Hydaelyn Role-Players
Chatting up the ladies. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Chatting up the ladies. (/showthread.php?tid=7068)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 02:36 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: PM sent.
Thanks. See everyone? It's so easy to avoid these misunderstandings.

Still waiting on yours ruru.

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - LandStander - 05-02-2014

I think if you are concerned with their gender you might be crossing the line between IC and OOC. I notice that some people on both the man and woman side of things will feel odd and uncomfortable when doing romantic RP or something of the sorts with someone they know on the other end is of the sex they are normally not attracted to in their normal lives. I don't think the issue is that wide spread, but I do see it as an issue.

Just be mindful of your actions and pull yourself back if you find yourself stepping over that line. Remember, this is interactions between your character and this other character, not between you and whomever is on the side of the screen. Denn is big jerk IC (she recently purposely knocked a cup of water onto a Lalafell who couldnt reach it on the counter), but really I'm as sweet as a cupcake...filled with wasps..Bomb

I enjoy tavern RP in controlled doses. You can meet new people, get involved in new plots, and really build up social connections. If you are always running around and punching stuff in the face your character becomes a bit bland. 

A great thing my FC leader once said is "if you want people to care about your character, you have to go out there and let others get to know them". If you end up going missing or suffer a tragic accident only your characters friends will really be majorly concerned with this. Its just like life, we don't shed tears for the thousands of people that we hear about in the news, but when it happens to someone we personally know it can break us down. 
So go on with your bad self and RP for a bizzilion hours! That is the goal I am giving you Tongue *starts stop watch*

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Melodia - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 02:36 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 02:36 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: PM sent.
Thanks. See everyone? It's so easy to avoid these misunderstandings.

Still waiting on yours ruru

It says the data size is too big. *ZING!* *drum riff* Laugh

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 02:44 PM)Rurutani Wrote: It says the data size is too big. *ZING!* *drum riff* Laugh

It's ok, we just need to compress it. *Gets Hammer*

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Kage - 05-02-2014

Everyone has said it but it will always be useful to keep it in mind.

iRL gender should not matter especially if you are having fun.

keep the OOC out of the IC. If you do then you wont be worrying about whether or not the character you are romancing is played by someone of the gender you are not attracted to.

What's hard is getting someone to romance a lala. *nods sagely*

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - LandStander - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 03:10 PM)ExKage Wrote: Everyone has said it but it will always be useful to keep it in mind.

iRL gender should not matter especially if you are having fun.

keep the OOC out of the IC. If you do then you wont be worrying about whether or not the character you are romancing is played by someone of the gender you are not attracted to.

What's hard is getting someone to romance a lala. *nods sagely*

*Puts on a nice outfit to go meet Kage for a date. Gets distracted by a butterfly. Never shows up.*

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Rinh Hallani - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 12:52 PM)Dogberry Wrote: Also, it amuses me that so many people hold on to the idea that women don't play MMORPGs. This game has a very large female player base. The old joke about MMORPG meaning Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls is outdated. I can say that recently I've noticed considerable representation across the gender spectrum within many of the MMO's I've played.

Yes, thank you. I'm getting really tired of hearing "lulz no women on the internet". >.>

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Dogberry - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 03:10 PM)ExKage Wrote: What's hard is getting someone to romance a lala. *nods sagely*

C'mere, little guy. I'll show you how hard I can romance a lala.

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Kage - 05-02-2014

See Denn. That's the real reaaon the Sultansworn are after Denn. She keeps standing him up!

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Dogberry - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 03:19 PM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: Yes, thank you. I'm getting really tired of hearing "lulz no women on the internet". >.>

It's funny, my wife maintains a fandom webpage and forum for the Xeno series. Y'know, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade. The fandom, at least as represented by the users on that forum, appears to be predominantly female. They have a running joke that there are no boys on the internet. Many of them have talked about how other spaces they inhabit on the internet women out number men by a decent ratio, and these are forums and boards based around things like gaming, anime, and comics. I've noticed that the specific fandoms and subjects of the boards they use have very strong lead females (The Xeno series in particular has a ton of them, Elly, Miang, Kos-Mos, Shion, MOMO, etc.). Even when this isn't the case, they still make spaces that cater to their particular wants and amusements as it relates to their fandom. Also, when guys on forums say "lelnogrrlzondaintarbutt" it's usually in a space that's pretty abrasive toward women in the first place. So what would any self-respecting nerd do in that situation? Make their own damn sandbox that's much less hostile.

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Ignacius - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 03:52 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 03:19 PM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: Yes, thank you. I'm getting really tired of hearing "lulz no women on the internet". >.>

It's funny, my wife maintains a fandom webpage and forum for the Xeno series. Y'know, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade. The fandom, at least as represented by the users on that forum, appears to be predominantly female. They have a running joke that there are no boys on the internet. Many of them have talked about how other spaces they inhabit on the internet women out number men by a decent ratio, and these are forums and boards based around things like gaming, anime, and comics. I've noticed that the specific fandoms and subjects of the boards they use have very strong lead females (The Xeno series in particular has a ton of them, Elly, Miang, Kos-Mos, Shion, MOMO, etc.). Even when this isn't the case, they still make spaces that cater to their particular wants and amusements as it relates to their fandom. Also, when guys on forums say "lelnogrrlzondaintarbutt" it's usually in a space that's pretty abrasive toward women in the first place. So what would any self-respecting nerd do in that situation? Make their own damn sandbox that's much less hostile.

This is why I married a woman that plays with me.  She runs a healer on FFXIV, has run pretty much every healing and damage class in WoW, but she REALLY loves Diablo.  Seriously, she's in love with her witch doctor.  So when I get home, and I say I just want to put on some pajamas and play some D3, she's already ahead of me.

I have a great life!  Big Grin

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - TheLastCandle - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 05:05 PM)Ignacius Wrote:

This is why I married a woman that plays with me.  She runs a healer on FFXIV, has run pretty much every healing and damage class in WoW, but she REALLY loves Diablo.  Seriously, she's in love with her witch doctor.  So when I get home, and I say I just want to put on some pajamas and play some D3, she's already ahead of me.

Heck, I wish I could get anyone I know to play D3 with me!

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Kimikimi - 05-02-2014

I see my topics are still popular as ever. All this discussion does make it a lot easier on players however since I am still very new to the RP game this is like a gold mine of useful info.

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Ciel - 05-02-2014

RP is about playing a role, regardless of what the player's gender is.  As others have said, it doesn't matter, but some people still get their knickers in a bind because they think it's important.  People like that simply don't get what RP is about, and likely never will.  Ignore them and move on.

RE: Chatting up the ladies. - Ignacius - 05-02-2014

(05-02-2014, 06:25 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 05:05 PM)Ignacius Wrote:

Heck, I wish I could get anyone I know to play D3 with me!
Hey, if you ever see me on (which would assume I'm actually home from work and not on FFXIV or WoW), I'm always happy to include anyone who likes to full clear.

And I mean full-clear.  When the wife and I (and usually a brother or two) play, we sweep every single inch of the level we're on.  We annoy people that want to skip straight to the boss, but when those elite mobs start stacking multiple spells and buffs, they're usually harder than the actual game bosses.

That's something I want in an MMO, random-generated elite mobs where you don't know what you're going to get.