Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? (/showthread.php?tid=9094)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-05-2014

[Image: tumblr_inline_ng3o22BMam1r6gcke.png]

Did...did you guys even sleep...?

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Kellach Woods - 12-05-2014

I did. I just have to wake up early to get told everyone's there so I can leave work at noon.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Oli! - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 08:17 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I did. I just have to wake up early to get told

WELCOME TO TOLD CITY

POPULATION: YOU

Also sleeping is for amateurs and losers.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - OttoVann - 12-05-2014

My personal theory as to why people aren't favorites of Dragoons in RP is because they are bona-fide and verified badasses, especially compared to the other jobs.

How many jobs in game, especially the melee dps ones are just as hardcore as dragoons? Dragoons by nature are elite. They're not just strong berserkers, they're not just naruto ninjutsu masters, and they do more than channel aether like Brock Lee does and punch shit hard. They're the definition of martialed, what I can equate to Delta Force. They literally kill dragons and they live for it, how many monks punch dragons to death and how many ninjas cut a dragon 1000 times to kill it? How many warriors swing an axe hard enough to kill a dragon (in fact we see in the Heavensward trailer the derp-master giving up his warrior ways to be a Dragoon).

There could be an argument for BlackMages being just as 'powerful' as dragoons because they also straight bring the boom.

In short Dragoons by their nature are hardcore. Not all jobs have this background, and thus people want to discount them outright (at least subconsciously) because the job feels way stronger than they are (and its very possibly true depending on your take on lore).

Believe it.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 02:11 PM)OttoVann Wrote: My personal theory as to why people aren't favorites of Dragoons in RP is because they are bona-fide and verified badasses, especially compared to the other jobs.

How many jobs in game, especially the melee dps ones are just as hardcore as dragoons?  Dragoons by nature are elite.  They're not just strong berserkers, they're not just naruto ninjutsu masters, and they do more than channel aether like Brock Lee does and punch shit hard.  They're the definition of martialed, what I can equate to Delta Force.  They literally kill dragons and they live for it, how many monks punch dragons to death and how many ninjas cut a dragon 1000 times to kill it?  How many warriors swing an axe hard enough to kill a dragon (in fact we see in the Heavensward trailer the derp-master giving up his warrior ways to be a Dragoon).

There could be an argument for BlackMages being just as 'powerful' as dragoons because they also straight bring the boom.

In short Dragoons by  their nature are hardcore.  Not all jobs have this background, and thus people want to discount them outright (at least subconsciously)  because the job feels way stronger than they are (and its very possibly true depending on your take on lore).

Believe it.
Pssst, there's a quest in Coerthas where you have to go rescue a bunch of whiny Dragoons in Whitebrim. They're just as diverse as any other job/class/group. There's the elite, and there's the babbus. The hardcore isn't so much in their 'nature' as it is in the way we the fans raise them up.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Melkire - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 08:15 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Did...did you guys even sleep...?

Nope, too busy tanking the floor.

#drglyfe

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Kage - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 02:38 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 08:15 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Did...did you guys even sleep...?

Nope, too busy tanking the floor.

#drglyfe
Too busy mudra'ing the floor amirite?

((gawd im so sorry I meant to hit send tell but it hit send trade and I was like FAWK))

(12-05-2014, 02:29 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 02:11 PM)OttoVann Wrote: My personal theory as to why people aren't favorites of Dragoons in RP is because they are bona-fide and verified badasses, especially compared to the other jobs.

How many jobs in game, especially the melee dps ones are just as hardcore as dragoons?  Dragoons by nature are elite.  They're not just strong berserkers, they're not just naruto ninjutsu masters, and they do more than channel aether like Brock Lee does and punch shit hard.  They're the definition of martialed, what I can equate to Delta Force.  They literally kill dragons and they live for it, how many monks punch dragons to death and how many ninjas cut a dragon 1000 times to kill it?  How many warriors swing an axe hard enough to kill a dragon (in fact we see in the Heavensward trailer the derp-master giving up his warrior ways to be a Dragoon).

In short Dragoons by  their nature are hardcore.  Not all jobs have this background, and thus people want to discount them outright (at least subconsciously)  because the job feels way stronger than they are (and its very possibly true depending on your take on lore).

Believe it.
Pssst, there's a quest in Coerthas where you have to go rescue a bunch of whiny Dragoons in Whitebrim. They're just as diverse as any other job/class/group. There's the elite, and there's the babbus. The hardcore isn't so much in their 'nature' as it is in the way we the fans raise them up.

While this is true, there is also the fact that the job description is indeed everything I said. How individuals drum it up is one thing, how the job is broadcast is another.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Warren Castille - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 03:17 PM)OttoVann Wrote: While this is true, there is also the fact that the job description is indeed everything I said. How individuals drum it up is one thing, how the job is broadcast is another.

While this is true, the stereotype is that every single dragoon player is playing the untouchable badass version of the class. Compare it to the fledgling monks working on their chakras, the barmaids and vendors, the veritable ARMY of in-training paladins, or any other combination of people roleplaying the not-elite-elite.

It's not true, that's why it's a stereotype, but part of why DRG is considered such an "ace" class is because they tend to get the playerbase of people who only ever play the best of the best at something. It takes all sorts to make the world work, but the DRG stereotype is the loudest one.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Melkire - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 02:42 PM)Kage Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 02:38 PM)Melkire Wrote: Nope, too busy tanking the floor.

#drglyfe
Too busy mudra'ing the floor amirite?

((gawd im so sorry I meant to hit send tell but it hit send trade and I was like FAWK))

It was Gorgimera and no one was silencing. I had completely forgotten that NIN has a silence on Jugulate while in Wasp. I love Viper's stun too much.

((that makes for such an exploitable trolling method. Follow someone around and open trade every time they try to teleport))

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Gegenji - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 03:36 PM)Melkire Wrote: ((that makes for such an exploitable trolling method. Follow someone around and open trade every time they try to teleport))

(Somebody totally did that to me last night and I was all "wait, WHAT?" I /shocked, they /chuckle'd, and then I teleported away.)

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Val - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 03:29 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: While this is true, the stereotype is that every single dragoon player is playing the untouchable badass version of the class. Compare it to the fledgling monks working on their chakras, the barmaids and vendors, the veritable ARMY of in-training paladins, or any other combination of people roleplaying the not-elite-elite.

It's not true, that's why it's a stereotype, but part of why DRG is considered such an "ace" class is because they tend to get the playerbase of people who only ever play the best of the best at something. It takes all sorts to make the world work, but the DRG stereotype is the loudest one.

Pretty much this. I expect the same to come of Ninja shortly, if it hasn't already. I've already seen a bunch of Narujas flipping around and spamming lightning mudra like it doesn't take any effort and seeing through smoke using sound :v

Meanwhile, Val hasn't mastered a single mudra. He can barely use water, and even then it takes a looooong time to concentrate. I suppose some people just don't like the build-up, but I prefer it. It gives your character... well. Character.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - TheFanciestBard - 12-05-2014

Excuse me if its been covered already but i think everyone misses the biggest point against Dragoons. They can jump, they can fight, they're good at their job. Why is irrelevant, i have one qualm with them.

"Why are you in Ul'dah" 

Dragoons are not super rare, but they're trained exclusively by Ishgard and they covet this training. They're also shown to be quite xenophobic and closed off in lore. Dragoon rpers either have to have forsaken Ishgard(unlikely if you've dedicated your life to becoming one of its greatest protectors) and hide that side of themselves or break lore. That's why i don't like Dragoon rpers, has nothing to do with their fancy combat or really silly armor.

(12-05-2014, 04:11 PM)Val Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 03:29 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: While this is true, the stereotype is that every single dragoon player is playing the untouchable badass version of the class. Compare it to the fledgling monks working on their chakras, the barmaids and vendors, the veritable ARMY of in-training paladins, or any other combination of people roleplaying the not-elite-elite.

Pretty much this. I expect the same to come of Ninja shortly, if it hasn't already. I've already seen a bunch of Narujas flipping around and spamming lightning mudra like it doesn't take any effort and seeing through smoke using sound :v

Meanwhile, Val hasn't mastered a single mudra. He can barely use water, and even then it takes a looooong time to concentrate. I suppose some people just don't like the build-up, but I prefer it. It gives your character... well. Character.

But what if they were always a ninja from Doma and not someone trying it out just now like Val? Doesn't it make sense then?

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Val - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 04:29 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 04:11 PM)Val Wrote:

But what if they were always a ninja from Doma and not someone trying it out just now like Val?  Doesn't it make sense then?

It does, but the class has limitations. Unless they're a miqo'te or another race with acute hearing, I'll never believe someone can "hear through fog"--and even then I'm going to be very skeptical. With mudra, the lore specifically states that it takes a LOT of energy to use even one, and that quick-firing them is out of the question.