Hydaelyn Role-Players
Joining & leaving RP FC questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Joining & leaving RP FC questions (/showthread.php?tid=13585)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Joining & leaving RP FC questions - Frogpants - 09-26-2015

I say ask before joining. Most fc I've seen have established ways to deal with such things. Just ask how they deal icly with chars of people who left because they didn't click oocly.

RE: Joining & leaving RP FC questions - Shoshopu - 09-26-2015

Do talk to the officers before you leave to let them know why, if you'd like, but other than that I don't think you have any other obligations, social or actual. And it's in your right to completely retcon your time there and write something else to go there instead, as well, if you want- doesn't even depend on the severity of whatever reason you had for leaving, it's your character and you don't have to carry around every FC they've been in if you don't want to. Unless the FC is really, really big, or you RP with people who are friends of the FC but not in the FC, chances are their remained inclusion of your character in their story-thus-far, if they choose to do that, won't bleed into or interfere with other RP you find in the future.

I speak a little from experience here. I've retconned a character's existence in a guild before from her current and backstory and it ended up not affecting much, if any of my RP afterwards. I retconned for personal reasons related to the circumstances behind my leaving in the first place. What was removed ended up only being a small would-have-been chapter of her story, anyway, as I continued to RP with her with better groups. The one or two people who remembered my character's time with the first group were completely understanding of the retcon and went with her new story.

My example of my personal leaving of an RP group is more extreme, so for another example, people leave my FC occasionally if they're just not a good fit, or if they don't have time for the game anymore, or if they have found another group they'd rather RP with, and that's fine and dandy. They say their goodbyes and head on their way and there's no drama. I'm not sure all FCs are as chill but I'd be willing to bet most of them are.

It's your character, your time and your money to do what you want with, but good on you for wanting to leave in the least disruptive way possible! Here I suggest the less is more approach. Just be polite as you leave and move on.

RE: Joining & leaving RP FC questions - X'shah Zinbhe - 09-28-2015

You have received an abundance of excellent advice that I won't reiterate. However, I did want you to know that you are not alone. I am very picky myself and like to see FC role-players "in action" even before I go through the application process to see if their role-play style meshes well with mine. Thus far that has worked very well for me, despite the fact I tend to run as a lone wolf and very independent most of the time. 

Trust me, you are fine. I'm fairly picky: non-good aligned, no "worship me" FC leader characters, and a certain high standard quality of role-play. If you ever feel like you're not doing great or too picky, just think of me!

RE: Joining & leaving RP FC questions - industrythirteen - 09-28-2015

To me, OOC and real life always come first. Hands down. RP is a collaborative effort out-of-character before it is in-character, and requires working with other players to entertain one another. First and foremost, the player in question, usually, is our friend, or soon will be, and we should make every effort to include them, to work with them, to meet them halfway if there is ever a character or roleplay-based storytelling issue. It is still an out-of-character issue that should first be addressed. I personally think that a solid OOC foundation makes for a much better RP experience. 

That said, sometimes there just isn't a good fit between new member and FC, and that's okay. I personally don't subscribe to the idea of absolute guild loyalty. I think people know what is best for them, and they should trust themselves to make the right decisions for them. It really is okay to just say 'this isn't working for me, thank you, but no thank you,' and leave on good terms. It is also nice to give the FC leadership a heads up as to something that might be an on-going problem. While that may require an uncomfortable exit interview conversation, no one is under any obligation to have that conversation. For me at least, as a co-leader of an FC, I'd at least like to know what I could have done better. 

What I don't necessarily think is an ideal approach is to isolate or hold back during the initial trial-run of joining the FC. I think new members should be as active as possible, and established members too should help those new members adjust. That trial period is just as much, if not more, for the new member to figure out if the FC will work for them, as it is for the leadership to assess whether the new member is a good fit for the FC.

RE: Joining & leaving RP FC questions - Dis - 09-29-2015

I think that all of the complications behind leaving a RP FC (or guild in any game, really), is why the FC that my husband I run is currently set up like a mercenary company.  If there's an OOC reason for you to leave like going to help friends, finding a group that you fit better with on an IC and OOC level, it's as easy as literally 'I've found other options that I want to pursue'.  Your character easily detaches from the company, and you can move on pretty seamlessly. 

I've left guilds for a lot of different reasons, some IC, some OOC, across multiple MMO's.  A lot of the time as long as you make sure that the departure is friendly, it doesn't seem to be a huge deal.  Being friendly is as simple as letting the leadership know that you want to move yourself and your character in another direction.  I've had to stretch to find IC reasons to leave, but I've never had to abandon a character to get away from that guild. 

Even with my character tangled very far into the plot, I've always been able to find a logical reason to detach myself from that group.  It all depends on what's going on.  I think, like with anything else, communication with the guild/FC leadership is very important in a clean and simple break.  Hard feelings make this more difficult, obviously, but it's still possible.

RE: Joining & leaving RP FC questions - Masaki Moui - 09-29-2015

(09-28-2015, 11:51 PM)industrythirteen Wrote: To me, OOC and real life always come first. Hands down. RP is a collaborative effort out-of-character before it is in-character, and requires working with other players to entertain one another. First and foremost, the player in question, usually, is our friend, or soon will be, and we should make every effort to include them, to work with them, to meet them halfway if there is ever a character or roleplay-based storytelling issue. It is still an out-of-character issue that should first be addressed. I personally think that a solid OOC foundation makes for a much better RP experience.

This is written better than I could express it and it's just the way I look at RP and the OOC communication and trust factor involved. With this in mind, I like to communicate with the FC or FC leaders if I can and leave on good terms. If I try my best to communicate my intentions and come to an understanding then I have a clean conscience.