Hydaelyn Role-Players
Blindness - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Blindness (/showthread.php?tid=4957)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Blindness - Lament - 10-10-2013

The short answer (excluding the seeing part, because being completely blind necessarily means you do not have eyesight): yes.

The long answer:

Disabled people can and do function as well as able people. Sure, the blindness means there are certain things they can't do (e.g. read, watch a silent movie), and some things they may take longer to learn due to the lack of visual cues. But people are notoriously adaptable. Some blind folks can do something called human echolocation by, for instance, clicking their tongues. It's like a sonar. It lets them get around without running into things. It lets them do things like play basketball, or other sports. I suggest watching the Paralympics to see how much people with disabilities, even severe ones, are capable of.

I mean, sure, a blind person can't read (with their eyes). But can you close your eyes and find your way around just by clicking your tongue? Functioning 'well' is relative (and honestly, the notion that having a disability means you function less well than someone without it is ableist; I'd say the distinction is functioning differently, rather than more or less well).

But the answer you're probably looking for: No, there isn't much of a point to having your character be disabled if the disability never factors into it.

But it's not the case here, really.

RE: Blindness - K'dath - 10-10-2013

Personally, this is not something I would normally recommend or would actively discourage if someone was coming to me seeking my opinion. I find the best way to play blind characters is not to do it. Because Zatoichi or Daredevil are not exceptions to the rule, they're exceptions to reality. It's just not a believable character.

BUT, from what I read and gather, you've got a very solid concept you've clearly thought out. You've got a logic to how she functions and don't seem to imply that being blind gives you super strength. You've got a very moderate approach that's grounded in realistic expectations for the world and its lore, and I like that.

Rock on, with my completely meaningless blessing.

As far as aetherial seeing being likened to aura-sight, I think the only thing that might put a kerfluffle in the concept is the whole destruction of Midgarsormr at Silvertear Falls, which has messed up the way aether flows. As I understand it's what allows for primals to be summoned, but that there is more too it than just 'oh snap, the door to the primal's playpen is busted'. It's like someone chucked a metaphorical boulder in the lifestream, there's all sorts of ripples. Aether is also potentially very dangerous. And aether doesn't just exist as a substance within living things, it manifests tangibly as crystals and intangibly as a sort of mist.

Of course, rather than a complication, you could always use those considerations as a hook. Maybe work crystal shards into a sort of improv mapping technique? Be really reluctant to visit Mor Dhona? You could use your 'sight' to track the aether flow to where beast tribes are amassing and preemptively strike before they have a chance to even summon one of their gods. You could constantly be in danger from beastmen and their thralls, for want to abuse the gift for their own wicked ends.

It's got a totally unique set of challenges you could capitalize on to do neat things with. Or not! Just tossing out concepts. Hope it was at least a little interesting, if not helpful.

That's an interesting point. I never figured her "aether vision" to be extremely precise, except when out in the field where there isn't too much commotion (and even then it's not so much precise as 'ok, I can walk, there is no cliff in front of me').

That ties in well with things getting too hazy when there's too much going on (and to feeling disoriented, maybe sick? aether sickness?), though!

I like the crystal shards as an improv mapping technique - since they're condensed aether they would be easier to sense. Could place a few in strategic spots, but of course, that goes nowhere if they're moved.

RE: Blindness - Shae'ra - 10-10-2013

-Carries a decent sized Aether shard in front of her in a city- "Follow the shard, follow the shard!"

Or he could just not be a jerk and lead her properly by arm or hand...

That's not very nice >:C

RE: Blindness - Raccoon - 10-10-2013

There's a character in XI:7 that's blind. She seems to get on pretty well, though it takes a while for people to notice the fact that she is. And you still find yourself doing emotes that require visual cues despite the fact that she won't react to any of them -- nodding, smiling, and all that.

Blindness is probably far more easy to pull off than, say, being deaf/mute. In a social game like this, without everyone around you being able to read your emoted sign language or not having something like telepathy to make it nothing more than a senseless character aspect, you'd probably be left out of quite a few things.

RE: Blindness - Edgar - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 02:09 PM)Raccoon Wrote: There's a character in XI:7 that's blind. She seems to get on pretty well, though it takes a while for people to notice the fact that she is. And you still find yourself doing emotes that require visual cues despite the fact that she won't react to any of them -- nodding, smiling, and all that.

Blindness is probably far more easy to pull off than, say, being deaf/mute. In a social game like this, without everyone around you being able to read your emoted sign language or not having something like telepathy to make it nothing more than a senseless character aspect, you'd probably be left out of quite a few things.

Tia Rie. I've RP'd with her before. The way her character gets around blindness is by relying on this fact: When one of the five senses is removed, the body cranks up the other four to compensate. She has much more sensitive smell and hearing.