Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) (/showthread.php?tid=16403)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Aldotsk - 06-13-2016

When one person does something terrible, people tend to seek for someone to blame. Which is wrong. 

People should be asking "Why can't we be sad and sympathize for each other?" than "Which group of people should we blame?"

I saw a text message of the victim who sent to his mother right before he died that he loved her and that he was about to be killed. It really did hit me right to the feels. Kind of reminded me of the story back in Sewol Ferry incident when a kid sent his mom last text message before he died too.

I'll probably donate blood, but I'd have to find a closest hospital that's offering this weekend. Won't be able to donate due to work =/

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Oscarlet Oirellain - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 11:38 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: I saw a text message of the victim who sent to his mother right before he died that he loved her and that he was about to be killed. It really did hit me right to the feels.
Reading those texts was the most heart breaking thing of all.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Edgar - 06-13-2016

I have asthma, so I'm not sure if my blood is viable for donation. That said, it's gonna take a lot more than donating blood to fix this.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Sylastair - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 12:14 PM)Edgar Wrote: I have asthma, so I'm not sure if my blood is viable for donation. That said, it's gonna take a lot more than donating blood to fix this.
As long as your asthma isn't bothering you at the time, you can donate blood. Most asthma medicines I know of don't disqualify you to give blood.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Scaith - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 11:26 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Yeah, I wish everyone would just shut the fuck up and be sad for a while.
Oh, I'm sure this won't sit lightly with congress, and I have to agree with Aldotsk since I live in Seattle, one of the most pro-equality in gay marriage and tourist vacation spots. gods, pride is just in about a week, if that'd happened here, I don't know what congress would do. I do agree that stricter gun control is in order, but it's difficult with being a nation that was born of war and bloodshed to put down their guns and agree with peaceful co-existance. That doesn't even play into religion though, which has so many closed minded people locked in their viewpoints and willing to act on them out of fear.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-13-2016

I think in this specific case, political polarization is a bigger issue than gun control.

The guy (from what I read) was a security contractor, and would likely still have his guns with anything other than an outright ban. 

However if he had been told that gay people aren't full of sin... who knows? There are lots of people who quietly or openly refer to us as perverts or degenerates, or no better than pedophiles. Some people hear that, and take action.

All I can ask is that you do more than simply not spread bigotry. If you hear someone say it, challenge them. Refuse to associate with them. Don't allow words of hate to be spoken without fighting back. As long as the silent majority stays silent, the culture won't change.

(06-13-2016, 12:20 PM)Flynt Knoltros Wrote:
(06-13-2016, 12:14 PM)Edgar Wrote: I have asthma, so I'm not sure if my blood is viable for donation. That said, it's gonna take a lot more than donating blood to fix this.
As long as your asthma isn't bothering you at the time, you can donate blood. Most asthma medicines I know of don't disqualify you to give blood.
agreed, as far as I know, this won't stop you from donating as long as you don't have an episode right in the middle of donating and albuterol shouldn't do anything to your blood

(06-13-2016, 12:32 PM)McBeef© Wrote: I think in this specific case, political polarization is a bigger issue than gun control.

The guy (from what I read) was a security contractor, and would likely still have his guns with anything other than an outright ban. 

However if he had been told that gay people aren't full of sin... who knows? There are lots of people who quietly or openly refer to us as perverts or degenerates, or no better than pedophiles. Some people hear that, and take action.

All I can ask is that you do more than simply not spread bigotry. If you hear someone say it, challenge them. Refuse to associate with them. Don't allow words of hate to be spoken without fighting back. As long as the silent majority stays silent, the culture won't change.
:: applauds and nods :: Amen to that, it's our job as supporters of equality to expand everyone's mind on the subject and not ridicule them for their opinion, because that only will shut them down. It's in showing support and acceptance to new ideas that causes positive change for the country and world.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Sylentmana - 06-13-2016

Looks like another day in the good 'ol US of A. I'm rather sickened by the fact that our two prospective future leaders couldn't wait to dance on the graves of the victims in order to advance their own political agendas.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Kage - 06-13-2016

Whenever I read about the victims, it hurts. I couldn't stop the tears when I read about Luis Velma. I couldn't stop when I read about Kimberly "KJ" Morris, who had only recently moved to Orlando in the last three months to help her mother and her grandmother and worked as a bouncer in the Pulse club that was a special place for the QUILTBAG community in the area. It took me a while to stop when I read the text exchanges from Eddie Justice to his mother as he hid terrified in a restroom of one of the few spaces he should be safe in.

It terrifies me that one of my worst fears is that any one of the 50 people who died or any one of those injured could be outed by this horrific event in what was should have been their one safe place, their one place of acceptance. The possibility that any of those injured may have been outed from their safe space into what can be a hostile environment... I hope they are able to stay safe through this.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Edgar - 06-13-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgS5xljTSNo

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - Parvacake - 06-14-2016

Finally, to end this thread on a slightly more lighthearted note...

[Image: HHBMVBw.jpg]

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - LiadansWhisper - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 12:20 AM)Lililove Wrote: Finally, to end this thread on a slightly more lighthearted note...

[Image: HHBMVBw.jpg]

So the guy who carried out the attack was a licensed, bonded security guard. He had regular access to a large number of weapons that he would still have access to even if other weapons were generally banned. He had no criminal history (being investigated is not the same as being charged or convicted of anything).

Also, you can take a simple handgun and modify it to be fully automatic with a huge clip. There are tutorials on the internet.

Gun control won't solve Islamism and homophobia.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - V'aleera - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 12:45 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: He had no criminal history (being investigated is not the same as being charged or convicted of anything).

Semi-automatic weapons and sidearms serve no purpose beyond the efficient infliction of mass casualties in a combat zone. There is no reason for them to exist in any capacity in the private sphere.

Also, if the government can restrict your freedom to travel because they don't like how your name sounds, they should restrict your freedom to buy murder toys because you openly claim ties to Al Qaeda.

RE: Pulse Mass Shooting (USA) - LiadansWhisper - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 12:58 AM)Valeera Wrote: Semi-automatic weapons and sidearms serve no purpose beyond the efficient infliction of mass casualties in a combat zone. There is no reason for them to exist in any capacity in the private sphere.

Also, if the government can restrict your freedom to travel because they don't like how your name sounds, they should restrict your freedom to buy murder toys because you openly claim ties to Al Qaeda.

Part of the reason why this man was able to purchase the firearms is that we don't have a transparent process for being placed on or removed from the No-Fly/Terror Watch list. He was allegedly on the list, and had we had a transparent process for being placed on it, and removed from it, we could have restricted his access to firearms. As it stands, you cannot remove a constitutional right without due process, and the No-Fly list has no due process. The FBI has actually been caught placing people on the list in the past to prevent them from being able to travel to a hearing where they were to serve as witnesses for someone else on said list. Until we fix the issues with the No-Fly list, it's not a good way to determine who should and should not have access to firearms.

Good luck getting anything passed through Congress, though. They're too busy pissing at each other for political brownie points to get anything done.

I will tell you this much - I live in a city where pretty much everyone has a gun. We have a huge number of guns here. We had one - just one - gun incident here in the last year, and it was someone not from the area who lost her shit and shot the driver of the car she was in on the interstate (I've never been able to find out if they got a rational explanation for her actions, but she killed both her son (the driver) and a passenger in the front seat). That's it. Yet, everyone has guns.

P.S. V'al, you might want to look up the definition of "Islamism" before talking shit. It specifically refers to terrorists and other radicals who do things in the name of Islam. It does not refer to Islam as a whole - that would be "Islamic." Something can be "Islamism" without being "Islamic." They're worshiping an idea instead of following the actual tenets.

Edit #2: This is also similar to people committing terrorist acts in the name of Christianity, when such acts are explicitly against the tenets of Christianity. We just don't have a name for them in English (yet) beyond, "Y'all ain't Christians."