Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Restriction Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung Restriction Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=9805)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - allgivenover - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 10:27 AM)ReforgedWoodenSword Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:13 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 03:26 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: As I've said before, they really need to fix this before the expansion, with all the Au Ra alts that people are going to want to make (and the player pickup on an expansion release).

I... hadn't thought of how the Balmung restriction might will still be in effect come Heavensward and severely limit AuRa creation. 

Best possibility I've read about AuRa and Heavensward in regard to RP in days, not even being sarcastic, I hope it stays locked.
So...you're hoping new character creation stays locked throughout the release of the expansion...?

Yes, anything to stop people from ruining AuRa the same way they ruined Miqo'te.

I know it's a controversial opinion and perhaps a bit mean-spirited, but after a year and a half of polarizing lore, man-hating futa covens, and Hyur characters wearing cat ears and a tail, I'm done. The fewer AuRa the better.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - tektor - 01-27-2015

Can one ever get on to Balmung?

I tried, but got on to Gilgamesh, I am a returning player wanting to play it for rp more or less.

is it worth keep fighting to get onto Balmung or is Gilgamesh supported well for rp?, as far as I can see here on site some cooler events is on Balmung

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Warren Castille - 01-27-2015

I bring hope!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/f364272dc7c705f60efe818c78ec8998c41332a0

Quote:At the following time, in order to accompany patch 2.5 hotfixes, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*The World Transfer Service will be suspended 15 minutes before maintenance begins, and will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

*Please be advised that you will be unable to make reservations for Ceremonies of Eternal Bonding from the time maintenance ends until Jan. 30, 2015 1:00 a.m. (PST).

[Date & Time]
Jan. 28, 2015 11:00 p.m. to Jan. 29, 2015 2:00 a.m. (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Ritual - 01-27-2015

^ Both servers are active, though from my experiance Gilgamesh is very FC RP based and Balmung is a lot more public and easier to find, Balmung is the harder one to access though the RP is a lot more readily available.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Ritual - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 10:54 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I bring hope!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/f364272dc7c705f60efe818c78ec8998c41332a0

Quote:At the following time, in order to accompany patch 2.5 hotfixes, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*The World Transfer Service will be suspended 15 minutes before maintenance begins, and will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

*Please be advised that you will be unable to make reservations for Ceremonies of Eternal Bonding from the time maintenance ends until Jan. 30, 2015 1:00 a.m. (PST).

[Date & Time]
Jan. 28, 2015 11:00 p.m. to Jan. 29, 2015 2:00 a.m. (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

You're a beautiful man Warren ; ;.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kinono - 01-27-2015

(01-26-2015, 05:34 PM)Enzo Wrote: I still don't really understand why Gilgamesh can be open, with a population 9/8ths bigger than Balmung and Balmung remain closed...

I can't say for sure, but I imagine Balmungs population, if smaller, is a bit more global and therefor on "around the clock" causing us to fail that "is the server dead enough" check.

Off-topic, but I love your avatar. My lala here was named after Kino and her chcocobo is named Hermes and I'm the type of person that is normally really against naming characters after anime too. Absolutely fantastic show.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Kage - 01-27-2015

I thought the Balmung population still is "big" because there was a time when people from 4chan moved over.

Combine that with the fact that it is legacy so when the worlds were merged you had an existing population that then got friends and such in.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Bopdoot - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 10:30 AM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 03:26 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: As I've said before, they really need to fix this before the expansion, with all the Au Ra alts that people are going to want to make (and the player pickup on an expansion release).

I... hadn't thought of how the Balmung restriction might will still be in effect come Heavensward and severely limit AuRa creation. 

Best possibility I've read about AuRa and Heavensward in regard to RP in days, not even being sarcastic, I hope it stays locked.
So...you're hoping new character creation stays locked throughout the release of the expansion...?

Yes, anything to stop people from ruining AuRa the same way they ruined Miqo'te.

I know it's a controversial opinion and perhaps a bit mean-spirited, but after a year and a half of polarizing lore, man-hating futa covens, and Hyur characters wearing cat ears and a tail, I'm done. The fewer AuRa the better.

Lolwat? Hyurs wearing cat ears?  Is that an actual thing? o.O

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - FreelanceWizard - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 11:21 AM)Bopdoot Wrote: Lolwat? Hyurs wearing cat ears?  Is that an actual thing? o.O

I think that's a reference to the fact that there are a lot of miqo'te characters that aren't informed by (or hew entirely to, depending on who you ask) their racial culture; they're essentially being played as hyur who happen to look like miqo'te. Whether this is bad or incompatible with lore is a topic on which there's some debate.

That said, I wouldn't put it past some people to say their miqo'te is actually a hyur wearing cat ears and a tail...

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - tektor - 01-27-2015

Any Eu players on Gilgamesh? Wink
just want to know If I can just settle down there now I got a toon on it.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Alothia - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 11:35 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 11:21 AM)Bopdoot Wrote: Lolwat? Hyurs wearing cat ears?  Is that an actual thing? o.O

I think that's a reference to the fact that there are a lot of miqo'te characters that aren't informed by (or hew entirely to, depending on who you ask) their racial culture; they're essentially being played as hyur who happen to look like miqo'te. Whether this is bad or incompatible with lore is a topic on which there's some debate.

That said, I wouldn't put it past some people to say their miqo'te is actually a hyur wearing cat ears and a tail...

The sad thing is that some of us made our characters before this lore was released. Holding that against people who play their Miqo'te that way is just as bad as yelling at people who play seeker males to lore.

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Naunet - 01-27-2015

(01-26-2015, 05:34 PM)Enzo Wrote: I am a bit contested on how SE does their servers. On one hand, I have played a LOT of MMORPGs. And while I have fairly nice internet and a fairly nice computer, I have always encountered some problems or a slight lag when playing the game at times. But with FFXIV? I encounter flawless servers that would probably keep me on the game even if my internet went out or something. I don't know how they keep such good connection while other even bigger games fail to.

Funny you say this, because random disconnects and crashes are an extremely common complaint about XIV...

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - FreelanceWizard - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 12:59 PM)Alothia Wrote: The sad thing is that some of us made our characters before this lore was released. Holding that against people who play their Miqo'te that way is just as bad as yelling at people who play seeker males to lore.

Agreed 100%. IMO (and with apologies for straying off topic here; we could and have had a whole thread on this Smile ), it's not really fair to expect 1.0 players to remake their characters given what amounts to a major retcon -- especially since there's also the whole "adventurers are a different lot than normal Eorzeans" angle to consider, too. A miqo'te adventurer is probably going to act a lot differently than a miqo'te still in a tribe, just as a miqo'te born and raised in a city-state is going to have a different view on the world than one from Forgotten Springs or deep in the Shroud. Personally, I don't see this as a lore debate, really, but rather an opportunity for social conflict.

Au Ra are a bit of an interesting case, because presumably (other than Yugiri), they're going to be new to the city-states, so their cultural elements are going to be a lot more important -- assuming, of course, we get some lore in that regard. Smile

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - C'kayah Polaali - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 10:30 AM)allgivenover Wrote:

Dude, I don't know who you're RPing with, but it sounds like they're the wrong Miqo'te...

RE: Balmung Restriction Discussion - Flickering Ember - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 12:59 PM)Alothia Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 11:35 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

The sad thing is that some of us made our characters before this lore was released. Holding that against people who play their Miqo'te that way is just as bad as yelling at people who play seeker males to lore.

I don't understand how someone could come to that conclusion, even without racial lore.

There are a lot of gaps in racial lore so assuming/making your own fanon seems to be necessary if you want to play a traditional member of your race but be able to expound on your character's history.

Not everyone plays to lore, but if you do, I think it is expected to go back and change notes about a character as new lore makes some assumptions/fanon obsolete. Otherwise, you are not playing to lore.