Hydaelyn Role-Players
How would I RP time travel? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How would I RP time travel? (/showthread.php?tid=5869)

Pages: 1 2

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Naunet - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 05:38 AM)Jomoru Wrote: 1. Her past is your future. All of her backstory is story you haven't played out yet. You can get all Timey Whimey about it but its going to feel forced and might make things harder on your obviously young daughter.

3.Playing out pregnancy and development. Assuming the timelines stay the same in some fashion eventually you have to move to her being concieved, born, potentially having child her be around her her, its abit complicated and puts alot on everyone's plate.

Just go with the usual time travel rule that the time traveler's presence has irrevocably altered the future. The future-daughter's parents don't ever have to get pregnant because when future-daughter landed in the past, they spawned a new universe/timeline. The future-daughter's past with her future-parents does not have to affect any future rp between the new timeline's present-parents.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Kismet - 12-21-2013

I cannot say what anyone should or should not do. However... Personally? I am not a fan of time travel scenarios. It usually presents too many issues, like god-modding (that could very well be unintentional). Unless the lore supports the notion of lots of people regularly going back and forth in time like it's no big deal, I find the idea of time travelers odd. (I know there are the Warriors of Light... But that event is NOT a common occurrence.) It typically comes off as lazy (and/or clichéd) storytelling to me.

And for the particular case presented by the OP, it sounds unnecessary. You can just change the backstories/character concepts in order to establish whatever relationships you want. Nobody should throw a hissyfit if you retcon things.

(12-21-2013, 05:51 PM)Kismet Wrote: You can just change the backstories/character concepts in order to establish whatever relationships you want.

If not having a child is a significant part of a character, it is not that easy to change. For example, with my own character it is very important that she only had three children, which means that when new folk come into the K tribe and ask if they can be offspring of my character, I have to say no. Retconning wouldn't work because months of RP have built up a very specific story that has led to very specific character development.

I wouldn't presume that it's so easy to retcon something.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Jomoru - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 12:57 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(12-21-2013, 05:38 AM)Jomoru Wrote: 1. Her past is your future. All of her backstory is story you haven't played out yet. You can get all Timey Whimey about it but its going to feel forced and might make things harder on your obviously young daughter.

3.Playing out pregnancy and development. Assuming the timelines stay the same in some fashion eventually you have to move to her being concieved, born, potentially having child her be around her her, its abit complicated and puts alot on everyone's plate.

Just go with the usual time travel rule that the time traveler's presence has irrevocably altered the future. The future-daughter's parents don't ever have to get pregnant because when future-daughter landed in the past, they spawned a new universe/timeline. The future-daughter's past with her future-parents does not have to affect any future rp between the new timeline's present-parents.

then in a very meaningful sense the future character is in fact not the child of the two people.

(12-21-2013, 06:25 PM)Jomoru Wrote: then in a very meaningful sense the future character is in fact not the child of the two people.

Sure she would. She still shares their genes. She's just from a different time-universe. Though the question of "Am I really their daughter/Is she really our child?" would be an interesting one to explore IC.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Soahl - 12-21-2013

First off, I have to say that the whole Chocobo with a Flux Capacitor concept is brilliant, and more-so is your daughter's reasoning as to why it wouldn't work. That line itself made my day.

(12-21-2013, 12:57 PM)Naunet Wrote: The future-daughter's parents don't ever have to get pregnant because when future-daughter landed in the past, they spawned a new universe/timeline.

I really like this idea. If you're married to the concept of Time Travel, this is a very elegant way of going about it. Plus, then you don't have to worry about keeping an eye on the fuzzy memory shtick. If she's from an alternate universe/timeline, then anything could have happened in her past. Eorzea could have been invaded by a dimension-hopping squad of SHINRA Soldiers or whatever. At that point, the daughter character's history would only have to follow the vaguest sense of logic and, if whatever she says comes out as too weird or crazy it can easily be brushed off as embellishing her own background to impress others.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Tiergan - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 06:31 PM)Soahl Wrote: First off, I have to say that the whole Chocobo with a Flux Capacitor concept is brilliant, and more-so is your daughter's reasoning as to why it wouldn't work. That line itself made my day.

(12-21-2013, 12:57 PM)Naunet Wrote: The future-daughter's parents don't ever have to get pregnant because when future-daughter landed in the past, they spawned a new universe/timeline.

I really like this idea. If you're married to the concept of Time Travel, this is a very elegant way of going about it. Plus, then you don't have to worry about keeping an eye on the fuzzy memory shtick. If she's from an alternate universe/timeline, then anything could have happened in her past. Eorzea could have been invaded by a dimension-hopping squad of SHINRA Soldiers or whatever. At that point, the daughter character's history would only have to follow the vaguest sense of logic and, if whatever she says comes out as too weird or crazy it can easily be brushed off as embellishing her own background to impress others.

Depending on how much his daughter wants to RP with the rest of the community and not just her parents - this sort of thing would launch her straight into 'special snowflake' territory and she'd probably get avoided by a lot of folks.

Personally, if you go with time-travel and not adoption, you should keep all the outlandish elements of it as low-key and subtle as possible.  Someone mentioned her hiding it and acting as though she were adopted - that's a really neat idea.

It means anyone who would potentially not be okay with time-travel in RP can just see her as an adopted daughter - and when Erik, his wife, and his daughter come across players that are OK with the whole timey-wimey thing, they can reveal the secret to them.

Plus, RPing having a secret is sort of fun and adds another dimension to the RP.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Kismet - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 06:22 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(12-21-2013, 05:51 PM)Kismet Wrote: You can just change the backstories/character concepts in order to establish whatever relationships you want.

If not having a child is a significant part of a character, it is not that easy to change. For example, with my own character it is very important that she only had three children, which means that when new folk come into the K tribe and ask if they can be offspring of my character, I have to say no. Retconning wouldn't work because months of RP have built up a very specific story that has led to very specific character development.

I wouldn't presume that it's so easy to retcon something.

I understand that and it makes sense. But I would personally scrap the concept entirely if there was no way for me to retcon it in. If I need to resort to something as fantastical as time travel to justify the inclusion of a character... For me, that's a a bit much.

As Tiergan said, if I came across it, I'd treat them as someone they adopted. But do I think it's the only (let alone the best) way they could go about introducing her into some pre-established RP? No.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Jomoru - 12-22-2013

(12-21-2013, 06:27 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(12-21-2013, 06:25 PM)Jomoru Wrote: then in a very meaningful sense the future character is in fact not the child of the two people.

Sure she would. She still shares their genes. She's just from a different time-universe. Though the question of "Am I really their daughter/Is she really our child?" would be an interesting one to explore IC.

I share half my genes with my brother. Genes don't mean much. Ask someone who has adopted a child. What matters is the raising, the time together and that in a very legitimate way is destroyed via timey whimey stuff.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Erik Mynhier - 12-22-2013

Well to be honest she is my special snowflake. And as stated she's 5, so I don't see her heading into the community at large so the effects would be limited to us and our friends when they feel like playing with her. I was just looking for some ideas on how time travel in this world would work so I could lay it out for her. I like the Hymn idea as she likes the video cg for Answers. I appreciate the feedback all, I wasn't expecting such an academic level it got to, but she liked that you guys cared enough to work it out for her. She says thanks.

[Image: Faris+Mynhier+12_19_2013+14_41_09.png]

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Tiergan - 12-22-2013

... Oh man.  I totally missed the part where she was 5.

Hell - let her RP whatever she wants.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Kismet - 12-22-2013

Yeeeeaaaah, I admittedly missed that part, too... That changes everything. Laugh Do what you want, lmao.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Jomoru - 12-22-2013

It might still be easier for her to play someone in their early teens vs late to adulthood and I think you could justify that especially if the character is a hybrid.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Erik Mynhier - 12-23-2013

Yeah she likes scifi and fantasy and really likes FF. She just wanted to know how time travel works in this game, she wraps her head around the idea itself fine, she just wanted me to find out how it is done in the FFXIV world. The Hymn was what I was trying to remember.