Hydaelyn Role-Players
~Crafting Corner~ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: ~Crafting Corner~ (/showthread.php?tid=586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Zyrusticae - 09-07-2010

No, you don't understand... you automatically gain the ability to make an item when you are of high enough rank. You don't actually need to "acquire" the recipe to begin with (and the game has no way of recording this anyways); that's just for your convenience.

There is simply no way to convert shards into crystals at the moment. You can try any permutation but it simply does not work. You CAN, however, convert crystals into shards... although this is a pretty useless option since crystals are considerably rarer than shards to begin with.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Aveline - 09-07-2010

Quote:There is simply no way to convert shards into crystals at the moment.
Yes there is! Smile Alchemists can.

The recipe is:
Fine Sand x1
Normal Shard x16

You get 1 crystal per 16 shards.

I'm not sure what level you have to be to make crystals. I know that turning crystals into shards is level 8 alchemy, so turning shards into crystals is probably somewhere in that level range as well.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/15004-making-crystals

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56102111&pid=960613">http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfan ... pid=960613</a><!-- m -->

If someone HAS managed to make them, that'd be great... for them. Me, I don't plan on leveling a third craft (two is hard enough, good grief)...

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Vareal - 09-07-2010

I'm sure they'll give us access to a recipe book eventually, if not then that'd be kinda... lame? I dunno, it would be interesting to have to keep your very own recipe book that you write in every time you get a new one, but who's gunna do that? Anyway, I'm going to stick with being a blacksmith despite how irritating it can or will become. I just hope they impliment an Auction House by launch.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Asyria - 09-07-2010

They said they would wait before implementing an AH.

Also, once and for all, this game is not your usual sit-and-wait-for-the-goodies mmo, we have to earn things, and lots of us like it that way. We also have to keep in mind that this is not a grind-to-cap-ASAP-and-raid type of game. the way SE made it, we are meant to take our time and enjoy every aspect of the game. Leveling 3 crafting classes for example seems like horrible work, but if you do it over a year or two, it would be a piece of cake. Not only that, but the way the economy is made to work, players are encouraged to trade with each other. You don't -have- to level Alchemy, you just have to have an Alchemist friend or acquaintance to trade with.
I don't think, even in the long term, what they mean for us to do everything by ourselves, even if it certainly is possible, with time. More than any other mmo I played, FF XIV is a social game, a community game.
Yet so many people seem to think only in terms of 1st person.
It kinda baffles me.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Vareal - 09-07-2010

Asyria Wrote:I don't think, even in the long term, what they mean for us to do everything by ourselves, even if it certainly is possible, with time. More than any other mmo I played, FF XIV is a social game, a community game.
Yet so many people seem to think only in terms of 1st person.
It kinda baffles me.

I've been getting that same vibe from just about everyone I've encountered in the game so far. You ask anything in chat or shout and nearly no one replies, sometimes takes 10 minutes to get a reply. I suppose people are comming from games like Aion, or Lineage 2 or WoW where you can solo the game's (so to speak) I dunno, I just wanna help people and in return be helped. I love this community idea MMO, it's a good change from afore mentioned games.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Tadir - 09-07-2010

Zyrusticae Wrote:No, you don't understand... you automatically gain the ability to make an item when you are of high enough rank. You don't actually need to "acquire" the recipe to begin with (and the game has no way of recording this anyways); that's just for your convenience.

There is simply no way to convert shards into crystals at the moment. You can try any permutation but it simply does not work. You CAN, however, convert crystals into shards... although this is a pretty useless option since crystals are considerably rarer than shards to begin with.

No, you don't understand. If you have the ingredients you can try to make it. You have a much greater chance of failing, but you don't need to unlock the recipes. You absolutely can convert shards into crystals. You don't automatically gain the ability to make it when you hit a certain rank. You always have it, you're just going to fail a lot.

And if you don't want to level a third craft then make friends with an alchemist who can do it for you. That's kind of the point of mmos.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Renaise - 09-07-2010

I dont suppose anyone with leatherworking skill can make me a buffalo leather strap? I have the materials... well -1 wind shard...

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Rreeth - 09-07-2010

I have found a few recipes not listed on the database sites yet, both through leves and through just experimenting with materials I have on hand. However, I am not planning to post to the databases until the game actually goes live. No sense in posting it now when beta is subject to change at any time.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Tadir - 09-07-2010

I agree. I'm compiling my own list so that I have stuff to try when the game is released. I'll share the recipes I find, of course, but I'm not adding them to any of the crafting databases until release.

Tadir Wrote:No, you don't understand. If you have the ingredients you can try to make it.
Ugh, okay, this is getting silly.

Let me get this straight. I've already linked two threads where people tried it AND DIDN'T GET ANYTHING. If you try to make something and the recipe does not exist within the game you simply can't make it, period. The game will tell you this explicitly, outright.

The recipe does not exist within the game.

Seriously, try it.

Now, maybe the recipe is WRONG, maybe the recipe does exist but uses different ingredients. I don't know. All I know is that nobody knows it yet and nobody ever discovered such a recipe throughout the entirety of closed beta (and seriously, it is NOT for a lack of trying), so the conclusion I reach is that it simply does not exist at this current point in time.

Prove me wrong. Go ahead. I'll be happy if you can. Just stop with these disingenuous assertions, would you?

(And all the helpful information in the post is completely ruined by your sarcastic attempt to parody me, intentional or not. If you can't be courteous to me don't expect me to react very kindly.)

Zyrusticae Wrote:(And all the helpful information in the post is completely ruined by your sarcastic attempt to parody me, intentional or not. If you can't be courteous to me don't expect me to react very kindly.)

And your question-asking is completely ruined by your apparent determination in bashing every answer given to you, and you have been doing this from the start, which I guess explains Tadir's tone in his latest post.
Not that I said "explain" not "excuse".

Now I am no Moderator, but I ask you anyway. please, either be willing to see each others good will, or take it to PM's.

Please. I have been repeatedly insulted with some of the most basic and obvious "answers" that could possibly be formed, as though I could not possibly know any better. It gets to me when people assume I am incompetent or failed to consider the blindingly obvious (though I may well do this on occasion, this is obviously not one of those times).

It would be nice if people could at least assume (yes, I know, assumptions make us...) that I have a basic working knowledge of the game mechanics that I happen to be criticizing. Telling me "you're doing it wrong" when, no, I am in fact not doing anything wrong is just an obvious blow to the face. I will shoot down such answers because they're not answers at all!

(And for the record, I do not expect anything to fall into my lap. I do, however, expect to at least be able to do basic, basic crafts without everything failing and ultimately breaking 9/10 times... even 1/2 the time would be acceptable.)

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Vond - 09-07-2010

I have been having some crafting trouble myself! I am rank 5 alchemist and rank 4 carpenter, mainly through doing local leves. I have been able to succeed at most leves, and create some things with alchemy like Beeswax. I thought, "Maybe I'll start building a shield. Cutting maple planks seems like it should be an easy thing to do." But I fail it every time, even when paying to use facilities and using the same strategies as other crafting that I've succeeded with. Clearly this had been a big waste of wind shards. Do you suppose I'm doing something wrong, or do I need the "Woodlaying Training?" Cutting a plank seems like it would be the most basic thing for carpenters.

@ Zyrusticaie
You say people have been less than courteous.
You also have been less than courteous, but seem to find it excusable because those who are honestly trying to help are not giving you "real" answers. You seem to believe it's your right to "shut them down" for that reason.
Well it's not.

How is anyone suppose to assume the sum of your crafting knowledge if all you do is describe an unsuccessful experience? This lead people to believe you need help. If you had wanted to lay a trap for people who know less than you to try and help out just so you could show them better, you probably couldn't have done it better than that. I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but think about it.

It would be nice if people would assume that others have the best intentions and react accordingly, instead of always assuming the worst. And that,s not me returning your own phrase in your face, this is something I ALWAYS end up saying because it seems that people never learn that the internet would be so much more peaceful if people just stopped assuming the worse.

Just so you know, I re-wrote this 3 times in an attempt at taking sarcasm out of my post, because I'm not normally a sarcastic person. Only when I' get mad. I believe I was successful, but I could be wrong so just, in case.. No sarcasm meant, here.

@Vond
I'm not entirely sure what Facilities do, but what I do know is that some recipes have a minimum level. I believe that minimum level only means you can attempt it, but your chances are probably extremely low. I'd suggest trying to get your rank up a bit before trying the crafting again.
I dunno what logic is used in these Crafting things, but it seems many things which we would perceive as basic are somewhat hard to do in the game. Like planks out of logs and nuggets out of ore.