Hydaelyn Role-Players
Play ALL THE THINGS! - Avoiding the Mary Sue Trap - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Play ALL THE THINGS! - Avoiding the Mary Sue Trap (/showthread.php?tid=6190)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Play ALL THE THINGS! - Avoiding the Mary Sue Trap - Musemi - 02-28-2014

(01-22-2014, 07:14 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 06:22 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I hope you'll forgive me my realism transgressions.  :c

This is a game where I can raise people from the dead.  I really don't think there's such a thing as "realism transgressions."

I never use Raise type skills in my rp though. Removal of the consequence of death is a serious no no in my own rp tastes. If someone has been raised, I say they were on the brink of death, but not actually dead. So in this instance it is like cpr ^^

RE: Play ALL THE THINGS! - Avoiding the Mary Sue Trap - Seriphyn - 02-28-2014

For this, I put forward the question "How many full-time Olympic gymnasts are also full-time nuclear engineers?"

Weapons and magic alike would take years of practice. Kale can use most types of weapons (except the bow, which is something that needs to be honed from an early age) because he's been a fighter for around 15 years. The axe and lance are relatively rudimentary weapons, with the sword being his 'primary'. He can't do the whole different forms for pugilism, but it's safe to assume most disciples of war would know how to punch things. But I'll be damned if Kale becomes a master conjurer unless he drops his current occupation and spends the next few years at Stillglade Fane.

This is just my RP style; I take a very grounded, counter-Sue approach to everything! Smile If Kale met a skilled marauder who was also a black mage, he'd probably roll his eyes with a scathingly sarcastic remark about how "The Twelve must think you're very special".

As for DoH/DoL, this is very workable, IMO. Botanist+fisher+leatherworker+culinarian+carpenter+weaver and BOOM! You have a woodsman type character! Armorer+blacksmith should be compatible too, imo.

RE: Play ALL THE THINGS! - Avoiding the Mary Sue Trap - Celeste - 02-28-2014

Well, I do encourage you to go ahead and explore the options the other people have presented here as good ones. It seems you are on the right track, anyway.

I would also add that just because your character can do something in-game does not mean they necessarily need to be able to do it in-character. I do like being able to tie in other aspects of my character to mine, but I also recognize that there is only so much I want my character to be ABLE to do... even if I myself play all the things.

As an example, my character is a Brawler. This means that she draws mainly from the Pugilist gear -- and that's all. I don't want her to be a Monk. It's a separate part of lore and story that doesn't fit with her story as a wandering vagabond. I actually makes me slightly alarmed when somebody starts to RP off of her while I'm in my AF2. I have to sputter and go "no, wait wait!" and swap out to my RP civies and feel awkward and ashamed afterward. /)._.(\

So throwing that out there too: just because your character can do things doesn't mean you have to do it in character too if you don't want to.

RE: Play ALL THE THINGS! - Avoiding the Mary Sue Trap - Seriphyn - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 11:52 AM)Celeste Wrote: So throwing that out there too: just because your character can do things doesn't mean you have to do it in character too if you don't want to.

100% this.