Hydaelyn Role-Players
Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] (/showthread.php?tid=1480)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Eva - 11-18-2012

Taking another morsel of the food between her fingers, Eva blew steam from it cautiously before popping it into her mouth. She left the pan beside the fire for anyone to take more meat if they wanted and leaned to her other side to tend to the kettle, removing from her satchel four tin cups that were stacked tidily inside one another.

She didn't really look up from pouring as Aysun spoke of being the odd one out, but her response came quickly, "I'm not sure how you figure. It would seem I'm the only one here without a tail~" She smiled, offering the first of the cups to her.

She continued softly, looking between Manari and E'iri, "I wasn't really expecting company so I don't have any honey or sugar or cream, but... tea?" She held the kettle up and raised an eyebrow to help punctuate her question.

She opened her mouth, about to answer E'iri's question about what it's like beyond the Twelveswood, but figured it was directed to Aysun anyway. She herself had lived in the woods from the time she was just a schoolgirl and had never actually seen an ocean until after her 30th nameday. She looked to Aysun, curious what her answer would be, then began pouring a second cup of tea - for herself she figured, if neither of the others wanted any.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Aysun - 11-18-2012

Aysun smirked at Eva, amused by her comment, her own tail flicking as she looked to the other two Miqo'te. "True enough~" Her mood had improved immensely. Light-hearted conversation was a great distraction from everything else. She helped herself to a bit of meat from the pan and nodded to Eva's offer of tea.

She then spoke to E'iri, "I'm from the sea. Born 'n raised." Her accent was certainly not as pronounced (or terrible) as most sailors, but it was certainly there, Lominsan. She paused, her smirk returning, "It's wet, and big, and blue." Deliberately vague, she was obviously teasing the meek male.

"'s all it is, though, really. Thanalan's much better, warmer and dryer.. usually." She nodded, chewing a piece of meat, appearing content. It wasn't the salmon she came for, but it was pretty damn good. She didn't remember the last time she'd had dodo prepared.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - E'irawen - 11-20-2012

He'd scoot eeever so slowly towards Aysun, ears wiggling, as if he were trying to be absolutely covert about it. Like no one would notice. Before she knew it, he was all up in her personal bubble, eyes wiiiide with curiosity and anticipation. Surely there was more to her stories of these far away lands?

"And then?" he questioned, leaaaaning in a bit more, tail almost completely upright. "I read about monsters in the sea. Have you seen any?" Naturally there were creatures everywhere, but he alluded to myths he'd heard- likely through his mother or some form of reading material- of a specific giant serpent.

Closer and closer he'd lean in. "Are there monsters like that in the desert, too?"

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Manari - 11-20-2012

Manari sat mostly in silence as no one had really responded to anything she had said, nor was she one to butt into a conversation. She accepted a cup of tea from Eva, never one to turn it down when made by her, and sipped it as she watched E'iri move closer to Aysun. After a few moments the smell of the meat had proved too tempting and she decided to partake of a bit of it, taking a small chunk of the delicious smelling meat and biting at it a little piece at a time. Her ears perked up as she tasted it, and she made a small sound of approval.

She watched E'iri and Aysun again, wondering if Aysun would mind him getting that close to her. He didn't seem that much younger than herself, yet he appeared to have never been out of the Twelveswood. She smiled softly at him as she realized she would still be the exact same as him if things had stayed the same in her own life.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Aysun - 11-21-2012

Aysun took a sip of tea from her cup, closing her eyes momentarily. She startled just slightly when suddenly the 'And then?' from E'iri was far closer than she had expected. Mismatched gaze flicked to E'iri as he leaned in and questioned her, hiding behind her teacup a little.

"Well-" she started, for some reason glancing to Eva and then to Manari, before peering back at E'iri. Too close. Huh. His eyes were like hers, a bit. Too bad they were IN HER FACE. She tried talking again.

"Well- there are serpents.. but we didn't go that far out to sea often. And.. aye, the desert's got some nasty things. So 's the Shroud if I ain't mistaken." Casually, she looked again to the other two women.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Eva - 11-21-2012

Sensing Aysun's discomfort, the fair-skinned elezen quickly chimed in, "Really anywhere you go there's a plethora of nasty beasts that will send you to an early grave if you're not careful." She sipped her tea nonchalantly, nodding slightly as though agreeing with herself. "I've only recently left the Twelveswood myself after spending most of my life here, maybe a couple years hence. I've read about oceans and seen the maps in my geography books but to actually sit on the shore and look out where there is water as far as the eye can see..." She paused again to have another cautious sip of her tea, "...well, there's some things words on parchment simply can't convey."

Turning her attentions away from Aysun and E'iri she glanced over at Manari with a warm smile and motioned to her midsection, "I'm sorry to change the subject so abruptly, but... how's everything going with the wee one within? Seems it's been awhile since our paths have crossed~"

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Manari - 11-22-2012

Manari's expression dropped a bit as they all talked of nasty beasts. She had to quickly push the returning thoughts of the glowing red eyes and bright burning scales from her mind before it started to effect her mood. Had E'iri not been completely focused solely on Aysun, she could have added a few words of her own about the horrors in the wild that she herself had come across, but she thought she should reserve them for when they might be more likely heard. She sat a moment and had almost finished the tea as she heard Eva speak. She had seen the ocean herself only recently too, and it was quite a sight to behold indeed. She nodded in agreement silently as Eva turned her attention to her, and her ears suddenly perked up as she was addressed directly.

She smiled to Eva warmly and placed a hand over her belly. Her loose fitting clothing easily hid the small bump she had only recently developed. "Oh! Well, I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign, but the other sun all I wanted to eat was cottage cheese... " She winces and wraps both arms around her belly now. "...so much cottage cheese... ugh..."

She smiles shyly and blushes a bit. "Um... b-but, everything seems to be just fine."

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - E'irawen - 11-22-2012

He took in what information and tale he was given, his own ears perking up as Manari was questioned by Eva. He hadn't much to say regarding little ones and the like. He hadn't much to say on it, though, to be honest. He had seen his share of nature births, what with all the critters running around. However, he just didn't quite know how to act, appropriately, in the situation.

After a few moments, he was out of Aysun's grill, but now sitting (seemingly) comfortably next to her. He'd thought to reply about monsters in the Shroud, but thought against it, tucking his hands together between his thighs and kind of...wiggled. Nothing special, just making himself comfortable in his seat! Even a little chirp-like purr managed to escape him, apparently pretty gleeful about said comfort.

He waited, too, polite (and a bit shyly), until there was a good opening to speak again, unrelated to pregnancy. "Where are you all headed to?"

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Aysun - 11-23-2012

Aysun seemed quite relieved when Eva responded to her subconscious begging for assistance. She nodded slightly to her words in agreement.

She folded her hands in her lap quietly as the subject changed. Babies were to be the subject, and she did not chime in as the two spoke. Instead she sent little glances at E'iri as he moved and made that odd noise. She offered an attempt at a smile to him as he settled. Seemed he was going to sit there now. She didn't protest further, the distance was acceptable now.. well, compared to before.

"I'm probably goin' to stay around here this evening. 's too late for me to be heading back to anywhere else. It'll be dark soon," she said as she glanced up at the canopy. It was already darker than normal due to that. She wasn't about to try to find her way back to Gridania or Thanalan at night if she didn't have to.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Eva - 12-03-2012

"Well, I have no real agenda for this evening, but I figured I'd curl up next to the fireplace at home with a good book when I got home later." The blonde duskwight woman stroked her chin thoughtfully. "But I'm in no hurry. And this culinary experiment seems to have been something of a success, what with the Twelveswood not having burned to the ground or anything. I think next time I may try safely cooking this on my stove, but it wasn't worth the risk tonight. And besides, unexpected company is a welcome surprise." She grinned sheepishly, smiling at the others around the campfire.

"Ah, and to answer your earlier question Manari, I'm doing all right I suppose." Her sheepish grin transitioned into a more natural friendly smile as she bobbed her head slightly as she continued, "It's good to meander outside of Gridania's walls once in awhile, and breathe the forest air. Though I do miss the rain..." Bowing her head, a somber look crossed her face as she struggled to remember the last time she felt the patter of raindrops on her face when she cast her gaze heavenward. It had been awhile. Always overcast skies, but never rain at all lately since Dalamud grew ever nearer.

Those last words seemed to hang in the air as the woman's eyes appeared to stare through the fire, her mind momentarily somewhere else, probably a million malms away.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Manari - 12-03-2012

Manari smiled warmly to the male as she thought about her plans for a moment while the others answered. She looked up at the canopy of leaves as she finally had a chance to respond. "I was planning on returning to the house in Gridania tonight... but honestly, another night or two under the trees sounds really nice too. " She looked around the camp site again, the warm aroma of the meal they were sharing still in the air. She began to think for a moment about perhaps offering to walk with Aysun back to Gridania, when Eva addressed her again, and she turned all her attention to her to listen, a warm smile on her face.

She nodded in agreement with her and briefly looked back up at the trees. "Oh, yes. I couldn't go on living if I couldn't take the time to be out here on a regular basis. I need the Twelvesood. " She picked up just slightly on the tone of Eva's final comment, looking down to see her expression. She wasn't sure it was anything or not, and in a group like this, especially with a brand new face, was not the best time to inquire.

She waited a moment and turned to E'iri, smiling gently, and fidgeting with the long strands of hair that framed her face. "What about yourself, Eiri?"

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Vareal - 12-04-2012

Show Content

Isaac stood shrouded in the shadow of a tree, watching the steadily growing company around the camp fire at Bentbranch. The smell of the food slowly wafted around him, steeling up his nostrils. Even from this distance, he could smell the food almost as well as if he were next to the fire. He stole a quick glance to the sack full of fish at his side. He had wanted to push on to Gridania, but with the growing darkness and the thread of rain, not to mention the heightened dangers surrounding the forrest due to Dalamud, he decided not to risk it. He would see if they would share their fire, if only to cook his own food then leave them to their devices.

He turned at feeling cold finger tips upon his bare, right arm. He looked into the hood of his companion, a pair of ghostly white eyes stared back up at him through the shadows. She whispered something urgently, shaking her head. Isaac reassured her, then stepped out from the shadows and made his way towards the camp. A frustrated sigh came from the shelter of the shadow he had left, and the woman darted out after him. Though Isaac was physically fit and athletic, he was not of stocky build, however, if was clear that his form clearly over-powered the small woman behind him standing nearly two heads taller than she.

When they reached the group around the fire, Isaac placed his left hand on his hip, his arm covered in a loose fitting, black cloth sleeve, and smiled warmly, nodding to each in turn. The fire gleamed off his black hair and made his green eyes glow warmly. By his ears, is was clear he was Miqo'te, but his tail was strangely absent. "Good evening ladies, sir." The woman behind him clung to his bare arm, keeping her head low.

Show Content

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Aysun - 12-07-2012

Aysun listened as the others spoke their plans for the evening, picking at the hem of her tabard. She grimaced a little at Eva's mention of missing the rain. She certainly did not miss it, however she was well aware of how abnormal the lack of rain was. It made her uncomfortable, she felt something was very wrong.

What she really missed more than anything was the sun, however. It would get light in the daytime, but there was simply no warmth.

She reached to take another bit of dodo at Eva's words, eating and looking up at the darkening sky with a sigh.. before abruptly looking to the new comer in the clearing. Her immediate response was a frown, despite his warm greeting. This was pretty much her reaction to anyone unfamiliar. She swallowed the bite of dodo, noticing the scent of fish this one brought with him. She did not return his greeting.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Eva - 12-07-2012

Spoiler: show
Sorry for the late reply. It's been kind of hectic with the holiday season and all. I also went ahead and mod-nuked the two OOC posts above so as to keep the flow of things on track and IC.

Eva remained lost in her own thoughts as Manari droned on about the woods, reflections of flames dancing in her violet eyes as she stared off into them.

Even the rustle of the footsteps of the approaching pair of newcomers she'd heard whispering in the shadows earlier didn't break her from her reverie. It wasn't until the raven-haired miqo'te fellow spoke that she blinked a few times and looked up at him, then to the odd woman clinging to his arm like a frightened child.

She caught a glimpse of Aysun in her peripheral vision eating some of the dodo and frowning at the new arrivals. She caught herself staring at the woman attached to the fellow's arm and finally broke eye contact to meet his gaze a moment before speaking up, hoping her voice sounded more friendly than awkward, "Oh, hello there." With her words, she held up her tin teacup and gestured with her other hand to the pot, hoping afterwards that it would be construed as a welcoming gesture, but she wasn't sure what to make of either of the newcomers and found herself glancing at E'iri and the others after greeting them.

Re: Curiosity and the Cat [Open; Non-Canon] - Manari - 12-07-2012

Manari looked at Eva for a few ticks after speaking, and realized her attempts at friendly conversation seemed unwanted at this time. She sat back a bit and glanced around the camp for a moment. A small frown formed on her face as she looked down and stared at the tea cup in her hands.

She was starting to wonder if she should quietly excuse herself when she heard the rustle of leaves and turned to see the two strangers step out of the trees. She gave each one a small glance and a friendly nod, but didn't say anything this time. She raised the tea cup to her lips to take a sip as Eva greeted them.