Hydaelyn Role-Players
How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? (/showthread.php?tid=12251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Sahja Elahka - 06-28-2015

I really want to hit somewhat related, but really its only so people have a general idea of how things work in this world (Don't want people saying that they're using flare every 3 seconds)  But, otherwise its not necessary.  I'll admit I have a harder time taking people with the beginner outfits seriously when claim to be powerful warriors/mages.  But as long as the RP is good, its all fine.

But that's player experience, don't expect someone to play something powerful when they don't understand the rules here.  But that's true for every roleplaying game, and video games have the nice advantage of a level that shows just how experienced you are at a glance.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Misuzu - 06-28-2015

I remember RPing with a few people for an Immortal Flames mission. The guy who was "in charge" was a level 40 paladin with no other alts or classes leveled. As he kept barking out orders, I remember thinking to myself "Yeah right, I was at Cartenau. Where were you?"

As the mission progressed, he began talking about how he was immediately chosen for leadership training when he joined up. I suppose it's possible...but yikes is that a stretch. All I kept thinking was "You just started 20 levels ago...how hard have you actually worked? Ever hear of Caravan...?" By the end of the mission I was in complete disbelief for what was even going on, no matter how hard the guy had prepared.

So to answer the thread, yes I think it's important. Don't tell me you killed Bahamut unless you killed Bahamut. And don't tell me you're powerful until you've at least spent some time to make it believable to live such a claim.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Sahja Elahka - 06-28-2015

oh another thing someone pointed out to me, level does not represent experience so much as strength.  Think about all of the elderly NPCs you've ran into that were actually pretty low level, The master's who you beat when you around level 30.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - V'aleera - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 10:45 PM)Misuzu Wrote: I remember RPing with a few people for an Immortal Flames mission. The guy who was "in charge" was a level 40 paladin with no other alts or classes leveled. As he kept barking out orders, I remember thinking to myself "Yeah right, I was at Cartenau. Where were you?" 
What was the real issue though? That his manner of RPing was not to your liking or that he was not a high enough level to RP?

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Seriphyn - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 10:45 PM)Misuzu Wrote: I remember RPing with a few people for an Immortal Flames mission. The guy who was "in charge" was a level 40 paladin with no other alts or classes leveled. As he kept barking out orders, I remember thinking to myself "Yeah right, I was at Cartenau. Where were you?"

As the mission progressed, he began talking about how he was immediately chosen for leadership training when he joined up. I suppose it's possible...but yikes is that a stretch. All I kept thinking was "You just started 20 levels ago...how hard have you actually worked? Ever hear of Caravan...?" By the end of the mission I was in complete disbelief for what was even going on, no matter how hard the guy had prepared.

So to answer the thread, yes I think it's important. Don't tell me you killed Bahamut unless you killed Bahamut. And don't tell me you're powerful until you've at least spent some time to make it believable to live such a claim.

HI THERE, I THINK YOU MIGHT REMEMBER ME.

I HAVE THIS THING CALLED BACKSTORY.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Cailean Lockwood - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 11:27 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:

HI THERE, I THINK YOU MIGHT REMEMBER ME.

I HAVE THIS THING CALLED BACKSTORY.

Hahaha! XD
Shots fired!

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Faye - 06-28-2015

So if you absolutely can't do something IC unless you've done it OOC how exactly does the inverse work? Do we all have a right to claim we personally killed Gaius just because we all did it in game? I don't think people should be restricted and penalized for something as understandable as not playing the flop that was 1.0.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Cato - 06-29-2015

I've said this before but...the thing I value most in my role-play is plausibility. I think that's the most important thing to take into account when creating a character or event. Does it make sense? Are liberties being taken and if so, how can they be made less jarring?

We all end up taking liberties within role-play to some extent to justify the existence of our characters within the game world. What matters most is whether or not they feel like they belong in the setting without overshadowing everybody else or feeling too much like a blatant self insert.

That doesn't mean a character can't be powerful but...let's be honest: anyone making their character into the Warrior of Light responsible for downing major antagonists is simply being selfish. They might not even realise it, of course, but if people want a single player experience within their role-play then they'd be better off writing fan-fiction as far as I'm concerned.

It's meant to be a group activity in the context of MMO role-play.

I can totally sympathise with the desire to play a powerful character, anyway - especially when a lot of role-play is unintentionally or intentionally like an arm's race in regards to which character is the most skilled/competent/popular/influential/etc. It just needs to be plausible!

Smile

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - industrythirteen - 06-29-2015

This hasn't been as big a deal to me in FFXIV, given the way it is set up. In every MMO I've ever played that had a dueling function, or some PVP that was open world, it made sense to me that if I wanted to be taken seriously, if I wanted to run my mouth even a little bit in character, I should probably be able to back it up with my ability to defend myself with my button pushing, if it ever came down to that. 

However, in FFXIV, I can't just duel someone that's being rude in-character. There isn't a function for it. There's a lot of posturing, which annoys me, and then I wish people would just get on with it and stop stalling or wasting people's time. Call that a pet peeve of mine. While I can talk to someone OOC, and prefer to, to get the ball rolling, I'm not always going to be able to convince someone there is more to RPing than throwing their weight around. So, while I believe in backing my own shit up, I also want to tell a story that entertains the other people around me. 

If I run my mouth in a tabletop game, or pull some shit with my character, dice and stats are what is going to matter if they want to take a swing at my character, or vice versa. I don't see why this should be any different in an mmo system: We work with what we are given—buttons to push, gear, stats, etc. Just because I say something, doesn't mean others need to believe it, or take me seriously if I'm a level 10, and they are a level 50 (or 60.) I make allowances for certain things, certainly, as some folks aren't playing super experience combat-based characters, or someone is an NPC for an on-going story. That's completely logical to me. I also understand that not everyone is as good at playing a game as others, or even good at pvp where open-world pvp or dueling is available. My response to that is to say make friends that can and will have your back. Have them champion for you, or be your minions. Who doesn't love minions?! It is storytelling after all in the overall scheme of things. Some characters let others do the fighting for them.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - V'aleera - 06-29-2015

I think the real lesson of this thread is that everyone needs use Verad's Fate-14 system and put rolz.org on their bookmarks toolbar.

This message paid for by Dubious Distributions Ltd.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-29-2015

[[takes our magitek mod device]]

Just a small reminder to stay calm everyone.

There have been a few posts that linger close to violating the rules. (Baiting/fanning flames/etc).

Please be considerate of other peoples' playstyles and RP styles. There is no "right" way to RP. Only preferences and opinions. Smile

[[puts away magitek mod device]]

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Misuzu - 06-29-2015

(06-28-2015, 11:51 PM)Faye Wrote:

So if you absolutely can't do something IC unless you've done it OOC how exactly does the inverse work? Do we all have a right to claim we personally killed Gaius just because we all did it in game? I don't think people should be restricted and penalized for something as understandable as not playing the flop that was 1.0.

Well, again that all comes down to who you will take you seriously, which is what the thread is about. If someone said IC that they personally killed Gaius, I'm sure everyone here would have their own thoughts, and IC reactions. I've always thought that such statements that boast your character as the one who shapes the world for us all to be ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with catching up your story if you didn't play 1.0. Ultimately it's up to the people you're RPing with to believe it or not. So if someone plans on being the best, or writing that their character ended an era, they better have done their homework. As I'm sure more traversed players will be willing and able to poke holes in their limited knowledge.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Magellan - 06-29-2015

So... for people who equate ooc level to ic experience...  do you just not have a backstory? To have a backstory seems completely arbitrary if it has nothing to do with who your character is in the here and now.

Does your character just get plopped down in the middle of Eorzea fully grown?

My current character, a Doman monk, didn't train in Eorzea. Nor will she. Her particular set of skills is completely different from Ul'dah pgl guild training, so how is level even remotely relevant?

A characters life experience dictates their weaknesses and strengths. Not some ooc mechanic that again, can only be acknowledged via meta - gaming.

small mod edit: made the text small default size

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Flickering Ember - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 01:36 AM)Magellan Wrote: So... for people who equate ooc level to ic experience...  do you just not have a backstory? To have a backstory seems completely arbitrary if it has nothing to do with who your character is in the here and now.

My current character, a Doman monk, didn't train in Eorzea. Nor will she. Her particular set of skills is completely different from Ul'dah pgl guild training, so how is level even remotely relevant? 

A characters life experience dictates their weaknesses and strengths. Not some ooc mechanic that again, can only be acknowledged via meta - gaming.

It's simply a matter of preference. Those who take level into account have varying reasons throughout the thread. Some folks use it as a meter to gauge how committed someone is to their character (the idea is the more work someone puts into a character, the longer they will stick around); when everyone's character is role-played as powerful, level is the only fair way to settle disputes or claims; or since the RP is taking place in a game built around leveling and obtaining power, what your character has accomplished in game is a comparable amount of power that your character should have.

These I believe are the main reasons. Very few people take absolutely everything in game mechanics into RP. I suspect that those who like to keep game mechanics with RP as much as possible do so the best they can. They probably won't RP out the exact warrior of light storyline. They have their own back stories the same as anyone else. Thematically, it may be that their character starts at an average level in combat but grows stronger over the course of the game. There are also some who don't start role-playing until they have hit max level on their characters.

This style of RP will not always be for everyone. And I don't feel that we can have our RP styles 100% match up with others. It's typically not brought up in game anyway.

RE: How important is OOC achievement when playing a powerful character ICly? - Caspar - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 01:36 AM)Magellan Wrote: So... for people who equate ooc level to ic experience...  do you just not have a backstory? To have a backstory seems completely arbitrary if it has nothing to do with who your character is in the here and now.[/size]

Whoah there gumshoe, indoor voices. XD

That being said, I'm in a similar situation. Since my character came in as a skilled character, I had to explain away the level in case I encountered players who took my level as an indicator of power. It's a good thing I suppose I didn't run into them, as I bet they'd never have bought the "injury" plot thread I used it for. Like your character, her style is not that of Ul'Dahn pugilists or the Fists, so the game cannot properly reflect what she is ICly. In such cases, I try to describe long and hard what's going on so people can immediately look at my emote description and know at a glance it is not the same as the in-game Monk style. Generally that seems to more or less be enough for most players.

small mod edit: made the text small default size