Hydaelyn Role-Players
What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What to NOT do when roleplaying... (/showthread.php?tid=760)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Kashemia - 09-30-2010

I personally prefer to try to portray my characters thoughts through how she's acting, rather than telling people outright. As someone said, it allows for misunderstandings and I find that more interesting.

I have no problem with people writing our their thoughts, I just prefer not knowing, as I find it create more interesting dynamics and posibilities.
Rather that saying:
"Tommy felt sort of nervous when he looked at the girl, he didn't know what to say", you could say
"Tommy glanced briefly at the girl, but looked down with a blush when she met his eyes. He opened his mouth, as if to say something, but then closed it again."

There's nothing wrong with the first one, I just find the second one more interesting. The example is pretty simple to read what Tommy might be thinking, there could be others where it's more abstract.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I agree that there's a different between what you would write in a book, and in roleplay. I don't think there is a right or a wrong way to roleplay, if you prefer putting your characters thoughts into the roleplay, that's fine, it's your choice Smile I just prefer portraying it in different ways.

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Freyar - 09-30-2010

I've gotten into a bit of trouble with my Linkshell once or twice over this. I do emote thoughts on occasions, feelings as well since they definitely inflect a body stance or (as said before) an inflection that otherwise would be nearly impossible to put into words without delving into a massive amount of mathematics.

The character limit does indeed put a stop to a lot of my attempts to add these to my character's actions, but without the inflected feelings behind the actions and words, the character falls flat and is about as two-dimensional as a character's actual dimensions in Paper Mario.

Is it meta-gaming? Not really, so long as it isn't taken for granted.

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Therese - 09-30-2010

That's all fair points on both ends, really. To be fair, I generally don't express thoughts and preconceptions to others ic-ly (thought I sometimes do oocly). Probably more than anything my objection was more to respond to the idea that "you absolutely should not do this ever period," when in the grand scheme of infractions, that is usually not the worst one.

Really it depends on the circumstances and your audience. Though after reading people's objections here I'll definitely make a point to not share my thoughts of my character quite as easily as I would in the past. >.>

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Satisiun - 09-30-2010

Freyar Wrote:Is it meta-gaming? Not really, so long as it isn't taken for granted.

That, actually, is why I think I took a little more umbrage than normal about it. It's like, "gee, um, so I'm a metagamer now because I'll toss in a smattering of contemplation or narrative which isn't able to be responded to? Uh. Thanks?"

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - DAISHI - 09-30-2010

Sorry, wasn't trying to be surly XD It's entirely obvious to the entire community when I get surly Tongue

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Kraehenfeder - 09-30-2010

Those are all very deep thoughts and most certainly fit to the headline, but didn't it run off-topic a little?

I just felt to inform everyone about the wonderful art piece the Dead Gentlemen created since there were no hits for it when I searched for The Gamers. Geek

And to the topic of the off-topic topic:

I myself try to keep it with actions as well. Not stay inside the skin of my character but rather look at him from a movie camera or a theater's audience point of view.

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Asytra - 09-30-2010

The Gamers was good but I preferred the much more polished (and funny) sequel The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

I saw it on Netflix instant streaming too, but it's also worth a purchase. Hopefully they will make a third movie.

errrr lol. I think we went off the phrase "What to not do when roleplaying"

Big Grin

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Kraehenfeder - 09-30-2010

Asytra Wrote:The Gamers was good but I preferred the much more polished (and funny) sequel The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

Of course the second part is way better ^^
The first one was made as an art project in their school, the second one was made with them already being a small company. The first part is more or less a blended mix of generic things that -do- go wrong in the average campaign XD e.g. the natural 20 or insisting on the ambush roll or stuff like that.

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Therese - 09-30-2010

If I'm reading this right, the original topic was about a video that was funny, which sort of took a serious bend.

It's one big muck-a-muck now, and it's kinda interesting to see where the topic flies off to next. x3

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Tadir - 09-30-2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g

OH SNAPS I got rolled.

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Noelle - 09-30-2010

Tadir Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g

God damn it Tadir! D:

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Kashemia - 09-30-2010

I got copy-righted Sad Stupid Danish laws.

Re: What to NOT do when roleplaying... - Tadir - 09-30-2010

^______^