Hydaelyn Role-Players
Body-Switching! [Rules Added] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Body-Switching! [Rules Added] (/showthread.php?tid=11032)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Body-Switching! - SicketySix - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:25 PM)Edgar Wrote: Why is anyone opposed to this when we are a community of people who abuse Fantasia so we can swap genders and even SPECIES?

Edit: Gharen, calm down. Damning a thread before it even has a chance to go anywhere? Not cool, unless the idea is stupendously horrible. And even then, it would be locked long before you had a chance to comment on it.

I'm not necessarily against it, but the groping comment I made above wasn't entirely to be funny, it's stating what will happen if this does start.

Which I'm okay with. I don't want to be in it but it'd be funny to watch it escalate.

RE: Body-Switching! - Edgar - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:28 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Whoa, everyone. There's a lot of hostility early on here. Let's try to stay civil, please? I mean, Futurama did a good episode with body-switching. Smile

#magicAdminHat

Yeah, I noticed the criticisms were getting kind of mean-spirited. I'll set an example and cool my head.

*Proceeds to dunk head in bucket of ice-cold water*

RE: Body-Switching! - SM Nick - 04-09-2015

Well, I don't mean for people to get abused like that. My characters would actively be trying to fix everything before it escalates even more. They would try to rally those who have been switched to help them look for the device to reverse everything.

RE: Body-Switching! - Aldotsk - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:29 PM)Faye Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 11:25 PM)Edgar Wrote: Why is anyone opposed to this when we are a community of people who abuse Fantasia so we can swap genders and even SPECIES?

Edit: Gharen, calm down. Damning a thread before it even has a chance to go anywhere? Not cool, unless the idea is stupendously horrible. And even then, it would be locked long before you had a chance to comment on it.

Because this isn't about someone changing their character's body, it's about someone being in the body of someone else's character. People are understandably hesitant about allowing for their own character's body to potentially be abused.

Or it is something that people can just choose to participate in or not? This isn't something that people are forced to do so. Why is everyone so oppressed to this idea when the OP didn't even say "we all should do it as it is a mandatory thing". 

It was just thrown for people who might be interested in trying out. Honestly, I am not quite sure why people are seriously being so hostile and immature about this.

Even if Solis did want to bring this idea up, I am PRETTY sure it's just non-canon. As in, it doesn't affect your character too much. You can RP with other people normally as your own character, but while you are participating in this particular event, you can pretend to be someone else (Like Admiral Merlwyb) within the group who only volunteered to participate in this event. 

Guys, if you don't want to participate in it - then don't participate it. But don't put circle jerk comments and give OP a hard time.

RE: Body-Switching! - SicketySix - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:33 PM)SM Nick Wrote: Well, I don't mean for people to get abused like that. My characters would actively be trying to fix everything before it escalates even more. They would try to rally those who have been switched to help them look for the device to reverse everything.

I'm no more of a pervert than the next guy, but if I got swapped into Ashley Tisdale's body, there'd definitely be a few freebie handfuls.....

*cue awkward silence*

RE: Body-Switching! - Verad - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:36 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Guys, if you don't want to participate in it - then don't participate it. But don't put circle jerk comments and give OP a hard time.

Positivity was not listed as a requirement for posting in the thread.

Technically, the OP can set up a certain rule boundaries while doing this event. And people can agree to not to cross that line. But that's okay, because I think putting rules can actually make people worry less about anything that might happen to their character like "groping" or even get their character killed or severely injured.

RE: Body-Switching! - Faye - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:36 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 11:29 PM)Faye Wrote:

Because this isn't about someone changing their character's body, it's about someone being in the body of someone else's character. People are understandably hesitant about allowing for their own character's body to potentially be abused.

Or it is something that people can just choose to participate in or not? This isn't something that people are forced to do so. Why is everyone so oppressed to this idea when the OP didn't even say "we all should do it as it is a mandatory thing". 

It was just thrown for people who might be interested in trying out. Honestly, I am not quite sure why people are seriously being so hostile and immature about this.

Even if Solis did want to bring this idea up, I am PRETTY sure it's just non-canon. As in, it doesn't affect your character too much. You can RP with other people normally as your own character, but while you are participating in this particular event, you can pretend to be someone else (Like Admiral Merlwyb) within the group who only volunteered to participate in this event. 

Guys, if you don't want to participate in it - then don't participate it. But don't put circle jerk comments and give OP a hard time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides here. The polite thing to do if you're not attending is to probably mind your own business, but this is a forum, people like to discuss things here and make comments, not to mention criticism can be constructive. All I'm saying is that there's no parallel between fantasias and body switching; the two can't be compared in this situation, and a lot of people are wary of even using fantasia to begin with, so it's not the best example even if it was a valid comparison.

(04-09-2015, 11:38 PM)Verad Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 11:36 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Guys, if you don't want to participate in it - then don't participate it. But don't put circle jerk comments and give OP a hard time.

While making childish snarking comment is required? 

Quote:1. Respect: "Be Excellent to Each Other." Please respect all fellow posters and role-players on these boards. That means no flame wars, no discrimination, no godmoding, no metagaming, no harassment, and no snarky attitudes. Additionally, don't call out individuals or groups by name on the forums for their actions; if you want to discuss the actions without mentioning those performing them, however, that's acceptable. Part of our respect for you is that we will never display ads, use third-party analytics tools, send you unsolicited e-mail, or provide your e-mail address to a third party except as required by law.

RE: Body-Switching! - SM Nick - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 11:39 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Technically, the OP can set up a certain rule boundaries while doing this event. And people can agree to not to cross that line. But that's okay, because I think putting rules can actually make people worry less about anything that might happen to their character like "groping" or even get their character killed or severely injured.

Exactly. I would forbid anything that's too much like overly sexual stuff or heavy injury. The highest I would go might be just slight touching but nothing NSFW.

More seriously, the following:

-It's a pretty well-trod concept at this point. It would be really easy to make a Freaky-Friday style plot that lasts for a day or so for the lulz or whatever the youth are calling it these days, but it will be largely superficial RP unless you can make the hook somewhat more interesting and give it some longevity.

-If you do it, your characters' efforts to fix the problem should not be the focus. Give that to the players who choose to join. Presume you're going to be spending more time managing the idea than getting to RP. If you insist on being the character who fixes everything, ask yourself why.

-Reed is 100% correct. People will escalate the event and do stuff like grope the body the participants find themselves in. It's an expected component of this kind of story (the old joke about the character finding him/herself in a new body and checking their junk to confirm the truth of it, to their horror and our amusement). You will need to establish OOC boundaries on what is and isn't acceptable behavior or somebody is going to get upset.

-Set an upper limit on how many people you want to join, and get assistance from other people whose chief interest is in managing the plot. If you have limited experience managing a plot, you will quickly find it escalates beyond your ability to run it alone if you don't.

(04-09-2015, 11:40 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:

Quote:1. Respect: "Be Excellent to Each Other." Please respect all fellow posters and role-players on these boards. That means no flame wars, no discrimination, no godmoding, no metagaming, no harassment, and no snarky attitudes. Additionally, don't call out individuals or groups by name on the forums for their actions; if you want to discuss the actions without mentioning those performing them, however, that's acceptable. Part of our respect for you is that we will never display ads, use third-party analytics tools, send you unsolicited e-mail, or provide your e-mail address to a third party except as required by law.

See what I was writing below and then come back to me.

RE: Body-Switching! - Coatleque - 04-09-2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0hMfqNQ-g

(04-09-2015, 11:45 PM)Verad Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 11:40 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:

See what I was writing below and then come back to me.

Yes you wrote that AFTER I posted about mine. But that still doesn't change the fact that aside from your well written suggestions afterwards doesn't really apply to the previous poster's attitudes before mine and yours. It's a violation of the first rule regardless. What Gharen did was wrong.

(04-09-2015, 11:47 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Yes you wrote that AFTER I posted about mine. But that still doesn't change the fact that aside from your well written suggestions afterwards should apply to the previous poster's attitudes. It's a violation of the first rule regardless. What Gharen did was wrong.

Previous poster attitudes are informed by the tiredness of the plot and the obvious ease with which the plot could lead into some shady business. Previous poster attitudes are being excellent in trying to kibosh the problem before it comes to light. I commend the previous poster for being excellent.