Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Decline of Gilgamesh - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Decline of Gilgamesh (/showthread.php?tid=7508)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Oscare - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 11:50 AM)Ciel Wrote: I've noticed an influx of Gilgamesh people coming to Balmung recently.  If all else fails, come on over.  There's plenty to do and you might find some familiar faces.
Probably the soundest advice I can give you. But that would start to mean that Balmung is the only "dedicated" RP server.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - 岡本 秀樹 - 06-27-2014

Having done endgame on Gilgamesh and minor RPing I think the server is not dead. Really as long as there is still one or two groups of people still roleplaying the server can't die. But the golden age of Gilgamesh RPing is over, I used to see open world RP quite often but (When I last had subs) it was noticeably declining and somewhat quickly. It became where the only RP I saw was at events I would pass by.
These events I imagine were hosted by the RPing free company Giants. The ones who were active on aggressively recruiting people. But with the supposed fall of the RPing giants it is like a ruined mega city with a few RPers of old and new hiding in its ruins. And when you have a few small invisible groups who only RP internally. You can forget there is even a RP community at all. The golden age of RP on Gilgamesh is over. Now the chances of it going into a new era of greatness are there, But it will not be today, nor tomorrow. I believe should this game ever recieve another massive intake of players like WoW Did after Vanilla. Then Gilgamesh has a chance to thrive again. As it still has the appeal of being open range and not having all the rules that need followed if you were to come to Balmung.
So I do not think Gilgamesh as died, or that it ever will. It is simply nothing of what it once was. and is more of a haven for the quiet internal RP. in a nice small countryside town.
Meanwhile Balmung is new york. It is natural people are going to want to go there because I mean... IT IS NEW YORK? But there are people who don't like big cities and will love Gilgamesh.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Saefinn - 06-27-2014

I wouldn't say RP on Gilgamesh is dead, not at all. We've by no means 'rage' quit.

That said, no, the community isn't what it once was, which is fine. People move on. There has been a decline in population for a while and that does affect RP. Whilst there has been some issues, but we did our best to resolve them and we did persevere. We found in the end the best decision for *us* was to jump ship, that said, it's only the best *perceived* decision. Our house and FC still exist on Gilgamesh and we still have alts on there, it could be we actually come to regret the decision, we are well aware of the phrase "the grass is always greener". We could find we hate Balmung so much that we want to pull our hair out.

Quote:I have been trying to recruit for a RP company for MONTHS!! and even with Drift and Wayward and all the others rage quitting over stupid crap (face it.. that's all this is.. stupid and petty crap. It's a game. Play to have fun and ignore the drama unless it's a planned part of the story.), you would think that a RP Company that is trying to start would get a few people from these sinking wrecks... but have I?

FYI, we're not a sinking wreck, as an FC, we're as strong as ever. We're not feeling the need to recruit, it has rarely been an issue for us. We keep ourselves a moderately small FC and keep it cozy. The only time we've had to push a recruitment drive was after Christmas when we took a big dip, but we recovered and have been a comfortable size ever since. We've always picked up our members doing what we do best: RPing and making friends and placing ourselves in parts of the RP community. We also use our OOC LS to join up with all of our friends from other FC's and communicate with our community that way too. Yes, some of the people jumping off of these FC's server jump and I agree the ideal thing is for everybody to continue to support their community, we've been doing that for a long time, but in the end, we've decided to do what we think's best for us. After all, we use the motto "FC comes first".

Drama in Wayward Star is absolutely minimal, in fact, it has been a long time since anybody in the FC has had an issue with another member, because we are relaxed, but where drama has occurred, it has involved people outside and to a degree they can be ignored - though ignoring a problem isn't always the best means of dealing with it. We found 95% of the issues were resolved, but that doesn't change the reasons behind members all wanting to jump. This wasn't a council decision, but a practically unanimous decision of the FC.

I don't think Gilgamesh will die as a community - at least for a while (I wish not to claim anybody's immortal), but at the same time, we felt for us, a move would improve RP for us. I think it is accurate to say that the community isn't what it once was, because so many different faces have come and gone. By no means is it a jab at Gilgamesh, because I have absolutely loved my time there, I don't regret it one bit and I say that to the "I told you so's". I also suspect that the server jump won't be something we regret either.

But in terms of recruitment? I don't wish to be ignorant, but I am not familiar with your FC. I don't know if it helps, but we've kept links through the Coalition/Adventurers Guild LS groups and through different RP events, showcased our RP, invited people into our OOC LS group, been inclusive and invited people to RP on a fairly regular basis, building arcs with people, not just in the FC and it's by these links that we've attracted people into wanting to join, so when a person does move on, it's not a big hit and we can keep a comfortable flow of members. Because FC members comes first and get more of a say in how we do things, so they do gain something by being a part of the FC and get to feel a part of the crew.

Quote:So I do not think Gilgamesh as died, or that it ever will. It is simply nothing of what it once was. and is more of a haven for the quiet internal RP. in a nice small countryside town.
Meanwhile Balmung is new york. It is natural people are going to want to go there because I mean... IT IS NEW YORK? But there are people who don't like big cities and will love Gilgamesh.

I think this is a fair analogy. Gilgamesh you could say was a bigger more bustling town, but is now a nice small countryside town. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. We already are aware of the disadvantages of moving to New York, hence we're prepared.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Val - 06-27-2014

I'll have to agree with what Faye has said. While the RP I've found on Balmung is not always the quality I personally desire, it at least is there and open and you're almost always able to find it. To that end, we've also discussed at length and I thoroughly believe that the RP community, as a whole, is entirely too small to split for whatever reason.

I played during the original days of Warcraft and, quite honestly, you couldn't go ANYWHERE in the world without finding SOMEONE doing public RP. People were walking down the streets, living in some of the houses, guard guilds were doing guard things and there was absolutely no shortage of villains willing to sacrifice themselves for villainy things, and some heroes too!

This isn't necessarily a critique on the RP here as a whole, but it certainly isn't as large as it was then. This is in part due to the RP community being split between various games and interests and whatnot. However, splitting an already small and certainly dwindling community is not going to do anything but make it harder to find RP.

As for Gilgamesh, I can't really say anything on the server as I've never rolled a character there. I do, however, find an increasing number of people I've met being either transfers or rerolled characters from there. Is Balmung better? Idunno, but I certainly enjoy the community it has thus far, however it may be.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Zoetrooper - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 06:17 PM)Saefinn Wrote:
Quote:So I do not think Gilgamesh as died, or that it ever will. It is simply nothing of what it once was. and is more of a haven for the quiet internal RP. in a nice small countryside town.

I think this is a fair analogy. Gilgamesh you could say was a bigger more bustling town, but is now a nice small countryside town. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. We already are aware of the disadvantages of moving to New York, hence we're prepared.

I didn't want to really say anything to that quote but I think you are both wrong. Fair and simple. It's true Gilgamesh doesn't have much of a presence on the RPC, and there are many reasons for that but it is /not/ because we are inactive or 'small town roleplay'. It is generally agreed upon that RPC is not exactly a friendly environment for us because of how people from Gilgamesh are viewed here. This attitude spreads to people playing on Gilgamesh and then they leave because they are told on this site that Balmung is better.

Who's to say one server is better than another?

I do not intend to come off as offensive, so I say this with all due respect, but we see this happen all the time.

No, I understand that completely. This is about the most I've posted on here for a long time.

I wasn't implying inactive at all. The population is smaller, there's not a big open world roleplay - though it does exist - one of the wonderful things about the Goblet is that it is home to many RP FC's - sure Shade & Drift no longer exist and we've packed our bags, but we're not the only presence - Black Sails is another major FC there, for example and the's also Gold.

The idea of a small country town is that almost every family knows one and another. That is a good thing, there has been a lot of cohesion in the Gilgamesh community, everybody's connected to somebody somehow. It's doesn't mean there's less activity, a small country town can be extremely eventful. At least, this is how I understood the analogy.

Quote:Who's to say one server is better than another?

Nobody. They're two different servers with two different communities. It's purely down to what people want out of a server's community.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Nnejo - 06-27-2014

I still love you Saefinn.

Now that's a face I've not seen in a long time. Didn't even know you lurked, one thing Gilgamesh needs again...a burlesque house. Tongue

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Nnejo - 06-27-2014

Heh, that's what I hear. Who knows what the future holds. Cool

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - IRToaster - 06-28-2014

(06-27-2014, 06:47 PM)Saefinn Wrote: ... sure Shade & Drift no longer exist...

I'd like to make a point that Shade is now being led by Russet Rose, and while it did take a hit to their membership, it is still in fact there and they intend to start hosting events at their house.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - ImmoralAria - 06-28-2014

Gilgamesh isn't dead, or anything so dramatic. The shape of the land has just changed  a bit. There are people that want to get into RP - but don't see it quite often. I've been working my tail off running my tavern events and such to get people out there doing stuff again. And will continue to do so with more events in the future.

My guild Gold is pretty much a lot smaller than it used to be, but we're still here and recently got a nice infusion of some fresh blood. There are still new RPers showing up all the time, we've just lost our ability to coordinate them properly with the advent of the housing district. Most of our RP on our server has taken place inside of it - people just aren't making an effort to get themselves out there anymore sadly. Zach and I have hosted events trying to get more RPers back out into the open. And I've seen more new blood because of it.

If the community has been shrinking it's primarily our fault for not trying. And that shouldn't be the case. People are afraid to take initiative because they don't think it's rewarded. My first tavern event had a very paltry show out, and only got busy when I started poking people to show up. My last event had a bunch of people show up and the event ran for 9 hours. Rumors of our death have been greatly exaggerated.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Shizuka - 06-28-2014

There was a Meet and Greet event that went on this evening, it started at 9pm EST, and the last remaining people only just left the event spot at about 2:30am EST. I laid down for a nap because I wasn't feeling well, and came into it about an hour late, and while a few people had left, it felt like the RP was still going strong. Met some new people there, had a real blast! I hope to see more of these casual events going on, since I know that "tavern RP" isn't always everyone's cup of tea. 

I really don't feel like the RP is dead here. It's just quiet, and we need to make efforts as a community to make it more noticeable. Whether that's RPing at NPCs while you're solo, or simply getting together out in the world, anything that allows a random player to see that "Yes! We have RP right here!" is good.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Saefinn - 06-28-2014

(06-28-2014, 01:50 AM)IRToaster Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 06:47 PM)Saefinn Wrote: ... sure Shade & Drift no longer exist...

I'd like to make a point that Shade is now being led by Russet Rose, and while it did take a hit to their membership, it is still in fact there and they intend to start hosting events at their house.

Yeah I just saw their post in the linkshell hall, nice to know they're getting back into it.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Mippa - 06-28-2014

I've been (and still am) out of country for two weeks so maybe I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'd like to point out that summer time typically shows a drastic drop in online-time because people are out and about doing other things.

I'm not going to speak towards the dissolving of Drift, since I think it'd be a disservice to all the other beautiful FCs on Gilgamesh that have made it the RP community that it was, but I think it's inaccurate to say that RP on Gilgamesh is dying by any means. Every RP medium I have participated in the 15+ years of RPing have shown a downward participation during the summer months...be it LARP, IRC, forum-based RP, MMO, Dreamwidth.org games, what have you. 

Things will very likely pick up once school is back in session--for a good chunk of players are college students, teachers, parents, and so on--at least with school out in the States, there's a lot less reliability as far as "online time" is concerned.

There are still players (and companies!) that are working very hard on nurturing an RP community on Gilgamesh. Whether or not you're a part of one of these FCs isn't really the point, but we're not giving up on making this community great for those who choose to stick around. The truth of the matter is, though--no one FC should be left responsible for keeping it alive.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Zoetrooper - 06-28-2014

9 hours of RP. @.@ I love you guys.

I would also like to point out that there are events on Gilgamesh on RPC for the next 3 weeks. I'm sure people will be adding more as well. I'm also certain that there will be events on Gilgamesh that are not on the RPC calendar.

I'm actually considering running a "There's no RP on Gilgamesh Roleplay Event" every couple of weeks as both satire and just as another excuse to get people together and to have a little chuckle.

Just because we don't spam endlessly on this site doesn't mean Gilgamesh is in trouble.

An issue I'm willing to admit with Gilgamesh at the moment is poorly maintained OOC linkshells that are essentially graveyards. If you're calling out in the Coalition OOC A or whathaveyou you are pretty much guaranteed no response. I left those ages ago because they were less than promising but I feel poorly for people still in there. If those hubs are all you see as an RPer that is a bleak outlook indeed.

Gosh I hope this doesn't come off as rude but in the case of Gilgamesh a select few individuals elevated themselves to leadership status in the community and then simply left or stopped caring.

It isn't any one person's responsibility as it was pointed out, but taking charge and then dropping the ball is detrimental.