Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) (/showthread.php?tid=16360)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Virella - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 06:03 PM)Eliane Dufresne Wrote: House of Commons -- Commoners, are democratically elected.
If it's going to be anything like UK politics... as far as my ex informed me, it is more 'who can buy votes', so lots of rich folk, who mostly don't even live in the UK, but only fly back x times per year, get these positions.

But yeah, as far as I know, they get elected.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Kellach Woods - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 08:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Inquisitors
Do they even exist anymore? The Church's heavy-handed means to keeping Ishgard devout has been presumably abolished in the wake of the revelations of the MSQ, and again that new government thing probably isn't too keen on torturing people for being friends with their new allies.

According to the Hildibrand questline, they still exist, and may have something to do with the people shadowing the Mandervilles in Coerthas Western Highlands.

Y'know, after Julyan blows a gasket and /bstances with a giant frypan?

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 06:03 PM)Eliane Dufresne Wrote: Can any Brits in the house offer an ELI5 on how this whole thing works? <.< I'm a Yank lurking in Canada, so I only kind of know about the British government. As I understand it though, the TLDR is:

House of Commons -- Commoners, are democratically elected.

House of Lords -- Clergymen and Nobility. Initially -all- noble families were given a seat, then they had to be appointed.

Aymeric -- How the hell do we refer to him? Is he the Lord Speaker or the Lord Chancellor now?

Both Houses -- Either can introduce a bill, but it can't pass without the other's approval? Neither can stop a bill from going into law, but they can scrutinize it and send it back for editing until a compromise has been reached (in theory anyway)?

It seems like the system has been through a lot of reform, especially since the early 2000's, so it'd be interesting to know which version SE is imagining here.

Man, they left so much unexplained. :/
My favorite tidbit of the English Parliamentary fun is that lords and unelected representatives are not allowed in the house of commons.

IT IS THE REALM OF THE COMMON (rich and powerful, but common) MAN.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Wemrys - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 06:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
Do they even exist anymore? The Church's heavy-handed means to keeping Ishgard devout has been presumably abolished in the wake of the revelations of the MSQ, and again that new government thing probably isn't too keen on torturing people for being friends with their new allies.

According to the Hildibrand questline, they still exist, and may have something to do with the people shadowing the Mandervilles in Coerthas Western Highlands.

The Hildebrand questline seems to canonically take place before the end of 3.3 and the establishment of the House of Lords/Commons as when you speak with Cyr in Foundation after finishing both those quests and the 3.3 quests he tells you the Inquisitors are packing it up and he's out of a job (see my post on the previous page in this thread).

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Kellach Woods - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 06:39 PM)Wemrys Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 06:28 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

The Hildebrand questline seems to canonically take place before the end of 3.3 and the establishment of the House of Lords/Commons as when you speak with Cyr in Foundation after finishing both those quests and the 3.3 quests he tells you the Inquisitors are packing it up and he's out of a job (see my post on the previous page in this thread).

Yeah, but you know that when the questline continues he'll be the point of contact.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Cato - 06-08-2016

I'm torn, personally. Ishgard was so interesting to me because it wasn't necessarily a pleasant place. We knew as far back as before we stepped through the gates that something wasn't quite right about the place but it feels like a wasted opportunity to me to just wrap up everything into a nice little package where there's peace with the dragons and the rich and poor live side by side in harmony.

I hope there's more to do it than that but it's likely that 3.4 and 3.5 will take us away from Ishgard itself now that the battle against Nidhogg is concluded.

It's a shame that the Inquisition isn't likely to be a major part of Ishgard anymore - I liked the 'grit' that sort of thing provided since I don't want fantasy nations to succumb to revolving around modern day interpretations of morality and the story can't be as deep as it could be if the antagonists are pushed into the 'evil' category and the protagonists are shown as 'good' at every turn.

Still, overall 3.3 was decent enough I suppose. I did walk away a little underwhelmed by the lack of any major deaths, though. I dislike it when nameless generic soldiers are the only real casualties in a major battle. I'm glad Estinien, survived, though. He feels much more 'Ishgardian' to me than Aymeric does.

I'm also a little concerned that this 'House of Lords'  and 'House of Commons' will be exploited by certain members of Balmung's community as an excuse to grab a lot of power and influence IC. I won't be getting involved with any of that myself, of course, but much like anyone choosing to avoid interacting with people role-playing major NPC's it can quite easily cut a lot of people out of major player created events.

As far as Ishgard is concerned for my character, though, the new airship routes will make it much easier to travel to and from the city so he'll be encouraging Ishgardians to visit La Noscea.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - V'aleera - 06-08-2016

I'm almost 100% certain that Estinien will be our DRG job quest NPC in 4.0. Setting him on the adventurer's path was a good move by SE to give them an easy way to establish the future job quests beyond Ishgard. I imagine Orrin's question about the inner dragon stuff will be touched on then as well.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Parvacake - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 08:10 PM)Graeham Wrote: (Snippity Snip)
I think there's still plenty of opportunity to play towards a darker side of Ishgard. I mean, they highlighted in other patches, like with the peace conference, how strongly some people still feel. That is generations of hatred and sorrow and misery. While the upper layer is browning nicely in the warmth of peace, there's still going to be so much going down below that the MSQ would never be able to cover in great detail. Which could also extend to the Inquisition.

I'm not too worried about the House of Lords and the House of Commons. Most roleplayers seem to do pretty well with keeping their power at believable levels or being so blatant that it's easy to see from afar and avoid if desired.

I cried like a bitch at the end of everything. Because I'm a sap.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Kellach Woods - 06-09-2016

I did not expect to see Ferdiad again after that roflstomping we gave him.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Seriphyn - 06-09-2016

Sultana, you fail. Ishgard beat you to republicanism, and you've been dragging your feet for a year.

When I first heard the word 'republic', I was hoping this didn't instantly mean democracy. Ishgard could have been a republic under the rule of the noble houses, where only the nobles elected rulers from among themselves. I suppose that wouldn't fit the narrative of how the lowborn were exploited by the religious nobility for centuries, however.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Caspar - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 12:26 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I did not expect to see Ferdiad again after that roflstomping we gave him.
They clearly foreshadowed his return with the cackling cutscene after you finish Amdapoor Keep HM, but I didn't think he'd be relevant in a storyline of any sort, just another last boss in a dungeon.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - LystAP - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 12:41 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: Sultana, you fail. Ishgard beat you to republicanism, and you've been dragging your feet for a year.

When I first heard the word 'republic', I was hoping this didn't instantly mean democracy. Ishgard could have been a republic under the rule of the noble houses, where only the nobles elected rulers from among themselves. I suppose that wouldn't fit the narrative of how the lowborn were exploited by the religious nobility for centuries, however.
Well, in a sense, the clergy also exploited the highborn as well for their war. By separating church from state - you give more power to the high houses, whom no longer need religious motivations to do what they want. While the highborn base a lot off their legitimacy off religious reasons, it doesn't change the fact that they're essentially the rulers of the nation, with or without that Halonic legitimacy; since there are many men who are honestly loyal to them, as exemplified by some of the quests you do.

Mind, they have to contend with the House of Commons, but they're also one of the only sources of funding and connections in a historically isolated nation-state that can support those trying to get elected in the Commons. It's the same as with what would have happened in Ul'dah; although the latter would probably be worse, since it's apparently a tradition to bribe people there.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Teadrinker - 06-09-2016

Tbh I think Estenien should have died and the WoL and Alphinaud should have had to kill him.

It'd really drive in Matoya's words about what you have to be willing to do in a war and would have been a pretty badass stepping stone for the character.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 05:07 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: Tbh I think Estenien should have died and the WoL and Alphinaud should have had to kill him.

It'd really drive in Matoya's words about what you have to be willing to do in a war and would have been a pretty badass stepping stone for the character.
Not every lesson needs to come true immediately.

Give it some time!

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Aya - 06-09-2016

I actually had just mapped out a major many part story that was going to tie into Aya's history in the city, and bring her back to it.  And well.. never mind.  There's just no tension left into it.  I may still use it as the foundation for something, but the underlying characters and plot are just pointless now since the conflict is entirely resolved by the collapse of church authority.

I've never liked the trajectory of Ishgard in HW, especially the casting of the Ishgardian Church as cardbord cut-out comic book villains. I feel like its just a loss of terrific potential - and a disappointing way of resolving tension for characters from the city.

They write their story, obviously, to be a video game story rather than to provide a setting for original stories, and if I really want to I should be able to write something similar to what I was planning on. But given that I was looking to make a major summer writing project of it I'm really rather disappointed at the moment. I should probably be happy there being absolutely nothing at all keeping Aya from returning to the city, but its about as anti-climactic as it comes. That isn't the way I'd wanted to go about it.