Hydaelyn Role-Players
How's the RP on Balmung? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How's the RP on Balmung? (/showthread.php?tid=12218)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - DuskfireDream - 06-23-2015

Can I have some good Linkshells on Balmung to get us started, please?

[Edit:] Also, who do I talk to to disband my Free Company? (In Yellow Serpents)

[Edit 2:] Nevermind, I figured it out.

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Melodia - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 09:52 AM)DuskfireDream Wrote: Can I have some good Linkshells on Balmung to get us started, please?

Hugs and Cake is a good one with a lot of nice open minded people who rp and do progression. Another is Open RP, which is very similar. Look in the Linkshell hall and see about contact information for them Smile

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Hammersmith - 06-23-2015

Man. I had the opposite experience from you.

The Balmung playerbase was pretty open, up front, and willing to engage in walk-up RP with a player who had no experience with the game as a whole, period.

That said: Go fishing in the "Making connections" board, check out the FC listings, and in general post and be part of the community and you'll start finding events, gatherings, and people who gravitate to when you log on, regardless of the amount of time you have to invest in the game (My ability to be online varies wildly depending on my social engagements of the week, ranging from full hermit mode to "Oh god why did I choose to have a whirlwind week")

Now here's the flipside of it:

Finding that RP IS completely your responsibility.  No one is obligated to bring it to you, in any fashion.  Not here, not on the server.  There are nice people who will help, but you have to ask, you have to engage, and you can't just wait and assume people will reach out.  It's tough, but it's worth it:  Be proactive, go looking for it, get involved, jump in, and understand not everything will work first time. 

You'll be fine.

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Magellan - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 10:08 AM)Melodia Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 09:52 AM)DuskfireDream Wrote: Can I have some good Linkshells on Balmung to get us started, please?

Hugs and Cake is a good one with a lot of nice open minded people who rp and do progression. Another is Open RP, which is very similar. Look in the Linkshell hall and see about contact information for them Smile
.... Mel beat me to it..

(06-23-2015, 10:10 AM)Hammersmith Wrote: Finding that RP IS completely your responsibility.  No one is obligated to bring it to you, in any fashion.  Not here, not on the server.  There are nice people who will help, but you have to ask, you have to engage, and you can't just wait and assume people will reach out.  It's tough, but it's worth it:  Be proactive, go looking for it, get involved, jump in, and understand not everything will work first time. 

You'll be fine.
Oh, absolutely. If I find someone else roleplaying in a group or signify that they are a roleplayer, I'll absolutely walk up and say hi to them. And sometimes, I'll just roleplay my character doing what they do around a city, and see if anyone is willing to walk up to me. I just need to know that there are roleplayers around for this to work with, and it seems, from what I'm told, that there are plenty around.

(06-23-2015, 10:39 AM)DuskfireDream Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 10:10 AM)Hammersmith Wrote: Finding that RP IS completely your responsibility.  No one is obligated to bring it to you, in any fashion.  Not here, not on the server.  There are nice people who will help, but you have to ask, you have to engage, and you can't just wait and assume people will reach out.  It's tough, but it's worth it:  Be proactive, go looking for it, get involved, jump in, and understand not everything will work first time. 

You'll be fine.
Oh, absolutely. If I find someone else roleplaying in a group or signify that they are a roleplayer, I'll absolutely walk up and say hi to them. And sometimes, I'll just roleplay my character doing what they do around a city, and see if anyone is willing to walk up to me. I just need to know that there are roleplayers around for this to work with, and it seems, from what I'm told, that there are plenty around.

[Edit:] Hey! Can anyone toss me an invite to that Hugs & Cake Linkshell? I'm currently online as Emi Narluna!

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Magellan - 06-23-2015

Try contacting any of the leaders listed here! 

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10815

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Aya - 06-23-2015

Balmung is the most pleasant, active, and enjoyable RP experience I've had in any MMO!  That's not to say its all Hugs and Cake (outside of Hugs and Cake!) but its pretty amazing, and if you want some Fantasy RP I can't recommend it highly enough :-]

I have been out of the loop of RP for a little while though, but I doubt things have changed much! 

People do express some of their trouble finding RP on Balmung, and that's just really true anywhere.  Any social group can be hard to get into, and I just encourage you to do your best!

Welcome to the RPC!

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Kage - 06-23-2015

Character transfers bypass the character creations lock.

What you'll have issues with (like everyone in Aether data center and sometimes Primal data center) is getting through the lobby errors because everyone on Gilgamesh and Balmung (two of the largest NA populated servers) are trying to play.

Right now everyone is super excited about the expansion when you can play.

Otherwise when RP is high...
Grindstone - Weekly Saturday Fighting Tournament RP even has seen near 30 fighters with just as much if not more spectators.

Weekly Tavern nights

Jancis' Celebration events are great as well!

(06-23-2015, 11:31 AM)Kage Wrote: Character transfers bypass the character creations lock.

What you'll have issues with (like everyone in Aether data center and sometimes Primal data center) is getting through the lobby errors because everyone on Gilgamesh and Balmung (two of the largest NA populated servers) are trying to play.

Right now everyone is super excited about the expansion when you can play.

Otherwise when RP is high...
Grindstone -  Weekly Saturday Fighting Tournament RP even has seen near 30 fighters with just as much if not more spectators.

Weekly Tavern nights

Jancis' Celebration events are great as well!
That sounds good! I'm checking out Balmung now, and I'm in that Hugs & Cake linkshell, and everyone seems very friendly. When are those tavern night and Jancis' Celebration events, and where do they take place?

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Lilia Lia - 06-23-2015

I can't speak for everyone, but the best thing I ever did as a way of getting consistent RP was join an RP FC.  There's a bunch of them out there you can find on Linkshell Hall and you can read about how heavy or light the RP is in them.  A lot of them also indicate they're RP companies by putting "RP" at the end of their little tag that you see by character names (in the game I mean).

Of course, for me at least, it has resulted in the bulk of my RP being company-based, but I've been trying to branch out a little, and really if you find yourself in a large enough FC of RPers that should be plenty to draw on.    And if other companies are anything like the one I'm in, you have a large "company storyline" with some characters having their own "side stories" and it's really fun to get involved in those, and being part of a "company" just gives you a reason to associate with a bunch of people by default.

As for the random RP on Balmung, it's really great.  I've gone to a few RP events and the people have a great attitude and are generally very welcoming.  And the nice thing about Balmung is that you see RPers all over the place so you can have a lot of random field RP which is really fun.  A few good ways to tell when someone is an RPer is whether they have a lore-friendly name, but more reliably check people's search info to see if they have something like "walk ups welcome."

Welcome to Balmung and I hope to see you around.

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Nebbs - 06-23-2015

Some words..
  • Diverse
  • Established
  • Events
  • Themed LS
  • Spread-out
  • Hot-spots
  • Open
RP is very much alive and thriving. There are cliques and groups (that's humanity) but tbh it is big enough to find a huge bunch that fit in with your style.

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Kellach Woods - 06-23-2015

Jancis' Celebration Events tend to be... monthly I think?

Weekly Tavern Nights crop up from time to time, but most of them are headed by FCs so you kinda have to know when they're hosting them if they're not advertising them. I know HoD has one in Lavender Beds each Thursday night.

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Lilia Lia - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 01:21 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I know HoD has one in Lavender Beds each Thursday night.

Our Tavern Night isn't happening this week owing to HW being out.  I think we'll be resuming next week though.

RE: How's the RP on Balmung? - Asmodean - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 01:21 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Jancis' Celebration Events tend to be... monthly I think?

They are. Seeing as I was part of the most recent one, I could give a bit a background on them. The Celebration are a monthly think and each month is linked to one of the twelve. Last was the Wander, Oshon with July going to be the builder, Byregot. While they are meant to honor the god they celebrate, most seem to simply the event as a place to rp a bit here and there as a way to met a few new people you may other wise not.

I went myself to see what it was like and stood doing little rp but saw how easily I could jump in if  I want too. Now Asmodean while still not much of a talker will be more willing to talk to a few people he met due to the most recent one.

But that is one thing to keep in mind, always be will to jump in, don't just stand around. Fortune favors the bold after all.