Hydaelyn Role-Players
Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? (/showthread.php?tid=3757)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - Raccoon - 08-20-2013

Totally off-topic, but the topic made me think of Sword Art Online. Sadly, Cardinal's not going to give you the dual wielding unique skill, no matter how high your reflexes are in-game. You don't get to be Kirito.

RE: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - Desmond Aryll - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 10:19 PM)Raccoon Wrote: Totally off-topic, but the topic made me think of Sword Art Online. Sadly, Cardinal's not going to give you the dual wielding unique skill, no matter how high your reflexes are in-game. You don't get to be Kirito.

But what if I try really hard and wear black all the time? Can I dual wield then??

(08-20-2013, 10:26 PM)Desmond Aryll Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 10:19 PM)Raccoon Wrote: Totally off-topic, but the topic made me think of Sword Art Online. Sadly, Cardinal's not going to give you the dual wielding unique skill, no matter how high your reflexes are in-game. You don't get to be Kirito.

But what if I try really hard and wear black all the time? Can I dual wield then??

Nope. Not even if you alienate almost the entire playerbase and solo everything either.

RE: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - Desmond Aryll - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 10:28 PM)Raccoon Wrote:

Nope. Not even if you alienate almost the entire playerbase and solo everything either.

Ah but what if I inadvertently become the love interest of one the most eligible girls in the game through sheer, lone-wolf charm??

(08-20-2013, 10:57 PM)Desmond Aryll Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 10:28 PM)Raccoon Wrote:

Ah but what if I inadvertently become the love interest of one the most eligible girls in the game through sheer, lone-wolf charm??

You'd have to do so not only for her, but also the lonely blacksmith, possibly the youngest beast tamer, your cousin/surrogate sister, and possibly one from a completely separate game that you'd have to lure here through your heroic actions. Even then, nope, still no dual wielding.

RE: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - Brave - 08-21-2013

I'm going to try and get it back on topic even though I SUPER APPRECIATE where this deviation went rofl.

I can completely understand the importance to ones weapon choice and fighting style 'Drifting Fable'.  Since so many of the experienced players have already explained what's what in regards to the mechanics of needing to use a shield though I have a different question.

I've seen a lot of threads talking about what they hope to see in the future regarding their "real job/class" choice and was wondering if anyone knew a site/forum where the devs were posting future plans for the game.

Seeing as a Realm Reborn seems to be the cumulative effort of trying to make the game be a title that everyone can enjoy, I'm sure they're taking feedback seriously.  I just don't know where to to find it ><

RE: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - FreelanceWizard - 08-21-2013

There's just been occasional mumblings through dev blog implications (from the main XIV web site) and interviews with game magazines. To be honest, they haven't really confirmed much other than we can expect to see a barber shop in the first content patch (2.1) post-launch.

For providing feedback before early access, the beta forums are where to go. After that, there's going to be a new Lodestone, and I expect there'll be dev communications through there.

RE: Sword Arm Focused Gladiator? - Mtoto Wamoto - 08-21-2013

There are far more negatives than positives for a gladiator who chooses not to use a shield.
  • Shield Lob requires a shield and is your primary pulling skill. It generates 2x the enmity that it deals damage for. So if you hit for 100 dmg, that's 200 enmity.
  • Shield Bash is your stun skill, and trust me, you want this on your bar. There are many mobs who do some devastating aoe skills that can really damage the party or apply some pretty harsh effects like paralyze and stun. As a gladiator, you're in the front line to prevent them from doing this as the mob charges the attack. 
  • Shield Swipe is one of gladiators strongest non combo attacks, sitting at 210 potency. The only non-combo attack that has a higher potency is Spirits Within, and that's locked exclusively to paladin. It also pacifies the target, meaning they can't attack for a short time (6 seconds). However, you can only use this skill following a block, and in order to block, you need a shield.
  • Bulwark increases block rate, which again, requires a shield.
The only way I can see a Gladiator without a shield to even function at a reasonable level of efficiency is to min-max on stats that run counter to what a gladiator is made to do. That meaning you'd be turning your gladiator into a DD, which would require an absurd amount of strength and determination to compensate for their natural lack of. They'd be lacking in actual damage skills as well, putting them far below a lancer or a pugilist with even shoddy gear on. Further, flash, provoke, and savage blade/rage of halone would be detrimental to you because you don't have the full defense you'd have otherwise if you'd have a shied on. If you want a sword focused class, wait until they introduce great swords or possibly fencer. Gladiator is strictly a tanking class in this game.