Hydaelyn Role-Players
Canon RPers and You - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Canon RPers and You (/showthread.php?tid=17265)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Canon RPers and You - Kellach Woods - 09-16-2016

if someone can pull off Ultros i'll accept it.
using Wind-Up Ultros as a proxy doesn't count.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Warren Castille - 09-16-2016

I'm not a fan of the practice but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just not for me. I'll also toss in that showing up to events as an NPC is borderline disrespectful to the event, depending on who and what it is: That kind of appearance has the potential to derail and undermine an existing concept, but I will concede that I've got my biases on that particular point. A lot of hard work goes into planning and staging server events, and showing up as Someone Famous can remove focus from that.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Jana - 09-16-2016

I don't feel very strongly about it, but I avoid them as a matter of course. It wouldn't do for me to drag Y'shtola/Aymeric/etc into Jana's personal story (especially given how antagonistic she can be).

RE: Canon RPers and You - Enla - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 04:48 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm not a fan of the practice but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just not for me. I'll also toss in that showing up to events as an NPC is borderline disrespectful to the event, depending on who and what it is: That kind of appearance has the potential to derail and undermine an existing concept, but I will concede that I've got my biases on that particular point. A lot of hard work goes into planning and staging server events, and showing up as Someone Famous can remove focus from that.

This is my thought as well. I don't mind if other people do it and I certainly don't mind them interacting with others, but I really do think it's somewhat disrespectful for canon RP players to appear at server events. Especially since there's a million Haurchefaunt and Aymeric RPers for example already. (No offense to those RPers, those are just the two most popular ones I've seen). It gets too confusing dealing with them at that point, especially since one might appear at one event but another might go to a completely different event at the same time. Without continuity it's just one big sludge fest to deal with.
(This is not insulting those RPers as they're allowed to RP what they want. But my experiences, like Warren, have jaded me to the point that I'll ignore them if I see them at an event for the sake of my own RP continuity. However that's just me and my preferences are not reflective of others, nor would I try to impose them.)

RE: Canon RPers and You - Cecily Jisi - 09-16-2016

Yeah, definitely gotta say no on that. It's like when people RP on Facebook as Youtubers. It just feels weird.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Virella - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 05:37 PM)Cecily Jisi Wrote: Yeah, definitely gotta say no on that. It's like when people RP on Facebook as Youtubers. It just feels weird.

People do that o_O?

RE: Canon RPers and You - Aysun - 09-16-2016

I avoid them. To each their own, but I don't want to interact with them.

My view is: I understand when RPers are just getting their feet wet it's common to RP an established character, but NPCs are not yours to play in the open world. Those are SE's characters. I'd prefer people who do it to keep their RP in their established circles (aka their own separate continuity) or just write fanfiction. Tongue

Again, just opinion.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Kellach Woods - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 06:07 PM)Virella Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 05:37 PM)Cecily Jisi Wrote: Yeah, definitely gotta say no on that. It's like when people RP on Facebook as Youtubers. It just feels weird.

People do that o_O?

Hoo boy.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Arrelaine - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 06:16 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

People do that o_O?

Hoo boy.

Also, nope. To each their own, but NPCs are supposed to be 'non-playable'. Most of the FFXIV NPCs have some sort of authority, or what you would consider above and beyond the average character's abilities.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Enla - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 06:16 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

People do that o_O?

Hoo boy.

Real People Fiction is a thing, a very terrifying thing. I've stumbled upon a few Jacksepticeye x Pewdiepie fanfictions. x_x

RE: Canon RPers and You - Pascaleret - 09-16-2016

Every time I see an NPC roleplayer out in the wild, I wonder how they would feel if someone made a carbon copy of their OC. Would they be fine with it, would they agree with the "it's cool, it's just for fun, if you don't like it then you don't have to RP with it" logic? Considering how many people I've seen up in arms over characters just having similar generic traits, I dunno. I don't get it.

RE: Canon RPers and You - LiadansWhisper - 09-16-2016

It's not really something I'm comfortable with. I mean, I don't think it would be right to make a scene, or yell at them publicly or whatever. I doubt any of them are trying to be jerks, so I would think that would be wrong. But, I would try to avoid interactions in most cases.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Shoshopu - 09-16-2016

To all the people saying "Well, they're not their characters? How would they feel if someone they didn't know was RPing as their OC?"... Just because I'm curious, how do you feel about fanfiction, by comparison? In both RP as a canon character and fanfiction you're usually writing about characters that aren't yours. If fanfiction is okay, why is RP not?

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other really (I wouldn't seek it out but I'm not vehemently against it either as long as they're OOCly considerate and reasonable; if one engaged me I would either play along for fun's sake and just, you know, not count it as canon for my character afterwards, because that's within my power to do; or just politely tell them I'm not interested and be on my way, depending on my mood), I'm just wondering where and why the line is drawn for some people.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Caspar - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 08:47 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: To all the people saying "Well, they're not their characters? How would they feel if someone they didn't know was RPing as their OC?"... Just because I'm curious, how do you feel about fanfiction, by comparison? In both RP as a canon character and fanfiction you're usually writing about characters that aren't yours. If fanfiction is okay, why is RP not?

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other really (I wouldn't seek it out but I'm not vehemently against it either as long as they're OOCly considerate and reasonable; if one engaged me I would either play along for fun's sake and just, you know, not count it as canon for my character afterwards, because that's within my power to do; or just politely tell them I'm not interested and be on my way, depending on my mood), I'm just wondering where and why the line is drawn for some people.
I think there's a fair number who would be frankly flattered, if not for the element of being in the same place at the same time. Like if I wrote a fic with OCs, if there were any writers whatsoever that considered that acceptable, for someone to want to write a story involving my character would make me feel honored. Though, more so if I like the depiction and it's not like an intentional lampoon.. Well honestly even that is fine with me if it's funny. Overall it's not really a comparison that holds up in my opinion because a canon character has primary source available to all players where OC is inherently a more intimate work due to being a seniprivate effort. I sort of feel it's like comparing an essay to a personal letter.

I've never been bothered by "common uniqueness" so I'm pretty indifferent to two characters being similar, myself, though intentionally jacking a person's work is in poor taste. I think the difference in scale is a big part of why canon and OC don't really feel comparable to me.

RE: Canon RPers and You - Warren Castille - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 08:47 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: If fanfiction is okay, why is RP not?

One is solicited, the other is not. You don't have to open up "Thancred at the Quicksand, Part XII" if you see it listed, but if you're RPing and he just shows up, you're forced to respond to it.