Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Restriction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung Restriction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=9805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kellach Woods - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 01:11 AM)Khoure Wrote: It'd be nice if SE maybe offered free server switches out of Balmung for anyone. Maybe they could actually break down and add an "RP SERVER"/"RP FRIENDLY SERVER" label or something. Because while we need a fair amount of people not RPing in order to drive the economy, it would be nice to have some potential free space for more RPers stuck trying to get in
I don't think there was RP servers on XI due to how the game originally handled those.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - SessionZero - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:28 AM)Naunet Wrote: It's the weird-ass FFXI-indoctrinated people, I'm sure. The people who cannot fathom ever using more than one character because you can do everything on one character. That combined with their blind faith in their Chosen God SquareEnix creates some pretty ridiculous opinions.

You never saw alt-hate and strange beliefs about character data in WoW because Blizzard actually has good servers and population policies, and alts are not just expected but even encouraged by the community.

The FFXIV community is really, really weird.

The reason you never saw alt-hate with WoW is because alts were necessary. In FFXI/XIV you can play every role with one character if you want to, whereas in WoW if you have a Paladin but you feel like playing a Hunter that day, better roll an alt son, cuz there's only one class per character in this game!

Yeah, SE gives you the option to have alts in this game but from (IMO) the intended perspective of someone playing, it's pointless because hey, you can be literally every class/job in the game on one character. Why would you need more? SE doesn't seem to consider RPers when making decisions like this because we're probably not much more than a speck on their radar. That's just speculation of course, but that's the vibe I get from them.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - allgivenover - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:28 AM)Naunet Wrote: It's the weird-ass FFXI-indoctrinated people, I'm sure. The people who cannot fathom ever using more than one character because you can do everything on one character. That combined with their blind faith in their Chosen God SquareEnix creates some pretty ridiculous opinions.

You never saw alt-hate and strange beliefs about character data in WoW because Blizzard actually has good servers and population policies, and alts are not just expected but even encouraged by the community.

The FFXIV community is really, really weird.

Best straw-man attack I've seen you make so far Naunet. 10/10

By the way I had five characters in XI.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Naunet - 02-22-2015

For me, alts aren't even a roleplay decision. I just get bored looking at the same character and in my mind, only certain classes are "appropriate" for certain characters. Thus, alts are necessary.

Glad you think it's a strawman, allgivenover, but what I wrote is precisely the attitude that has been expressed over and over again on the official forums. You had alts in XI? Awesome. You are not the type of person I'm talking about and are very much in the minority of XI players.

(02-22-2015, 12:29 PM)Naunet Wrote: For me, alts aren't even a roleplay decision. I just get bored looking at the same character and in my mind, only certain classes are "appropriate" for certain characters. Thus, alts are necessary.

Glad you think it's a strawman, allgivenover, but what I wrote is precisely the attitude that has been expressed over and over again on the official forums. You had alts in XI? Awesome. You are not the type of person I'm talking about and are very much in the minority of XI players.

Then you should have specified exactly what you meant instead of setting up a straw-man attack on "XI indoctrinated" players. Most of us had more than one character for many purposes, and I can't think of a single instance where anyone was actively criticized for having more than one, here in XIV or there in XI.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Naunet - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 12:40 PM)allgivenover Wrote: and I can't think of a single instance where anyone was actively criticized for having more than one, here in XIV or there in XI.

You don't pay very much attention to the official forums, then.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Verranicus - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 12:49 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 12:40 PM)allgivenover Wrote: and I can't think of a single instance where anyone was actively criticized for having more than one, here in XIV or there in XI.

That's kind of wrong. I'm on the official boards every day and have yet to see anyone being outright hostile regarding alts. You only see people even getting close when someone starts the monthly "open Balmung plz" thread over there and people are just sick of seeing it.

(02-22-2015, 01:55 PM)Verranicus Wrote:

That's kind of wrong. I'm on the official boards every day and have yet to see anyone being outright hostile regarding alts. You only see people even getting close when someone starts the monthly "open Balmung plz" thread over there and people are just sick of seeing it.

Shit, I'm sick of seeing it and I don't even visit the official boards.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Verranicus - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 01:57 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 01:55 PM)Verranicus Wrote:

Shit, I'm sick of seeing it and I don't even visit the official boards.
I mean, I can understand being frustrated by the server lockout. My friend was a bit annoyed at having to stay up til 7AM to get on, and I have another friend getting the game who's probably gonna have to wait til just before/after maintenance in a couple days to get on.

However!

People treat this like it's S-E twirling their mustaches as they watch the poor, disenfranchised roleplayers wail for deliverance. Or that S-E is just withholding server space to be evil. It's not, it's just a matter of their (albeit somewhat lacking) server infrastructure. There has to be limits on it or those of us on the server would be dealing with lag/crashes and there would be even more whining.

You can't even compare it to WoW as Naunet seems to love doing, because not only is this game more advanced (and thus takes up way more storage space right from the get-go than cartoony and rapidly more dated looking WoW), but each class/job on our single character takes up the equivalent of a whole character on WoW or any other standard MMO. So while I may only have Yehn'za here, the fact that I've levelled every class to 50 means I'm actually using the space of 12+ characters right there.

Anyway, like I said. If you want the alt that badly, there are ways to do it. It doesn't matter if you have to pay 10 bucks, or get up an hour earlier in the morning, there exist ways to do what you want to do. If you refuse to use the avenues available to you, you clearly didn't want/need that alt as badly as you thought.

The amount of salt over it is rather tiresome.

(02-22-2015, 02:03 PM)Verranicus Wrote: You can't even compare it to WoW as Naunet seems to love doing, because not only is this game more advanced (and thus takes up way more storage space right from the get-go than cartoony and rapidly more dated looking WoW), but each class/job on our single character takes up the equivalent of a whole character on WoW or any other standard MMO. So while I may only have Yehn'za here, the fact that I've levelled every class to 50 means I'm actually using the space of 12+ characters right there.

Anyway, like I said. If you want the alt that badly, there are ways to do it. It doesn't matter if you have to pay 10 bucks, or get up an hour earlier in the morning, there exist ways to do what you want to do. If you refuse to use the avenues available to you, you clearly didn't want/need that alt as badly as you thought.

Your sound reasoning is wasted here, Naunet will parse whatever she needs to parse to keep her rage machine going. SE is somehow simultaneously an evil mastermind bent on screwing its players over and an incredibly incompetent derp-machine that's incapable of doing anything right. There's no reasoning with that sort of tautology, and I honestly think keeping herself enraged is a primary motivation in her life.

T-minus [insert seconds here] until Naunet sees this post, reports it, and sicks her group to do the same while harassing the poor mods about doing their "job" and getting it removed as soon as possible.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Xenedra - 02-22-2015

Time to cool the back and forth a little. We like discussion, we don't like pointing fingers and insults.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Khoure - 02-22-2015

er, I'm sorry if I contributed to this argument with my post ;-; I know in WoW you basically needed alts, but I meant that also no one would look twice at an excessive amount of alts. And I understand seeing the 'open balmung' threads as annoying, since there are (albeit inconvenient) ways around it. In addition, I can acknowledge that some of the posts by hopeful RPers can sound a little dramatic, heck I felt a little dramatic when I was first trying to get into Balmung.

The posts I was specifically referring to are more mean spirited than I think plain annoyance should excuse though, and often have the idea behind them that an alt's character data, even when not being played has the same server drain as a person actually logged on a character. Near the end of the thread, it gets quite hostile when if they were only annoyed at seeing the thread, you would think they would just ignore and let it die.

So yeah, I agree with Xenedra. I really didn't mean to add ammunition, making you guys upset with each other.

(02-22-2015, 02:35 PM)Khoure Wrote: er, I'm sorry if I contributed to this argument with my post ;-; I know in WoW you basically needed alts, but I meant that also no one would look twice at an excessive amount of alts. And I understand seeing the 'open balmung' threads as annoying, since there are (albeit inconvenient) ways around it. In addition, I can acknowledge that some of the posts by hopeful RPers can sound a little dramatic, heck I felt a little dramatic when I was first trying to get into Balmung.

The posts I was specifically referring to are more mean spirited than I think plain annoyance should excuse though, and often have the idea behind them that an alt's character data, even when not being played has the same server drain as a person actually logged on a character. Near the end of the thread, it gets quite hostile when if they were only annoyed at seeing the thread, you would think they would just ignore and let it die.

So yeah, I agree with Xenedra. I really didn't mean to add ammunition, making you guys upset with each other.

It's not so much that they're annoying because there are ways to circumvent the lock, it's annoying because there are just so many of them. It's hard to take two steps on the forums or in-game without someone mentioning it. After awhile, all that can be said about it has been said, and at this point we're beating a dead horse that has already decayed and become just a skeleton.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - V'aleera - 02-22-2015

If you don't like "Open Balmung" posts, kindly ask the person holding a gun to your head to reconsider his demand that you read them.