Hydaelyn Role-Players
linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! (/showthread.php?tid=2910)

Pages: 1 2

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Darcey - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 01:25 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: Remember that you need to look at the linkshells to determine if they will be doing a Free Company. FC = Free Company. Linkshells are just as important though! A Free Company's house isn't just a house that can be decorated as you expand the building, you gain permanent buffs to your characters like 25% exp increase and other things like that.

Where do you see if they are going to be an FC? I don't see that listed on most of the pages.

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Elisea Renyven - 07-18-2013

Usually from what I seen, they will either use FC as an abbreviation or they will say Company in their text. But you are quite right. It can be confusing if you don't see it in a post or if its buried under a lot of information. Another confusing part is say by my name you have Linkshell:. We might need a Company one as well. Might be something they want to add to it. I think some folks prefer to do Linkshells because you can be in different groups but I think a Free Company overall is a place you want to stay and be a part of.

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Nox - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 02:32 PM)Darcey Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 01:25 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: Remember that you need to look at the linkshells to determine if they will be doing a Free Company. FC = Free Company. Linkshells are just as important though! A Free Company's house isn't just a house that can be decorated as you expand the building, you gain permanent buffs to your characters like 25% exp increase and other things like that.

Where do you see if they are going to be an FC? I don't see that listed on most of the pages.

A lot of Linkshells/FCs will just say it outright, either on their description page or in the comments below. I know I'm in a Free Company through the Knights of the Twelve, but there's also TALE and... I think Misericorde are both also Free Companies as well.

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Elisea Renyven - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 02:35 PM)Nox Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 02:32 PM)Darcey Wrote:

A lot of Linkshells/FCs will just say it outright, either on their description page or in the comments below. I know I'm in a Free Company through the Knights of the Twelve, but there's also TALE and... I think Misericorde are both also Free Companies as well.

I'm almost certain there is probably 5-6 companies right now but there could be more unknowingly. I think the ones I've seen is Unsung Heroes, Blue Skies, Tale, Misericorde, Knights of the Twelve, I think Crystalline is a company too. Not sure on that one 100%. I could be wrong. So there is definitely more Companies out there and if I missed one I apologize!

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Nox - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 02:39 PM)Elisea Renyven Wrote: I'm almost certain there is probably 5-6 companies right now but there could be more unknowingly. I think the ones I've seen is Unsung Heroes, Blue Skies, Tale, Misericorde, Knights of the Twelve, I think Crystalline is a company too. Not sure on that one 100%. I could be wrong. So there is definitely more Companies out there and if I missed one I apologize!

Ah, missed Unsung Heroes cause I haven't checked them out yet. Wasn't aware that Blue Skies was either. I didn't see it anywhere on their page. Sorry about that.

Edit: I'm not sure about Crystalline either, actually.

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Eva - 07-18-2013

To clarify, Crystalline is still in discussions about this but leaning towards the Free Company route.  There is some debate right now as to whether this is ideal and we are planning on keeping a linkshell channel as our primary mode of communication if we do go this route as to include members who may take up a different FC for other reasons.  We're generally encouraged by what we saw in P3 though.  In short, we're hoping to better experience what all is included with a Free Company in P4 before polling our members and making any sort of official decision which path we'll be taking.

EDIT TO APPEND:  Once we settle on whether we'll officially be a Free Company or a Linkshell we'll make it a point to update our listing in the directory to reflect this information.

(07-18-2013, 02:57 PM)Eva Wrote: To clarify, Crystalline is still in discussions about this but leaning towards the Free Company route.  There is some debate right now as to whether this is ideal and we are planning on keeping a linkshell channel as our primary mode of communication if we do go this route as to include members who may take up a different FC for other reasons.  We're generally encouraged by what we saw in P3 though.  In short, we're hoping to better experience what all is included with a Free Company in P4 before polling our members and making any sort of official decision which path we'll be taking.

Thank you for clarifying. I was never sure but I didn't want to miss you folks if you were when I was listing from what I'd read.

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Mtoto Wamoto - 07-18-2013

To further clarify, Blue Skies will not be forming as a Free Company and will remain a linkshell

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - plutosams - 07-18-2013

To clarify CTPA (Cute Things Protection Agency) is definitely a FreeCompany.  We want to foster the true guild community and feeling as opposed to an RP linkshell.  We also assume most of our members will join a linkshell or two if they wish for additional RP reasons beyond the guild content.  So basically, as far as CTPA is concerned we are a linkshell plus some more.  You get all the features of an RP linkshell community plus a guild that will help with endgame and other content.  

It would be nice if Linkshells and Freecompanies were separated in the listings.  Since people can choose multiple linkshells, but only one freecompany the differentiation is somewhat important.

RE: linkshell vs. free company: how do we use them?! - Tyriont - 07-18-2013

One thing I want to throw out in regards to the Free Company issue - because of the whole "only one Free Company thing" there's a few of us (such as Ren and myself) who are going to be working together to form a primarily OOC Free Company that's open to the RP community. No one shell will be tied into it hardcore, the intent is to allow everyone to get a chance to experience the FC content without having to worry about if your character fits in.

It's still very much in the formative stages and nothing's really set in stone yet. However, any linkshell who doesn't want to form their own IC Free Company but still wants to join on that's tied to the RP community is welcome to join up and help us out. If any shells are interested in that, drop Renaise or I a line and we'll give you what little details we have ironed out thus far.