Hydaelyn Role-Players
The First Day [Open] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The First Day [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=133)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: The First Day [Open] - Koninbeor - 06-07-2010

The trio deliberated for some time after the entry of the Sea Wolf. The burly man swore up and down that ol' Two-Patch must be the one they'd been talking about. "He ain't quite twenty feet, mind ye, but he's got a girth me eyes ain't witnessed since..."
"I swear if you say 'since my parrot choked on a cracker,' I'm going to wallop you." The tall man glanced back between the enormous figure with the cart and his youngest companion. "Well, you're the one who saw him. What's the final verdict?"
Pulling down the large magician's hat slightly, the youngest man leaned forward, shaking his head slowly. "Firstively, bigginimically as he is, the one I saw was easily three times more gargabicastic. Secondubidibly, that guy's voice is expurgently too valical. Thripacly, the giant I wichicalled myself hadn't flarcicated an eye that he booriged with two eye patches. That's not only inaccountingly but also a little rabidasclington if you ask me." He leaned back slightly and looked between the tall and burly sailors with a quick nod.
The tall one just blinked in complete awe and let out a long sigh after giving himself a moment to think. "I didn't understand a word you just said. I'm going to assume that guy isn't the impossibly large man you saw, though, since you aren't tripping over yourself to get out the door."
"Aye, that be the... I mean... yeah, same here..." The burly man pursed his lips together and began to look around for a bar wench. "Isn't there a server girl or something?"

Re: The First Day [Open] - Aveline - 06-07-2010

There was an uncomfortable pause after Two-Patch's words that caused Oryn's face to turn an embarrassing color of crimson. He could feel his heart screaming to get out of his chest as it rapidly sent adrenaline through his veins. He began picking up his books into a neat stack to mask any trembling. It wasn't that he was a coward; Limsa-Lominsa's streets were full of tough old salts, and half seemed to be shipmates of Oryn's sister. He was used to that enough. But Two-Patch did not seem like your average sea-trash to wash ashore, get stinking drunk, and make inappropriate passes at the more gentile local-women. Not to mention that he was big. And loud. And Oryn doubted very much that the merchant would ever need his services in a court of law. The bugger is more likely to defend himself, and sell half the jury trinkets and baubles while he's at it, he thought to himself.

"No-now see here, Mister Jack," the Hyur said, willing his voice to sound confident. "I'm afraid you've caught me flagrante delicto of attempting to enjoy a nice glass of port with this book which, hmm let me see, yes it does indeed happen to be the twelfth edition--good man for knowing it--and while I'm certain your weapons would be the excruciatingly best at ha ha cutting through red tape, I really must decline as I prefer the quill to do my fighting for me. I happen to be writing something of a treatise on local life, Thal willing. And if you like, Mister Jack, if you like, I shall personally pen an inscription to you, good man, on the frontispiece of a copy, once the text is completed, bound, and back from the printers. But for now, I beg you the graces of the Twelve celestials and ask to be left to enjoy my lunch in the aetherial bliss of solitude."

Oryn gave his best smile, which inevitably ended up as a wry grin somehow (no matter how many times he practiced in a mirror trying to give beaming lawyer-ly smiles instead), and keeping his face fixed at Two-Patch, glanced around the room from the corner of his eyes looking for potential allies and escape routes.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Nanapariri - 06-07-2010

"Good Choice Kid!" the Lalafell said rolling up the scroll and producing another which the Elzen took a bit tentatively. "Here's your first 3 orders Kid," she said standing up. "I'll send an associate to collect them in 2 weeks." Her business ended the Lalafell waved over her shoulder signalling the M'oquito who nodded and moved to follow closely as they strode past the table which the loud Sea Wolf and the young Hyur.

The auburn haired elzen sighed as she was left and sat down in the seat. Unfulring the scroll she squeaked in disbelief of the size of the 3 orders. Maybe she should of read the fine print...

Looking up she saw the scene with the loud, large merchant and the young man, who seemed to look her way for a moment, still unfolding. "I wonder if he signed a contract with that merchant he's trying to get out of..." she thought.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Eva - 06-07-2010

When a pair of seats at the bar became available, Orry quickly launched herself past a hyur couple and staked her claim. Her lalafell companion ambled over afterwards, ducking his head shamefully as the hyur gentleman raised his fist at Orry's direction, though she paid no notice. Pulling himself up at the bar, the mismatched pair continued to wait for some service.

"So, what're you gonna do with your split?" she inquired?

The lalafell rubbed his eyebrows, but before he could answer, the thundering of a Sea Wolf Roegedan cut him off. Orry's attention finally shifted away from herself, if momentarily, and her jaw dropped slightly.

She thwapped him in his shoulder, a bit forcefully given his small stature, and nodded to the newcomer. The lalafell's gaze was already fixed in his direction. Her whisper could be heard in that moment when the clamour of the place was cut off after his boisterous arrival, "Hey, that's Whiskeyjack.."

"Whiskey-who?"

"Two-Patch Whiskeyjack! If you came in here more than once in every four moons and you might get to knowin' some people, kiddo. No wonder Quiggy always says you live under a moldy rock... sheesh..."

It was the truth, too. Establishments such as this were not his cup of tea. In truth, he was probably content under the table while Orry was conducting business. Despite the suggestion that he try to steal the man's wallet while he was down there, he had known (or at least strongly hoped) that her suggestion was meant as a joke. That she hadn't asked about it would seem to confirm it for him.

"I'm tired, Orry. I think I'm just gunna go home."

Her gaze finally broke away from Whiskeyjack as she glanced at him - her expression something between concern and annoyance.

Adopting a softer tone, she nodded, "Alright Starkin, just remember our 'appointment' tomorrow."

"I will, Orry. Enjoy your drink."

Her voice became shrill again, "If I ever get one!" The bartender glanced over one of his broad shoulders at her briefly before running a washcloth over some dirty glasses and moving away to another patron at the opposite end of the bar.

The lalafell hopped off the seat and sauntered out of the bar leaving her by herself. As she waited, her eyes swept across the room. A scholarly-looking hyur woman had been glancing at her periodically, but she dismissed it as envy. Whiskeyjack was now engaged in conversation - no doubt a sale - with someone holding up a leatherbound book.

Now in addition to being thirsty, she was bored.

Though she didn't really want to be there too much longer the Elzen's nerves had been strung out, and the contract wasn't helping her calm any, she decided to go get a drink at the bar before she left. Her eyes fell on the scene, which she'd have to walk past, and the Alchemist gulped. "Well why would either of them notice me?" she thought.

She stood up and walked to the bar averting her eyes as she passed the Sea Wolf and the Hyur man. She purposely walked to the space she saw at the counter.

Though she didn't really want to be there too much longer the Elzen's nerves had been strung out, and the contract wasn't helping her calm any, she decided to go get a drink at the bar before she left. Her eyes fell on the scene, which she'd have to walk past, and the Alchemist gulped. "Well why would either of them notice me?" she thought.

She stood up and walked to the bar averting her eyes as she passed the Sea Wolf and the Hyur man. She purposely walked to the space she saw at the counter.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Varov - 06-07-2010

He listened to the Hyur, then went from smiling, to straight faced, to smiling again. "HAH! A Hyur after me own blood. By 'Leave me alone in Aetherial bliss,' I'll bet you meant, 'I want a job, Two-Patch!'" The large Sea-Wolf let out a boisterous guffaw, slapping the small man on his shoulder. He quietly reached down to his side and pulled a small slip of paper, a goods voucher worth nearly 2,500 gil, signing it before sliding it across the table. "Ol' Whiskeyjack knows talent when what he sees it, aye? Yer young, smart, and know the law. Most importantly, ye probably have license to practice it. That voucher, call it a signin' bonus, should be good down Hawker's Alley. Use it at some of the book shops what're set up there, eh? I ain't a lawyer... I am a notary... but I AIN'T a lawyer. I need one. Go buy you some books an' come back, let me know if yer in it to win it, son. If'n I don't hire you, I'll have to finish all o' my trials by COMBAT!" With that, the Sea Wolf stands up and launches a massive uppercut into the air - the sort that makes you want to shout SHORYUKEN, though you don't know why. He then messes up the young man's hair, and looks around the bar.

"Thal's balls on a stick! Ain't it just a mess of people around here today! Who's the lucky lad or lass what gets my company next..." He rubs his hands together, seeing a few of the locals roll their eyes and go back to their usual work. It's clear that he uses the new adventurers coming in and out of the tavern to scout for talent. He begins to methodically move past a few of the tables, hawk-eye spotting a few interesting folk. He looks at the nervous Elezen woman who just conversed with the lalafel business woman. "Nope. Yer spoken for, lassy. If'n you want better rates, Two-Patch Exports could always use some alchemists." He keeps walking towards the bar.

"Ah, here we go!" He takes a seat at the bar where, moments before, a Lalafel departed from the bar - leaving a slouched Elezen woman sitting by her lonesome. He leans his massive frame onto the bar and then eyes Orry up and down, "Well, normally ye pointy-eared folk drink yer beer with a pinky out. Here you are, slouched over, lookin' like you ain't eaten in a few days. What's yer talents, kiddo?"

Re: The First Day [Open] - Kylin - 06-07-2010

Myra couldn’t help but frown at the scene unfolding in the bar now. It had quickly become more populated than she expected at this time of day. To make matters worse, there was the roegadyn pouncing about and he was no doubt some kind of salesman. The hyur started thinking quickly to herself.

She recalled something she had read in one of her feminist books. It had stated that while men had few issues approaching one or even two women, they were more often than not intimidated when it came to approaching a larger group of women. Myra scanned the bar with the ferocity of a warrior looking for a battle. If she could just get one more woman to sit at the table with her and Yecely, it could just be enough to prevent the salesman, or any other man present in the tavern, from approaching. Sadly, there were few women present by the looks of it. The two she saw were both up at the counter, one of which was already approached by the roegadyn.

The hyur was clearly in deep thought, trying to figure out how to build up the barrier before any of the men had a chance to strike.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Eva - 06-07-2010

Looking somewhat abashed as the quiet Duskwight and boisterous Sea Wolf plopped down simultaneously on either side of her, Orry felt almost threatened, momentarily feeling cornered between the duo before realizing that each had come from different directions and they clearly didn't know one another. Coincidence... She didn't even have time to laugh to herself before the Roegadan began chatting her up. The auburn-headed elezen woman didn't much look like she wanted a conversation anyway.

"Hiya Mr. Whiskeyjack!" she beamed at him. It had become painfully clear that, despite his reputation she had never exchanged words with the man. To be honest, she seldom found herself in The Drowning Wench by herself. She was always here in company, whether it be for business or relaxation with friends.

"My talents, hmm? I guess you could say I see things others do not, and have a knack for orchestratin' things and gettin' people together who wouldn't normally work together. Ya know what I'm sayin?" She gave him a winning grin. "I can be pretty persuasive when I mean to be..."

She glanced at the bartender, who was now clearly avoiding her. "That is, when people bother to pay attention!!" The last was in a raised voice, and if the bartender heard her, he now gave no indication of it.

Turning back to the Sea Wolf she batted her eyelashes a few times, "What's a gal gotta do to get a drink in a place like this, anyhow?" She giggled.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Aveline - 06-07-2010

Oryn stood at the table, mouth agape and looking for all the world like someone had just slapped him across the face with a cold sea eel. He stared down at the goods voucher, then back up to Two-Patch, but the Roegadyn was already chatting up a lady across the room.

Smoothing out his hair with one hand, Oryn pocketed the voucher with the other and glanced about. There were an awful lot of women, all casting glances at one another. It made Oryn a bit uncomfortable, after being made such an inadvertent spectacle of by Whiskeyjack. Still, he mustered his pride, straightened out his jacket, and gave a dignified nod to the two Hyur woman who seemed to be staring the most as he strode to the bar--opposite side from Whiskeyjack--and tried to get the barkeep's attention.

Luralel nearly jumped out of her skin when the Sea Wolf addressed her but it seemed her blundering into a contract already had saved her from his attention. Instead he did pounce on the other Elzen at the counter. She sighed feeling other roving eyes, not being used to the city tavern bustle, and meekly tried to get the barkeeper's attention. She was chagrinned that the other counter occupants seemed to be also.

Luralel then at that point decided that if they hadn't noticed the other far more forward people she probably wouldn't get served herself. Abashedly she slid off the stool and looked up wondering just what she should do. She needed that drink more than ever now especially since a lot of people, in particuliar a Hyur woman and the young Hyur man, seemed to be examining all of the other patrons.

"Oh Lura what have you gotten yourself into?" she muttered in a soft voice while wondering if leaving her home in search of adventure and greater knowledge was really the best choice. Perhaps adventure was like a wild animal that savagely turned on the unprepared hunter that tracked and cornered it.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Koninbeor - 06-07-2010

The trio of sailors were far more interested in their own tall tale than they were with anything else going on around them. They got so caught up in debating with one another in their unique way that none of them noticed the doors open to introduce a walking mountain. The solid figure was massive even by Roegadyn standards. Like Two-Patch, he appeared to be one of the Sea Wolves. A baggy sailor's shirt adorned his heavily muscled torso, long rips crisscrossing the once white fabric that was now mostly stained pink and red from what could possibly be blood. Brownish breeches covered massive legs just past the knees, also ripped in several places and heavily stained, while the bottoms appeared to have been torn off. The hulking form wore no shoes. The Roegadyn was rather young and by appearances could not have set out on his own too long ago. His dark hair was completely disheveled, and the Sea Wolf wore a beard. What could be seen of his skin was clearly marked with heavy bruises and welts that were very recent. The most noticable characteristic of the Wench's latest entry was not his size, however, but the confidence he carried himself with. His gaze swept over the room with a fierce intensity, though there was no malice in those eyes. Before he could step in any further, the youngest of the three sailors dared a quick glance to survey his surroundings. The Hyur's mouth dropped open and he tried to dart up to his feet, instead falling backward in his chair with a loud crash. He was in such a hurry to get up that he fell over himself a few times before actually reaching his feet, and then he simply sprinted for the door, holding on dearly to his magician's hat to keep from losing it. The other two watched their friend in astonishment. Poor vocabulary or no, that was a bit surprising. Once their eyes fell upon the giant, they also made haste for the door. While he was clearly not twenty feet tall and capable of holding three men in each hand at once, they wanted no part of anything that scared their companion that badly. The young Sea Wolf rolled his shoulders ever so slightly in what could have possibly been a shrug as the trio fled the scene.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Smiling River - 06-07-2010

All the noise killed Yecely's buzz from the wine and she couldn't bare to even think about working in this environment.

"Listen, I should go. It's gotten a bit too rowdy here for my tastes," Yecely said calmly as she made out a note. "Here is the address to where I'm staying. Come for a visit, we can talk." She looked around at the patrons, especially men who can potentially make passes at her on her way out. A route with least interruptions was set in her mind and now all she had to do was collect her things. But before going she looked in Myra's eyes to try to decipher what her new acquaintance was thinking. Yecely didn't want to admit to herself that she was looking for an excuse to stay.

Re: The First Day [Open] - Kylin - 06-08-2010

Myra frowned as she took Yecely’s written down address. Her female “herding technique” was about to go up in smoke, leaving her wide open to the roegadyn salesman and other idiotic men. At that moment, another burly roegadyn entered the tavern. His intimidating presence caused three of the men to scatter out of the building.

Returning her gaze to Yecely, Myra quickly removed her frown and turned her expression to one of concern and disappointment. “Leaving so soon? Is it really because of how rowdy it’s become? Listen dear, you can’t run away every time a large group of men show up. You have to stand your ground. Otherwise they win. Besides, as a journalist you really should learn to stick around the crowded areas. It could be the only way to get your story.”

Myra scanned the tavern once more, her eyes settling on the elezen duskwight at the bar. “Look,” she stated as she pointed to the elezen. “We just need to invite another woman to join us. None of these rowdy brutes will likely bother approaching us if we’re in a larger group. Will that make you feel better?”

Re: The First Day [Open] - Koninbeor - 06-08-2010

There were no familiar faces left after the three sailors abruptly departed. Not that they would have been any welcome company anyway. The behemoth made his way over to the bar, taking care not to crowd anyone. He headed for the largest gap of open seats as close to the right side of the bar as he could manage and eased himself onto a stool. The bartender didn't seem to mind his fierce gaze at all, likely having seen the like dozens of times this week. The Roedagyn glanced over to a random patron when asked what he wanted, inclining his head slightly when he spotted a bowl of soup, and returned his gaze back to the bartender. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin pouch, only to find it as ripped as his clothing. An attempt was made to jingle any coins left within, but there was no sound. A slight grin crept into the edges of his mouth, massive head shaking slowly at the realization. When the bartender began to approach with his food, the mountainous Sea Wolf shook his head and gave a wave of his hand, then indicated the empty pouch.