Hydaelyn Role-Players
Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore (/showthread.php?tid=8153)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Ragnar - 09-02-2014

I'm always happy to meet and RP with new people. I can understand how hard it sometimes is to jump into things, it took me awhile to get into things.

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Aldotsk - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 02:55 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I'm not saying that hanging out at a hotspot is a bad way to get into RP, but sometimes a small group or one-on-one scene set up in advance is easier to get into. 

That's one thing, Quicksand is a very good spot for me to start any conversations with anyone. But sometime depending on your alignment and your character's backgrounds - it can be discomforting for the other characters (ICly, not OOCly). But also I try not to rely on Quicksand too much because it will make me feel like I'll be stuck there for the rest of my life. But I am listening to everyone's suggestions and advice very willingly and heartedly. 

Warren and Roen and Askier's suggestions were very helpful too. 

I'd also would like to meet Ragnar in the future when I do run into him. Despite that warrior looking characters always intimidate me xD

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Lan Darklyn - 09-02-2014

Stop by the Harbingers of Dawn estate on Thursdays for our open Tavern night. I am certain you well have no problem meeting some new folks.

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Kellach Woods - 09-02-2014

If nothing else (The tavern's gotten so popular that it's kind of hard to get a word in or interact with people running their own thing if they don't know you - that's my personal opinion however and I could be reading people wrong. I can do that in FGs not so much in social interaction), the 'tenders and Faye will be there to greet you warmly and just how you react to them will definitely help you find your voice.

I'm watching the thread since I'm kind of having problems settling down and RPin' myself.

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Aya - 09-02-2014

The Quicksand is not a black hole, you can come and go as you please ^_^ its just a good place to meet people!

My character works there, and I still don't spend more time there than I want to :-]

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Kellach Woods - 09-02-2014

True, I saw an Aya in the wild pretending to be a Lancer Tongue

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Michelleswain - 09-02-2014

Saw Aya walking around waitressing last night. I tried to say hello, but was too distracted by an RP I was in.

But like others said, F'eora does the same thing. She just randomly waltzes up to the counter and will say something generic like;

"Dis tavern is fulls as always... whew" and then I'll emote:
*Nods acknowledging the others down the counter, beaming them a welcome smile.*

That almost always guarantees I get someone's attention and shortly after a lengthy RP ensues.

The other thing is consistency. Try and show up to the RP hotspot consecutively until you've built a repertoire. Once you have a good stable of RP friends on your list feel free to skip out a bit.

Keep in mind that a reclusive type character (anti-social) doesn't work too well in a tavern setting and seems more fit for a preset RP Guild. Otherwise take notes from movies; Even reclusive anti-social characters still have mannerisms, habits, and dialogue.

Don't be afraid to chum the waters until the alligators bite. Wink

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Gar - 09-02-2014

All the good advice has pretty much been given out, so I thought I'd just offer a couple more connections for you if you're interested.

My FC's OOC LS has RPers in it from a few different groups. Like Freelance mentioned, sometimes just setting something up prior instead of leaving it to chance can get some solid connections.

If you'd like an LS invite, or want to set something up to come meet me and some of my mates, just let me know. Either way, I know finding RP can be a frustrating journey, so I hope you find more of what you're looking for.

I can personally vouch that my RP augmented 200% after joining that group.

So did my iLevel but that's neither here nor there <.<

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - AvalonBright - 09-03-2014

[Deleted]

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Nebbs - 09-03-2014

Don't know what's going?
Haven't got a clue about the detail of the lore?
Hoping to not say the wrong thing?

Then you are in luck! With our simple three step programme you can turn these weaknesses to your advantage. Yes, just a simple three step programme, that's free (send no money now).

Step 1 - Don't Panic. No one else knows what is going on.. honestly. Each person has their view of what is going on but unless it is a scripted story it will vary from person to person. Certainly when you take random people chances are they know little or nothing about the others.

Step 2 - People want to interact. Most people like interaction and would love to tell you some of their issues. All you need to do is find a way to break the ice. You can prepare some opening RP Picup lines if that helps. The point is that many will take the little hook you offer and pull you in, if not just try another person/group. If this still sounds scary, pick on one of those who put their hands up in this topic, or join one of the linkshells or a FC and people will help.

Step 3 - Set your character to confused. All these worries can all be explained away by IC not knowing. You don't have to play a know it all wise sage expert super slick character. You can play the new in town, some what confused, looking for friends type. In fact as people love to explain their plots/story being the sort that asks questions means they do all the hard work. Tip: Ask "open questions" to pull out longer answers.

Practice this sort of thing and you too can gain confidence to do walk up RP, fit into random conversations and get a reputation as someone who is good to chat to.

There is a lot more that could be said but the main thrust is accept you don't know IC and use it.

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - AvalonBright - 09-03-2014

[Deleted]

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-03-2014

(09-03-2014, 11:59 AM)AvalonBright Wrote:
Quote:You can play the new in town, some what confused, looking for friends type.

Therein lies both a solution and a problem for Ashe. Much as I love the RP I'm pretty sad to see how centralized in "Ul'dump" it is. Sad I'm not a fan of the city OOC and Ashe is definitely not a desert kitty either. Hanging around there compared to Limsa or Grid is just not her thing IC, other than some random traveling before leaving again. Which would lead to brief "new in town" communication but not somewhere she's like to pop up long term. She's even only in the Flames just to get that glorious Hunt gear...

Yet I've not seen RP anywhere else really. Certainly not in Limsa or Grid's Adventurers' Guilds, and not even in the Grid Amphitheater like I'd heard was occasionally busy. What led to using Ul'dah as the main hub, of all places? It's just so...drab and brown.

Let's....just keep Ul'dah out of this, because it will be defended and we don't need another thread going down that road. (Please don't bash any of the cities, it only opens avenues to people getting angry). Part of it is because a lot of RPers are already there, so even more join because it's established. Some just like the setting, which isn't for everyone, and for some like me, it's where most of my contacts are, despite that I'd probably like the shroud a bit more.

Limsa and Gridania do have communities, but from what I've heard, they're not quite as open-world as the RP in Ul'dah is. It goes both ways. Only thing I can really recommend is to coordinate with some players and build up a little storyline to follow. If fellow RPers see it, they might join in as well, and then there's a community being built! I can't speak for Limsa, but I am going to be trying to get my character into more of the Gridiania/Black Shroud area more often, since the maps are quite nice.

If there are places in La Noscea and the Black Shroud you like, directing fellow RPers to them with events and threads to use as hooks may help. Smile

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - Kage - 09-03-2014

Something some might have missed in their more general responses to you.

Both Anelia and Ellaria have -contacts-. They may have been out of the "game" so to speak but it sounds like you've come up with good things to keep them up. I've been a little busy and whatnot with recent life changes but Kage knows Anelia. Ellaria may not have put two and two together about that "mage" lalafell with marrow and Natalie but Kage remembers her too!

It's easy to bring you back into the fold. You're a veteran so to speak. Characters will remember you and that can lead to interesting (or not) drama.

((I remember a certain guy getting roughed up by Anelia and taken somewhere to be interrogated. I've seen him about recently too ;p That can make good conversation with Ser Crofte *cough* ))

RE: Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore - FreelanceWizard - 09-03-2014

Yeah, no good can come of arguing over where the RP hotspots are. Sad

RP attracts RP (it's a network externality). This is true on both a large and small scale; when I've been RPing in the Bismarck, I've noticed people run by, then come back, walking, and take a seat, sometimes bringing friends. However, RPing by yourself isn't very effective, so if you want to get RP kicked up in another location, set some stuff up -- whether events or just making a concerted effort for you and some friends to RP publicly in that location.