Hydaelyn Role-Players
New classes announced - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New classes announced (/showthread.php?tid=201)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: New classes announced - Aveline - 07-08-2010

I played bard all the way to end-game in FFXI, and while I loved it, I don't know if I would play it again in FFXIV.

I know for certain my character is going to go through a few 'professions,' starting with pugilist (because it fits her story), switching to a tank, and also a money-making class like weaver or culinarian. I would LOVE a job that uses pistols (not muskets or rifles, but pistols!), but we will see if that happens.

Re: New classes announced - Smiling River - 07-08-2010

Damn SE, they changed it from Botanist to Gatherer? Alright, seems like a very well-rounded Land class which is even better than I had expected. It fits with a weird hobby I randomly thought of for Mason, woodcutting, as well as botany. I am satisfied :p

Re: New classes announced - Saitou - 07-08-2010

Like few others has said does kinda make you wonder if there is truth to this list. If that's the case could throw a wrench into my character creation process, as was originally making my main a conjurer though if there's a chance that samurai does end up there.... may have to reconsider.

Re: New classes announced - Kashemia - 07-09-2010

If they release the flayer, Seraj is so becoming one! I don't care how many else is... Almost <.<
But yeah, it probably will be popular, since it's quite different.
But part of me doubts it will be out at launch.
I'll still have to look in to the "of the land" and "of the hand" ones.. For some reason, my characters are never really the crafter types... Maybe because I usually don't enjoy it very much in game :oops:

Re: New classes announced - Seraphine Felstar - 07-09-2010

My thoughts on this are that in FFXI there were only 5 starting classes. When you reached level 30 you could go unlock Advanced Jobs. I'm wondering if those are going to be the Advance Jobs in FFXIV. Most of the jobs they have right now seem like very basic jobs or jobs that would be excellent support for a more Advanced Class. Another thing that makes me think this could be the case is that fishing in FFXIV is now horrible if you're below level 20. This is an anti-RMT measure and I think it makes sense that they would carry that tactic over to FFXIV. Why solve a problem and then ditch what you learned? >.>

This is only conjecture, of course, but I do think it might have some merit.

BTW, if they do add Fencer I'm so reprising my old FFXI character as an alt. I made her a Red Mage because it was the closest thing, but I wanted Fencing to only be her hobby and not have combat be a huge part of her storyline.

Re: New classes announced - Eva - 07-09-2010

Crystal Wrote:My thoughts on this are that in FFXI there were only 5 starting classes.
Not to be that person, but there were 6:

Warrior, Monk, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage

Re: New classes announced - River - 07-09-2010

I think that thinking about jobs along an FFXI level is completely off the mark in this game. They seem to be working real hard to center jobs around a weapon or task rather than around a specific class. I'm not sure there will be "Advanced Jobs." It seems to me more likely that there will be abilities that allow you to train more techniques with your current job.

Then again, I could be wrong!

Re: New classes announced - Boots - 07-09-2010

Keir Wrote:I think that thinking about jobs along an FFXI level is completely off the mark in this game. They seem to be working real hard to center jobs around a weapon or task rather than around a specific class. I'm not sure there will be "Advanced Jobs." It seems to me more likely that there will be abilities that allow you to train more techniques with your current job.

I think Keir is making a very good point! I remember reading something about "Leveling" being absent from FFXIV. If this is so, the concept of job advancement/leveling like we saw in FFXI is completely inappropriate to compare FFXIV with: they are two very different job systems, they just look similar.

Can someone (perhaps in the Beta?) confirm if there is a concept similar to the leveling from 1-80 we saw in FFXI?

Re: New classes announced - Zhavi - 07-09-2010

I'm too busy drooling over the thought of fishing to contribute in any significant way to this conversation. Carry on.

Re: New classes announced - Hiname - 07-09-2010

I think I'd ninja this and ask something more-or-less-class-related.

Im a bit confused. The Disciples of War and the Hand seem to work.. fully equally. While I yet not fully understand how that turns out in combat, thats not fully the question here! *cough*

Pugilists, as the "class" my friend currently favors.. for a good old styled fist to face action... What kind of armor do they wear? I'd hate to make stuff she cant use.

Re: New classes announced - Aveline - 07-09-2010

Hiname Wrote:Pugilists, as the "class" my friend currently favors.. for a good old styled fist to face action... What kind of armor do they wear? I'd hate to make stuff she cant use.

They wear stuff like this!

[Image: MiqotePugilist.jpg]

Re: New classes announced - Hiname - 07-09-2010

Hnrrrrr.... Sexy. Well, at least the claws look like forged from good ol' metall.

Re: New classes announced - Akashi - 07-09-2010

Boots Wrote:
Keir Wrote:I think that thinking about jobs along an FFXI level is completely off the mark in this game. They seem to be working real hard to center jobs around a weapon or task rather than around a specific class. I'm not sure there will be "Advanced Jobs." It seems to me more likely that there will be abilities that allow you to train more techniques with your current job.

I think Keir is making a very good point! I remember reading something about "Leveling" being absent from FFXIV. If this is so, the concept of job advancement/leveling like we saw in FFXI is completely inappropriate to compare FFXIV with: they are two very different job systems, they just look similar.

Can someone (perhaps in the Beta?) confirm if there is a concept similar to the leveling from 1-80 we saw in FFXI?

Yes (I believe this has already been stated in interviews so the NDA is intact!) Right now you level your physical level, which is what you are used to, as well as your weapon level, which increases your effectiveness within your given class as well as gives you your abilities.

Re: New classes announced - ArmachiA - 07-09-2010

yup, on Alpha I got to level 4 or 5 (I only got to play twice) as a lancer, then changed over. It was a lot like the class changing system in XI, just no need for a moogle.

Beta starts tomorrow, you'll be seeing much info from many sources then

Re: New classes announced - Siben - 07-10-2010

ArmachiA Wrote:Beta starts tomorrow

*stands out in the cold while sad music plays*