Hydaelyn Role-Players
IC dungeon runs - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: IC dungeon runs (/showthread.php?tid=5769)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: IC dungeon runs - Siha - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 03:53 PM)Whittledown Wrote: I remember in WoW my old guild would do IC dungeon runs and we'd be in there for upwards of three hours RPing and doing stuff.  So much fun.

I wonder if there is an LS for this sort of thing?

My friends and I used to do that same thing, but we'd do it in old raids, once we even cleared out Magisters Terrace so we could do a scene with our main villain there, a boss battle-ish type thing and we rped it out as him having called all the monsters we had to clear. Damn those Warlocks! >3 But man was it fun!

RE: IC dungeon runs - Tla - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 03:53 PM)TeeBeeDee Wrote: heh.

I think I just nominated myself to start organizing something didn't I?

Geek

I'll figure out something.

~Tzain Nival
*gives the scepter of power* Seems so! Big Grin

RE: IC dungeon runs - Olofantur - 12-11-2013

While i'm a huge advocate, and would love to tag along for any that end up occurring I would like to raise the note that is imperative (if you support this idea) To make your voice heard on the official FFXIV forums petitioning for the extension or removal of the timer.

While initially a great deal of the timers implementation was due to infrastructure (ensuring the separate servers who host the actual instances were not over laden or filled with people putzing about, 90 minutes into Brayflox because the healer keeps arguing with the tank. you can see evidence of this when you have a full party and get a 'waiting to reserve an instance') With the level of support A realm reborn has received and the stability of the not insubstantial player base, I don't think it would be beyond them to (over time, i'm not expecting it any time soon.) lengthen the time limit as additional blades are added, eventually removing the non-mechanics based timers.

I greatly miss studying the relics of Dzemeal Darkhold, though it has changed much. And the Sunken Temple of Qarn is just begging to be explored more... just my 2gil, if such a linkshell is put together, please let me know.

Oh WoW.. my favorites were the rather common Karazhan, using the dance floor to host parties and the chess table for matches. As well as Magisters Terrace like Siha mentioned. OH! and how could I forget Ulduar...

RE: IC dungeon runs - Rinh Hallani - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 04:07 PM)Olofantur Wrote: Oh WoW.. my favorites were the rather common Karazhan, using the dance floor to host parties and the chess table for matches. As well as Magisters Terrace like Siha mentioned. OH! and how could I forget Ulduar...

Karazhan parties were the best! My old guild had a banquet there, after we fed Moroes' bones to the dogs first, of course haha.

But where's this petition you mention? I'll sign it.

RE: IC dungeon runs - Fates Skein - 12-11-2013

I am totally, 100% for this.  Our FC does IC dungeon runs as part of the larger FC story and it's a great chance to sneak in some character growth and development as a result of unexpected circumstances.  I mean, heck, people die in dungeons!

The dungeon timer is, I agree, a major hindrance.  Especially if someone is trying to DM stuff while at the same time fighting.

The FFXIV official forums are, admittedly, a little daunting for me but if someone does have a petition to make the forum timer something that is either extended or possibly only active on a person's first run I would sign it in an instant.

Personally, I think the 'active on first run' would be easiest to implement. They already have the xp boost for first timers.  Having the timer active on those runs only seems to make sense.

RE: IC dungeon runs - Whittledown - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 05:02 PM)Fates Skein Wrote: I am totally, 100% for this.  Our FC does IC dungeon runs as part of the larger FC story and it's a great chance to sneak in some character growth and development as a result of unexpected circumstances.  I mean, heck, people die in dungeons!

The dungeon timer is, I agree, a major hindrance.  Especially if someone is trying to DM stuff while at the same time fighting.

The FFXIV official forums are, admittedly, a little daunting for me but if someone does have a petition to make the forum timer something that is either extended or possibly only active on a person's first run I would sign it in an instant.

Personally, I think the 'active on first run' would be easiest to implement. They already have the xp boost for first timers.  Having the timer active on those runs only seems to make sense.
I was thinking along these lines too.  Maybe so long as the group has at least one first-timer the dungeon timer is active but if everyone in the group has completed it there is no timer.  That way it's still there for the quest dungeons and things but once that's done you can do whatever you want.

(12-11-2013, 04:40 PM)Rinh Hallani Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 04:07 PM)Olofantur Wrote: Oh WoW.. my favorites were the rather common Karazhan, using the dance floor to host parties and the chess table for matches. As well as Magisters Terrace like Siha mentioned. OH! and how could I forget Ulduar...

Karazhan parties were the best! My old guild had a banquet there, after we fed Moroes' bones to the dogs first, of course haha.

But where's this petition you mention? I'll sign it.
I for the life of me can't find it under
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/648
at the moment, but when I get home i'll try to do a more comprehensive search and update.

As an aside, heres an ongoing quality of life thread, with quite a few dev responses
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/70697-Some-suggestions-mostly-quality-of-life-obvious-things
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/70697-Some-suggestions-mostly-quality-of-life-obvious-things?p=1260014&viewfull=1#post1260014
(just to show that they DO listen!)

Also, random Liadan on the forums (The one about exploiting the first time in dungeons.) kinda surprised me D:
Oh gods people replying aaaa- back to hiding..

(12-11-2013, 05:02 PM)Fates Skein Wrote: people die in dungeons!
Speaking of which, more Brayflox Big Grin?

RE: IC dungeon runs - Roen - 12-11-2013

I have never done it, but I think this is a fantastic idea.

RE: IC dungeon runs - TeeBeeDee - 12-11-2013

I'd have to do some hands on testing, but rarely have I had non-failfest dungeons run the entire time length. 90 minutes is a long time for one dungeon assuming your not dying. Once completed, the timer stops if I remember correctly.

Take a place like WP. It's not like you'd be stopping to smell the roses. A Tonberry is actively stalking you and trying to stab you in the throat. Normal IC reaction would be one of fear and panic. Or Haukke Manor, it's basically a haunted house. Sneaking through like the Scooby Doo gang would be within reason.

And if we're being serious, wiping on a run would be basically losing. So IC wise, you'd all be limping out of the dungeon with your tails between your legs.

EDIT: Not that I'm dismissive of the idea. I think it has some merit. However there are some existing technical hurdles that have to be surmounted to make it work. For instance, if you ever DF and use the "join party in progress" there are a ton of empty zones that are still alive even though the original group abandoned them due to failure.

Maybe if the timer was removed if you entered without using DF?

~Tzain Nival

RE: IC dungeon runs - Tla - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 06:03 PM)TeeBeeDee Wrote: Maybe if the timer was removed if you entered without using DF?
That's what I was thinking. Everybody already done it once and entering with a premade. Just to take away the risk of trolling.

RE: IC dungeon runs - Eliane Dufresne - 12-11-2013

What I miss is being able to *stay* in dungeons after completing them. In WoW a lot of times we would clear a place out and then use it to RP in...or we'd just run through to explore the stuff we had to overlook because we were too busy killing things. Instead, you're booted after five minutes here. It's really a bummer.

These timers put a damper on all kinds of RP. I'd much rather do dungeon runs IC, because god knows I've had quite enough of speed running things.

RE: IC dungeon runs - Naunet - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 06:03 PM)TeeBeeDee Wrote: I'd have to do some hands on testing, but rarely have I had non-failfest dungeons run the entire time length. 90 minutes is a long time for one dungeon assuming your not dying. Once completed, the timer stops if I remember correctly.

It does not stop, which means all those awesome settings are completely inaccessible for lengthy RP.

I posted extensively about the timer on the beta forums, and though my thread was trolled to hell and back, it did get over 300 likes, so... take heart that there are people who would rather the timer gone.

We shouldn't have to deal with archaic "solutions" to problems that don't exist in MMOs that are actually constructed properly. >_>

(12-11-2013, 06:03 PM)TeeBeeDee Wrote: EDIT: Not that I'm dismissive of the idea. I think it has some merit. However there are some existing technical hurdles that have to be surmounted to make it work. For instance, if you ever DF and use the "join party in progress" there are a ton of empty zones that are still alive even though the original group abandoned them due to failure.

Maybe if the timer was removed if you entered without using DF?

~Tzain Nival

Oh i totally understand that running through the dungeon killing them takes very little time, but pausing to study an enemy before engaging. playing with the scales in Qarn to try out different combinations (IC) could take a great deal of time. A miner being protected by a mercenary troop in copper bell searching for a node or two.

I think, like in most cases this would be solvable by providing options. Create the potential for people to queue with or without timers, (and to ensure their being no division and even longer queues in the case of DF, they can maintain it pulling from the same player pool and instead, like 'in progress' make it something that only happens as an aside.) where as when you enter with a premade I think it should be fully up to the party leader.

Ideally this would allow people who want the timer to opt out completely, while providing people who want it with the chance to get it (again like the 'in progress' option.) it would likely be a rare occurrence outside of premades, but i'm all for providing more options to tweak ones experience.

Food for thought though.

RE: IC dungeon runs - Knight Kat - 12-11-2013

If a LS like this is made, please let me know. I would be so up for this.

Anything IC that involves action and adventure is a win for me Smile
I am no expert on doing RP dungeons or anything like them, but I think setting up and using macros could help with multitasking combat and RP.

RE: IC dungeon runs - Aexis - 12-11-2013

I've intentionally held up on many of the dungeons hoping to run into opportunities to enjoy them as part of an RP event.

I would certainly like to see something come of this thread. Laugh