Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Steel Wolf - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:51 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Chances are, it'll offload some work that your graphics card could be doing from your CPU. ...little optimizations for a few more FPS and some fancy effects. SE keeps saying they won't give us the hi-res textures they said they have :<

Awe, no hi-res textures? :<

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-22-2014

Others probably have said this before, but I think the female Au Ras look like evil female Miqo'tes. I do like the size difference, but the overall shape of the females are very close to the miqo's.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:58 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:51 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Chances are, it'll offload some work that your graphics card could be doing from your CPU. ...little optimizations for a few more FPS and some fancy effects. SE keeps saying they won't give us the hi-res textures they said they have :<

Awe, no hi-res textures?  :<

I really don't know why they're being such sticks in the mud about that. PS3 limitations, I guess.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 06:58 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote:

Awe, no hi-res textures?  :<

Nope. ...at least from what they've said. ...now things like the water and the cobblestones are gonna look awesome from tesselation, but if you've ever zoomed in on like, the trees or some armor, that's where textures would be nice.

...improved shader code does work wonders though!

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Aya - 12-22-2014

I just wish they'd make the females as bestial as the males, but I know its not something that's going to happen.  They like these aesthetics, and its not hard to understand why.  I don't really think technical limitations come into play, both WoW and TERA have dealt with non-humanoid shapes (with differing levels of grace), and FF could have found a way if that is what they had wanted to do.  But they want to make the Miqo'te version of dragon-people, and that's their prerogative Smile

I'll roll my eyes at it still, because, of course they would make an unbelievably dainty feminine model, and a hyper masculine model, of course!

They have done a nice job of making some highly muscled feminine characters in the game, at least, so I have to give them their due for that!  Something other games (*cough* TERA *cough*) utterly fail at providing. [Then I remembered the Amani, but I'm going to keep this as I wrote it originally ^^]

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 07:07 PM)Aya Wrote: Then I remembered the Amani, but I'm going to keep this as I wrote it originally ^^]

I think even BHS forgets the Amani. Sad

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kellach Woods - 12-22-2014

Considering my graphics card is dogshit and my cpu is baller. I'm kinda glad they're doing that.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Iex - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 07:07 PM)Aya Wrote: I just wish they'd make the females as bestial as the males, but I know its not something that's going to happen.  They like these aesthetics, and its not hard to understand why.  I don't really think technical limitations come into play, both WoW and TERA have dealt with non-humanoid shapes (with differing levels of grace), and FF could have found a way if that is what they had wanted to do.  But they want to make the Miqo'te version of dragon-people, and that's their prerogative Smile

I'll roll my eyes at it still, because, of course they would make an unbelievably dainty feminine model, and a hyper masculine model, of course!

They have done a nice job of making some highly muscled feminine characters in the game, at least, so I have to give them their due for that!  Something other games (*cough* TERA *cough*) utterly fail at providing. [Then I remembered the Amani, but I'm going to keep this as I wrote it originally ^^]
Perhaps we are all looking at this wrong...

It was mentioned by a first time poster who I will look up and Rep here in as second that they look almost demonic.

I am inclined to agree. To me neither of the genders look bestial in comparison to Charr and Aman. HOWEVER, they do look demonic... and if you note the horn direction on the succubus from Haukke manor... it matches the female horns of Au Ra. Perhaps we are off on the origin... They also share the frighteningly haunting look.

(I am aware they Succubus in the dungeon has ears and the horns don't replace them, but they have an eerie similarity.)

(12-22-2014, 07:20 PM)Iex Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 07:07 PM)Aya Wrote: I just wish they'd make the females as bestial as the males, but I know its not something that's going to happen.  They like these aesthetics, and its not hard to understand why.  I don't really think technical limitations come into play, both WoW and TERA have dealt with non-humanoid shapes (with differing levels of grace), and FF could have found a way if that is what they had wanted to do.  But they want to make the Miqo'te version of dragon-people, and that's their prerogative Smile

Perhaps we are all looking at this wrong...

It was mentioned by a first time poster who I will look up and Rep here in as second that they look almost demonic.

I am inclined to agree. To me neither of the genders look bestial in comparison to Charr and Aman. HOWEVER, they do look demonic... and if you note the horn direction on the succubus from Haukke manor... it matches the female horns of Au Ra. Perhaps we are off on the origin... They also share the frighteningly haunting look.

(I am aware they Succubus in the dungeon has ears and the horns don't replace them, but they have an eerie similarity.)

I would absolutely love it if they were demonic rather than draconic... however, it seems like they're definately half-dragons.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Ashren Dotharl - 12-22-2014

Given the major theme of the expansion is "Dragons" it is entirely unlikely they are anything but Dragonkin, or at least have an appearance inspired by Dragons. That being said, I don't honestly think that the Males look anymore "fierce" than the Females do. The biggest differences are of course the much larger horns and the fact that the Males have that sort of bearded-dragon thing going on in place of having facial hair. Considering it is supposed to replace the aesthetics of having a beard, I can understand why they didn't give it to the females as well. It would be like adding the mutton chops/goatee option that the Miqo'te Males have to the Miqo'te Females. Other than this I suppose the only thing that makes the Males more fierce looking than Females is that the Males seem to have a permanent look of being pissed off.

(12-22-2014, 08:44 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: Given the major theme of the expansion is "Dragons" it is entirely unlikely they are anything but Dragonkin, or at least have an appearance inspired by Dragons. That being said, I don't honestly think that the Males look anymore "fierce" than the Females do. The biggest differences are of course the much larger horns and the fact that the Males have that sort of bearded-dragon thing going on in place of having facial hair. Considering it is supposed to replace the aesthetics of having a beard, I can understand why they didn't give it to the females as well. It would be like adding the mutton chops/goatee option that the Miqo'te Males have to the Miqo'te Females. Other than this I suppose the only thing that makes the Males more fierce looking than Females is that the Males seem to have a permanent look of being pissed off.

Well, that, and the fact they are alot taller and alot more muscular than the females. Tongue

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Arrelaine - 12-22-2014

I want big horns on the females! MAKE IT HAPPEN.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Seriphyn - 12-22-2014

Actually, I think SE will come up with a lore reasoning for the sexual dimorphism. It just seems their style in how they explain things in FFXIV.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Zyrusticae - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 05:52 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: [...]Not to mention the majority of players don't seem to really object to the style. We're a minority after all, us roleplayers. [...]
Hah. You're not paying much attention, are you?

A selection of quotes from various places on the Internet:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/22/the-mog-log-final-fantasy-xivs-big-fanfest-reveals/
Quote:I was pretty disappointed in the new race, even though it's pretty much what i expected, humans shaded/sized up with a token difference that in other games could be a cosmetic accessory. I was hoping something more akin to a Ronso, Banga, etc. I understand maintaining a certain shape is necessary to not give the art/modeling team complete anyeurisms with every new set of gear, but give me something a more out there.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/20/final-fantasy-xiv-introduces-two-new-jobs-and-new-races-for-heav/
Quote:not a particularly huge fan of the new race, or rather, the ridiculous gender dimorphism they got going on there... I mean really now.. but hey... still better than the cats *shrug*
Quote:The Au Ra look surprisingly humanoid. The description on Gamer Escape mentions a long tail, but it's only visible in the concept art and on one of the females in the Au Ra quartet screenshot. I expected more bestial from that dragonoid description, what with being the first new player race since FFXI launched.
Quote:To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the Au Ra. The guys look beastly, but the girls just look like cute little Hyur. It's hard to even see their horns and tails. I guess Roegadyn women being the least popular race/gender combo means any new races will have traditional gender disparities like this. Kinda sad.
Quote:
Quote:Au Ra race is disappointing for me. Not a fan of everyone looking basically like a human, with certain themes attached to them.
Totally this. I really wanted an Ivalice Alliance kind of new race. I would squeal out loud if an FFXII style Moogle became playable.
Quote:What a boring-looking race. Why bother sticking other races in your MMO if they're just going to be human+random animal parts?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2pukvl/new_race_au_ra/
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:I am admittedly disappointed. I was hoping they'd go full reptilian, rather than just human with some extra bits glued on.
Agreed. But I'm hardly surprised. We had one human race and four more also-human-but-slightly-different races. It's just annoying that this one is even less different that the ones we already had.
Same, I was wishing for something truly beastly.
Quote:Also very disappointed, but in the end... I guess it's what I should have expected. 11 and 14... neither has ever had races that were not essentially human + 5% of something else. Hell most are just human but with a different build or pointy ears.
I think what annoys me more is how Viera clearly won the player poll for what was desired as a race, aaaaand SE said fuck off and just did something else. But hell even Viera are just human + 5% bunny.
But meh, it's just very obvious that if you want very differing races that are not sort of anime-safe, FF14 is not the MMO for you. This race certainly does nothing to draw me back into the game, personally, but I hope plenty of people do enjoy it and are excited.

http://kotaku.com/check-out-final-fantasy-xivs-new-race-raid-and-classe-1673451919/all
Quote:Okay, I am officially underwhelmed. I was hoping for Chemist as a new healer.. and the new race looks dumb /sigh Guess I'll have no issue staying a Lalafell Scholar
Quote:This is so weird, they don't even look like they're the same race. The girls are extremely shorter, and well... basically nothing matches between female and male.
Quote:The men look way better/cooler than the females. They need to make them both equally badass.
Quote:New race just looks like roegadyn an elezen put together... So stupid. Oh with dumb horns added. <sigh> I knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up.
Quote:The female version is a disappointment... They don't fit together with the males , in fact they don't even look like they are he same race. You could have left out or remove the females and said that they only have males who mate with other species.

I could go on, and on, and on. But it's pretty clear that a fairly sizable portion of the playerbase is not happy with or interested in the Au Ra as they stand.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Flickering Ember - 12-22-2014

For all we know though, Final Fantasy XIV's target audience, Japan, could think it is amazing. I mean, I am disappointed but I was expecting for them to be pretty. My honest impression is that the Japanese players probably wouldn't like any race that wasn't pretty. Judging from anime and Japanese RPG's, they don't really do sympathetic non-pretty characters. Attractiveness goes a long way towards a character's popularity.