Hydaelyn Role-Players
Showing yourself as OOC - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Showing yourself as OOC (/showthread.php?tid=6470)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Roen - 02-25-2014

(02-24-2014, 11:34 PM)Mooncalling Wrote: I would warn against using the busy marker actually.

When you are /busy, the game blocks all tells from reaching you without sending any feedback to the person who is trying to get in touch with you. Nor does it tell you that someone tried to send you a message.

I found this out the hard way.
D: I did not know this! I ran around busy all day! >.<

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Valke - 02-25-2014

(02-25-2014, 03:13 AM)Brynn Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 11:34 PM)Mooncalling Wrote: I would warn against using the busy marker actually.

When you are /busy, the game blocks all tells from reaching you without sending any feedback to the person who is trying to get in touch with you. Nor does it tell you that someone tried to send you a message.

I found this out the hard way.
D: I did not know this! I ran around busy all day! >.<

Yeaaah, I tried this today and found out when my friend tried replying to my tells and couldn't. >: We gonna need to find somethin' else yo. orz

Although, honestly, I just wear stuff my character would never be caught wearing when I'm OOC. And if people don't know, I just tell them I'm OOC.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - xelliexell - 02-25-2014

Haha, look at me, causing a mess of things. Sorry about that!

Does "afk" status also block /tells? Or can you mark yourself with the "Target to Ignore" sign while in cities? 

It would be nice if there were an OoC-specific symbol to place above your name, but these seem like the closest seconds we're likely to get.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Almil - 02-25-2014

Yea I mentioned that earlier too, that Busy blocks /tells.
AFK doesn't block them, that's why I use it instead now.

So if anyone sees me run around with AFK sign feel free to send /tell anyways if you wanna chat!

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Steel Wolf - 02-25-2014

I'm IC at the drop of a hat any damn time.  It's really just a matter of being approached.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Kage - 02-25-2014

I think I'm going to go with "PST for RP. May or may not be IC" until there's a better option (like I get my RP outfit *cough*)

I'm usually doing lots of OOC things for most of the day so I feel putting such a symbol would be problematic but I also do drop things very fast if something is going on. I don't want to accidentally forget to change status xD;

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - xelliexell - 02-25-2014

I've never had a problem with people approaching me ICly while I'm running around OoC, thankfully. Then again, I've mainly just been sticking to RPing with my FC until just recently, so maybe that will change. 
For most of my characters, if I'm running around like a spaz, I'm OoC.  Haii Hai is the exception to this, of course - although I don't really mind if people flag her down whenever since she doesn't have a set outfit and could be anywhere.

If I'm walking (or see other people walking), I tend to assume they are a RPer who's IC. Moogle

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Rinette - 02-25-2014

(02-25-2014, 09:54 AM)xelliexell Wrote: Haha, look at me, causing a mess of things. Sorry about that!

Does "afk" status also block /tells? Or can you mark yourself with the "Target to Ignore" sign while in cities? 

It would be nice if there were an OoC-specific symbol to place above your name, but these seem like the closest seconds we're likely to get.

/AFK doesn't block tells as far as I know. And you only see those markers while in party. Otherwise that would be a great idea.

To contribute to the conversation:
It was nice in Tera Online because guilds had tags that you could turn on and off for your character and everyone would see whether it was on or off according to your settings. So a lot of guilds would use the tag "IC" and you would just turn it on when you wanted and off when you were OOC. Since I get the feelings we wont have addons for a little while it would be nice if SE could incorporate this.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Adolar - 02-25-2014

Maybe it's because I'm not that heavy of an RPer but people approaching me ICly while I'm OOC doesn't bother me too much. Depending on the situation, I might jump right into IC with them or kindly let them know that I'm currently OOC. With that said, I usually try to ask if someone is IC or OOC before attempting to RP with them, unless it's in one of the main RP hubs, or if I already know them well or something.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Xydane - 02-27-2014

I just let people know by /tell. Usually if I'm running and hopping around like a school girl... I'm OOC.

I also tend to schedule my RP sessions as well.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Remnance - 03-07-2014

If your doing the slow walk around an area.  Most will understand that you are in rp mode.  Run Mode around usually means you're busy.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Magellan - 03-07-2014

Maybe its just me, but i'd never assume someone is IC unless I overheard them rping/emoting o:

I had a funny case the other day, in another game, where I remarked to another player OOCly in /say 'oh, what a cute pet!'

Only, they took it as me trying to rp with them, and then accidental rp happened :0) it was fun, except the character I was on at the time never would've said 'oh what a cute pet!'

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Kittycat88 - 03-09-2014

It'd be great if we could get the thing with the names that Lotro have. You have a yellowish name if not in rp, and white when in rp, and to change your status, you just type /rp or /rp off. It's awesome, and I'd love it if we could get it here.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Steel Wolf - 03-09-2014

(03-09-2014, 05:54 AM)Kittycat88 Wrote: It'd be great if we could get the thing with the names that Lotro have. You have a yellowish name if not in rp, and white when in rp, and to change your status, you just type /rp or /rp off. It's awesome, and I'd love it if we could get it here.
Signed on that, no doubt.  That was one of those QoL things that LOTRO did very well.  One of a few it did well, anyway.