot to invent concentration camps to store your prisoners of War in.

but he does have a point, inflamatory posts tend to exist to draw people into an argument.

however, we have had 3 learnable moments from this.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Erik Mynhier - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:09 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: So, teachable moment #3.

That video up there? And that meme image post? Those are both warnable posts. "Spurious off-topic posts, including meme images and patent nonsense." It's right there in section 1. Derailing threads with that stuff is a very, very quick way to run up your warning level. Does that mean you can never post such things? No. If you include some content and context as well and the image or video is germane to your post, then it's fine. If the thread is about meme images or videos, have fun. The policies are about context and purpose.

Consider this your "tap on the shoulder" notice. Next time's a formal warning.

The meme above... the Simpsons one? Im just asking because im on a phone and may be missing images. Confusion due in part to boost mobile.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:18 AM)Edvyn Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 12:16 AM)Aya Wrote: Can't we just.. have fun?  O.O
this is kinda fun to read if im going to be honest

It is certainly more fun than whatever variety of:

"What does your character spread on their toast?!" thread that is going on currently.

However fun for me and good for the community are not always synonymous.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - PerkPrincess - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:19 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 12:09 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: So, teachable moment #3.

That video up there? And that meme image post? Those are both warnable posts. "Spurious off-topic posts, including meme images and patent nonsense." It's right there in section 1. Derailing threads with that stuff is a very, very quick way to run up your warning level. Does that mean you can never post such things? No. If you include some content and context as well and the image or video is germane to your post, then it's fine. If the thread is about meme images or videos, have fun. The policies are about context and purpose.

Consider this your "tap on the shoulder" notice. Next time's a formal warning.

The meme above... the Simpsons one? Im just asking because im on a phone and may be missing images. Confusion due in part to boost mobile.

I believe it's the uh, EVA theme. Though the simpsons gif also counts, I imagine.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Bopdoot - 05-01-2015

I'm genuinely sad that gifs and may-mays aren't allowed D:... They can be so much fun if used comedically and in a topical way XD

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Aduu Avagnar - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 12:46 AM)Bopdoot Wrote: I'm genuinely sad that gifs and may-mays aren't allowed D:... They can be so much fun if used comedically and in a topical way XD
as long as its pertinent to the topic they are fine, just add some content with it, not just drop the GIF/Meme and go.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - ArmachiA - 05-01-2015

I think if meme's are part of the discussion then they're fine. Like is someone was going "Do I level this class or this class?" and someone posts a "Why not both?" Meme then explains why. I could be wrong.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - TheLastCandle - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 01:15 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: I think if meme's are part of the discussion then they're fine. Like is someone was going "Do I level this class or this class?" and someone posts a "Why not both?" Meme then explains why. I could be wrong.

This is how I feel about it.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - LiadansWhisper - 05-01-2015

(05-01-2015, 01:17 AM)TheLastCandle Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 01:15 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: I think if meme's are part of the discussion then they're fine. Like is someone was going "Do I level this class or this class?" and someone posts a "Why not both?" Meme then explains why. I could be wrong.

This is how I feel about it.

Yep.

The rest of this thread is too off the deep end for me to really comment on.  >.>

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Xenedra - 05-01-2015

Confirmed; memes and videos and all that fun stuff are fine as long as they're relevant and not posted to derail or instigate trouble.