Hydaelyn Role-Players
Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Interracial Couples in FFXIV (/showthread.php?tid=4486)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Naunet - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 12:47 PM)Siobhain Wrote:  3. I absolutely adore this. I love that you've taken an idea from the Seeker potential and used it to give her a view of others. Predominantly in the sense that she would subconsciously perceive males in one way or another and thus, intentionally or not, treat them differently at least at first. Beautiful.

Thanks! I've had a lot of fun working with other players involved in the Hipparion tribe to establish what I like think is an interesting take on traditional Seeker culture, and it's definitely been a blast roleplaying that perspective in a more cosmopolitan world.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Nnejo - 09-12-2013

Category A: 

1. Well I am very fond of the Miqo'te, the Keepers of the Moon. I have always admired matriarchal societies and the tribal aspect of cultures.

2. I don't have a problem with this honestly. I am in an interracial union in real life so it seems normal to me. My Seeker will likely be paired with my boyfriends Keeper.

3. My character could be with any one of any race. I try and leave my OOC feelings out it as my opinion about certain ones is very different than hers.

Category B:

1. No Y'Vali cares more about the personality unique to the individual than their race.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - DAISHI - 09-12-2013

Anyone with a problem with interracial couples isn't living in the 21st century.

Cool

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 12:50 PM)J Wrote: I actually like their noses, if only because they'd just essentially be big humans in every way if not for that particular defining trait. It's one of the main reasons as to why I loathed the portrayal of the norn back in GW2 - their only defining physical trait was that they were bigger than humans.

If they were only proportionally larger than humans I might be a bit bummed too. I like Roe noses... SEA WOLF noses. I looked up close on every model I tried to make of a Hellsguard Roegadyn and the unique noses that could grow on me (like Merlwyb's) were mussed by the wet-patch. It's not even the fact it's there, it's the fact it doesn't reach to where the bottom of the nose contacts the upper lip.

It's only halfway on there! Why?! What purpose does it serve?! Is it a tattoo?! Is it a wet-nose?! Why don't males have this problem? Because they have lion-ish noses, they're flat on the bottom and they're all colored in. Females have triangular noses that aren't flat on the bottom so the color doesn't reach all the way down.

It bothers me, perhaps more as an artist than it does as a player. Are they supposed to be like that or did SE just get a little lazy? I don't know. I just don't know.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Moondoggie - 09-12-2013

Category A: You, OOCLY

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything.

I like most of them in some way or another. Especially Hyur Males, Elezen females despite their necks bugging me a bit and of course Miqo'te of both genders look cool.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

The same way i view them in the real world. Love doesn't have boundries so even if i see a Roegadyn male and a Lalafell female i'll not bat an eyelid.

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

Nope. My character and me are different entities so what she thinks and what i think are very different.

Category B: Your character

1. Does your character seek friends or partners based predominantly on race?

Friends she would be open to anyone she finds interesting regardless of race. She's kind of shy and nervous due to only fairly recently meeting a lot more people of other races but will open up to just about anyone with the right amount of prompting. Partners she is a traditionalist so only other Miqo'te especially Keepers.

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?

I suppose she doesn't care that much unless it's Miqo'te with partners of other races. She can't understand the idea of pairing other than to further the strength of the tribe so the idea of pairing with a non Miqo'te is alien to her. For people of other races she likely won't get irritated by it but she might question the logic or find it weird.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Olofantur - 09-12-2013

Interesting topic,

I have had similar conversations, although mine we're more focused on the Undead and blood elves being the two I played during my time there.

A-1: Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything.
I am fond of a few of the races, (in particular) Roegadyn, Elezen, and Lalafell. Though for different reasons, the Roegadyn I find charming in the same way as Taurens/Trolls, they just seem like interesting people even if I haven't met them yet. The bluster or brashness of their character can be endearing.

Elezen are the kind of "Formal" beauty I appreciate like Renaissance portraits, Regal is another fitting word I suppose from their Lore to their NPCs, I enjoy depicting or discovering the small maneuvers that come with making your character perceived as "better".

Lalafell i'm fond of in another matter, they look (to me) like a duality, a soft/calm/child-like exterior beguiling a capacity for great/devious/excitable demeanor. I'm interested in the gap between expected and actual. I'll admit though that a large part of it is Momodi, who was very pleasant in 1.0 and coloured my view of them.

A-2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.
I tend to not think much of it from an OCC perspective, i've only roleplayed heavily in two MMO's and they both had a fair amount of it in different groups, so long it is something that can be addressed if it comes up I don't pay it much mind.

A-3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.
My OCC did a bit tailor my original character development early in 1.0, but I found that through Roleplaying my OCC opinion was changes as well, particularly surrounding Lalafells, at first I treated Momodi and Lalai as exceptions. Though after meeting players and even more characters I've found them some of the most engaging and engaged persons in the realm.

B-1. Does your character seek friends or partners based predominantly on race?
He's more willing to become acquaintances will fellow Duskwight, then Non-Wildwood/Hyur, then Hyur, then Wildwood. After the initial acquaintance, and a few meetings or actions together he usually becomes more receptive to queries or conversation from others.

B-2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?
It depends on the Pairing and the people, his Father was a bit of a romantic so he does try to feel happy for peoples who have found some one to spend time with, but offhandedly dismisses some of the more casual relationships. To a point he often feels sorry for persons who have to be reserved around each other due to outside pressure, and faintly disgusted with those who flaunt their "difference" a "shut up and enjoy it" stance essentially.

Hmm, I could talk about this for hours but i'll stop now,

thanks for the brain food!

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Rinh Hallani - 09-12-2013

1. Miqo'te females and males and Highlander females. Miqo'te are just too pretty and Highlanders, mmm, they look yummy with a hint of roughness....er...ahem.

2. I don't really care as long as there isn't a huge size discrepancy. If I saw a lalafell female and a roegadyn male, I'd probably wonder how she survived!

3. Not really, but again, I don't care much either way in the first place. It's really down to size and physical logistics, but even then, if there's an obvious connection with personalities, well, 'life finds a way' haha.

1. Rinh does prefer fellow miqo'te but she's not averse to other races.

2. She hasn't seen interracial couples at all yet but I can't imagine she'd have much of an opinion about it. She's not so much live and let live, but 'I don't care unless it's me'.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Dogberry - 09-12-2013

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything. 

Female Roegs, female Highlanders, and female Elezen turn my crank. Mi'qote girls are kinda shway sometimes. I think the only Lalafell I'd ever make an exception for is Momodi, because she's hilarious.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

It's fantasy, man. Do whatevs. Let the cat people fall in love with the acorn gnomes if they want to. Who are we to judge the love a knife-ear and a red Incredible Hulk looking person?

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

I think for the most part my preferences bleed over into Dogberry, except he's more into Mi'qote than I am. Like me, he's not so much in to Lalafell, but probably wouldn't make the exception for Momodi.

Dogberry is a bit biased toward other Roegadyn. He's more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, or excuse any of their character flaws, and when dealing with Roegadyn women, there's definitely a difference between how he treats them versus women of other races. For example, even if a Roegadyn allows herself to be called by a more common name, he will insist on using her Roegadyn name as a show of solidarity. His flirting is much more reserved than it is with other women, as well. He feels much more social pressure to settle down with a Roegadyn woman than he does with women of other races. That's not to say he wouldn't consider settling down with another race, but he'd definitely worry about what his family would think. It's entirely likely that he would refuse to introduce his partner to his family, for fear that they'd judge him or, worse, his partner harshly.

Romantically, Dogberry sees most races as potential partners.

Dogberry is also a bit of a jerk toward Lalafells. He has very little experience with them and hasn't gone out of his way to change that. He sees them as cutesy stereotypes rather than as people. I think so far he's only met one that had a personality he could see as "normal". The rest, right or wrong, he just kind of dismisses. It's definitely not his best quality.

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?
He thinks they're fine, but like I said, still has a hard time if he sees a Roegadyn in a serious relationship with a non-Roegadyn, even if he were to be in a serious interracial relationship at the time. In this way, Dogberry is a gigantic grey hypocrite. He had a very pro-Roegadyn chauvinistic upbringing, and when that clashes with reality the cognitive dissonance is palpable.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Azelle - 09-12-2013

ooc me
 1. For history and lore that would be the Elezens of Coerthas (Ishgardians). For visual only, there is one single face on Keeper males that I love to look at.

2. I'm the worst person to ask this, I think it's rather silly and overdone unless the races are close genetically, so seeker-keeper or highlander-midlanders. I am sorry I dislike special snowflake and stretching or canon lore and fanfic. The day I see cross-racial being  a common occurence in FF14, not possible vague dev talk but actual npc's in-game at many places I will gladly revise my views.

3. Unfortunately yes for the sake of a realistic RP experience. If I play a Miqo'te I cannot see how such a genetically different race would be attracted to lets say a roegadyn or a lalafell. Since I prefer to play with RPers seeking the same canon lore realistic experience I am trying to get from ff14, it's usually not a problem.

ic
 1. All my characters would seek within their own race and category first maybe open up within the same race

2. They would not understand and pass it as a joke to make people react.

(09-12-2013, 03:14 PM)Azelle Wrote: ooc me
 1. For history and lore that would be the Elezens of Coerthas (Ishgardians). For visual only, there is one single face on Keeper males that I love to look at.

2. I'm the worst person to ask this, I think it's rather silly and overdone unless the races are close genetically, so seeker-keeper or highlander-midlanders. I am sorry I dislike special snowflake and stretching or canon lore and fanfic. The day I see cross-racial being  a common occurence in FF14, not possible vague dev talk but actual npc's in-game at many places I will gladly revise my views.

3. Unfortunately yes for the sake of a realistic RP experience. If I play a Miqo'te I cannot see how such a genetically different race would be attracted to lets say a roegadyn or a lalafell. Since I prefer to play with RPers seeking the same canon lore realistic experience I am trying to get from ff14, it's usually not a problem.

ic
 1. All my characters would seek within their own race and category first maybe open up within the same race

2. They would not understand and pass it as a joke to make people react.

This is rather interesting.

I mean, I'd like to say I'd get on board with the whole 'genetic differences make a huge, irreparable impact on sexuality' but we as human break the taboos of what we should find physically attractive based on our social experiences, upbringing, and so on. The concept of love often overrides whether or not we can have babies with someone or whether or not we would normally find them attractive. It's part of having the capacity for empathy and ideals that, so far as we know, many animals don't.

While I generally like to avoid the whole 'Well they're all based off humans' excuse, it seems that culture would have more of an impact than genetics, given that Roegadyn, Elezen, Lalafell, and Miqo'te all have consciences and feelings like Hyur, who we kind of have to compare to ourselves more than any.

But, it's interesting to see a different opinion.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Lienayo - 09-12-2013

The Keepers of the Moon will always be my favorite. When it comes to any MMO, I usually drift towards the class that has that one out of the norm race--I mean, you've always got your humans, your elves, your giants, your dwarfs, and then there's that species that's entirely of its own idea. 

I think that is partly the reason why I originally drifted towards Miqo'te's, and the fact that I favor Keepers of the Moon is based on their history. I love them as I love Asmodians from AION, if anyone can relate.

I would be a little weary of the idea of a Lalafell and a Roegadyn together.

Hahah, but, no, I honestly don't care. I think interracial coupling can be pretty interesting, so have at it. I have no qualms about what other people want to do.

Um, no, not really. I keep OOC and IC seperate.

He feels most comfortable around other male Keepers, although he does not necessarily avoid anyone based on their race alone. He just doesn't care. He treats everyone just about the same, whether that's harshly or kindly. It is because of his openness to the male Keepers, however, that originally had him approach the Miqo'te he is interested and devoted to as of now, so he is biased and he is... not biased, because he would care for this Miqo'te whether or not he had ears and tail, at this point.

Like me, he also doesn't care. He has his business just like everyone else has theirs, and he's not about to butt his nose into anything that doesn't involve him. 

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Clover - 09-12-2013

I LOVE the bishounen kind of male Miqo'tes and male Midlanders. It's no surprise that I'm in love with the only two races that allow the bishounen appearance; the other ones are either too manly or too silly for me to find them physically attractive.

Lore is always interesting to me, no matter what the race.

So long as it makes sense, people can do whatever they want.

Well, my characters don't flirt nor they pursue romance ^^;

However, my personal feelings towards certain races mean that, in case my main character ever fell in love with someone, it'd likely be with a race I personally like (mostly because she doesn't fit with any bulky, hairy man *sweatdrops*).

As for my secondary character... Sunseekers are weird by default when it comes to romance, since romance simply seems forbidden. This is why I don't think she'd be limited to any race in particular, regardless of what my personal feelings are.

My characters don't seek romance. Clover is a solitary person, and K'mih is a tribal Miqo'te who has been taught that she'll have to breed with the Nunh someday, so it's not like she has any kind of a choice. Naturally, she initially only has Miqo'te friends from her Tribe.

-Clover: She might be surprised or shocked in some cases, but ultimately, she doesn't really see any reason for it not to happen. As far as I know, hyurs don't have personal issues (and if they have, please let me know, as that part of the lore is unknown to me).

-K'mih: She's been taught that any serious relationship outside her tribe isn't good or recommended. I imagine that she'd be very shocked if she ever learned about the existence of any interracial pairing, and it's likely that she'd try to understand why such a weird thing happened.

(09-12-2013, 04:07 PM)Clover Wrote: However, my personal feelings towards certain races mean that, in case my main character ever fell in love with someone, it'd likely be with a race I personally like (mostly because she doesn't fit with any bulky, hairy man *sweatdrops*).

It's funny, I'm the opposite. My Roe could hook up with anyone but it probably won't be a Roe-- and I prefer 'bulky, hairy' men.

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - Covikt - 09-12-2013

Lala views incoming D:

In all honesty, I could easily find something of each race to love, though I would have to say that my two favorites are the Elezan and the Roegadyn female models. Just something in my mind turns and says yes to tall women... ^^;

I see love as love ingame. I really could care less if a Roeg and a Lala are paired together, it's not like it's harming anyone. Alot of the times, I see romance as an almost needed part of any characters backstory in some shape and form. It gives a drive, that bit of depth that doesn't make the character seem like a stone wall Undecided

Well, Haru isn't really a flirter even if he is looking for romance. I do have to say that he's not one for seperating his attention from people solely based on race. He's already met many people to whom he converses with of all races. I doubt it would affect his outlook on partners.

No, He's all about that equal opportunities Big Grin He's not gonna wave you off if you're a certain race.

Haru's view on them, and my own are practically the same, though he does hold some discontent for Nuhn. That is for an entirely different reason, and not part of this topic though :3

RE: Interracial Couples in FFXIV - FreelanceWizard - 09-12-2013

Sure, I'll bite on this. Smile The Category B answers are for L'yhta.

Personally, I think all of the character models look good. Smile XIV is actually one of the few MMOs where the male character models don't look like misshapen bodybuilders. I rather enjoy the miqo'te and duskwight elezen lore, though I wish other races would get the same level of lore treatment.

I don't care so long as the relationship is established and maintained through narrative. I do think that most races would perhaps see others outside of their race as less attractive due to varying physical characteristics -- fetishizations of certain races aside -- but that's something I just assume the players have accounted for.

Not really. The character is the character is the character, and IC != OOC. I don't think male lalafell are especially attractive models, but if L'yhta were to fall for one, then that happens. Smile

Yes and no. Yes, in that certain behaviors of some female miqo'te greatly annoy her, and as such, she tends to not have friends who fall into the "sexy cat" aesthetic or that are devoted to the tribal lifestyle. Additionally, she prefers the company of other miqo'te who don't fall into either of those categories to that of other races, though it's not a particularly strong preference. No, in that she prefers the company of others in general and isn't too picky about with whom (the above anti-other miqo'te sentiments notwithstanding).

L'yhta's provincial and tribal past has her viewing miqo'te who pair outside their race as strange; why would you not try to continue the tradition of miqo'te striving towards excellence? This point of view isn't one she's particularly open about, but it's one that sticks with her largely due to her commitment to "miqo'te pride" and persists despite her dislike of tribal Seeker culture. When it comes down to it, she's racist in that she feels miqo'te are the superior race and that they should stick to their own to continue that tradition.

This covert racism is rather different from me, the player, as I feel that people have the inherent human right to love whoever they wish. Smile As I've said before, L'yhta can be judgmental ass for all her overt happy-go-lucky behavior.