Hydaelyn Role-Players
Post here if you want to be a brat - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Post here if you want to be a brat (/showthread.php?tid=9690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - FreelanceWizard - 03-19-2015

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED? That's a hell of a BSOD (unless you run in VMware environments, in which case it's Surprisingly Common -- in case you hadn't noticed, I rather dislike VMware Tongue ).

I'm actually fine with Windows 8, though I wish they'd have just decided to go full bore on the Modern UI and Windows Runtime or not done it at all. With my software developer hat on, I really dislike both the clunky UI of 8.1 and the fact that we have mutually incompatible APIs and no clear guidance on which one is going to win out. Is it Win32? WPF? RT? Who the hell knows anymore? Sad

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 04:56 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED? That's a hell of a BSOD (unless you run in VMware environments, in which case it's Surprisingly Common -- in case you hadn't noticed, I rather dislike VMware Tongue ).

I'm actually fine with Windows 8, though I wish they'd have just decided to go full bore on the Modern UI and Windows Runtime or not done it at all. With my software developer hat on, I really dislike both the clunky UI of 8.1 and the fact that we have mutually incompatible APIs and no clear guidance on which one is going to win out. Is it Win32? WPF? RT? Who the hell knows anymore? Sad

Judging by the quality of the BSOD, my guess is VM. I just grabbed the first one I found on the internet. Last actual BSOD I had was from an AMD GPU that was failing. I think I'm happy in my little IT field. I just get to fix ticket printers and these absolutely disgusting Windows Mobile 5.0 joyful ticket scanners.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Ha'uruh Nunh - 03-19-2015

Was going to stay late® at work today, but my blood pressure was so high I had to leave.  Might just drink a fifth of vodka and sleep all day tomorrow.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - FreelanceWizard - 03-19-2015

Windows Mobile 5...

*twitch-twitch*

I have some fun stories about developing for WM6.5. That damnable OS...

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 05:26 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Windows Mobile 5...

*twitch-twitch*

I have some fun stories about developing for WM6.5. That damnable OS...

Our "new" scanners use Windows Mobile 6.1! There is a reason some of our clients are begging to switch to android or something else, but why fix what isn't broken...?

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Sahb - 03-20-2015

(03-19-2015, 05:41 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Our "new" scanners use Windows Mobile 6.1! There is a reason some of our clients are begging to switch to android or something else, but why fix what isn't broken...?

I actually uh...like Windows Mobile 6.1 Blush.

The later versions though...Microsoft please.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-20-2015

(03-20-2015, 07:19 AM)Sahb Wrote:
(03-19-2015, 05:41 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Our "new" scanners use Windows Mobile 6.1! There is a reason some of our clients are begging to switch to android or something else, but why fix what isn't broken...?

I actually uh...like Windows Mobile 6.1 Blush.

The later versions though...Microsoft please.

I work on these all day. About 90% of the work related to them is waiting for them to finish startup up, calibrating the screen, and then having to reboot them to apply configuration.

[Image: xm66-with-pda-keypad.jpg]

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 03-20-2015

(03-19-2015, 01:47 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(03-18-2015, 09:55 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I got me a work-related rant today! Thumbsup

-REMEMBER THIS!?-

So, yeah. More irritation regarding this project.

-MORE ANGRY!-

Guess what! There's a Part Three!

So after a lot of fighting with the code, I have a bare-bones Admin page that lets an Admin add more users. So that's a login page, forgot password page, and admin page I have coded and have actually working and they do things. You can login on two levels - base user and admin, the forgot password page sends an email to the email registered to the account with the password in it, and the Admin page lets you search the base users, edit their data, and add new ones.

The other guy? He has a blank form page that has no populated dropdowns because "there's no information yet" (I artificially added stuff to the database to check my code). He DID help fix up the CSS, which is amazing and makes the pages not look like ass anymore, but the assignment he was giving is tenuous at best.

The application gets put up onto a test server for the PM and another to look at. I provide them with an admin login and a base user login so they can see what we've managed over these two/three days of work. Of course, first thing they do is look at the base page - the one that's nothing but a skeleton with no bound dropdowns, labels, text boxes, and a save button that doesn't do anything. They look at it, he says it's because there's no data to bind (which he could, y'know, just add to the database like I did), and they go "Oh, okay" and move on.

My mostly fully functional pages? HOW DO YOU REGISTER? THIS LINK DOESN'T WORK RIGHT. IT SAVES BUT IT SHOWS THIS ERROR. All these complaints on this code that I had no hands-on experience with before and basically Jerry-rigged into working over the course of the past couple days. Oh, and my most recent additions that fixed a couple of their decried errors hadn't even been taken and added to the test server.

So, basically, they look at a non-functioning skeleton page that doesn't do anything and are fine with that. Working pages? Gotta complain the shit out of every minor issue they find with it! Really speaks volumes about their priorities, I think.

I swear to God, I can't wait for this work day to end.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Ha'uruh Nunh - 03-30-2015

Guess who picked up a nail in a tire somewhere, and didn't find out until going out to the parking lot this afternoon after putting in an extra 2 hours at work?

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Volk - 03-31-2015

It could be 85F in my home and I will still ALWAYS wake up FREEZING. WHYYYYYYY?!?!!?!?!

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 03-31-2015

Hey, totally new gripe beyond the current coding project (which I could totally say more about, but I think enough's enough on that front - it's bad, you get it)!

People who use all manner of excuses to wave away their being an asshole when you call them on it. Oh, it's not their fault they're being a dick - they have X mental problem or their dog just died or their parents are getting divorced or grandpa's sick. To be more precise, it's one thing to actually be upset about those sorts of things - it happens, it sucks. It's another thing altogether when you use it as your non-apologetic excuse for being a pain in the ass.

I "forgave" the kid that pulled this crap with me, but the whole situation really rankled me. Not that I was completely in the right, but... well... maybe I should break it down some.

Kid was getting out of playing Magic and was selling all his cards on the cheap to help try and get money to buy a car. In the piles were some rather valuable cards - which got mentioned - being sold for much less than they were actually worth. I bought a few of them at the bargain price and slip a few into some of my decks.

Anyway, he still wanted to play with us, so I lent him one these aforementioned decks. And he proceeds to focus on me and try to punch me out of the game. And talking trash the entire time too - like, obnoxiously mean "above the usual trash talk us usual players use" trash talk. While playing the deck I'm letting him use. Finally get fed up with it and say "okay, I'm done" and take my deck back.

So he demands that I give him the cards I bought from him back. I tell him no, I bought them and so they're mine. He pulls the cash back out for them, I tell him they're not for sale. So yeah, I'm not completely in the right here, I get that. During this heated debate, he keeps bringing up the fact that his dog just died and all these things that are apparently going wrong with his life.

Whatever, things settle down, we move on. Everything's good, right?

This happened... summer/fall of last year? Due to my work I haven't been able to swing by as much. Managed this weekend after taking my little sister out to eat for her birthday (and to help cheer her up because she had to put down one of her ferrets Sad ), and I was in the area afterward.

He's there. I think nothing of it until I here him *trying* to covertly whisper about me. How he doesn't want to play with me because I "stole" his cards. I ignore it and focus on the boosters I had bought to see what I pulled. Then one of the other players talks about making room at the table so I can sit down and join since we haven't played in a while.

Again the kid is all "Don't let him play, he steals cards." Considering he'd been doing this nonsense the entire time I was going through my five boosters, I get fed up and confront him on it. His only responses to my corrections are "Why don't you zip it?" (complete with Dr. Evil "lip zip" motion), telling me to "shut the hell up" and leave him alone, and stating that his grandfather just died (which I vaguely remember him saying the last time too, it's been months, after all). Still, I assent to leaving him alone on it if he'll stop spreading lies about me stealing cards.

Funnily enough, I had completely forgotten the entire transaction until he brought up my "card theft." During writing this, I almost forgot that the reason for our argument was him targeting me with my own deck when he was talking smack. Thought he had a deck left over - but no, I distinctly remember he tried to put together a deck from "take-a-penny-leave-a-penny" style box for commons and uncommons to try and "win" the cards back from me.

Anyway, the others still want to play with me and I end up sitting across from the kid. Of course, he's all "Does he HAVE to sit across from me?" I'm basically done with him at this point and just want to play a couple games and then go home.

I don't know if he finally realized how hacked I was with him, my words got through to him, whatever. He then basically unloads about how his parents were getting a divorce back at the time, how this family member or that family member had died. I kinda-sorta empathize with him and we move on.

Still, it really just rubbed me the wrong way, and I found myself grumbling over it on the drive home. Mostly because I remembered him doing it every time he was on the defensive in a situation. Someone or something was sick or had died or something terrible had happened in his life. Every single time, like it they were all "Get Out of Jail Free" cards.

Maybe it's cynical of me, but I've found myself wondering more than once if he's making some of them up just to get pity and leverage. Because otherwise he's, like, the worst-off kid in the world.

But it's not really just him. When people keep making excuses for why it's okay for them to act like jerk-offs, it irks me. If they're apologetic and whatnot, fine, but don't use it as a reason to keep on doing it. It's like the Whale Biologist in Futurama, except not at all funny. And I WILL call you out on it if I'm in a bad enough mood that day (otherwise I'll just do my usual silent grumblings over it).

... So yeah, that's my rant/vent over THAT particular matter.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kou - 04-01-2015

Me putting in effort and going above and beyond my job title as tortilla maker is not simply me being me. And I guess while that means I'm clearly not doing enough, the other girl putting in the same effort and with the same results get all the praise because, "Ohmygosh, guys, she's so great and friendly!"

It is me putting in some god damn effort because I would like to actually do a job that is challenging and not so mind-numbingly simple and you would think my inquiries about management positions might mean that I'm probably interested and totally up for the task.

But no, by all means, make the guy that quit the job a year ago a manager. Sure. Never mind the fact that he wanted to quit the day you told me. Let's even forget the fact that he can't even do half the jobs in the place. 

I'm not even mad that it's not me. I'm mad that it's not someone who friggin' works their ass off and knows the job inside and out. And I can count, on one hand, the number of people who are infinitely more qualified than this guy and who deserve this position hell of a lot more than he does.

I'm pretty sure that means I need a new job.

The management in this place is a god damn joke.

Fast-Tracking to actual career? Yes, please.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-13-2015

that shake and pour pancake batter.....make sure the lid is tight the bottlr said...never said ANYTHING about being too tight and exploding all over my counters and myself. it's too early for this mess and erik better like these stupid pancakes after that >.>

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Alothia - 04-13-2015

Ugh.

Why do they give me spring break and then make me go back to work!? It's not fair!! I just want it to be summer break already!!

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Makyn Loneseeker - 04-13-2015

Getting assigned a semester project (mind you this was in January) and being told we can do whatever we want based off of it having to benefit someone.

As long as we follow all of the strict rules and guidelines.

My teacher literally said: "You can do what you'd like as long as you follow all of our rules."

I can safely say no one is liking this project.