Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character from the Far East? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character from the Far East? (/showthread.php?tid=8689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Character from the Far East? - Verranicus - 10-20-2014

I would honestly think twice before making a detailed character from Othard or the Far East because of how little information we have. If some lore drops that contradicts something you've made up yourself it can lead to complications.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Aldotsk - 10-23-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:29 AM)Rennaix Wrote: With the upcoming release of the Ninja class, I was thinking of making a character who is actually from the "Far East," instead of an Eorzean. I did some searching for lore regarding the Far East, but all I've managed to really find are some scattered mentions in levequests and the Heavensturn event, plus the little description on the Ninja class page saying that they come from the "war-torn lands of the Far East." 

There is very little information and I don't want to break the lore, but I do have a few cool ideas I'd like to incorporate into my character that involve him being from there. What are your opinions on this? Would it be feasible to play a character from the Far East?

(10-18-2014, 11:09 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: So the term "Far East" refers to the Great Continent of Othard, which is (for the most part) conquered by the Garleans. Most recently, refugees from the Far Eastern city-state of Doma have fled Othard and have sought asylum in Eorzea. Now, Doma is far from the only city-state in Othard so it's entirely possible/plausible/believable that your Far Eastern character lived in Othard and now seeks to flee the Garlean occupied continent for Eorzea.

There's a few lore mentions of the Far East I found when I was collecting lore facts and whatnot. If you want I can look back through those and see if I can find something pertinent? Did you have any specific questions you were wanting answered?

Hope this has helped though! ^^

(10-20-2014, 06:32 PM)Verranicus Wrote: I would honestly think twice before making a detailed character from Othard or the Far East because of how little information we have. If some lore drops that contradicts something you've made up yourself it can lead to complications.

What's wrong with making a character? 2.4 is coming out and there will be plenty of explanations from  the Ninja job class about far east culture. You are basically saying that this person cannot make a character early ahead  to gather some basic information to start up their character when there are plenty of information that Doma exists and has some cultural events that happened in Eorzea.

the character can basically say: "I cannot tell you because it is a secret to reveal my culture" because chances are that ninjas are not allowed to reveal secrets anyways. Are you going to be upset because of that? No. Because it literally IS a player's choice whether he/she wants to reveal their character background to others.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Gaspard - 10-23-2014

If you refuse to disclose your characters background, not because 'your character wouldn't, but because you simply can't since you lack that knowledge OOCly, you allow your characters actions to be motivated purely on OOC basis. In that sense, you might be breaking your own character without even realizing it.

A counter-example; If your character establishes trust and becomes involved with another, wherein secrecy becomes an issue, and you're meant to disclose things like that, but simply can't out of OOC reasons, what will you do then? That's where the logic of secrecy based on OOC ignorance comes to a halt rather swiftly.

That being said, no, you should be able to create a Doman/Othard character. But at this point, with the information that we 'do' have, it is smarter to make them Doman/Othard Orphans raised in Eorzea or Garlemald. Atleast there, we have enough lore to substantially explain all the possible hiccups, because your character simply doesn't 'know' Doma / Othard himself, thus cannot render information.

Establishing Characters with a lack of details is only possible if you're clever enough to work around the edges in a logical way. You can get away with almost anything, PROVIDED you render the right explenation AND keep the vybe / feeling lore-like.

However, to simply go 'My character can't say, not because he wouldn't. but because I can't as an OOC player and thus make my character not say it' Isn't the right way to go about it.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Verranicus - 10-23-2014

(10-23-2014, 07:36 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 10:29 AM)Rennaix Wrote: With the upcoming release of the Ninja class, I was thinking of making a character who is actually from the "Far East," instead of an Eorzean. I did some searching for lore regarding the Far East, but all I've managed to really find are some scattered mentions in levequests and the Heavensturn event, plus the little description on the Ninja class page saying that they come from the "war-torn lands of the Far East." 

There is very little information and I don't want to break the lore, but I do have a few cool ideas I'd like to incorporate into my character that involve him being from there. What are your opinions on this? Would it be feasible to play a character from the Far East?

(10-18-2014, 11:09 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: So the term "Far East" refers to the Great Continent of Othard, which is (for the most part) conquered by the Garleans. Most recently, refugees from the Far Eastern city-state of Doma have fled Othard and have sought asylum in Eorzea. Now, Doma is far from the only city-state in Othard so it's entirely possible/plausible/believable that your Far Eastern character lived in Othard and now seeks to flee the Garlean occupied continent for Eorzea.

There's a few lore mentions of the Far East I found when I was collecting lore facts and whatnot. If you want I can look back through those and see if I can find something pertinent? Did you have any specific questions you were wanting answered?

Hope this has helped though! ^^

(10-20-2014, 06:32 PM)Verranicus Wrote: I would honestly think twice before making a detailed character from Othard or the Far East because of how little information we have. If some lore drops that contradicts something you've made up yourself it can lead to complications.

What's wrong with making a character? 2.4 is coming out and there will be plenty of explanations from  the Ninja job class about far east culture. You are basically saying that this person cannot make a character early ahead  to gather some basic information to start up their character when there are plenty of information that Doma exists and has some cultural events that happened in Eorzea.

the character can basically say: "I cannot tell you because it is a secret to reveal my culture" because chances are that ninjas are not allowed to reveal secrets anyways. Are you going to be upset because of that? No. Because it literally IS a player's choice whether he/she wants to reveal their character background to others.

First, that opens a whole different can of worms in regards to actualy roleplaying a ninja when we have no diea what their lore or backstory is like. They could be like PLD or BLM and be something so super rare it wouldn't make sense to RP one.

Second, a character is welcome to say they don't want to talk about their homeland. But my character will call them out on it. He's an author on ecology/geography/Eorzean history, and as such is very interested to meet people from other lands, but he'll laugh in the face of anyone claiming to be from a super secret place only they know about.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Aldotsk - 10-23-2014

So you are just griefing other players to humor yourself to make the unable to roleplay at any possible potentials and make the look feel bad about themselves. Gotcha.

*rolls eyes*

And this is why I started with lancer since ninja lores and samurai lores are still vague. I am pretty sure Far East have archers and lancers anyways if it is assumed that every nations have archers and lancers anyways.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Warren Castille - 10-23-2014

(10-23-2014, 12:20 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: And this is why I started with lancer since ninja lores and samurai lores are still vague.

Until we get to see the actual class content, the lore isn't "vague" it is nonexistent. We know that Yugiri practices the Doman methods of fighting, and we know the Domans practice it, but we don't know anything else. It might not belong to them at all. Yugiri might be "Doman" but she's the only one of her race we've "seen" so far. Maybe it's a racial art taught to the people to defend themselves?

We know nothing about ninja lore except it exists. We know nothing about Doma or Orthard except they exist and Garlemald has conquered them. Making assumptions - even reasonable ones! - is still asking for the retcon cannons to get pointed at you.

On a more general topic: Step lightly if you opt to make someone from these places. We don't know enough about them to establish much.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Verranicus - 10-23-2014

(10-23-2014, 12:20 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: So you are just griefing other players to humor yourself to make the unable to roleplay at any possible potentials and make the look feel bad about themselves. Gotcha.

*rolls eyes*

And this is why I started with lancer since ninja lores and samurai lores are still vague. I am pretty sure Far East have archers and lancers anyways if it is assumed that every nations have archers and lancers anyways.
I don't see how my character pointing out glaring flaws and discrepancies in anothers backstory is griefing. =/ It's his job to be critical and seek knowledge and all we know of the Far East is what Warren said. It's not enough to form the foundations for a character.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Hyakki - 10-23-2014

Having a Doman/Far-Eastern character does not automatically mean the player is a naruto wannabe tryhard snowflake, which seems to be the assumption and main source of hostility towards anyone choosing to roleplay as one.

There are Doman roleplayers with humble origins, such as farmers, craftsmen or service types. I myself am one of those. Extensive lore is not needed to support such backgrounds and they can be easily adjusted as more becomes available.

There's no need for the meddling and forceful 'advice' of outside parties. Let the player discover any flaws and holes in their concept on their own. If they are happy with things as they are, who are you to tell them their way is the wrong way? If you disagree with a concept, nobody is twisting your arm to accept and interact with the character. You are free to choose not to acknowledge them if they do not play by your rules.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Warren Castille - 10-24-2014

Devil's Advocate is my favorite game.

If a character claims to be from Doma, or anywhere not-Eorzea, really, and someone then goes on to ask them about their homeland... There's no real answer to be had. You can't talk about capital cities, you can't talk about landmarks, you can't discuss the layout or map or anything.

Granted, someone could simply fabricate fluff bits to explain it, but the person in question with these criticisms is specifically playing a history buff and would want to know these things! The sites of great importance, the rich history of a new culture. There's nothing wrong with asking these sorts of things of someone claiming to be from the place.

The fact none of those questions have answers right now is the disconcerting part. It seems (SEEMS, mind you, I'm not finger pointing at anyone except a strawman) that a lot of people latched onto Doma (and ninja, and SAM, and DRK, and <insert thing not even in the game>) not for the lore aspect of it (It can't be for the lore, said lore doesn't EXIST yet) but for the "I'm now a unique snowflake" aspect of it.

Tangentially related, I know three people all playing the same class that isn't in the game, and they all have their own headcannon as to what it is / what it does / where it came from.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Aldotsk - 10-24-2014

Well to be fair... There are still those who say they had been living in Ala Mhigo and moved over from there, and it's hard to describe what that place really looked like too. This applies to Garlemald too.

So most of these hidden lands are yet to be unveiled and we are indeed ending up playing devil's advocate and just go along with it for now.

Chances are that Doma is probably exactly what Japan's Edo era was (Oda reign). But that's just my grain of salt and I've decided to play with it.

RE: Character from the Far East? - allgivenover - 10-24-2014

To be clear, no one here is trying to dictate others RP or say that someone "can't" do it. What people are advocating is to consider that it might not be the best idea or to be careful about it.

Even Rakka'li would be curious about Domans and ask questions that can't be answered without being ridiculously vague, and he is no scholar. He would only be curious like anyone else.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Berrod Armstrong - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 09:40 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: Well to be fair... There are still those who say they had been living in Ala Mhigo and moved over from there, and it's hard to describe what that place really looked like too. This applies to Garlemald too.

So most of these hidden lands are yet to be unveiled and we are indeed ending up playing devil's advocate and just go along with it for now.

Chances are that Doma is probably exactly what Japan's Edo era was (Oda reign). But that's just my grain of salt and I've decided to play with it.
Actually! There's concept art of Ala Mhigo from before the occupation, and several sources describe it as being mountainous and a bit cold. There is a LOT of lore on Ala Mhigo if you know where to look for it -- including its history, its kings and its people. 

There's also footage of modern-day Ala Mhigo in one of the early level cutscenes, where we see a hangar in a castrum. As someone who plays an Ala Mhigan, I dug up and uprooted everything I could find on the place. While it is spread out, it's -there-. I actually have a document at home named "LOL ALA MHIGO" With everything I've found so far. 

It's a bad comparison. Garlemald however, is a decent one.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Warren Castille - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 09:40 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: Chances are that Doma is probably exactly what Japan's Edo era was (Oda reign). But that's just my grain of salt and I've decided to play with it.

That's blind optimism and hopes, nothing more. Aside from a couple of vaguely-japanese-sounding-names there's not a single thing to dictate what Doma is going to be like.

You DO realize it was conquered by Garlemald, right? You know what conquering civilizations tend to do to the old cultures, right?

RE: Character from the Far East? - Berrod Armstrong - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 09:49 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(10-24-2014, 09:40 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: Chances are that Doma is probably exactly what Japan's Edo era was (Oda reign). But that's just my grain of salt and I've decided to play with it.

That's blind optimism and hopes, nothing more. Aside from a couple of vaguely-japanese-sounding-names there's not a single thing to dictate what Doma is going to be like.

You DO realize it was conquered by Garlemald, right? You know what conquering civilizations tend to do to the old cultures, right?
When Nero outed the spy in the Ala Mhigo scene, he asked him where he was from. The spy said, "Othard, milord!" ('Oh-thard, mee-lord'). That accent didn't sound remotely Japanese.

Though, Since Doma is just a small part of Othard, that poor fellow could have been from elsewhere on the continent. It just goes to show how much we -don't know- about there.

RE: Character from the Far East? - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 09:49 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Lore panel at Fanfest kinda competed with that. While the Garleans would off the leaders, they led us to believe that the Garleans mostly kept the culture the same, just under new leadership. Keeps the conquered people "happier". Let's not forget the Garleans would tryto sway them with words first, actions second, and violence last. The exceptions to that seem to the be a certain Legatus who liked killing people (Nael) and one that conspired with the Ascians (Gaius).