Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Zyrusticae - 12-24-2014

I hope you're not surprised by that.

[Image: 4QFhGjl.jpg]
[Image: FaOPqLa.jpg]
Source
---
NSFW

Heh. Even in fan art the scales look like accessories...

Side note: Au-Ra really is such a terrible name. If you try to search for it on Pixiv you get all the characters that are also named Aura PLUS pictures that happen to include some kind of aura. They should have stuck an extra vowel on it somewhere at least!

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Naunet - 12-24-2014

The scales are really off-putting. xD They definitely could have blended them better (and made them more pervasive? :O) As they are, it just looks... not good.

*scours dA for some examples*

Show Content

Show Content

Ooooh and not just horns, but head crests. Yessss!

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Flickering Ember - 12-24-2014

(12-23-2014, 12:07 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: My understanding is that while there are majority people who appreciate what's given to us, there is always those who are unappreciative with what's given to us and are annoyed by it. But in the end it's always about 80% appreciative people and 20% complaining people and the developers disregard 20% people because most of them will always be nitpicky about it. Just like my point that I said about 2ch people. :p

(12-23-2014, 12:12 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Even if Au Ra were not being released and Viera was good to be true, we'll have another complaints about how dainty they are. 

oh and also male Viera might not even have those pax on their abdomen.

It took us a long time to establish in this thread that not only is it okay for people to have differing opinions, but it is also not a good idea to make others feel invalidated for having their opinions. Just because someone doesn't like the race doesn't mean they are being unappreciative. Many video game developers seek out and actively respond to feedback. Nor does simply not liking the race mean that you are abrasive and pessimistic. Maybe I could understand where you are coming from if this was just a random, off-topic discussion elsewhere on the forum. But it's not. This thread is a safe place for discussion, no matter what your opinion is on the new race.

When you use this kind of wording,' Even if Au Ra were not being released and Viera was good to be true, we'll have another complaints about how dainty they are. " It makes it sound like we are the bad guys for not liking the same thing as you do. If this was an Au Ra Appreciation Thread I could definitely see how we would be raining on your parade. As it is, no one is trying to smash your cake.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Edvyn - 12-24-2014

(12-24-2014, 01:45 AM)Naunet Wrote: The scales are really off-putting. xD They definitely could have blended them better (and made them more pervasive? :O) As they are, it just looks... not good.

*scours dA for some examples*

Show Content

Show Content

Ooooh and not just horns, but head crests. Yessss!
the scales on the second one just look like warts or eczema or some other horrible skin condition

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Aldotsk - 12-24-2014

(12-24-2014, 01:51 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: It took us a long time to establish in this thread that not only is it okay for people to have differing opinions, but it is also not a good idea to make others feel invalidated for having their opinions. Just because someone doesn't like the race doesn't mean they are being unappreciative. Many video game developers seek out and actively respond to feedback. Nor does simply not liking the race mean that you are abrasive and pessimistic. Maybe I could understand where you are coming from if this was just a random, off-topic discussion elsewhere on the forum. But it's not. This thread is a safe place for discussion, no matter what your opinion is on the new race.

When you use this kind of wording,' Even if Au Ra were not being released and Viera was good to be true, we'll have another complaints about how dainty they are. " It makes it sound like we are the bad guys for not liking the same thing as you do. If this was an Au Ra Appreciation Thread I could definitely see how we would be raining on your parade. As it is, no one is trying to smash your cake.

Oh please, I barely have bashed anyone in this thread and if you want to make me look like I am the villain of this argument - by all means. It's just a laughing matter to me.

There is a difference between "not liking it" with a simple opinion and "really really not liking it" by going over the details to take it to another level when it doesn't need to. So what if the character looks cute? I am sure at least 80% players want to play cute characters, 15% don't really care either way, and 5% are those who REALLY want ugly characters because they seem "realistic" enough.

The truth? We only have like 2 major servers for RP, and 1-2 minor servers that is growing with RP. And the rest of the servers and players don't RP and they look at cuteness over how creatures should look realistic. That's the sad truth. Some people will just come up and say "I play ugly characters and I am damn fine" but most of the others don't. They want to be materialistic, and beautiful in a game - and that's just the harsh truth.

Don't like Au Ra? Then sure. Feel free to rant about it. But don't expect other people to just be accepting your opinions, because in community and in life, people will always agree or disagree.

(12-24-2014, 02:44 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 01:51 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: things

Oh please, I barely have bashed anyone in this thread and if you want to make me look like I am the villain of this argument - by all means. It's just a laughing matter to me.
you're being passive aggressive stop doing that

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - g0ne - 12-24-2014

*returns hoping things will have FINALLY calmed down by now, finds things are still tense and heated*

Cry

*slowly and quietly leaves yet again*

(12-24-2014, 02:48 AM)Edvyn Wrote:

Just like relationships and Christmas present dramas. :>

(12-24-2014, 02:52 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:

this is not something to aspire to

(12-24-2014, 02:53 AM)Edvyn Wrote:

We can keep discussing this if you wish. Tongue

(12-24-2014, 02:55 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 02:44 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: Oh please, I barely have bashed anyone in this thread and if you want to make me look like I am the villain of this argument - by all means. It's just a laughing matter to me.

id rather not

(12-24-2014, 02:55 AM)Edvyn Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 02:48 AM)Edvyn Wrote: you're being passive aggressive stop doing that

id rather not

Good. Carrying on to keep the thread going.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Iex - 12-24-2014

Currently... we don't know the story of what the scales actually are and how they play with the race, but if we go by the models of the rest of the races. They all have smooth skin, like.... super smooth.

If they are actually "draconic" scales... they don't actually look like scales. The look more like ridges and plates to me. They also could be some sort of natural armor. These are the first play race to have something other than baby bottom smooth skin.

Animals such as some Armadillos have plates on their body that don't smooth into the skin. It could also be chitin or some sort. If we want to look at more possibilities in D&D there is a monster modifier (sort of) of "Dire" which basically means it is such and such animal with boney protrusions.

My theory is they aren't scales but the following: (THIS IS JUST A THEORY)

However, the more I look at it... the more it seems to be some sort of natural armor with heavy artistic design. It protects the neck, the arms, and the wrists by what we can see from the pictures. (We will only know how much more when we get to strip them to small clothes) If we go by the clothes they may have a culture slightly more, I wouldn't say tribal but at least by the shredded clothes, wild? So perhaps the natural armor protects the more vital areas that could be attacked by beasts.

(12-24-2014, 02:56 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 02:52 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: Just like relationships and Christmas present dramas. :>

id rather not

that was passive aggressive too

(12-24-2014, 02:57 AM)Iex Wrote: Currently... we don't know the story of what the scales actually are and how they play with the race, but if we go by the models of the rest of the races. They all have smooth skin, like.... super smooth.

If they are actually "draconic" scales... they don't actually look like scales. The look more like ridges and plates to me. They also could be some sort of natural armor. These are the first play race to have something other than baby bottom smooth skin.

Animals such as some Armadillos have plates on their body that don't smooth into the skin. It could also be chitin or some sort. If we want to look at more possibilities in D&D there is a monster modifier (sort of) of "Dire" which basically means it is such and such animal with boney protrusions.

My theory is they aren't scales but the following: (THIS IS JUST A THEORY)

However, the more I look at it... the more it seems to be some sort of natural armor with heavy artistic design. It protects the neck, the arms, and the wrists by what we can see from the pictures. (We will only know how much more when we get to strip them to small clothes) If we go by the clothes they may have a culture slightly more, I wouldn't say tribal but at least by the shredded clothes, wild? So perhaps the natural armor protects the more vital areas that could be attacked by beasts.

Well technically, the trailers in slightly dark gray backgrounds and screen is extremely vague for anyone to determine whether they have scales to their skin or not. But aren't these from Othard  though? So maybe they'll give brief lore of Othard that they are not related to Dravanians etc.

(12-24-2014, 02:58 AM)Edvyn Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 02:56 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 02:53 AM)Edvyn Wrote: this is not something to aspire to

id rather not

that was passive aggressive too
I am pretty sure your sarcasm is passive aggressive too, considering that you are now just trolling to make your points to be nitpicky and digress over and over again since you haven't really posted anything productive in your post histories.