Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pick up RP Etiquette - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Pick up RP Etiquette (/showthread.php?tid=14229)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Swygynwyzn - 11-09-2015

I typically tend to be IC alot. Only time Im not as Val said is if Im jumping around or running about I play an older character and those arent things he does. Also if Im sporting any of my solid gold crafting gear pretty good sign but I try to go ic even in these instances if possible. I ended up running to go grab something in Gridania and someone said they bumbed into me. I checked my log and sure enough I had so we made an event out of and I made a friend.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Nebbs - 11-09-2015

I'm with the always IC to some degree crowed, and can quickly shift to full IC as needed.

I am also very much into free-form (un-organised) RP. You just have to give off little hooks and things to get RP in odd places. Though it requires a server with RP active in the open world (or at least RPers).

So.. pick-up lines as hooks and sometimes people respond, sometimes they don't. Some of the best RP I ever had was spontaneous.

What you do get from a common crowed are IC relationships that allow for deeper more developed RP. This may be one reason why people RP with the same people, though there are many more I am sure.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Ton - 11-10-2015

Thanks for all the great responses! I'll check people's info if I'm not sure, but how do you change your own?

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Diskwrite - 11-10-2015

Walk-up RP is great, but I have to be in the right mindset for it. It's got to do with my introversion and occasional social anxiety. Sometimes I just don't have the mental energy to do a random RP on the fly.

So if someone wants to approach me, I really really appreciate a /tell first. It helps me get in the mindset of "hey random RP." Unless I'm at a public or open RP event, in which case I'm already looking to RP with everyone. :3

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - C'laihn - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 11:30 AM)Ton Wrote: Thanks for all the great responses! I'll check people's info if I'm not sure, but how do you change your own?

Right click your name (you can do this anywhere- FC list, party list, etc) and select "Edit Search Info." Then just write what you'd like in the comment portion and confirm!

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Zelmanov - 11-10-2015

If I am just trolling the Forgotten Knight/Quicksands/Carline Canopy for solo people, I will toss an emote tell at them first, if they choose to respond in tell or bring it into public, then the game is on in their chosen venue, if they ignore, move on.

If I am witness to a scene that seems pertinent to my character but clearly something that is planned, I tend to message a "Hey, my character is an insufferable white knight and usually won't stand by while this happens, can I show up or must I vacate myself from the area?" I usually leave if the response is the latter, in order to avoid a clash of character since I tend to heavy rp more than normal RP, my character is going places for reasons so I need to readjust.

I tend to be VERY receptive of people who approach me while I am solo, if I am currently in an RP scene and some random comes up I tend to ignore them unless genuine effort is put into their posts (I've never really experienced someone stepping into a scene that wasn't just a troll trying to get a reaction) or they are tangentially related to the person I am rp'ing with.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - -no longer matters- - 11-10-2015

(11-09-2015, 05:04 PM)Ton Wrote: I'm curious how people, particularly people who hang out in Ul'dah, feel about unorganized RP.

Since joining this forum, I have learned how most people have dedicated groups and intertwined story arcs, and it would seem rude or out of place simply strike up conversation.

I find it more natural to be IC on the spot. I'm also not sure how being new to RP will be received by RP heavy linkshells.

(PS: Whoever was RPing Haurchefant in Ishgard and Limsa, you made my day.)
A lot of people have walk ups welcome/ok/encouraged in their search info, They usually are super cool with people walking right up.

I know if I'm having a Public RP, and someone walks up I include them in as much as they're willing to include themselves. Smile

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - C'kayah Polaali - 11-10-2015

It's usually pretty easy to tell when a RPer is in OOC mode. Like Val says, sitting and staring at the retainer bell, or wearing ridiculous armor, or having your minion out, or any other number of things are good cues to this.

For me, though, I'll typically send someone a /tell before I go up to RP with them. Some people RPing in the quicksand are in the middle of something intense and would rather not have it be interrupted. Some people are afk. Some people are just hanging out while someone in their party uses the bathroom before they go back into Alex.

I'll expand on that a little. When I'm bored, I tend to go to places like the Quicksand and examine people. If someone's clearly a RPer and clearly not doing anything, I'll send them a /tell introducing myself and asking what sort of RP they like. I'm a big fan of pick up RP, but without a little OOC chat first it tends to just be "Hey. 'Sup." "Nothin' much. Drinkin' an ale...". Having a little OOC talk with someone allows you to set up a more involved hook for the pick up RP.

Here's an example. Setoh's a criminal. He's basically a Leon the Cleaner type, working for whoever pays him. I'm sitting in the QS, and I see someone standing on their own. Their character info says they like mature RP, so I send them a tell:

Me: "Hey! I saw your search info! Do you do crime RP at all?"
Them: "I don't, but I'd love to get into that. I want my character to be an information broker..."
Me: "That sounds cool! Are they doing that now? Would they be well known?"
Them: "They're just starting out, but yeah, his name is out there..."

Which would lead me into approaching his character to buy or sell some information. It's still pick up RP, but it's got a deeper hook that sets the stage for future RP.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - Fox - 11-10-2015

(11-09-2015, 05:38 PM)Val Wrote:
(11-09-2015, 05:34 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: I react badly when people push me to RP with them when I tell them I'm OOC/busy. That is weird to me.

This is probably the absolute worst to me. If I'm obviously OOC in PvE gear or am chilling near the retainer bell/on our OOC hedge (aptly named because it's where we all go OOC), staring at a mailbox, goofing off by running around in circles, and many other obviously OOC things, please don't approach me and try to force me IC. There are some people that assume every action in game is an IC action or that they can just approach people and force them IC by greeting them IC and just.. no. Don't. It's a huge peeve of mine and it's not only annoying as shit, but comes off as incredibly obnoxious as well.

I hate this so much. I had something like this happen in the QS. While I have "Walkups welcome" in my tag; I was oocly running through the tavern to leave the inn. I was in OOC gear, nothing matched- etc and was running to catch up with my boyfriend so we could teleport. And someone approached me and tried to rp. I oocly told them I wasn't ic and they threw a tantrum saying "You have walkups welcome!" I got very irritated off screen, and politely informed them that I am trying to get through the MSQ and I'm not always in character. They got passive aggressive and snotty with me for it. So I ignored them. I really hate this sort of crap.

RE: Pick up RP Etiquette - murasaki - 11-10-2015

So that's what those /tells are... lol
I have received /tells when I was running through the QS from the inn room / mender NPC and I'd usually be out of the inn by the time I reply to them and they don't reply back Tongue
(New alt, so I'm usually busy going through quests and levelling up)