Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore Question (/showthread.php?tid=6005)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Lore Question - Evie - 01-02-2014

(01-02-2014, 05:25 PM)Bentii Wrote: She had no intent in coming to Eorzea, her fail safe was a scroll that was created with the purpose of Teleporting the user to a safe place.  Being as she didn't make it and she got it from a questionable figure in the first place, it wasn't even her who dimensioned hopped herself.  She infact had no part in it, nor does she even come even SLIGHTLY closed to being able to produce a FRACTION of the power it would take to do so.

So yea my character is not doing anything wrong, and is NOT overpowered what so ever.

Then I see honestly no problem with it, trying to make an overpowered character is one thing, but yours is not at all (I probably should have read your entire post the first time XD but I got all grrr at people telling you dimension jumping isn't possible especially when we just saw evidence of it). The DEVs OF THE GAME integrated dimension jumping themselves with the Lightning event. There is no indication if this is a "special" thing. It happened she came and is coming back. To me that indicates Lore appropriateness of Dimension jumping right there.

Also I didn't mean to make it sound like you were trying to make an overpowered character, Sorry if it came across that way >.<.

RE: Lore Question - LandStander - 01-02-2014

It seems fine to me. I mean FF14 is basically going to be an MMO fan service as they bring in characters from other Final Fantasy games. We have seen Lightning from 13 so far. Cloud of Darkness from FF3 will be making an appearance alongside the man who is famous for dimension hopping, Gilgamesh. Shantotto from 11 is mentioned as lore in the game (she made the BLM relic weapon, the stardust rod) and will make a cameo in game. Interesting thing, she had her own campaign in 11 where she actually dimension hopped. Then we have the Void and Atomos which are both linked to other dimensions. We have even seen the power to time skip. 

What I am trying to say is that your story is fine since you are just porting your character over with her memories from her previous place (funny thing is I sort of entertained the idea of having a character who came from Vanadiel in XI just for giggles >.>). As long as you aren't giving her any crazy powers like the ability to send other people to other dimensions, turn into Bahamut, etc (which I can see that you do not) then I think you are perfectly fine Big Grin.

RE: Lore Question - Frederique - 01-02-2014

Plausible, even if it's not another FF game as long as you present it well. And most of the time you don't even have to present the back story at all.

When a friend of mine and I moved from FFXI to WoW we actually had a story where they ended up being forced through a portal that landed them into Azeroth before Azshara went crazy. The characters, having been forced to transform to the world there, blended into the Kaldorei society.

No one but the two of us knew this bazaar story, and it mattered very little to the plot. I could even force that said character into FFXIV's world 'cause, well, magic! Sometimes you just love a character so much you want to play them through platforms.

If someone asks, you don't have to tell the whole story, just say your character is a stranger in a strange land. It leaves some mystery, makes them want to know more. I would only reveal the odd truth after you gain trust and know each other as legit RPers. It can be a great plot twist.

RE: Lore Question - Merri - 01-02-2014

Quite simply put? Yes, "dimension hopping" is canon. While the original stance with FFXIV during 1.0 was of the mind that Eorzea, Hydaelyn, and it's universe were explicitly separate from the rest of the Final Fantasy universe, that was more or less thrown out when Yoshi-P took the reigns from Tanaka.

That being said, we have two cases of confirmed dimension hopping in FFXIV which have more or less been covered. One being Lightning, and the second being (Storyline spoiler, click at your own risk!)
Show Content

We don't know much about the Shantotto F.A.T.E yet, but I guarantee it's more dimension hopping. In fact, Vana'diel got Spriggans from XIV as a cross-over event, so I think they're trying to establish a connection between Vana'diel and Hydaelyn on some level.

Not everyone will agree with the idea of dimension hopping, but it's absolutely canonically plausible at this point.

RE: Lore Question - Bentii - 01-02-2014

Thank you all!  I am so happy that I am here with such an amazing community! I am glad to know I won't be denied RP because of this!  You are all an amazing group of people and I look forward to future Role Play with you all!

RE: Lore Question - Darkfae - 01-02-2014

Yeah, they're showing a lot of dimension hopping in XIV, more than in any other FF game, mixing both canon dimension hoppers with new ones.

Lightning was the first dimension hopper to show up, and her Fates explained it.

Show Content

The other special case character was recently revealed recently as well.

Show Content

I'd like more info about the Shantotto F.A.T.E before commenting on it. For a long time, there were people claiming that Hydaelyn was just Vana'diel in the future, even though we know it's not, so I'm leery of the damn thing and the fan bois it might create. XD

Basically, as mentioned, if you do it with class and style, without making your character overpowered and super special snowflake/Lightning clone - you're fine! There's lore to back up that dimensional rifts open in Hydaelyn, twisting that to fit with your character is an option, just like any other lore in the world. =D

RE: Lore Question - Kieron Lohengrin - 01-03-2014

Looking forward to the ingame promotional crossover for KH3!