Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to SCH? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How to SCH? (/showthread.php?tid=8289)

Pages: 1 2

RE: How to SCH? - Tiergan - 09-15-2014

(09-15-2014, 02:55 PM)Kage Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 02:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 02:52 PM)Kage Wrote: Even if the tank wanted to pull the entire first room in bray hm. /stalker /cry

...what's wrong with that ._.;;
That pull did not end well. xD

I'm usually okay with the first entire room of Bray getting pulled as long as: 1) I get a quick heads up.
2) Tank is actually geared enough to pull the entire first room in Bray.
3) I'm not wearing a bunch of spiritbond gear. (Which is why I like the quick heads up. :V)

RE: How to SCH? - Nebbs - 09-15-2014

(09-15-2014, 03:15 PM)Tiergan Wrote: I'm usually okay with the first entire room of Bray getting pulled as long as: 1) I get a quick heads up.
3) I'm not wearing a bunch of spiritbond gear. (Which is why I like the quick heads up. :V)

Worst is tanks not geared or skilled enough expecting the healer to sort it all out.

RE: How to SCH? - Kellach Woods - 09-15-2014

(09-15-2014, 10:52 AM)Kage Wrote: also. why can't tanks dodge coincounter? I don't remember having a hard time with him. :c
plenty of reasons.
1) they're new to the instance and do not know how to handle the 1,000-tonze swipe, the 10,000-tonze swing or the difference between the two.
2) they weren't paying attention
3) they are slowly but surely in the process of learning that not all attacks come with a handy-dandy ground aoe warning

RE: How to SCH? - Kage - 09-15-2014

(09-15-2014, 03:15 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 02:55 PM)Kage Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 02:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 02:52 PM)Kage Wrote: Even if the tank wanted to pull the entire first room in bray hm. /stalker /cry

...what's wrong with that ._.;;
That pull did not end well. xD

I'm usually okay with the first entire room of Bray getting pulled as long as: 1) I get a quick heads up.
I just remembered it didn't go well the first pull and I was sadface. Poor fairy ;p

@Kell: It's bad when you explain 3 times, before and after wipes how to handle it and that swipe you move just behind him and that on swing you gtfo. It just didn't work. T_T

RE: How to SCH? - Kellach Woods - 09-17-2014

sounds like reason #3 - must pay attention to the tonzeage of the attack. I remember the first time I encountered swing, I thought I could just go behind him. Nope.

RE: How to SCH? - synaesthetic - 09-18-2014

Scholar is annoying to heal with before lustrate. Don't hesitate to use your aetherflow charges on Energy Drain if you're running low on MP.

You should not be spamming adloquium. It is very, very expensive. I would normally use adloquium only if I wanted to give the tank some more effective HP (it does get spammy in endgame content, but I never had MP problems on scholar in Coil or EX primals).

RE: How to SCH? - Aduu Avagnar - 09-18-2014

burst heal, without lustrate, for SCH I found tended to be adloquium > Physik > Adloquium > Physik repeated until I didn't need to do it any more. then resort to physik. also, Adloquium is wasted if you spam it, due to the fact that the bubble doesn't get added to, so if you still have time on the galvanize, and you refresh it to max time, you have essentially wasted some of the effective health gained.

RE: How to SCH? - Kage - 09-18-2014

Thanks for the tips!

I've healed Frontlines and a Syrcus Tower and exactly one Hullbreaker isle where I dumped 4 lustrates or so on Franz -_-

RE: How to SCH? - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-19-2014

(09-18-2014, 09:59 PM)Kage Wrote: Thanks for the tips!

I've healed Frontlines and a Syrcus Tower and exactly one Hullbreaker isle where I dumped 4 lustrates or so on Franz -_-

Healer cooldowns are supposed to be used!

RE: How to SCH? - Kage - 09-19-2014

STOP PULLING BEFORE I CAN BUFF YOU

RE: How to SCH? - Titor - 09-19-2014

Everyone here is saying that you should micromanage your pet. I... kind of disagree. Or at least it is my preference not to. 

I think that if I micromanaged my pet, a lot of her healing would end up being overheal. The pet AI is not awful, it seems to heal the lowest target in range, and it uses its abilities as soon as they cool down (I use Selene, so this is probably what makes it easier than using Eos.)

I am a pretty confident standalone healer (Talking about not having my pet out, not having another healer in the party), I do not rely on my pet much to keep people up. I do enjoy having her as a 'backup' healer, say if two DPS get hit by an AoE, she heals one, and I heal the other (Like how the ranged get hit at the same time in t7). Thais actually ends up working pretty well for me. Or if I see a DPS is getting low, but will not likely take damage again in the near future, whereas the tank is getting wailed on, I focus on keeping the tank up while my fairy heals the dps/other low party member. 

This strategy has gotten my pretty far, with a lot of complements on my healing. I have managed to pug up to T7 (which I am pretty sure I can down if I get into a clear group). I am not in a static or anything since I do not like to COMMIT a night to raiding, but I often fill in for statics when they post in DF, and so far I have not received any bad comments or were replaced, so I think this method works for me. Also note that SCH is my main and I just started raiding T5+ about a month ago. I never really had any trouble with any of the primal EX (sans Ramuh, which I had not really attempted yet)

Micromanaging is just not my playstyle, and I think if I did do it I would end up with a lot of overhealing or dead people. I might try it sometime, though, but why fix something that is not broken, really.

RE: How to SCH? - Melkire - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 12:50 PM)Kage Wrote: STOP PULLING BEFORE I CAN BUFF YOU

What Haeden yells in my ear over TeamSpeak every time we phase into Expert Roulette dungeons.

Dear SCHs: your WAR tanks are so sorry for causing you grief. It's just that long pulls are so tempting that the W button calls to us. Must. Move. Forward. ASAP.

RE: How to SCH? - synaesthetic - 09-19-2014

I never micromanaged my pet on SCH except on certain fights. When silencing ADS in Turn 2, or healing single tank Twintania and the offtank during Melusine's melee adds (using the physick+embrace macro). It's not usually necessary. SMN is a different story, of course.

RE: How to SCH? - Phayte - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 12:54 PM)Titor Wrote: Everyone here is saying that you should micromanage your pet. I... kind of disagree. Or at least it is my preference not to. 

Micro'ing really has different degrees of control and contextual uses. For most situations it's completely unnecessary I would say and it really depends on a person's taste. For me, I'm always going to be doing other things besides healing if I can help it and micro'ing really helps.

While the fairy AI isn't bad, I wish you could set the threshold for healing. The absolute HP threshold for it to trigger embrace gets lower and lower as the tank's max HP pool rises, leaving the fairy's idle time wasted. If a tank has 10k HP, the fairy only starts to heal at 8k, If a tank has 20k HP, it only starts to heal at 16k. Extreme case, but there's definitely a gap there where heal would be useful earlier. It just bothers me that the fairy could toss a heal to top off the tank (and not even overhealing) but is waiting for that magic threshold number to trigger it's AI. (If the threshold is wrong, feel free to correct, just giving an example).

Hitting that embrace key by itself in the beginning of a fight might save you a couple heals and other down times when DPS is low or there isn't any spike damage. This is one of the reasons I actually don't macro physick and embrace together.

RE: How to SCH? - LiadansWhisper - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 12:54 PM)Titor Wrote: Everyone here is saying that you should micromanage your pet. I... kind of disagree. Or at least it is my preference not to. 

I think that if I micromanaged my pet, a lot of her healing would end up being overheal. The pet AI is not awful, it seems to heal the lowest target in range, and it uses its abilities as soon as they cool down (I use Selene, so this is probably what makes it easier than using Eos.)

I am a pretty confident standalone healer (Talking about not having my pet out, not having another healer in the party), I do not rely on my pet much to keep people up. I do enjoy having her as a 'backup' healer, say if two DPS get hit by an AoE, she heals one, and I heal the other (Like how the ranged get hit at the same time in t7). Thais actually ends up working pretty well for me. Or if I see a DPS is getting low, but will not likely take damage again in the near future, whereas the tank is getting wailed on, I focus on keeping the tank up while my fairy heals the dps/other low party member. 

This strategy has gotten my pretty far, with a lot of complements on my healing. I have managed to pug up to T7 (which I am pretty sure I can down if I get into a clear group). I am not in a static or anything since I do not like to COMMIT a night to raiding, but I often fill in for statics when they post in DF, and so far I have not received any bad comments or were replaced, so I think this method works for me. Also note that SCH is my main and I just started raiding T5+ about a month ago. I never really had any trouble with any of the primal EX (sans Ramuh, which I had not really attempted yet)

Micromanaging is just not my playstyle, and I think if I did do it I would end up with a lot of overhealing or dead people. I might try it sometime, though, but why fix something that is not broken, really.

Micromanaging primarily has to do with how much control you want, and how much you want to lean on an AI.  Overhealing is not a true concern, because mana is not a true issue for a Scholar.  If you're worried about mana, then something else is wrong, not overhealing.  Mana is only an issue when you don't have any, so I would not worry about running overhealing unless you are having a mana shortage, and even the, I'm still not sure it would matter.  The idea that overhealing is automatically bad and terrible is incorrect.  All overhealing is is overhealing.

I micromanage my fairy because I want to get the absolute best out of her.  Not everyone will want to go to that extreme, and that's fine.