Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? (/showthread.php?tid=8115)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - Kellach Woods - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 06:20 PM)LiveVoltage Wrote: Also on another note, I make the distinction that RPer's who dont combat are just talk and character development RPers whereas combat RPers do combat but they also do the same stuff as listed in the combat RPer section.

I sense hostility.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - LiadansWhisper - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 05:52 PM)LiveVoltage Wrote: We were having a good time but as soon as I mentioned that I RPed as a combat character, they suddenly turned viscous on me, called my character a Mary Sue (Which it isn't!) and refused to RP with me.

(08-29-2014, 06:25 PM)LiveVoltage Wrote: You're taking what I said out of context. They never verbally abused me. One guy called a Mary Sue, but I was still not well received by the rest of them just because I RPed as a combat character.

You're free to refuse to edit out the names, but I'm directly quoting you up there.  That's not something that should be posted with names.  You don't have to edit out the names, but it would go a long way towards making you look like less of a tool.  It might also keep your thread from being locked or deleted.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 06:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(08-29-2014, 06:20 PM)LiveVoltage Wrote: Also on another note, I make the distinction that RPer's who dont combat are just talk and character development RPers whereas combat RPers do combat but they also do the same stuff as listed in the combat RPer section.
I sense hostility.

Well he is a combat RPer Cactuar.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - LiadansWhisper - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 06:30 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(08-29-2014, 06:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
I sense hostility.

Well he is a combat RPer Cactuar.

That's racist, Natalie!

...or something.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - LiveVoltage - 08-29-2014

Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.

If someone is going to get upset and then call my character a mary sue for the reasons above and refuse to RP, I have every right to call them on that.

This is not me being angry or hostile, this is me bringing forward an important issue and it need's to be addressed on a large scale instead of being ignored because these assumptions or biased reasons need to be stopped.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - Verad - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 06:33 PM)LiveVoltage Wrote: Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.
No, I wouldn't. Why would I?

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-29-2014

If that's the case Live, why is the name important?

I've made threads similar to this before, but I've never said the name, because the issue was what was important, not calling someone out.

Liadan is right here, and the fact you're so insistently resisting anonymity implies that your real goal is to have everyone know that a certain group of people said mean things to you.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - Kellach Woods - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 06:33 PM)LiveVoltage Wrote: Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.
if someone called my characters a mary sue I'd lol pretty hard actually.Cactuar

(08-29-2014, 06:35 PM)Verad Wrote:
No, I wouldn't. Why would I?

I'd get annoyed.  Dodgy  But there's so many fish in the sea, I'd be like, "yeah, whatever" and move on.  Or at least try to clarify what the other person believed made my character a "Mary Sue."

I wouldn't come to the RPC and post about my private issues with them by name, however.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - LiveVoltage - 08-29-2014

Fine, I guess, you guys do have a point.. but my point still stands. These are things we cant just ignore. We have to encourage people to be more open minded about different RP styles and groups.

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - Melkire - 08-29-2014

Re: that distinction... I don't want to use that term (I hate saying "combat RP") but I find that it is important to have because it distinguishes between the more passive and the more active play-styles/writing-styles/what-have-you.

As a matter of personal preference, for example, I can't abide characters who do nothing but talk, talk, talk. I don't care if your character is going to free some slaves through coin or through a long and grueling legal process, or spend their days jotting down notes and writing new texts on Arcanum, or fight off an undead army of zombies with a holy sword, or run down some footpad who just stole some old lady's purse, or trip and fall because some dubious peddler left his goods lying about in the middle of the street: a character has to live and breathe, IMO, and you can't have that by just standing around and talking all the time. It's why I can't stand tavern RP in anything more than small doses.

So the distinction has some purpose; it's not entirely unnecessary.

Also, what Liadan and the others have said. Keep names out of it, if for no other reason than because a mod/admin will come down hard on this thread if you don't.

(08-29-2014, 06:36 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

I'd go "Damn... you found me out."

RE: Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's? - Verad - 08-29-2014

(08-29-2014, 06:37 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'd get annoyed.  Dodgy  But there's so many fish in the sea, I'd be like, "yeah, whatever" and move on.  Or at least try to clarify what the other person believed made my character a "Mary Sue."

I wouldn't come to the RPC and post about my private issues with them by name, however.

Setting aside the public airing of private grievances (in short, I agree with you), "Mary Sue" is such a broadly overused and misapplied term that I might as well get mad because somebody called me a hipster. It could mean anything.

(08-29-2014, 06:41 PM)Verad Wrote:
(08-29-2014, 06:37 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'd get annoyed.  Dodgy  But there's so many fish in the sea, I'd be like, "yeah, whatever" and move on.  Or at least try to clarify what the other person believed made my character a "Mary Sue."

Setting aside the public airing of private grievances (in short, I agree with you), "Mary Sue" is such a broadly overused and misapplied term that I might as well get mad because somebody called me a hipster. It could mean anything.

I generally interpret it as, "You are doing something I don't like, so I'm going to call you names to make myself feel better."

(08-29-2014, 06:41 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(08-29-2014, 06:36 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

I'd go "Damn... you found me out."
Mary Sue McBeef sounds like a pretty badass name, not gonna lie.