Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Oli! - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 12:02 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 12:00 PM)Oli! Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 11:57 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: All aside from the tail and horn, I personally like both races in their structure. It still followed the JRPG/Japanese player appeal comparing to Western style RPG structure. (In fact, many Japanese players still are not huge fans of Western RPG games due to the way they look. 2ch was trash talking about DragonAge: Inquisition about how ugly characters looked).

This game was to appeal JRPG fans and mostly Japanese players and Western players who appreciate Japanese anime type of looks... but with actual promised legit proportions. (Unlike PSO2/Boobs and Soul).

This might actually be less of a visual difference and more of a gameplay difference.

Skyrim, one of the most Western-Looking things out there (and arguably kind-of ugly looking in general when unmodded) was apparently the first western game ever to get a perfect score from Famitsu.

And that's a big deal.

That's debatable. Skyrim from Famitsu had a high rating because of the PC version and most fans in Japan already bypassed the coding to alter their character models (Lightning from FF13 ie.) - and most of the Japanese players do love their games that they can alter the models in games. (Technically FFXI .DAT model modifications were also founded by Japanese too anyways)

My understanding is that the reviewers reviewed the base game, which would make all of that irrelevant.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

Books. Covers. Something...?

(12-23-2014, 12:04 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Books. Covers. Something...?

Something something HASTY JUDGEMENT

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Oscare - 12-23-2014

Grade-A belly rolling.

Also, the purely default look (in reference to Kismet's post) is used to display the race in it's barebones detail. They're probably implementing their options as we speak.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Aldotsk - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 12:04 PM)Oli! Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 11:57 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: All aside from the tail and horn, I personally like both races in their structure. It still followed the JRPG/Japanese player appeal comparing to Western style RPG structure. (In fact, many Japanese players still are not huge fans of Western RPG games due to the way they look. 2ch was trash talking about DragonAge: Inquisition about how ugly characters looked).

This game was to appeal JRPG fans and mostly Japanese players and Western players who appreciate Japanese anime type of looks... but with actual promised legit proportions. (Unlike PSO2/Boobs and Soul).

This might actually be less of a visual difference and more of a gameplay difference.

Skyrim, one of the most Western-Looking things out there (and arguably kind-of ugly looking in general when unmodded) was apparently the first western game ever to get a perfect score from Famitsu.

And that's a big deal.

That's debatable. Skyrim from Famitsu had a high rating because of the PC version and most fans in Japan already bypassed the coding to alter their character models (Lightning from FF13 ie.) - and most of the Japanese players do love their games that they can alter the models in games. (Technically FFXI .DAT model modifications were also founded by Japanese too anyways)

My understanding is that the reviewers reviewed the base game, which would make all of that irrelevant.

My understanding is that while there are majority people who appreciate what's given to us, there is always those who are unappreciative with what's given to us and are annoyed by it. But in the end it's always about 80% appreciative people and 20% complaining people and the developers disregard 20% people because most of them will always be nitpicky about it. Just like my point that I said about 2ch people. :p

(12-23-2014, 12:07 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:

And that's a big deal.

My understanding is that while there are majority people who appreciate what's given to us, there is always those who are unappreciative with what's given to us and are annoyed by it. But in the end it's always about 80% appreciative people and 20% complaining people and the developers disregard 20% people because most of them will always be nitpicky about it. Just like my point that I said about 2ch people. :p

I don't really understand how that translates to the idea "maybe Japanese people aren't 100% hung up on aesthetics literally all the time every day" but ok.

Also I reserve my right to nitpick as a RED BLUDDED MURRICAN

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 12:07 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:

And that's a big deal.

Not to mention, when the nitpicky people are just caustic, short and generally impolite, there's really much less appeal to cater to them! It's sadly a trend on the anonymous interwubs.

(12-23-2014, 12:10 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Not to mention, when the nitpicky people are just caustic, short and generally impolite, there's really much less appeal to cater to them! It's sadly a trend on the anonymous interwubs.

Even if Au Ra were not being released and Viera was good to be true, we'll have another complaints about how dainty they are. 

oh and also male Viera might not even have those pax on their abdomen.

I don't really think it's all that nice to say that people are nitpicking and therefore unappreciative when they don't like something.

I appreciate the fact that I have a game and a lalafell in a Gandalf hat.

At the same time, I personally do not like the design of the new race. I don't think I've actively told people they should not like the new race either.

I dunno. That doesn't seem right to me.

(12-23-2014, 12:09 PM)Oli! Wrote: I don't really understand how that translates to the idea "maybe Japanese people aren't 100% hung up on aesthetics literally all the time every day" but ok.

Also I reserve my right to nitpick as a RED BLUDDED MURRICAN

We Asian people actually like stereotypical white sexy girl with modeled body, or just cute looking girls.

*looks at Miqo'tes*

In all honesty, I play female characters a lot and I do prefer aesthetically beautiful girls fighting in brutal battlefield. So that's just me. I am okay with Au Ra female being dainty. But I would not judge on a race over 30 seconds clip of just showing the pre-designed character without showing any hairstyle/tail/color/face options.

(12-23-2014, 12:13 PM)Oli! Wrote: I don't really think it's all that nice to say that people are nitpicking and therefore unappreciative when they don't like something.

I appreciate the fact that I have a game and a lalafell in a Gandalf hat.

At the same time, I personally do not like the design of the new race. I don't think I've actively told people they should not like the new race either.

I dunno. That doesn't seem right to me.

I wasn't really directing it specifically to you or to anyone in here, and if it seemed like that - I am sorry.

But it is true that developers usually brush off lot of customers/players who have small ratio of complaints because it seems like it's not a big deal to them.

*I don't really like cat people as much but there are majority who like them. It's just like that :p*

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Iex - 12-23-2014

On the internet often the loudest may be in a minority. However, it is my theory, see my previous numbers post, that basically SE created a race whose appearance was traits combined of the three most popular races.

Hyur
Miqo'te
Elezen

Only by using the raw data from population on the servers can they get a relatively unbiased opinion of the general interests of the public. It isn't 100% accurate of opinions, but it is the closest they can get to giving both vocal and quiet players of the game what they want.

It is obvious that not everyone likes the new race appearance, but they are adding on top of the five races we already have. A sixth option that will appeal to folks... they aren't taking away anything from anyone.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kage - 12-23-2014

On the concept of the female Au Ra and Aldotsk's icon reminding me..

I totally see a Saber vibe coming from them now.

I can't unsee.

One of them ladies is gonna rock a DRK/PLD/WAR outfit hard.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kellach Woods - 12-23-2014

I don't get where "given to us" comes from though.

This is content part of an expansion that is SOLD to us.

You can like it, you can not like it, but this ain't a gift.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Gegenji - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 12:55 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I don't get where "given to us" comes from though.

This is content part of an expansion that is SOLD to us.

And therefore they'll want a new race that appeals to the most people and encourage more folks to purchase the expansion. There's a whole bunch of other neat stuff that could sway folks too (the new classes, higher level caps, and other additional content), but it's not a bad plan to cover all the bases.

Staying "safe" and not doing anything too far from the norm is not uncommon for the Final Fantasy series as a whole, after all. And, to a lesser extent, the video game industry - stick with something you know will sell over going out on a limb and trying something new that could potentially flop.