Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:02 PM)Aya Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 05:52 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I did not invalidate anyone's opinions, silence anyone, tell anyone to go make their own game. I stated something that is true. An irritating and uncomfortable truth for some, which is why I can understand the heated -- and awfully presumptuous -- responses.
Alright, Berrod, that's fine.  However, I've seen multiple cases lately (including in this thread, and in your responses in C'kayah's thread last week) that boil down to, "You cannot have that opinion."  I have been terribly disappointed to see that, and it really does not seem like an isolated phenomenon, but instead what is becoming an expected reply to an opinion that is disliked.  "I disagree with X, but I don't want to explain why I disagree with X, instead I will explain why X is not an opinion that someone should have."  That is not discussion, it is not constructive, and it is not an approach that should be taken within a respectful and friendly community (it is also offensive to the idea of free and open discussion).

My point of view is that people ought to be able to freely express their opinion, and discuss why they hold it without the threat of being held underwater for doing so.  There are a lot of people disappointed about the Au Ra ranging from eye-rolling to distraught (okay maybe not that much!), and there are people who are really excited for them.  I found it interesting to see the two opinions expressed, and why, and it has even lead to some interesting discussion pondering the origin of the race, and how they will be represented in the game.  This is all well, and good, in fact it is the very wonderful purpose toward which a discussion forum is designed.

On the idea that you've expressed here, that's all well-and-good, I suppose, but it doesn't seem to really mean anything.  I may as well tell you that if you want a non-bulky male option to play that you should make your own MMO.  Is that any more responsive to what you've said on the previous page, than what you said in your reply?  Has it added anything to the discussion?
Okay so  I went back to check out the thread you mentioned to see if I had indeed done what I've been accused of. It turns out not -- hell I even said 'But we can say what we think about it!' at the end of the second post.

My sidelong opinion is also a part of the discussion, regardless of if it is a popular opinion or not -- turns out it's not! At least, assuming it's read correctly. And I find it particularly intriguing that I'm being called out on for invalidating someone's opinion (which I have not -- it's good to recognize an opposing stance for what it is)...and then told in the same post that the idea that I have expressed here doesn't mean anything. 

If I'm not mistaken, that is a splendid example of trying to invalidate someone's opinion. HOWEVER! I don't have anything else to say on that matter really, the discussion seems to be back on track in the thread and that's a wonderful thing. I do hope that my opinions expressed going forward, even if popular, are deemed as valid. 

Thank you for your concern.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kage - 12-22-2014

I'm waiting to see the character design screen before I really care about what options there are or aren't.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:22 PM)Iex Wrote: By the looks of what I can see from the screen shots, you will be able to pick horns (maybe) but for sure color of the scales.

It's possible the blue/tan scales are also tied to the clan distinction. But it's really hard to know for sure until they release customization details.

I've heard they're working on a new benchmark? I hope the Au Ra are included in it.

(12-22-2014, 06:32 PM)Naunet Wrote: I've heard they're working on a new benchmark? I hope the Au Ra are included in it.
I believe it's both because of DX11 and other details in the expansion but yep there's going to be a new benchmark we can fiddle with.

(12-22-2014, 06:36 PM)Kage Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:32 PM)Naunet Wrote: I've heard they're working on a new benchmark? I hope the Au Ra are included in it.
I believe it's both because of DX11 and other details in the expansion but yep there's going to be a new benchmark we can fiddle with.
I never even got the old one...I feel like I missed out.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-22-2014

I LOVE the looks of the male Au Ra. Couldn't care less about the females though.

I'm personally not really that fond of dragons though, but I LOVE demons, and the Au Ra looks close enough to one. Tall and sexy, with horns and... no pointy ears. Sad It looks a bit odd how the horns sprout from where the ears should be. I wonder why that is.

But I love how they look. My new main race, though I don't know if I am going to change my main into one or make a new one, start with one of the new jobs and get the full new experience of the expansion that way.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:38 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:36 PM)Kage Wrote:
I never even got the old one...I feel like I missed out.

The old one (if we count 1.0's) weren't overly amazing, but do give a little peek at the world. I like that the benchmark included a character creater for 2.0, because it was a great way to get a peek at how a character would move/speak/etc before playing. (and a 2-3GB benchmark is much more portable than a 16+ GB game)

I actually never used the benchmark to see how my computer scored or if I could play.

I just said... I CAN PLAY SKYRIM?! I CAN PLAY FFXIV:ARR.

And then my defective ram showed and crashed me often.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Steel Wolf - 12-22-2014

Ooo, I'm really eager to see how the new DX11 additions make things look in the new benchmark. I'm not exactly a barn-burning rig, but DX11 makes even my mediocre-level machine look dead sexeh.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Aya - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Okay so  I went back to check out the thread you mentioned to see if I had indeed done what I've been accused of. It turns out not -- hell I even said 'But we can say what we think about it!' at the end of the second post.
Okay, I may have put too much emphasis on the rather categorical statements at the opening of the post which certainly appear to proscribe the very idea of having an opinion on any voluntary and private transaction.  That's certainly how it was taken by the recipient of the message, and that's how I read it.  The caveat at the end didn't seem to carry nearly as much wait, but it was meant to.  Sorry for misunderstanding you Smile

Quote:My sidelong opinion is also a part of the discussion, regardless of if it is a popular opinion or not -- turns out it's not! At least, assuming it's read correctly. And I find it particularly intriguing that I'm being called out on for invalidating someone's opinion (which I have not -- it's good to recognize an opposing stance for what it is)...and then told in the same post that the idea that I have expressed here doesn't mean anything.
Haha, I suppose, in a sense!  Sometimes tautologies have a purpose... :-]

I've also enjoyed your opinions on the Au Ra as expressed in the rest of the thread!

(12-22-2014, 06:47 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Ooo, I'm really eager to see how the new DX11 additions make things look in the new benchmark.  I'm not exactly a barn-burning rig, but DX11 makes even my mediocre-level machine look dead sexeh.

Chances are, it'll offload some work that your graphics card could be doing from your CPU. ...little optimizations for a few more FPS and some fancy effects. SE keeps saying they won't give us the hi-res textures they said they have :<

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:40 PM)theincubuslord Wrote: Tall and sexy, with horns and... no pointy ears. Sad It looks a bit odd how the horns sprout from where the ears should be. I wonder why that is.

Reptiles often don't have external ear structures, so this part makes sense to me, as they seem to take at least some inspiration from reptilian creatures.

(12-22-2014, 06:40 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: The old one (if we count 1.0's) weren't overly amazing, but do give a little peek at the world. I like that the benchmark included a character creater for 2.0, because it was a great way to get a peek at how a character would move/speak/etc before playing. (and a 2-3GB benchmark is much more portable than a 16+ GB game)

I used it extensively to just populate my characters' histories with various NPCs. XD I have an addiction to character creation tools in any game.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-22-2014

I guess this thread is no longer about the Au Ra's then?

(12-22-2014, 06:52 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:40 PM)theincubuslord Wrote: Tall and sexy, with horns and... no pointy ears. Sad It looks a bit odd how the horns sprout from where the ears should be. I wonder why that is.

Reptiles often don't have external ear structures, so this part makes sense to me, as they seem to take at least some inspiration from reptilian creatures.

And then you respond! XD

I just wonder where their ear holes are then. Behind the horns, maybe?

(12-22-2014, 06:48 PM)Aya Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Okay so  I went back to check out the thread you mentioned to see if I had indeed done what I've been accused of. It turns out not -- hell I even said 'But we can say what we think about it!' at the end of the second post.
Okay, I may have put too much emphasis on the rather categorical statements at the opening of the post which certainly appear to proscribe the very idea of having an opinion on any voluntary and private transaction.  That's certainly how it was taken by the recipient of the message, and that's how I read it.  The caveat at the end didn't seem to carry nearly as much wait, but it was meant to.  Sorry for misunderstanding you Smile

Quote:My sidelong opinion is also a part of the discussion, regardless of if it is a popular opinion or not -- turns out it's not! At least, assuming it's read correctly. And I find it particularly intriguing that I'm being called out on for invalidating someone's opinion (which I have not -- it's good to recognize an opposing stance for what it is)...and then told in the same post that the idea that I have expressed here doesn't mean anything.
Haha, I suppose, in a sense!  Sometimes tautologies have a purpose... :-]

I've also enjoyed your opinions on the Au Ra as expressed in the rest of the thread!

Couldn't we also say his tautology could be interpreted as "It's not going to change unless SE decides to change it"?

In this sense, yes, we the players can ask for change, but if it's been any indication from the Official Forums rants, some of the things we want happen, some don't. The dimorphism is likely in the latter.

...but if SE gave us more character creation options? (Especially eyebrows for Highlander men), I'd be emitting some hi-pitched scream that would scare people away.

It still is, I think!

Speaking of which -- I really enjoy the elegant, haunting look of the female Au ra's eyes. I think I said it before but I seriously cannot get over it.