Hydaelyn Role-Players
Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP (/showthread.php?tid=18578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Nako Vesh - 02-20-2017

(02-19-2017, 12:53 AM)Edda Wrote: Not only that the city itself wasn't the best for random RP in general. A bar with no chairs? What? There's like a nice fire and a gazebo and some benches, but that's it and they're all outside in the stark cold anyway. Who wants to hang out there? A lot of neat potential RP areas in Heavensward have been instanced too. Not cool! And outside the city, the few settlements suffer from the same issues, especially when compared to places like Aleport, Wineport, Horizon, Fallgourd Float, etc etc. I think if the new areas in Stormblood do better at this more people might feel compelled to go out and use such areas. Hopefully, anyway.

This is a good point. I hate to bring up that game, but Stormwind, for example, has plenty of chairs, benches, parks, alleys, nooks, and empty buildings so it really lends itself to RP. Ishgard was so closed off, and while that makes sense lore-wise, it was boring.

I wonder if anyone has brought this up at a Fanfest. I certainly hope it's something they considered when building the new cities and settlements.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Ritsu - 02-20-2017

I am excited for it on my Chidori character. I hope they give us kimonos. And I still hoping they add an Ishgardian dress. The other city states have gold saucer outfits...it definitely should have one. XD

The traveling, still not sure how I plan on handling that. It also depends on if one of her sisters get an apartment/house there. I know one of the players is really interested in it. She might just split her time between being at the lodge and there. I am not the biggest fan of poofing around the world...but hey magic.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Kallera - 02-21-2017

I'm mostly concerned about one thing in rp:

The Garlean question. On one end, things seem to be ramping up to war, and a lot of terrible shit can be excused for war and the plight of forefathers. I'm not sure what I'll think of it. On one hand I get the desire to be left alone, one the other, the atrocities and bloodshed make me hesistant on seeing what Eorzea's newfound aggression will turn us into towards them and perhaps towards each other.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - LiadansWhisper - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 08:41 AM)Kallera Wrote: I'm mostly concerned about one thing in rp:

The Garlean question. On one end, things seem to be ramping up to war, and a lot of terrible shit can be excused for war and the plight of forefathers. I'm not sure what I'll think of it. On one hand I get the desire to be left alone, one the other, the atrocities and bloodshed make me hesistant on seeing what Eorzea's newfound aggression will turn us into towards them and perhaps towards each other.

Eorzea's newfound aggression?

o_O

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Yssen - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 08:41 AM)Kallera Wrote: I'm mostly concerned about one thing in rp:

The Garlean question.  On one end, things seem to be ramping up to war, and a lot of terrible shit can be excused for war and the plight of forefathers.  I'm not sure what I'll think of it. On one hand I get the desire to be left alone, one the other, the atrocities and bloodshed make me hesistant on seeing what Eorzea's newfound aggression will turn us into towards them and perhaps towards each other.

I would not so much consider it aggression. More like, some idiots went and kicked the Empire in the teeth, and now the rest of us will probably have to suffer for their misguided sense of patriotism.

"THE EMPIRE WITH A MILITARY FORCE OF MAGITEK  AND ROBOTS HAS MORE MAGITEK AND ROBOTS! HOW COULD WE HAVE FORESEEN THIS!?!?!!?"

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Gegenji - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 12:46 PM)Yssen Wrote:

The Garlean question.  On one end, things seem to be ramping up to war, and a lot of terrible shit can be excused for war and the plight of forefathers.  I'm not sure what I'll think of it. On one hand I get the desire to be left alone, one the other, the atrocities and bloodshed make me hesistant on seeing what Eorzea's newfound aggression will turn us into towards them and perhaps towards each other.

I would not so much consider it aggression. More like, some idiots went and kicked the Empire in the teeth, and now the rest of us will probably have to suffer for their misguided sense of patriotism.

"THE EMPIRE WITH A MILITARY FORCE OF MAGITEK  AND ROBOTS HAS MORE MAGITEK AND ROBOTS! HOW COULD WE HAVE FORESEEN THIS!?!?!!?"

It's pretty silly, yeah, since I think that very reasoning is WHY Eorzea's kind of walking on eggshells around the Garlean Empire thus far. They know that they could barely hold off one Legion, let alone however many others the Empire has either sitting around or on patrol elsewhere. Garlemald is a problem, but it's not really something the Alliance can deal with as it is - even with Ishgard on its side again. So random acts of patriotism that rile up the sleeping beast are very much not a good idea.

So, I suppose it makes sense that we're going to be trying and reclaim Ala Mhigo and Doma. After all, should the inevitable happen thanks to these antics (and we more or less know a confrontation of some sort is happening 5.0, whether this is the spark that starts the chain reaction or not), the Alliance is going to want to have more manpower and superior attack vectors to assault the Empire with. Maybe even get some early gains by chipping away at the remaining Legions piecemeal so that if/when they're called to action, they're already weakened or maybe even wiped out.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Yssen - 02-21-2017

I think we are a bit worse off than that. I think we are being set up for a loss when 4.0 is all said and done (though perhaps not right away). The Eorzean Alliance, by their own admission, was barely able to fend off the remnants of a single Imperial Legion and still cannot reclaim the territory occupied since the Calamity. With the losses and damage from a 1000 year war, Ishgard is not exactly in any place to help now that it is in the Alliance. The Imperial War Machine (and some of their war machines) is a juggernaut. They were, as stated, as sleeping giant that the Alliance has only been able to hold back because the Empire was not really interested in pushing farther into Eorzea, and they have at least 13 legions left to deal with us. Whee.

It is all fun stuff to adapt to for RP on both the personal and grand level.

What price are you willing to pay to see your homeland liberated? What price are you willing to inflict on others who have no stake in the fight? What price are you willing to accept to help?

When faced with the impending conflict what do you do? Stand? Run? Collaborate and scheme to save your hide and the hides of others? What/who will you protect? What lines will you cross to do it?

Even on the larger scope level there is neat junk. 

Limsa is actively training Warriors and Scholars for use in a war effort. 

Ul'dah could start conscripting Free Paladins into service. 

Will the Elementals even allow Gridania to remain in a conflict that most certainly threatens the balance of the Black Shroud? What concessions will Gridania have to make?

Ishgard has 10 Dragoons left, do we really think they are not going to train and field more of their elite fighting force when conflict with the Empire looms? 

What is the general populace of Eorzea going to do? When things look bad, who are they going to blame? 

Bringing it back around to the personal, given the nature of how this is all starting, who are you going to blame?

Fun stuff all around, and that is just a tip of the iceberg.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - V'aleera - 02-21-2017

Victory over Garlemald is probably going to come from hacking away at the weak foundations of their society, rather than from smashing armies together. Garlemald's biggest weakness is their own over-expansion and their reliance on regional conscripts, as well as their flimsy government which A) is still relatively young and B) already faced a major coup/civil war.

Convince enough Garlean officials/politicians that imperial hasn't worked out too well and win a few impressive battles to convince the conscripts they don't need to fear their overlords anymore and the whole thing collapses in on itself.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Sylentmana - 02-22-2017

I have to wonder what daily life for people under Garlean occupation is like for the average person? Is it really so bad? After all, the advanced level of technology the Garleans have could make many people's lives easier and more comfortable. What about Garlean occupation is so terrible for the average person?

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Gegenji - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 10:23 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: I have to wonder what daily life for people under Garlean occupation is like for the average person? Is it really so bad? After all, the advanced level of technology the Garleans have could make many people's lives easier and more comfortable. What about Garlean occupation is so terrible for the average person?

From my understanding, it really isn't that bad. Your nation is more or less allowed to self-govern itself (likely due to how spread out the Empire is), and you likely benefit from the advances in magiteknology. You just have to (publicly, at least) denounce the "false" deities and cut off interaction with the beast tribes, and possibly pay some manner of tribute to the Garlean Empire.

We'll probably find out more about what life under Garlean yoke is like in Stormblood, since we're traveling to locales specifically under their rule. And if/when we move to Garlemald itself in 5.0 or whenever... we'll likely see what life for a normal Garlean citizen might be like.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Sylentmana - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 10:36 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-22-2017, 10:23 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: I have to wonder what daily life for people under Garlean occupation is like for the average person? Is it really so bad? After all, the advanced level of technology the Garleans have could make many people's lives easier and more comfortable. What about Garlean occupation is so terrible for the average person?

From my understanding, it really isn't that bad. Your nation is more or less allowed to self-govern itself (likely due to how spread out the Empire is), and you likely benefit from the advances in magiteknology. You just have to (publicly, at least) denounce the "false" deities and cut off interaction with the beast tribes, and possibly pay some manner of tribute to the Garlean Empire.

We'll probably find out more about what life under Garlean yoke is like in Stormblood, since we're traveling to locales specifically under their rule. And if/when we move to Garlemald itself in 5.0 or whenever... we'll likely see what life for a normal Garlean citizen might be like.

It's gotta suck to some degree for SE to mark its capital with storm clouds, but as you say, we will likely find out eventually.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Kilieit - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 10:46 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: It's gotta suck to some degree for SE to mark its capital with storm clouds, but as you say, we will likely find out eventually.

Well, the maps are usually created to be in-universe objects, usually ones made by the Ironheart family (of sightseeing log and side dungeon unlock quest fame). Which means you can probably safely assume the map is written from an Eorzean perspective... and that's why stormclouds, haha.

It actually made me laugh a bit because it's so over the top - but of course an Eorzean would be that dramatic! I'd love it if we got to see Garlemald itself in a cinematic or something and it's just, like, covered in snow but otherwise a normal semi-modern city as we would recognise one. No evil stormclouds in sight. xD

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Askier - 02-22-2017

With the exception of getting to the Grindstone,I think most people are normally pretty good about rping realistically in relation with where their normal haunts are.  Though I am curious if Ul'dah shall remain the rp capitol or if it will change.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Aaron - 02-22-2017

Uldah will probably always be the capital cause its where the new people congregate and It's already unconsciously burned into most people's systems to hang their.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Valence - 02-22-2017

The treatment of conquered nations greatly varies depending on their meek or rebellious streak, and how much problems they caused before capitulating. It's a bit similar to their IRL inspiration model, the Roman Empire.

We know that a lot of the Ilsabard republics and nations bowed immediately to them while problematic city states like Doma or especially Ala-Migho are of no end of troubles and it's said that the new appointed legatus over Ala-Migho for Stormblood rules with an iron-grip. It's also hinted that most of the valid population is forced to slave their way through magitek factories or other menial labor.

All in all though, no matter your treatment, if you really want to become considered equal to a true garlean citizen, you have to go through 20 painful years of military service in their auxiliaries.

I'm expecting ( and hoping ) to learn a lot more about that in 4.0.