Hydaelyn Role-Players
Just delete this - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Just delete this (/showthread.php?tid=8056)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Kage - 08-22-2014

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - LiadansWhisper - 08-22-2014

(08-22-2014, 02:49 PM)ExKage Wrote: Because I guess I'm doing this:
(08-22-2014, 12:20 PM)ExKage Wrote: Spend months just waiting along for something to magically change in yourself?

Kage, you have to decide what you really want.

If you really want to do serious progression, you're going to have to make it happen yourself.

I understand being scared - I've been scared before.  But serious, what do you think will happen if you make a mistake?

Even the highest of high-end guilds have members that make mistakes - some on a  regular basis.  I've watched world-class guilds completely fail at what is simple content because one thing led to another and then everything went to hell.

The only people who freak out over mistakes and start yelling about how you're bad and you should feel bad are generally those who themselves are bad.

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Warren Castille - 08-22-2014

The best (and only) raid group I've ever been a part of understood that there's a difference between Us: The Friends and Us: The Raid Group. It's similar if you've ever worked with a friend and one of you had a position higher than the other; When it's work time, we're not friends. And at the end of a shift, we're not co-workers. It's rare to find people who can sort of mesh with that, though.

Case in point: While everyone tries to be as patient as you can while learning mechanics, when it becomes obvious that one person is the point of repeated failure there's not a lot of options. You either tell that person to get it in gear, or you wipe for hours and hours on a mechanic. I still remember praying for Rot to land on someone who knew how to handle it, because even with voice, sometimes your friends aren't really able to do things. It blows. I know I'm the type to yell when I run out of patience, but I'd like to think we got results. I never meant any ill-will at the end of a run, but again, not everyone is capable of compartmentalizing the sort of things that can be said when tension is high, there's work in the morning and you've repeatedly wiped to someone voicing everyone/adds not dying/fight mechanic du jour.

Of course, I say this having raided with one group through several games, and once we split apart I sort of hung up my boots. I'm probably the worst person to listen to on this subject.

Find people you work with, throw yourself at it, and try to stay sane. Raiding is fun when you're successful but it's (for me) highly stressful when it isn't. The ends don't justify the means for me anymore.

That said if anyone wants a tank to kill them repeatedly in new and exciting areas I'm available!

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-22-2014

I agree with Warren to a certain extent. However the new content has a lot of gates to it. If you're past all those gates and attempting or clearing the start of SCOB, you already have the skills to clear the whole thing. The only issue is finding a group somewhere near your skill level, so you don't get frustrated with them, and they don't get frustrated with you.

I think as long as you're honest with them about your skill level, and are willing to accept positive criticism, it can be a pretty fun experience.

For example in T8 I often forget to cast stoneskin on the guy with the homing missle, and he dies :c. Everyone is like NATALIEEEEEEEE..... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. But no one gets mad, and we all laugh about it.

Well I laugh about it.

The dead guy isn't laughing because he's dead.

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Zyrusticae - 08-22-2014

I do kind of want to get into this, but the amount of commitment required and the social barrier (which, for someone with as extreme social anxiety disorder as I have, is a fortress wall for all intents and purposes) makes things extraordinarily difficult for me. Hell, most groups even need specific classes, and I can only gear up two jobs with any level of efficiency in the first place, which further complicates things.

The end result is that I've not even stepped foot into the first Coil, not once, for the reasons above. I just can't be arsed to go through all that trouble for an experience that, frankly, is only a means to an end. I don't even have any performance anxiety, as I have (justified) confidence that I can adapt to any mechanics the game throws at me, but the other problems are simply too insurmountable for someone like me. If only my old guild rolled on Balmung, I probably wouldn't be in this position...

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Berrod Armstrong - 08-22-2014

(08-22-2014, 02:55 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: The best (and only) raid group I've ever been a part of understood that there's a difference between Us: The Friends and Us: The Raid Group. It's similar if you've ever worked with a friend and one of you had a position higher than the other; When it's work time, we're not friends. And at the end of a shift, we're not co-workers. It's rare to find people who can sort of mesh with that, though.

Case in point: While everyone tries to be as patient as you can while learning mechanics, when it becomes obvious that one person is the point of repeated failure there's not a lot of options. You either tell that person to get it in gear, or you wipe for hours and hours on a mechanic. I still remember praying for Rot to land on someone who knew how to handle it, because even with voice, sometimes your friends aren't really able to do things. It blows. I know I'm the type to yell when I run out of patience, but I'd like to think we got results. I never meant any ill-will at the end of a run, but again, not everyone is capable of compartmentalizing the sort of things that can be said when tension is high, there's work in the morning and you've repeatedly wiped to someone voicing everyone/adds not dying/fight mechanic du jour.

Of course, I say this having raided with one group through several games, and once we split apart I sort of hung up my boots. I'm probably the worst person to listen to on this subject.

Find people you work with, throw yourself at it, and try to stay sane. Raiding is fun when you're successful but it's (for me) highly stressful when it isn't. The ends don't justify the means for me anymore.

That said if anyone wants a tank to kill them repeatedly in new and exciting areas I'm available!
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIIIIIIIS.

Also, may poke you at some point since Agent is usually short a tank when we go to die in places over and over

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Antain - 08-22-2014

Kage, if ever you would like to start a static of your own, or help flesh out a semi-existing one, let me know. I have been stuck for quite a while between RP and just farming for glamours *cough* But, I am a BRD (preferred), BLM, and WHM who has cleared first coil and willing to help. Everything else, I'm right with you, learning and wanting a clear. I have a few other friends that if we figured out a good day and time to do thing, would be more than happy to help.

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Hyakki - 08-22-2014

My 'static' (of which remains only three original) has fallen apart multiple times, people show up late/drunk/high or not at all with no notice to the rest of us leading to people leaving out of frustration or they get poached/guilt tripped into joining other statics behind our progression. Due to such misfortunes we've had to rely on PF to fill in the missing roles. I already have terrible anxiety about strangers to begin with and its near crippling with the added pressure of pugs judging my performance harshly and ready to tear me a new one if I slip up.

I want to raid with friends but I'm not a role they need, they already have their own full static or don't have the time for/aren't interested in current endgame.

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - FreelanceWizard - 08-22-2014

If anyone's interested, Mysterium runs an IC semi-static group (by which I mean we have a largely static "pool" of people, but class/role assignment and who goes any night is not fixed) on Friday nights Central time. We're right at 8 people and could use some additional members in our pool. We're supposed to be doing T4 and maybe T5 tonight, and we'll be moving into EX Primals and other stuff like that over time.

That said, the point of it isn't loot/unlock progression, but rather RP and seeing the story. Loot's a nice side benefit and we sometimes rerun stuff for loot while coming up a premise for why. Smile I know it's a bit of a different concept and isn't really a progression static per se, but if our Friday Night Fight Club sounds interesting, feel free to toss me a PM.

EDIT: If you want a more standard PvE raiding group, XI:7's awesome people. Talk to Garryson. Get involved with his static. Smile

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Nebbs - 08-22-2014

On the subject of 
"Tight, Committed, Closed, Ranked Raid groups" 
vs
"Open diverse, part time associated groups"

I have played both, and for pure progression I'd go for the committed group/guild. However, we are RPers and looking for semi-organised PvE. One of the best things I was part of was a Raid association, where small Guilds and Individuals joined and came together for scheduled raid. There were no server 1st's but as someone committed to an RP guild that did not raid I managed to keep up with the end game.

In FFXIV we have linkshells that should make this kind of semi-organised groups work. The few I know tried soon became stale... I'm unsure what the answer is.

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - LiveVoltage - 08-25-2014

Hey, just to let Kage know, I started a T5-9 and EX primal COIL static yesterday and we already have 5 people (including me) one person who can run 2nd COIL, two that need to finish T5 for second COIL and two that need to be brought up to endgame raiding, or are just starting to get into it.

Let me know if you're interested as we need more people to dedicate and fill spot's in and we run on the weekend's so time isn't an issue.

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - Aldotsk - 08-25-2014

(08-22-2014, 02:40 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(08-22-2014, 01:59 PM)Jancis Wrote:
(08-22-2014, 01:49 PM)ExKage Wrote: It's hard finding such group that is willing to put ~2 hours per raid night per 2-3 nights a week... when you don't know who or what to look for or you're completely afraid to.

To be horrifically frank, if someone wasn't in my guild/free company I would not make them core.

Period; no exceptions. The raid group is not that person's priority if they can't be in the guild that talks about it, has forum boards about it, can hear each other on a daily basis, work together, etc. It was too important of a show of commitment.

If someone was showing up as a bench spot consistently I would eventually poach them from whatever nonsense guild they were in.

I realize that sounds terrible. Sorry.

People join Free Companies for a variety of reasons, and on an RP server it is especially common that people are in Free Companies for RP reasons.  There are quite a few progression-oriented players out there who are in FCs with their RP group, but still desire (and in many cases manage) to be in statics that may have nothing to do with their Free Company for the purposes of progression.  I myself spent time before my break in a static formed of myself, one other FC member, and a mixture of friends we met pugging.  And if you say I wasn't "committed," I'm going to laugh in your face.

A better characterization of your position is that you personally don't like taking people who aren't in your Free Company to do serious content - which is a completely valid position to have.  But saying that someone has to be in your Free Company or they're not "committed" to doing serious content is quite frankly ridiculous.

There is a better choice for this issue. Is that you don't join commitment based Free Company or Linkshell. However if you want a serious based progression, then you'll have to take a deep breath and step up your game. It's either serious or casual.

I had been in Death and Taxes from Gilgamesh for two months and it was way too committing for me, and I really really hated tanking Turn 2 regular (non enrage) and Turn 4 - and this was 2.0 time, and they were pushing me to limits. It was not fun. So I took a break from Coil for a while until I moved to Balmung, and I was in RareEX for a short time until I left and made my own FC for RP purposes. If you are in those kind of FC or LS, you are committed to be filled and be prepared even if you don't feel like playing that time. It just is too much and burn out a lot. Sometimes, you just don't have time to RP or spend time for yourself to enjoy. So that's why I have been on a break from raids. 

Kage, 
You can also join Balmung facebook group to ask for casual/serious LS that might let you join them if you want!

RE: Getting into Progression Statics - How to? - LiveVoltage - 08-25-2014

I think the situation depends diffrently from player to player. Hardcore group raiding is for players who have an established friendship across many MMO's and work well together. Thats the only way they can optimize themselves for hardcore raiding.

Casual raiding is the better suggestion for people who want to establish tie's with other player's and get into serious raiding together.

Its a simple solution if you want to become a hardcore raider.

Find players that want to get into hardcore raiding > group up and do causal raiding > overtime, it will progress into a possible friendship and into hardcore raiding if group permit's.

High level raiding is all about patience. You will wipe, ALOT. I have attempted T5 for the past two weeks now and still haven't gotten a clear because of the ridiculous difficulty curb that it has, but I have gotten close, so the name of the game is patience and practice, because we are learning to play the gamer better, not clear it.