Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Tropes! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Tropes! (/showthread.php?tid=2565)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Character Tropes! - Ashren Dotharl - 07-31-2013

I probably could have done a lot more, but here we go.

Show Content

RE: Character Tropes! - AFriendOfAFriend - 07-31-2013

Must... stop... pressing... random...

Show Content

RE: Character Tropes! - Uther - 07-31-2013

Working on a new character (possibly even my main) named Eko Tenok. I'll have him fully ready by phase 4, and a short story posted about him hopefully by tomorrow. Consider these tropes a "teaser trailer"

Raised by Wolves - Close enough. Eko's people do not have religion, technology, money, a written language, oral legends, or anything more advanced than stone tools.
Hungry Jungle - First twenty-some cycles of his life.
Lost World - Eko's jungle-island birthplace. No one (including Eko) knows exactly where it is on a map or what it's called.
Noble Savage - Raised in a primitive tribe of people who barely understand tools.
Wild Child - See "Noble Savage"
Walking Shirtless Scene - From birth to age twenty-something, Eko lived one long Shirtless Scene coupled with Loin Cloth.
The Berserker - Eko is sophisticated until he enters a fight. Old habits die hard.
Chaotic Good - Coming from a place with no defined law structure, Eko sees most authority figures as a nuisance at best and oppressors at worst.
Determinator - Comes from both his bestial nature (in combat) and his obsession with the world outside of his jungle more than any specific altruism.
Cultured Badass - Eko is a complete xenophile, and has learned to emulate sophisticated society.
Genius Bruiser - Has an affinity for alchemy and linguistics, despite his history.
Occult Detective - Logic: "It takes the dangerous and unusual to understand the dangerous and unusual." - This one's more of a reference to his membership in Misericorde than anything else.

RE: Character Tropes! - doctorgalactic - 07-31-2013

This is great, I'll throw mine into the fold Smile

Small Steps Hero
The Confidant
Undying Loyalty
Death by Origin Story
Taught by Experience
We Help the Helpless
Martyr Without a Cause
Messy Hair

RE: Character Tropes! - FreelanceWizard - 08-01-2013

*claps hands together* So! Let's take a look at L'yhta, shall we?

Show Content

RE: Character Tropes! - Gideon Aryeh - 08-18-2013

Just pushing this up for those who are waiting to get in game. A fun waste of time.

RE: Character Tropes! - Roda - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 05:55 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: Just pushing this up for those who are waiting to get in game. A fun waste of time.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY TIME??!

RE: Character Tropes! - Asyria - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 05:55 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: Just pushing this up for those who are waiting to get in game. A fun waste of time.

Thanks I was too lazy to look for it and have to do my other characters. Tongue

Jeanette Lenoire
Kicking Ass In All Her Finery is what she aspires to as a Thaumaturge/Weaver
The Fashionista is half of her, with...
The Lady of Black Magic being the other half.
Dark is not Evil "I prefer to call it 'efficient'." -Jeanette
Combat Pragmatism "Fighting with honor? Please! I aim to win, not inspire poems about my defeat." - Jeanette

Helena Duval
Jack Of All Trades Actually Jane, but details. She's just one of those people who seem talented at everything they try.
Badass Bookworm represents her well as her levels in DoW classes come from Awesomeness by Analysis.

RE: Character Tropes! - Chakha Malqir - 08-19-2013

Here are some fun tropes for Virgil!

Show Content

Show Content

RE: Character Tropes! - Corelyn - 08-19-2013

Oh boy. Well... this is definitely gonna take some thought. The original Corelyn (from WoW) was, at the time I left, a Broken Bird Hikkikomori who had taken far too many hits from life to really have anything close to happiness outside of forcing herself to try. That said, yay getting back to basics and reinventing her, hopefully, a bit of a happier way (since good RP doesn't -always- go the way you want X-D).

Badass Bookworm
This is, quite simply, the basis of Corelyn's existence. Aside from her "darker" style of dress, she is relatively unimposing - short, mousey, and rather fragile - but her mind makes up for that and then some. Simply put, she's a "total screaming genius." (Points to whomever gets that reference.)

Meganekko (Glasses Girl)
It's rather uncertain whether or not she -needs- glasses, given she can function well without them, but Corelyn will tell you that she wears them to correct a small issue that irks her when reading. She just opts to wear them all the time. If I'm RPing Corelyn actively, no matter what level or gear I have... you can bet her head gear will be a pair of glasses.

Measuring the Marigolds
Corelyn tends to see more from her books and brain than from her eyes. Everything, at first glance, is reduced to numbers, figures, and equations. Everything must be explained. Beauty and the like are nice, so long as she knows the -reason- they are that way first, and often, she will see beauty in things no one else can from the complexity and impossibility involved in their being.

Genius Cripple
While not completely disabled in any major way, Corelyn is fragile at best, leading her gait to be very cautious and calculated. More often than not, she is liable to be wounded much worse than most. However, she makes up for this by (over-)compensating with her intellect. Ties in directly with... 

Glass Cannon / Squishy Wizard
She can dish it out, but she certainly can't take it. A force to be reckoned with, whether it's in some accident in scribbling arcanima designs in her tomes or just taking a hit a bigger, tougher person could shrug off easily, a decent hit could grievously wound her. To this end, she's forced to compensate greatly - that is, when she's not diverting her full attention to something else.
Squishy Wizard applies primarily to this Corelyn as most other versions are technology-reliant and are disabled in both physical and magical abilities (come on Magitek class! >_>).

Magic is Mental
This is kind of a universal thing. Smart = magic!

Disabled Snarker
Especially snarky if she's nursing some sort of wound or otherwise at a disadvantage due to her physical ineptness, Corelyn's prone to snark in the first place - but is especially prone to being Enraged by Idiocy.

The Spock
This is more a mistake that others make. While her cool head and tendency toward an apathy-like calm, people tend to see her as emotionless, cold and logical. However, she's...

No So Stoic
She bottles things up, be it positive or negative emotion, and eventually releases them in bursts, often to herself or at overwhelming moments. This is often fairly contained or limited to so much as a fit of laughter or a breakdown behind closed doors. There are also some things she doesn't bother holding back. However, when things get extreme enough and she has no outlet...

Rant-Inducing Slight
When she finally can't take anymore of the stupid, the ignorant, or just anything in general that is pissing her off, she will likely go off the deep end and start screaming at whomever happened to be the last straw. Though it will not always be at that person in particular. She may just fume until she sees that person next, then explode without warning into a "The Reason You Suck" Speech. She's a little too good at those.

I Work Alone
While not entirely averse to help, she will more often than not decline. This is mostly due to her confidence in her own ability to complete a task with the utmost efficiency, and that adding another party would complicate her calculations with too many variables or unknowns. She will, however, work with people she can predict.

Socially Awkward Hero
She has no fear of going into the wilds to test a new spell or pattern from her tomes, but when confronted with most sorts of social interaction... she'll procrastinate, often even blowing it off entirely. While she does possess some manner of social skill, she's still rather awkward due to her general disinclination to be in such situations.

Too Clever by Half
Be careful if Corelyn's writing in a one of her tomes or grimoires... while she's got a brilliant mind, she's far from perfect and is known to have some spectacular failures. More than once has she blown up a grimoire by accident, set her immediate surroundings ablaze, or even blown herself up.

Familiar
Somewhat obvious, given the Arcanist class and Carbuncle. Hers is named Xiin (ZEEN). The difference in the Emerald and Topaz are simply different forms of the same.

There are probably a lot more, but... I'm gonna stop while I'm ahead. This is bad for my Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!

RE: Character Tropes! - Qhora Bajihri - 08-19-2013

Aaaugh, the time-wastey. I approve, though. 'tis fun. I really haven't solidified Darien enough to give solid explanations, but it was definitely a good exercise in picking the kind of things I want to develop more as I play him.

RE: Character Tropes! - Asyria - 08-19-2013

If you want to waste even more time, try copy-pasting your tropes from here to your character wiki page and figure out the differences between wiki link codes and the forum codes. Tongue

RE: Character Tropes! - Ari Kagon - 08-20-2013

I had some time to kill so here it is. I apologize for the lack of spoiler tag..I can't quite figure them out. >.> 

Fantastic Racist: Daddy instilled this into her growing up. Mostly aimed toward WW Elezen but not limited to the other races. Though, she has gotten better over time with either holding her tongue or dispelling these thoughts altogether. However, she is still prone to foot-in-mouth moments.

Deadpan Snarker: She is very fluent in Sarcasm.

Grey and Gray Morality: Not completely "evil" but not really a "goodie goodie" Her morality depends on the situation and the result.  

Too Clever by Half: Very good at thievery and deception but when she slips up, it's a pretty epic failure.

Lovable Rogue: At least she likes to think so.

Crazy Prepared: After the Calamity, she ALWAYS comes up with a contingency plan for EVERY situation, no matter how mundane.  

Riddle Me This: A strange quirk of hers. She does this to either, gauge reliability of a person, or to talk her way out of a situation.

Kuudere: A mix of types 1 and 2. 

The Fatalist: Big time considering she is a follower of Nymeia.

Classy Cat Burglar: She refers to herself as an "opportunist". No..she doesn't wear cat suits...

RE: Character Tropes! - Raccoon - 08-20-2013

I was too lazy to do this for more than one of my characters, and I could probably have added plenty more but I got tired of it.

Show Content

RE: Character Tropes! - Kouen Elfrit - 08-20-2013

I wasted so much time just by looking at these but its so much fun

Kouen Xawn
Lets get dangerous

Not a morning person

We do the impossible

Papa Wolf

Clueless Chick Magnet

Deadpan Snarker

Combat pragmatist

Stroke the Beard