Hydaelyn Role-Players
Post here if you want to be a brat - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Post here if you want to be a brat (/showthread.php?tid=9690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 04-14-2015

A return to coding gripes today.

I've mentioned plenty on the issues of wrangling this code and getting it to work. We have basically something that does what it needs to at this point, with a couple cosmetic changes and one new function to add and it should hopefully be done and off the table.

I just get irritated when the other coder asks me why something isn't working and won't take "I don't know" as an answer. He changes something in my code to fit something he wants to add and then I have to retrace the steps to find out what's wrong. It's not my code, so I'm not that familiar with it - and I get frustrated enough when it's not doing what I want as opposed to also trying to figure out what HIS code did to it.

It's also doesn't help that he seems to ignore or not understand my suggestions when it comes to what to do (warning, minor technical stuff to follow!). He added a list to a user creation page that I had finagled together and I told him that he should use a separate stored procedure for it and then do a loop function to check and then add each highlighted item in the list with said SP to the cross-reference table.

Oh no no no, he'll just add it to my save SP that just stores text field data. And his list-grab code just repeatedly overwrites the the previously stored list item information with the new one. And thus only saves the last item on the list to the xref table when the SP is called. Shocking. Fortunately, I managed to somehow explain to him what was happening and he wrote a proper code and corresponding SP to add the information (along with how to handle updates to the list since he didn't apparently think of that).

I just got reminded of this because of one of the changes he made that I noted. There's a field on a page that's supposed to supersede a drop-down list if you write in it (basically, the ability to provide your own information if what's in the drop-down doesn't match). And I almost got into an argument with the guy explaining that it's just there for report purposes and it shouldn't add to the drop-down list because that was explicitly stated to be the job of the administrator. It ultimately ended with him saying we should talk to the PM about it... who I'm HOPING will agree with me and not suggest some overly convoluted alternate method to the basically cut-and-dry approach I'm trying to provide. Sad

At least I've made all the fixes and updates to my sections that were requested. All that's left is the new functionality and the changes to HIS stuff. Which will be... fun, as you can very well guess. Frustrated

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-18-2015

.....,.......there are no words ._____________.

[Image: FS4rceb.jpg]

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kellach Woods - 04-20-2015

So I have a problem with my bathtub - handle's broken, won't come off, there's a slow trickle of water flowing that I can't stop since I got no idea where the valve to cut off the supply is to that part is. I already called the landlord.

If I could remember the building's caretaker's number I'd call him directly because he's much faster.

The problem is because there's running water I can't just leave here.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 04-23-2015

A bit of a possible "feel entitled" complaint here. The company I'm doing work for has blocked the RPC from being viewed on their machines. You can still use emails, you can still YouTube, you can still look up your sports scores and (possibly, I haven't checked since I don't use it) Facebook. But browse the RPC? Nope, blocked.

... It upset me far more than I thought it would. Though, that could be in combination with more work-related irritation regarding the project I've posted several times about. Wee.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Desu Nee - 04-23-2015

(04-18-2015, 06:02 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: .....,.......there are no words ._____________.

[Image: FS4rceb.jpg]
I never knew 50 Shades of Grey had anatomy tones.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kellach Woods - 05-06-2015

6 hours overtime tonight (I literlaly just got home)
on top of 2 days weekend overtime

on top of it's been overtime for like 4 fucking weeks already.

and WE'RE JUST THE HIRED HELP.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 05-07-2015

I'm about at the end of my rope with my contracting company, and for the dumbest thing: timesheets.

You see, my contracting company contracted me out to ANOTHER contracting company that has the job position. So I'm sub-contracted to this company for the purposes of this job. This company has a 15-day timesheet. So, I record my clock -ins and clock-outs for 15/16 days (depending on if the month has 30/31) days, and then it is turned in to be signed so I can forward it to my "actual" company.

This was fine until a few months ago when my "main" company switched over to a new timesheet system. Which they have as weekly. As in, they want you to put in your times with valid documentation attached every week. See the issue?

It was fine at first, though. I'd just get the automated warning about turning in my timesheet or risk having my paycheck delayed. Fine. Delete it, move on, and submit two timesheets at a time once I had my bi-monthly timesheet.

Starting about... a month ago? Apparently the timesheet people felt that letting the automated system do its thing and being, you know, patient wasn't enough. So I'm getting near daily calls and messages left on my phone and in my email about submitting my timesheets.

Oh, and forget about just taking what I have so far of my timesheet and submitting that. It's not signed, so it's not a valid source of documentation. Wee.

So, I finally - in the middle of my work day no less - answer one of these harassing calls and basically lay into the lady on the other end who's been bothering me for a week straight. I CAN'T submit a timesheet because the company I'm working for is BI-MONTHLY and not WEEKLY. You have to WAIT, and I will put it in when I HAVE the timesheet.

Either she doesn't understand the words coming out of my mouth, or just doesn't care... since she just offers an "alternative" of enter the times in, but not submit. I relent and do so. Someone on the other end forcibly takes in the timesheet... and then rejects it because of missing documentation. Smart.

So, just recently, I put entered but did not submit the last week's timesheet with a note blatantly stating that I don't have the documentation for it due to the difference in the timesheet systems. I don't have documentation about Friday's times because we crossed into MAY then, and at the company I'm sub-contracted out to, that's the start of a new timesheet (which I will not have a signed copy of until the 15th).

And just now? I got a message on my phone that I need to submit the timesheet. From the same lady who told me to enter and not submit if I don't have full documentation because "that'll be fine." I'm just waiting for it to get snagged again and then rejected because I don't have documentation for the 1st. Documentation I mentioned IN THE NOTES that I will not have until the 16th at the earliest.

I wish I could reach through my phone and strangle this lady until she understands. Frustrated

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Aduu Avagnar - 05-08-2015

Not that a lot of you probably care (not being of the UK persuasion) but I need to get this off my chest.

How, and why can people conceive that the Conservative party, can be trusted with leading this country for another 5 years? They have wrecked havoc with the NHS, borrowed more than the labour governments, have not cut the deficit as they promised, held up none of their pre 2010 election promises... yet people are still voting for them left right and centre.

It is just mind boggling to me that the populace seem to think that another 5 years of them is a good idea. the working class people suffer whilst the rich get richer. They complain and then vote for the people that caused it.....

Anyone want to hire a british person to be an aux pair or something? cause I want out of this place.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Meena - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 12:56 AM)Nako Wrote: Not that a lot of you probably care (not being of the UK persuasion) but I need to get this off my chest.

How, and why can people conceive that the Conservative party, can be trusted with leading this country for another 5 years? They have wrecked havoc with the NHS, borrowed more than the labour governments, have not cut the deficit as they promised, held up none of their pre 2010 election promises... yet people are still voting for them left right and centre.

It is just mind boggling to me that the populace seem to think that another 5 years of them is a good idea. the working class people suffer whilst the rich get richer. They complain and then vote for the people that caused it.....

Anyone want to hire a british person to be an aux pair or something? cause I want out of this place.
because the majority of english politics is mostly conservative.

Its the Scotts who are historically more lenient and democratic..

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Aduu Avagnar - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 02:57 AM)Meena Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 12:56 AM)Nako Wrote: Not that a lot of you probably care (not being of the UK persuasion) but I need to get this off my chest.

because the majority of english politics is mostly conservative.

Its the Scotts who are historically more lenient and democratic..
I would disagree that the majority of english politics is mostly conservative... otherwise we wouldn't have had periods with a labour majority...

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kellach Woods - 05-08-2015

i'd welcome you to canaderp but, you know.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Cato - 05-08-2015

What concerns me the most is that so many people went against UKIP based on the idea that they're 'racist' and against the EU. Yet the Conservatives - a party that has actual blood on their hands - are once again in power. It's ridiculous.

Once again they'll likely be targeting the most vulnerable in society for yet more brutal cuts whilst evading any and all accountability in the process. 

To their credit, though, they have the mainstream media on their side. I don't particularly like any party but I noticed that Labour and UKIP were painted in a very negative light by the media whilst the Conversatives weren't - despite being the driving force behind much of the suffering going on throughout the country at the moment.

What's worse is the Liberal Democrats aren't involved at all this time around so it may end up being even more dire.

/sigh

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Reshie - 05-08-2015

Honestly, I'd invite you out here to the U.S. but we end up going through the exact same thing. Unfortunately, neither party is really "better". It's all about the money and not the people that should be represented put first. That being said, if I could afford to pay someone else a salary, I'd hire you! We have a spare room and animal babies! Only cute and fluffies here!

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Alothia - 05-11-2015

Mod Note: So, I'd just like to say that the moderator team took a minute to look over the last few posts in this thread. We have removed the last string of posts because, whether intentional or not, it bears a resemblance to an incident that we were informed of yesterday. In order to maintain a level of neutrality on the whole situation, we are simply moving those posts from this thread. No one is being warned or reprimanded for them. This is simply a move to make sure that the posts aren't taken in such a way that could stir up misunderstandings. Thanks guys. Keep on keepin' on. Thumbsup

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kage - 05-11-2015

NOT KEEPING YOUR BODY FIT IS A BAD IDEA.

GETTING ON A BICYCLE AFTER HAVING NOT RIDDEN ONE IN OVER A DECADE IS AND EVEN WORSE IDEA.

I STILL THINK I'M SITTING ON A BICYCLE SEAT @_@