Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Question for Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Question for Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=12494)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: A Question for Balmung - K'nahli - 07-08-2015

I could practically be said that I never roleplay in public outside of events and perhaps one, single instance(on a legitimate character since I'm not counting my level 4 bandit character) a long time ago for a variety of reasons, but if I did then you could be assured that I would almost certainly not walk up to anyone else either since my characters wouldn't have anything to really say to strangers under normal circumstances.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Faye - 07-08-2015

(07-08-2015, 06:03 PM)Griffith! Wrote: It's in my comments, because I'm not adverse to walk-ups. I'm also not a big instigator, so I don't initiate a lot of walk-ups myself. That's not to say I never do, just that it's rarer. I'm not that outgoing a guy. I don't like bothering people.

So I put it there to show I'll RP back if someone walks up, not to indicate that I'll walk-up and start RPing. Pretty much just that.

This, pretty much. Someone saying "walk-ups welcome" but not initiating them is not a contradiction of some sort, but actually makes perfect sense. My experience seems to be the opposite of Melkire's--"walk-ups welcome" has always meant the person is open to anything appropriate and believable.

But, to answer the actual question in the OP about why people don't initiate walk-ups--they don't for likely the very same reasons that you may not.

Some people just like to RP with their friends or have planned out RP and don't do spontaneous RP with strangers, period. For others, they may not be approaching you out of shyness or anxiety, or they may not know that you're IC and wanting to be approached. Sometimes people just don't have ideas, or don't have a character that's easy to justify initiating a walk-up with. Some people are just looking for a certain quality or substance and just don't find it in the Quicksand that night. Some people play characters that come off as gruff and unfriendly and may be difficult for others to approach.

For anyone expecting walk-ups, I think it's important to throw out clues and sell yourself. One baffling thing to me is that I see people who complain of not finding walk-ups, yet they stand silently in the Quicksand for maybe five minutes then leave. Have patience, and actually actively emote, do something interesting to pique the interest of the people around you, take a seat at an empty table to give others an easy hook to approach your character ("May I sit here?").

I think it's important to keep in mind, however, that there's no surefire way of finding RP unless you initiate it.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Blue - 07-08-2015

Sigh... this is why I keep sending in-game suggestion mail to the devs to add an "RP" or "In Character" status icon to pop next to our name to inform others we are IC. A good reason I don't walk up to others IC is that I can't tell who is RPing, who is afk, who is OOC, etc. A status icon is what we need >_<!

RE: A Question for Balmung - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-08-2015

My couple thoughts.

Having "Walkup OK/Welcome/whatever" is still very much a one-way thought. It means you are fine with someone coming up to you! ....but nowhere does it imply that you would do the same to someone else.

And I think that's part of the issue with it. We've got too many people who would like to be approached instead of approaching others. I'm guilty of it. I think I'm bothering people 4/5 times I think of asking for RP. It happens outside the game too. Used to work in a restaurant. Worst part? Pre-bussing a table. That thing where you interrupt someone's mean and ask them while they're chewing if you can take that one plate that really isn't taking up a lot of space on their table back to the dishwashers only to awkwardly wait while they trying to finish their bite and provide some sort of response. Hated it.

It does make me think of putting something funny like "By the time you've read this, I will have read your wiki and debated if I'm going to approach your character."

RE: A Question for Balmung - Faye - 07-08-2015

(07-08-2015, 07:21 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: My couple thoughts.

Having "Walkup OK/Welcome/whatever" is still very much a one-way thought. It means you are fine with someone coming up to you! ....but nowhere does it imply that you would do the same to someone else.

And I think that's part of the issue with it. We've got too many people who would like to be approached instead of approaching others. I'm guilty of it.

I don't think this in itself is necessarily an issue. I think the issue begins when the people who wallflower all the time get upset or disheartened that no one approaches them, like others are obligated to approach them even when they would not do the same (not the case with the OP here, just something I've seen rampant on the RPC and in RP communities in general). It's okay to want others to come to you, but you can't get mad when they don't.

RE: A Question for Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-08-2015

And I think that's part of the issue with it. We've got too many people who would like to be approached instead of approaching others. I'm guilty of it. I think I'm bothering people 4/5 times I think of asking for RP. It happens outside the game too. Used to work in a restaurant. Worst part? Pre-bussing a table. That thing where you interrupt someone's mean and ask them while they're chewing if you can take that one plate that really isn't taking up a lot of space on their table back to the dishwashers only to awkwardly wait while they trying to finish their bite and provide some sort of response. Hated it.

It does make me think of putting something funny like "By the time you've read this, I will have read your wiki and debated if I'm going to approach your character."

I mean, I get this, but it's totally different in FFXIV, and if you take a breath an look at it, you'll see why. If you walk up to another person and RP something, they can just not respond. If they don't want to be bothered, or want to RP, they can just not type anything, or go.

/say Sorry I'm OOC))

I do way too much walk up RP, and sometimes people are either AFK/OOC or they just don't want to RP. If I don't get a response back for a few minutes, I'll send them a tell asking if they're IC.

Actually, here is a good way I use to judge interest in RP. If I walk up to a character that I think is IC, I look to see if they target me. I'll hover in front of them for a little bit before I start talking. Usually the ones who really want walk up RP will select my character to creep on me and read my tag. 95% of the time it means they're happy for the interaction.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Tierney Weaver - 07-08-2015

Look at it from an IRL perspective.  Some characters are socially anxious/afraid of rejection.

Some characters are grumpy,  they don't like to socialize.

And some characters go through different things.  It's normal for them to not walk up in these cases, the ''walk ups are welcome'' description is there for you to let you know that you can engage roleplay with that character anytime, just keep in mind that they might not be in the right mood

You can't blame someone for not walking up to you.

RE: A Question for Balmung - C'kayah Polaali - 07-08-2015

I have a habit of sending /tells to RPers asking what sort of RP they like. I usually take a "Walkups welcome" tag as an invitation to do this. I usually don't just walk up cold, though. I like to at least have a quick OOC chat to make sure they're not afk/waiting for a duty/whatever. I also like to find out a little bit about what sort of RP someone likes, and any background information we might know about each other - rumors, that sort of thing.

It's a lot more interesting for me, for instance, to go up to someone and say "I... know you. You're a pit fighter, aren't you? You're the one that took on those two Roegadyn with the nets... I won a lot of money off that fight, let me buy you a drink!" than it is to go up to someone and say "Gosh, it sure is hot today..."

I do get a kick out of people who don't seem to have a preference for anything:

"Hi! I see you're a RPer. What sort of RP do you like?"

"Oh, anything, really..."

Sometimes I want to come back with "Great! I've been looking for someone to use this sheep dip on! Hold still!"

Better yet, I love the ones that reply with "Not ERP." Again. That leaves a lot of open ground. Sheep dip time...

RE: A Question for Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-08-2015

(07-08-2015, 08:02 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote: I have a habit of sending /tells to RPers asking what sort of RP they like. I usually take a "Walkups welcome" tag as an invitation to do this. I usually don't just walk up cold, though. I like to at least have a quick OOC chat to make sure they're not afk/waiting for a duty/whatever. I also like to find out a little bit about what sort of RP someone likes, and any background information we might know about each other - rumors, that sort of thing.

It's a lot more interesting for me, for instance, to go up to someone and say "I... know you. You're a pit fighter, aren't you? You're the one that took on those two Roegadyn with the nets... I won a lot of money off that fight, let me buy you a drink!" than it is to go up to someone and say "Gosh, it sure is hot today..."

I do get a kick out of people who don't seem to have a preference for anything:

"Hi! I see you're a RPer. What sort of RP do you like?"

"Oh, anything, really..."

Sometimes I want to come back with "Great! I've been looking for someone to use this sheep dip on! Hold still!"

Better yet, I love the ones that reply with "Not ERP." Again. That leaves a lot of open ground. Sheep dip time...

When all else fails, and they just say 'anything' I just pick something physical about their appearance, and stereotype it.

Fun examples:
Highlander - Unemployed
Lalafell - Rich
No pants - Prostitute

99% of the time the stereotypes are wrong, but that initial interaction is usually fun, and breaks the ice.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Aya - 07-08-2015

Well, I think I lacked the room in my status to include walk-up RPer.  I just assume it of myself (and of others).  Sometimes that assumption doesn't turn out to be accurate, but oh well, that's the cost of trying to meet people Smile

What I look for in a status is:
RPer (if the character does not appear to be a likely RPer by appearance and behavior)

Important notes (obvious features, accents, etc).

The rest is just whatever!

RE: A Question for Balmung - Klynzahr - 07-08-2015

(07-08-2015, 08:17 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: 99% of the time the stereotypes are wrong, but that initial interaction is usually fun, and breaks the ice.

It's even funnier when you unintentionally get it completely right.

"Yer Ishgardian? Yer know anythin' bout these thrice damned heretics folk be yammerin' about?"

Little did she know.......

I do keep 'Walk up friendly' in my tag on the simple hope that someone may try to start something up and in an attempt to seem less intimidating for shy players.

Since I don't have much trouble initiating random encounters, I try to take the initiative when the chance presents itself. However this requires Klyn to be standing in a plausibly IC location, with no OOC obligations, or ques about to pop.

I also need to see some sign that my potential target the other party is open to an encounter. Simply emoting that your character has sat down on a bench, is enough for me to realize that they are present IC and accidentally dump Klyn's drink on their head or mistake them for a cactuar to get things rolling.

The last important thing to remember is that initiating RP requires a fair bit of creative energy. There are days when I can provide that and other days when I'm just too tired. Even if I only manage to start random RP once every week or so, I will continue to keep it in my tag because I see it as a welcoming gesture.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Lilia Lia - 07-08-2015

I really, really wish there were an easy way to tell when it's okay to inject myself into people's RP and when it's considered intrusive.  Personally I LOVE when outsiders acknowledge an RP that I'm having in public, because it makes the world feel more real to me.  And I'd love to contribute to that also for people who feel the same way I do.

One of my favourite early memories of RP was when me and a few of my FC-mates were doing an IC Stone Vigil run, and when we approached the place, someone who was standing nearby warned us about the horrors inside and pleaded with us to reconsider going off to certain death.  That was just so perfect and it set the tone wonderfully. 

But, I also know there're people who feel that randoms involving themselves in their RP is generally unwelcome.

I've gotten into an RP only to back out and then get a /tell saying "I wish you hadn't left, that was fun."  And I've never had the opposite experience really, of people saying my getting involved was unwelcome, but I'm sure people are just not going to say anything if it was.  So hard to tell.

Currently my rule is to engage for a little bit, and then based on the interaction, try to get a sense for whether I'm unwelcome and then gracefully dip out.  It's easy enough to "walk away" after you "walk up" after all.

RP etiquette is impossible sometimes... ho hum.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Caspar - 07-09-2015

(07-08-2015, 07:44 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I mean, I get this, but it's totally different in FFXIV, and if you take a breath an look at it, you'll see why. If you walk up to another person and RP something, they can just not respond. If they don't want to be bothered, or want to RP, they can just not type anything, or go.

/say Sorry I'm OOC))

I do way too much walk up RP, and sometimes people are either AFK/OOC or they just don't want to RP. If I don't get a response back for a few minutes, I'll send them a tell asking if they're IC.

Actually, here is a good way I use to judge interest in RP. If I walk up to a character that I think is IC, I look to see if they target me. I'll hover in front of them for a little bit before I start talking. Usually the ones who really want walk up RP will select my character to creep on me and read my tag. 95% of the time it means they're happy for the interaction.
Sometimes it's just a matter of reading the mood, admittedly.
Like what you mentioned, if someone approaches me and gets my attention, particularly in an area where there aren't too many characters for my poor PS3 to handle, I will usually look at the character in question for an extended period of time. If I am Monk, I am usually IC, so like Natalie said, it typically means my character is already ICly responding to you. I even have a lot of stock emotes macro'd, since my character does tend to be pretty inexpressive. I can't recall how many conversations have started with "Virara Wakuwa stares silently..." That's generally a pretty good sign.

There's no need to be embarrassed if you try to initiate rp and the other person is too busy. I try my best to not be in Monk whenever I'm doing progression based stuff in rp heavy areas, but sometimes that is unavoidable, particularly now when I have so much ground to cover to 60. On the flipside, I've approached quite a few players, but it is much harder to determine whether they're ready for an impromptu rp meeting outside of rest zones, like in the field, where they could be lvling or farming. It would be cool if there was an rp symbol, but at the same time, I often don't want to broadcast that too loudly, lol.

RE: A Question for Balmung - LiadansWhisper - 07-09-2015

I don't walk up to people because 99% of the time at the moment, I'm leveling or doing something entirely OOC.

What I wouldn't give for an IC/OOC in-game toggle...

RE: A Question for Balmung - Meena - 07-09-2015

If I can in any fashion start a scene for people to react to, I will. Especially on my pompous asshat lalafell; Mahana. She's a massive asshat. 100% asshat. 10/10 would punch her in the face with a rake.

However my other characters often need to ask for directions or the locals on where to find X or Y items or supplies in the wilderness.

But yeah, I often make some sort of comment like "Theres enough of them standing in a circle to cast a super spell.. I wonder if that is what they are doing. Standing, quietly around the tables."