Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Greatest Food is Curry! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: The Greatest Food is Curry! (/showthread.php?tid=14300)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Kage - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 06:41 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Otherwise, Coco Ichibanya for Japanese-style curry. Chicken cutlet, vegetables + cheese = best way.
And extra small rice. /runs

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Caspar - 11-16-2015

Good god I want that. I've half a mind to go buy curry tonight. It's a shame this Ichibanya chain doesn't seem to exist where I am.

Although my favorite curries tend to be Indian, Japanese curry holds a special place in my heart for its homey quality. It is not hard for me to understand why the average person eats it like 70something times a year over there from what I've heard.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Kage - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 06:49 PM)Caspar Wrote: Good god I want that. I've half a mind to go buy curry tonight. It's a shame this Ichibanya chain doesn't seem to exist where I am.

Although my favorite curries tend to be Indian, Japanese curry holds a special place in my heart for its homey quality. It is not hard for me to understand why the average person eats it like 70something times a year over there from what I've heard.
Another chain is Curry House (of House Foods) but I feel like Coco Ichibanya's are better tasting.

Though... I think Ichibanya and Curry House is more CA / So-Cal or Japan.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Steel Wolf - 11-16-2015

Funny you bring this up--I made this just this afternoon. :D

[Image: 1116151302.jpg]

Beef and mixed veggies, red thai curry paste and thickened with some coconut milk and flour. I like my curries warm and thick. :3

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Meis Knifebearer - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 07:04 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Funny you bring this up--I made this just this afternoon.  Big Grin

[Image: 1116151302.jpg]

Beef and mixed veggies, red thai curry paste and thickened with some coconut milk and flour. I like my curries warm and thick.  :3

I wonder whether that homemade curry easily beats the curry I got earlier today. The very first post is exactly what my curry looked like and it was delicious. I'd honestly have to say that your curry looks like it takes the cake only because there would be seconds and even thirds! How lovely.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Steel Wolf - 11-16-2015

It turned out quite good. It's one of my favorite meals because it can feed a small party and doesn't cost huge money to put together.

I have otherwise had and made a Japanese katsu kare with pork, a basic curry with a Japanese curry roux package, and garam masala chicken curry.

Green curry, though? That is definitely a new one on me. I'm gonna have to look in to what that's made of.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Meis Knifebearer - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 08:55 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: It turned out quite good. It's one of my favorite meals because it can feed a small party and doesn't cost huge money to put together.

I have otherwise had and made a Japanese katsu kare with pork, a basic curry with a Japanese curry roux package, and garam masala chicken curry.

Green curry, though? That is definitely a new one on me. I'm gonna have to look in to what that's made of.

I was actually going to make mention of all the posts here. For the green curry, we had a place called 'Sticky Rice' that made an awesome green curry. It was amazing and though I only had it once, it's something I long for every day. All the curry shared here looks amazing. I ought to learn to actually make my own though!

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Zan - 11-17-2015

Hello! Lurker comin' out of his shell for a bit to ask all of you a favor!

I am trying not to be a disgrace to everyone in this thread, but I've never had curry before, and I was curious if you all could give tips and pointers on how to make home-cooked curry. Yes, I know I could easily find a recipe online, but I would love to read some personal insight with curry lovers. I've been wanting to make curry for a good while now just so I could experience how it is. 

Also, for those who wonder why I haven't gone to a place which serves curry... Well, I have yet to find any that do, which is a sad sad thing.

Anyroad! Anything would be appreciated and all the food looks delicious!

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Steel Wolf - 11-17-2015

Well, speaking for myself, I would suggest trying out a curry roux first if you can find it. A personal favorite of mine when I was first discovering curry is S&B Golden which I used to find in my grocer's for a little while until they decided to stop carrying it. Guess I was the only one who ate it...but it's a great introduction to curry just to see how it looks and experience its taste...and it has instructions on the box as well so it's really easy to make.

After that, what I've done is make a panaang-style curry, which is a combination of a red curry paste and a can of coconut milk, which again should be carried in the Asian food section of your local grocer. I tend to like my curry a little more on the hot side, so I use about half of a small jar of paste to half a can of coconut milk, but you can adjust the amount of paste and milk as you see fit based on how much curry sauce you want and how much heat you like. My measurements yielded the amount of curry you saw in my posted picture above--enough for about a pound and a half of stew meat and vegetables. I also am very likely not following the purest tradition of panaang curry creation, as I read that it also involves some other ingredients like kaffir lime leaves, but I personally found that this curry creation tastes pretty good without the other stuff. Though if you can add in spices like turmeric and paprika, that would definitely develop the flavors a lot more.

First, you put a bit of oil in a saucepan and toast whatever seasonings you plan to use for a bit until they become fragrant. Then, just put your coconut milk in and get it to a simmer, add your curry paste and keep whisking it over medium-low heat. I suggest taking little tastes as you go along to see where it is flavor-wise. If you need it a little thinner, add a bit more of the coconut milk. More paste = more spicy curry flavor. You can also sprinkle in some curry powder as well to kick it up, or whatever other seasonings you started with.

If you like thicker curry like me, you can also sprinkle a bit of all-purpose flour or a slurry (corn starch and water mixture) in to the sauce. Just keep that whisk moving constantly so you get a nice, smooth, lump-free curry. Also, take it off the heat and whisk it a bit longer to see how it sits after it comes off the flame--you might see that it sorta thickens up on its own when its not being simmered.

After that you just pour it in with your stewed beef or your cooked chicken and vegetable mix, simmer it for a few minutes to let everyone drink up the flavor, and enjoy. It's best served alongside or on top of some plain rice, in my opinion--I don't really like jasmine rice since all the rice is doing is providing a vehicle for curry to enter my face.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Avira - 11-17-2015

How you people do to eat Curry... I tried it once and I had my mouth on fire for a whole week...

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Caspar - 11-17-2015

(11-17-2015, 03:08 AM)Avira Wrote: How you people do to eat Curry... I tried it once and I had my mouth on fire for a whole week...
It depends on the curry variety. Japanese curry tends to be very mild, so even someone who is sensitive to spiciness can eat it. Of course some varieties add more spice than others, but even those pale in comparison to mild Indian curries often enough. They are much more about being a comfortable blend of sweet and savory, I think.

Actually, a lot of food that is considered curry can be pretty vague, come to think of it.
I've heard that chicken makhani, which is popular in the UK, usually cooked in "masala" mixed spices curry, is a good example of that. There was a poll that surveyed a large number of restaurants, and the only common, consistent ingredient between all the restaurants was... chicken. ^_^'

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Avira - 11-17-2015

Hmmm... Well it admit the panned chicken looks delicious here in this thread. Especially the NYC one. But yeah having had my mouth in pain for a week after trying said cury once. I am not sure I'd be able to try it ever again.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - 13uddy - 11-17-2015

I haven't had any form of curry in YEARS.  I want some badly, but every time I mention it, the people around me say "Dude, you can't have spicy food, remember" and I facepalm since not all curry dishes are of the super spicy variety.  That is like saying all chicken is fried chicken, or all peppers are hot peppers.  It just isn't accurate.

Unfortunately, there are no restaurants with curry dishes in my area and nobody I know makes curry dishes.  And since I'm not allowed to cook (long story), I'm left without any options for the time being. The closest I can find is this awful prepackaged stuff that tastes like processed sludge, and that is not a suitable substitute even if it wasn't too spicy.  I wouldn't feed that stuff to my worst enemy.

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Caspar - 11-17-2015

(11-17-2015, 11:59 AM)13uddy Wrote: I haven't had any form of curry in YEARS.  I want some badly, but every time I mention it, the people around me say "Dude, you can't have spicy food, remember" and I facepalm since not all curry dishes are of the super spicy variety.  That is like saying all chicken is fried chicken, or all peppers are hot peppers.  It just isn't accurate.

Unfortunately, there are no restaurants with curry dishes in my area and nobody I know makes curry dishes.  And since I'm not allowed to cook (long story), I'm left without any options for the time being. The closest I can find is this awful prepackaged stuff that tastes like processed sludge, and that is not a suitable substitute even if it wasn't too spicy.  I wouldn't feed that stuff to my worst enemy.
Hey. Those instant curry packets aren't that bad...

RE: The Greatest Food is Curry! - Kage - 11-17-2015

I actually like the S&B Golden Packs that Steel mentioned over the House Curry brand.

I used to make a large batch and would mix med. hot + hot together.